RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Louisiana St vs #2 Iowa - 4/02/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Louisiana St
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Iowa
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
Reese taunting Clark at the end of the game was bush league. Go celebrate with your team...

Yeah, that was low. Both Reese and Clark are great players but they irritate me with some of the non-basketball antics.

When Clark did the exact same thing.... no problem huh!! Clark got an IG from John Cena. Will Reese get one?

Did not see Clark do the "exact same thing". When did that happen?

You must not read!!! Read or seek and you will find!!! Why is it everybody knows that except you!! Use your search engine. She did it.

Are you talking about her "waving off" the ball hander and playing defense in the paint? That's nothing compared to seeking out the player and taunting them.

I don't have an opinion of either player, Clark or Reese, so I'm not playing "favorites"

Seek John Cena. Search him and find out why he responded back to her. Oh, I guess you must be taught what the gesture means!!!

I did search John Cena. I don't watch WWE. You didn't answer my question. Are you referring to what Clark did in the semi? Those two things are completely different.

Everybody gets it except you. So, if you don't get it that's on you!!

Lucky for me that I read this article before I got to this part of the thread.

Also, I had turned off the TV so that I didn't have to watch those refs embarrass themselves in front of a national audience anymore.

This might help explain what happened at the end.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/04/02/caitlin-clark-taunted-angel-reese-during-lsu-championship-win/11589919002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what do you all think of this?

https://twitter.com/ntonio_Villegas/status/1642647257710198785

Iowa needs to coach the team to let the coaches know to have shit like this looked at.

And if you go on down the page to the one that Paxton Molinari posted...the one where Kim moves like a pink and gold, tiger-striped Tin Man and makes contact with the official.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
So what do you all think of this?

https://twitter.com/ntonio_Villegas/status/1642647257710198785

Iowa needs to coach the team to let the coaches know to have shit like this looked at.

And if you go on down the page to the one that Paxton Molinari posted...the one where Kim moves like a pink and gold, tiger-striped Tin Man and makes contact with the official.

I dunno....if you watch that Kim Klip REALLY closely (focus on the REF) you'll see that the ref is actually the one to initiate contact by extending her arm to hold Kim back. In reality, Kim probably shoulda had 3 Ts called on her. But that could have only served to motivate her players to even more fervor.

True, the reffing was historically bad (actually, HERstorically bad, as they were all females) but honest to god....who EVER saw such shooting before? Shocked

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
True, the reffing was historically bad

The worst part is that it wasn't historically bad. It was the same old bad we always get.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
True, the reffing was historically bad

The worst part is that it wasn't historically bad. It was the same old bad we always get.

Laughing I dunno....it was the shittiest "bad" I've ever seen. Razz

The players' performances/antics, Kim's antics, the gargantuan crowd are all deserving of the attention they've gotten as they boost our game on social media, etc. It's kinda sad that the officiating is among the things most talked-about in this game.

I was also impressed at the celebrities in attendance, starting with Dr. Biden. Cool

PostPosted: 04/02/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Morris was MVP!

Carson and the other two bench players blew this game wide open in the 2nd quarter!

And the Officiating capped it!

Congratulations LSU!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/02/23 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tech explained.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/caitlin-clark-technical-foul-national-championship-referee-explains

greg5222

PostPosted: 04/02/23 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa had previously received a delay of game warning for batting the ball away after a made basket. It caused a delay.

Clark then tossed the ball behind her back, causing another delay. In that instance, refs went to the rulebook and called a technical foul on the Iowa guard.

"Iowa received a delay of game warning in the third period at the 7:28 mark for batting the ball away after a made basket, causing a delay," Jones explained. "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle was blown. Rule reference -- Rule 10, Section 12, Article 3K. The definition of the delay can be found in Rule 4, Section 9, Article 1F, by family to and it reads, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle is blow."

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
Iowa had previously received a delay of game warning for batting the ball away after a made basket. It caused a delay.

Clark then tossed the ball behind her back, causing another delay. In that instance, refs went to the rulebook and called a technical foul on the Iowa guard.

"Iowa received a delay of game warning in the third period at the 7:28 mark for batting the ball away after a made basket, causing a delay," Jones explained. "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle was blown. Rule reference -- Rule 10, Section 12, Article 3K. The definition of the delay can be found in Rule 4, Section 9, Article 1F, by failing to and it reads, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle is blown."

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

Given that this happened on a dead ball and there was no advantage gained, the only thing would be that she failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest ref. That's pretty much equivalent to being in the lane 3.1 seconds.

It would be interesting to go back and watch the game again (If anyone has the stomach!) and see if LSU ever touched the ball after a basket or failed to get it immediately to a ref. I'd venture that there would be at least a time or two that happened.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/02/23 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Turned. It. Off. Sickening display from Kimmy's horrifying outfit to completely incompetent officiating. Officials screwed the pooch in the biggest game of the year.

And..yes, those two bogus offensive fouls on Caitlin took away much of her game. In the biggest game of the year. All the LSU elbows smack in the face = no calls. Complete incompetence.

But at least I had the choice to turn off the putrifying post game.

I guess you forgot that Morris and Reese sat outmost of the 1st half because of the foul trouble. I noticed your rant over at the Den about the officials taking Iowa out of their game but I can't post there. Carson's three point shooting blew the game wide open for LSU. Ironically the foul trouble for the LSU starters was the reason Carson was on the floor for most of the 2nd quarter.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Alexis Morris was MVP!

Carson and the other two bench players blew this game wide open in the 2nd quarter!

Congratulations LSU!

Did you see Carson's face when they gave MVP? I felt bad for her,. She is why LSU won, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Howee wrote:
And now, my opinions on some of the opinions expressed in this thread:

singinerd54 wrote:
Interesting that Carson barely played in the 3rd after being the actual MVP/best player in the first half.

I was totally thinking that all through the 3rd period - the kid was white-hot, and Kim keeps her out?!

MsProudSooner wrote:
I read a post that said Kim is a narcissist who will do anything for attention. Sadly, it's only gotten worse over the years.

Hmmm. You might wanna rely on more than "a post" to determine the validity of that opinion. I'd say you wanna talk to some real people before you pass judgment. Razz

And the one player specifically said she did not think it was fair to label Mulkey a homophobe because of the attitudes of the institution she worked at. It was crap writing by someone who had an agenda and did not care to actually write something that was informative, told both sides of the story, or was even fully truthful.
GlennMacGrady wrote:
The Winningest Woman, despite starting with a nine win team two years ago, despite "not knowing how to schedule," and despite "playing no one" all season, manages to win the National Championship in dominant fashion.
Again, for those who notice and value things other than refs and clothing, we've witnessed this season the greatest rebuilding and turnaround performance by a coach in the history of the sport.

*LOUD APPLAUSE!*
Today, Kim accomplished what no one else ever has, or (probably) never will: won 4 National Titles with 2 different teams. Not Pat, not Geno, not Tara.
Michael wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't get this hatred for Kim. Other than her wardrobe.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/ncaa-sec/kim-mulkey-homophobic-history/amp/

That article is a crap hit piece. "Baylor was not going to fire their winning coach that had them contending for titles" [.....] The outfits are sent to her primarily from graduates of the design school at LSU the last two years. Gaudy is certainly a fitting word, as is tacky, but so are most of the crap seen on the runway at fashion shows.

Thank you, Michael for some Realness here. Patrick Pinak Pinhead appears to feel perfectly okay about judging people without actually interviewing them. I'd be shocked he interviewed anybody that he quoted in that article - none of the quotes were new, including THIS quote from Emily (Niemann) Nkosi:
"Coach Mulkey is a member of an athletic department, a school, a town, a state and even a region that is known for its conservative belief system, which very much includes homophobia. As leader and icon in each of these arenas, coach Mulkey has been unfairly singled out as particularly homophobic based on what happened with me and then Brittney Griner". Doesn't that totally undercut your whole point, Patrick? Rolling Eyes

It's a little pathetic that Haters are gonna let sour, bitchy opinions about a woman overshadow the Herstory that was made today. To all you Tiger fans, Congrats!! Cool

Those quotes about her came from two players. Regardless of the opinion of the writer.

She refused to acknowledge Brit during the Russia situation. You know, the player that got her most of her accomplishments.

And she stayed at that athletic department for years. She could have gotten a job anywhere in the country where she didn’t have to oppress gay kids - yet she chose to stay for as long as she did (and certainly didn’t leave because of it.)

Sorry - shitty person.

And of the two players one said she did not think it fair to label Mulkey a homophobe because of where she worked. There is ZERO evidence that Kim Mulkey has anything against gays that is not made up nonsense stemming from she worked at a school that would have kicked her players out if they came out openly. Its a lynch mob mentality that has decided to hang her metaphorically and doesn't care that they have no evidence for their charge.

Nope she did not comment on Griner's case ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. Their relationship was already strained at best and Mulkey took the high road and kept herself out of the issue. Not evidence of anything but good sense.

"She could have gone anywhere".... so if she had showed up at Storrs UConn would have replaced Geno with her? Don't be absurd. She could have left for some bottom feeder school and had to try and rebuild again, but I can't blame her for wanting to stay with the program she had built up to a national power knowing no coach had ever won a title at two separate schools before. There is also the forgotten character of loyalty. Baylor gave her a chance when even LaTech did not believe in her enough to make a quality offer to her. Your whole post is ridiculous and full of half truths and outright outlandish suppositions that its VERY clear your mind is made up and you won't be confused by those pesky things called FACTS. You can fault her for not trying to leave earlier, but I think any WBBall fan with two working brain cells knows how tough building a national program is and that there is an element of luck to it. That should at least make any even marginally objective fan acknowledge that while she could have left, there are a lot of reasons why she stayed and that none of us know for sure we would have walked away from 2 million dollars a year to start over at 400-500k at some school she would have had to build from scratch. Mulkey at LSU is going to be a power for the next few years until she retires. And I for one hope she is judged on what she has done, not on innuendo and mean mouthed gossip that has little basis in the truth. I don't like her sideline demeanor, but its effective. And I am just as glad she is not in the BT so we don't have to see much of her, but she is perhaps the greatest women's coach of all time.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A slight aside.

Raoul posted this regarding Alexis Morris. She committed to UCLA, decommitted and went to Baylor with Mulkey, went to Rutgers, went to Texas A&M, then back to LSU with Mulkey——-she’s a National Champion.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just not a good weekend to be the higher seeded team in the tourney.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

"Iowa received a delay of game warning in the third period at the 7:28 mark for batting the ball away after a made basket, causing a delay," Jones explained. "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle was blown. Rule reference -- Rule 10, Section 12, Article 3K. The definition of the delay can be found in Rule 4, Section 9, Article 1F, by failing to and it reads, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle is blown."

Given that this happened on a dead ball and there was no advantage gained, the only thing would be that she failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest ref. That's pretty much equivalent to being in the lane 3.1 seconds.

Delay of game is always on a dead ball.

Clark's tech was well deserved. She threw the ball out of bounds, away from any official, because she didn't like the call and she wanted to make the ref go fetch it like a dog. That's a tech in any game, anywhere, at any level.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Howee wrote:
And now, my opinions on some of the opinions expressed in this thread:

singinerd54 wrote:
Interesting that Carson barely played in the 3rd after being the actual MVP/best player in the first half.

I was totally thinking that all through the 3rd period - the kid was white-hot, and Kim keeps her out?!

MsProudSooner wrote:
I read a post that said Kim is a narcissist who will do anything for attention. Sadly, it's only gotten worse over the years.

Hmmm. You might wanna rely on more than "a post" to determine the validity of that opinion. I'd say you wanna talk to some real people before you pass judgment. Razz

And the one player specifically said she did not think it was fair to label Mulkey a homophobe because of the attitudes of the institution she worked at. It was crap writing by someone who had an agenda and did not care to actually write something that was informative, told both sides of the story, or was even fully truthful.
GlennMacGrady wrote:
The Winningest Woman, despite starting with a nine win team two years ago, despite "not knowing how to schedule," and despite "playing no one" all season, manages to win the National Championship in dominant fashion.
Again, for those who notice and value things other than refs and clothing, we've witnessed this season the greatest rebuilding and turnaround performance by a coach in the history of the sport.

*LOUD APPLAUSE!*
Today, Kim accomplished what no one else ever has, or (probably) never will: won 4 National Titles with 2 different teams. Not Pat, not Geno, not Tara.
Michael wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't get this hatred for Kim. Other than her wardrobe.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/ncaa-sec/kim-mulkey-homophobic-history/amp/

That article is a crap hit piece. "Baylor was not going to fire their winning coach that had them contending for titles" [.....] The outfits are sent to her primarily from graduates of the design school at LSU the last two years. Gaudy is certainly a fitting word, as is tacky, but so are most of the crap seen on the runway at fashion shows.

Thank you, Michael for some Realness here. Patrick Pinak Pinhead appears to feel perfectly okay about judging people without actually interviewing them. I'd be shocked he interviewed anybody that he quoted in that article - none of the quotes were new, including THIS quote from Emily (Niemann) Nkosi:
"Coach Mulkey is a member of an athletic department, a school, a town, a state and even a region that is known for its conservative belief system, which very much includes homophobia. As leader and icon in each of these arenas, coach Mulkey has been unfairly singled out as particularly homophobic based on what happened with me and then Brittney Griner". Doesn't that totally undercut your whole point, Patrick? Rolling Eyes

It's a little pathetic that Haters are gonna let sour, bitchy opinions about a woman overshadow the Herstory that was made today. To all you Tiger fans, Congrats!! Cool

Those quotes about her came from two players. Regardless of the opinion of the writer.

She refused to acknowledge Brit during the Russia situation. You know, the player that got her most of her accomplishments.

And she stayed at that athletic department for years. She could have gotten a job anywhere in the country where she didn’t have to oppress gay kids - yet she chose to stay for as long as she did (and certainly didn’t leave because of it.)

Sorry - shitty person.

And of the two players one said she did not think it fair to label Mulkey a homophobe because of where she worked. There is ZERO evidence that Kim Mulkey has anything against gays that is not made up nonsense stemming from she worked at a school that would have kicked her players out if they came out openly. Its a lynch mob mentality that has decided to hang her metaphorically and doesn't care that they have no evidence for their charge.

Nope she did not comment on Griner's case ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. Their relationship was already strained at best and Mulkey took the high road and kept herself out of the issue. Not evidence of anything but good sense.

"She could have gone anywhere".... so if she had showed up at Storrs UConn would have replaced Geno with her? Don't be absurd. She could have left for some bottom feeder school and had to try and rebuild again, but I can't blame her for wanting to stay with the program she had built up to a national power knowing no coach had ever won a title at two separate schools before. There is also the forgotten character of loyalty. Baylor gave her a chance when even LaTech did not believe in her enough to make a quality offer to her. Your whole post is ridiculous and full of half truths and outright outlandish suppositions that its VERY clear your mind is made up and you won't be confused by those pesky things called FACTS. You can fault her for not trying to leave earlier, but I think any WBBall fan with two working brain cells knows how tough building a national program is and that there is an element of luck to it. That should at least make any even marginally objective fan acknowledge that while she could have left, there are a lot of reasons why she stayed and that none of us know for sure we would have walked away from 2 million dollars a year to start over at 400-500k at some school she would have had to build from scratch. Mulkey at LSU is going to be a power for the next few years until she retires. And I for one hope she is judged on what she has done, not on innuendo and mean mouthed gossip that has little basis in the truth. I don't like her sideline demeanor, but its effective. And I am just as glad she is not in the BT so we don't have to see much of her, but she is perhaps the greatest women's coach of all time.

Has Mulkey ever put her position Re: homophobia etc...on the record?

Seems like an easy way to clear up any misperceptions

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/03/23 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Alexis Morris was MVP!

Congratulations LSU!

Did you see Carson's face when they gave MVP? I felt bad for her,. She is why LSU won, in my opinion.

And Morris's face went pale too.

greg5222

PostPosted: 04/03/23 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHNICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

Delay of game is always on a dead ball.

Clark's tech was well deserved. She threw the ball out of bounds, away from any official, because she didn't like the call and she wanted to make the ref go fetch it like a dog. That's a tech in any game, anywhere, at any level.

You nailed it!! It's amazing how people are willing to give wrong-doing a pass if it's somebody they like as if rules don't apply to them. Ole girl had a hissy fit and the refs t'd her up.

Last edited by greg5222 on 04/03/23 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tally24

PostPosted: 04/03/23 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Alexis Morris was MVP!

Congratulations LSU!

And Morris's face went pale too.

I believe it’s Most Outstanding Player of the tournament, not just the FF of the final game.
greg5222

PostPosted: 04/03/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whiners blamed the refs.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Is that why she has such a, erm, unusual first name?

There's a cool little story behind her first name.
(I haven't watched the game yet, so I don't know if they mentioned it. If they didn't I'd be somewhat surprised given that Rebecca & Ryan usually take every opportunity to discuss things other than the action on the court)[/quote]

They didn't. I'd be curious to know. it's a weird one to be sure. i haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, and I watch a LOT of SEC too.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No comment....

zune69

PostPosted: 04/03/23 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really baffled at how some people are defending Reese's behavior by saying she did the same thing as Clark....Reese was literally following Clark around...She also called Clark/One of the Iowa players a hoe...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1642665645455335425

Clark on the other hand did the facial gesture to Hailey Van Lith, who was also talking trash...Clark did the facial gesture for 1 second after making a shot and kept walking to her bench.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1640182237005004801

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/03/23 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I'm really baffled at how some people are defending Reese's behavior by saying she did the same thing as Clark....Reese was literally following Clark around...She also called Clark/One of the Iowa players a hoe...

Clark on the other hand did the facial gesture to Hailey Van Lith, who was also talking trash...Clark did the facial gesture for 1 second after making a shot and kept walking to her bench.

Thank you. Just because the hand gestures were the same, doesn't mean the same situation occurred. Reese is totally over the top with the crown and the trash talk and even her interviews are just laced with arrogance. Is Clark a saint? No! Absolutely not. Is Reese totally and utterly ridiculous? Yes. Does she make herself look bad? Yes. Has she vilified herself? Yup. I find her impossible to root for and I think this behavior could bite her when she gets to the W. Can you imagine her walking into a veteran locker room and acting like that? LOL

zune69

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Thank you. Just because the hand gestures were the same, doesn't mean the same situation occurred. Reese is totally over the top with the crown and the trash talk and even her interviews are just laced with arrogance. Is Clark a saint? No! Absolutely not. Is Reese totally and utterly ridiculous? Yes. Does she make herself look bad? Yes. Has she vilified herself? Yup. I find her impossible to root for and I think this behavior could bite her when she gets to the W. Can you imagine her walking into a veteran locker room and acting like that? LOL

Yep, I thought Reese's behavior was corny/lame...If she pulled that stunt on the playground a fight would've started.....Notice how she waited until the game was over to start acting out.....I have no problem with players talking trash but the excessive stuff Reese does is a turn-off (Having people put a crown on her head)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: