RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jill Biden wants...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/04/23 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only LSU is invited.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36058616/jill-biden-wants-national-champ-lsu-runner-iowa-white-house

Quote:
The First Lady's press secretary, Vanessa Valdivia, took to Twitter on Tuesday to clarify, saying that Jill Biden "admires how far women have advanced in sports since the passing of Title IX" and that "Her comments in Colorado were intended to applaud the historic game and all women athletes. She looks forward to celebrating the LSU Tigers on their championship win at the White House."

Also on Tuesday morning, President Biden tweeted that he's looking forward to welcoming the women's NCAA champions to the White House with no mention of Iowa.

"Congrats to @LSUwbkb who demonstrated excellence on and off the court. They showed us what it looks like to win with an unrelenting belief in themselves. And they did it in one of the most-watched women's sports games in US history. You have an incredible school, @LSUpresident."

greg5222

PostPosted: 04/04/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PUmatty"]Only LSU is invited.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36058616/jill-biden-wants-national-champ-lsu-runner-iowa-white-house

[quote]The First Lady's press secretary, Vanessa Valdivia, took to Twitter on Tuesday to clarify, saying that Jill Biden "admires how far women have advanced in sports since the passing of Title IX" and that "Her comments in Colorado were intended to applaud the historic game and all women athletes. She looks forward to celebrating the LSU Tigers on their championship win at the White House."

Also on Tuesday morning, President Biden tweeted that he's looking forward to welcoming the women's NCAA champions to the White House with no mention of Iowa.

"Congrats to @LSUwbkb who demonstrated excellence on and off the court. They showed us what it looks like to win with an unrelenting belief in themselves. And they did it in one of the most-watched women's sports games in US history. You have an incredible school, @LSUpresident."

GOOD!!!

PostPosted: 04/04/23 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
LSU star Angel Reese tweeted a link to a story on Jill Biden's remarks Monday. "A JOKE," she wrote, along with three rolling-on-floor-laughing emojis.

Then stay home.

Why shouldn't Reese consider it a joke that for the first time ever, the losing team is being considered for a White House invite? It's nonsense. I said a lot of shit about the officiating and about Mulkey in various game threads on the Internet, but LSU won and earned the invite. Iowa lost. If they want to go to the White House they can win a title.

Queenie, this isn't directly to you, I just don't feel like responding to all the comments and your post was handy.

She can be pissed all she wants. She can be fucking pissed if she wants to be fucking pissed.

It's an invitation that is often offered to winning teams (I'll never understand why, but whatever).

Sometimes in life you just bite your tongue and be gracious. Sometimes you need to remove the chip from your shoulder or the stick up your ass.

Plus, no invitation has been extended to Iowa (or LSU for that matter afaik. There's nothing to be pissed about yet.

Arkansas won a title while Bill was in office and he wanted to throw them a party and it snowballed into EVERY champion now get an invite, on the taxpayers dime. Its bullshit and one of the many ridiculous ways the government wastes money that could be stopped and not be missed.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Arkansas won a title while Bill was in office and he wanted to throw them a party and it snowballed into EVERY champion now get an invite, on the taxpayers dime.

It's been going on longer than that.

Here's Ronald Reagan with the 1987 NCAA football champions

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Reagan_with_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team_1988.jpg/640px-Reagan_with_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team_1988.jpg

Here's Jimmy Carter with the 1979 NFL champs

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/97cQ0ICeE0UQ2lEGoyW33Fz4Io0=/0x0:1023x575/1200x800/filters:focal(431x207:593x369)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72008915/carter_steelers_national_archives.0.jpg

The tradition started with US Grant, who invited the National League champion Cincinnati Red Stocking to the White House in 1869.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michael wrote:
Arkansas won a title while Bill was in office and he wanted to throw them a party and it snowballed into EVERY champion now get an invite, on the taxpayers dime.

It's been going on longer than that.

Here's Ronald Reagan with the 1987 NCAA football champions

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Reagan_with_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team_1988.jpg/640px-Reagan_with_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team_1988.jpg

Here's Jimmy Carter with the 1979 NFL champs

https://cdn.vox-
cdn.com/thumbor/97cQ0ICeE0UQ2lEGoyW33Fz4Io0=/0x0:1023x575/1200x800/filters:focal(431x207:593x369)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/72008915/carter_steelers_national_archives.0.jpg

The tradition started with US Grant, who invited the National League champion Cincinnati Red Stocking to the White House in 1869.

School the masses pilight!!! That's what you do!!!!

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I don’t think runner-ups usually go to the White House,” Clark said. “I think LSU should enjoy that moment for them. Congratulations, obviously, they deserve to go there. Maybe I can go to the White House on different terms, though. But I think that’s for LSU. That’s a pretty cool moment and they should enjoy every single second of being a champion. So I think that’s theirs to do.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
What a racist...

The black team won, but I want the white team to come...

🗑️ take from 🗑️ poster

+1000. Here's a fork, Bucks. Go eat your words.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
"I don’t think runner-ups usually go to the White House,” Clark said. “I think LSU should enjoy that moment for them. Congratulations, obviously, they deserve to go there. Maybe I can go to the White House on different terms, though. But I think that’s for LSU. That’s a pretty cool moment and they should enjoy every single second of being a champion. So I think that’s theirs to do.

Agreed.

Yes, and look who showed more class than Angel Reese, who sounded like her spoiled brat self.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

Agreed.

Yes, and look who showed more class than Angel Reese, who sounded like her spoiled brat self.

Maybe now CC will stop her "dissing" of other players and teams now. What do you think?

PostPosted: 04/04/23 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

Agreed.

Maybe now CC will stop her "dissing" of other players and teams now. What do you think?

Uh, who's doing the dissing? Reese and Mulkey have done far more of that. Stand down.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

Agreed.

Nope. I mean she didn’t feel Angel was out of line and I do t think she feels it’s inappropriate when she does it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This should settle it.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/04/caitlin-clark-angel-reese-college-basketball-ncaa-gesture-trash-talk

PostPosted: 04/05/23 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all are NUTZ, if you really lose any sleep over shit like this. Laughing Laughing

The invitation's been extended, and Iowa isn't invited. Razz

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/05/23 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Y'all are NUTZ, if you really lose any sleep over shit like this. Laughing Laughing

LET'S GET OUTRAGED REGARDLESS!!!(#&^#@!

PostPosted: 04/05/23 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Howee wrote:

LET'S GET OUTRAGED REGARDLESS!!!(#&^#@!

That does seem to be the current MO.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/23 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel rejects explanation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/tourney/2023/04/05/angel-reese-rejects-jill-biden-explanation-white-house-invite-lsu-iowa/11606621002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/23 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Angel rejects explanation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/tourney/2023/04/05/angel-reese-rejects-jill-biden-explanation-white-house-invite-lsu-iowa/11606621002/

Further convinces me that she needs to just grow up some more.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m starting to wonder who is going to be running the show in Baton Rogue: Queen Angel of Cajun Kim?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/23 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I’m starting to wonder who is going to be running the show in Baton Rogue: Queen Angel of Cajun Kim?

Sounds like Ashley Owusu would fit in just fine down there. /s

PostPosted: 04/05/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe somebody, somewhere, somehow is gonna teach her a lesson or three in sportsmanship and humility. Can't wait. Cool

PostPosted: 04/05/23 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I sincerely hope Jill Biden will suggest the San Diego State men be invited to the White House with UConn. The alternative is too sad to contemplate.

Of course Dr Biden didn't do this. She thinks these college women should be treated like children and coddled when they lose. She has a higher opinion of the college men's ability to cope with disappointment.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly think she just did it because everyone was loving Caitlin Clark and she was getting so much attention, that everyone would love this too, but it backfired and no matter how much people were loving her this was a step too far.

If she said I would love to invite Caitlin to the White House or to meet her as a separate gesture it probably would have been more well received.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/23 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
I sincerely hope Jill Biden will suggest the San Diego State men be invited to the White House with UConn. The alternative is too sad to contemplate.

Of course Dr Biden didn't do this. She thinks these college women should be treated like children and coddled when they lose. She has a higher opinion of the college men's ability to cope with disappointment.

Now, THERE'S one of your less brilliant moments, pilight. Rolling Eyes

I dunno....has she ever BEEN to a national championship game? If she was, did she make that offer to the runner-up there, too? Prolly not....

I'm thinking this was her first experience with this, and she was impressed with how valiantly both teams played; maybe it was just a congenial gesture she made to be a gracious person. As an educator, maybe she was just thinking along the lines of how honoring a Salutatorian is no offense to the Valedictorian. Regardless, it's very gracious of YOU to decide what she's actually thinking.

PostPosted: 04/05/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand why Reese called Jill Biden's comments a joke and why she's taken a defensive stance but I think it'd be cool if Michelle Obama invited Reese over and during dinner had a conversation with her about how accepting the invitation to the WH could go a long way toward diplomacy and might give Reese a chance to have an important conversation with Jill Biden.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a simple explanation for this that doesn't fit the outrage.

The DNC is pushing Iowa back several spots on the primary calendar. For the first time in a long time (ever?), Iowa won't be the first piece of the presidential puzzle. Inviting the team to the White House was a way of throwing the state a bone--maybe making them a bit less pissed at the Dems. If there hadn't been the silly controversy over Reese's behavior, it probably would never have been seen as any big deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: