RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Searches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/16/23 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Timely for this thread, The Athletic apparently has an article yesterday on their poll of coaches regarding "Who’s the best X’s and O’s coach in women’s college basketball?" that also includes a ranking of who will be the next "big time" coach.

I don't have an Athletic subscription, so can't tell you the results, but I have read that the clear choice for "next" is former Stanford player and assistant Lindy La Rocque who has taken a UNLV team that hadn't been to the NCAA Tournament in two decades to the big dance in her 2nd and 3rd years on the job.

Any of these P5 schools who are looking should have La Rocque high on their list, but this is another highly qualified and desirable candidate who doesn't come close to meeting Minnesota's published requirements.

I guess two straight Mountain West regular season and tournament championships in only three years on the job just isn't good enough for the Gophers.

The likelihood of La Rocque still being around and available after six years as UNLV head coach (as required by Minnesota) is probably less than zero.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/16/23 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/quote]I know you're saying Michigan St, but she seems like an example of a desirable qualified candidate who would not satisfy Minnesota's stated requirements. Doesn't have 6 years Div I HC experience, doesn't have 14 years as a Div I assistant (Ashland is Div II I believe so wouldn't count toward either). Also has no "preferred" P5 experience.

As a public university they probably need to put out a conventional public job description with "required" and "preferred" criteria, but writing one that rules out good candidates seems short sighted. If they waive a requirement I suspect they could get sued by a less desirable candidate who technically met the requirements but got turned down[/quote]

Zero chance (IMHO) that Minnesota waives the requirements (bachelor's degree and P5 experience). Maybe any one of the preferred qualifications would be waived. No chance of a legit lawsuit unless Minn would hire a coach without a bachelor's and P5 experience over one with.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/16/23 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
You have to admit, Pitt *does* fit Megan's preferred general color scheme Wink

Don't forget, her connection to green goes way back. Wink

idk, this looks pretty blue and gold to me Wink

Anyway, I think it would be neat if she stayed at Marquette and didn't go to the Big Ten.

PostPosted: 03/16/23 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Timely for this thread, The Athletic apparently has an article yesterday on their poll of coaches regarding "Who’s the best X’s and O’s coach in women’s college basketball?" that also includes a ranking of who will be the next "big time" coach.

I don't have an Athletic subscription, so can't tell you the results, but I have read that the clear choice for "next" is former Stanford player and assistant Lindy La Rocque who has taken a UNLV team that hadn't been to the NCAA Tournament in two decades to the big dance in her 2nd and 3rd years on the job.

Any of these P5 schools who are looking should have La Rocque high on their list, but this is another highly qualified and desirable candidate who doesn't come close to meeting Minnesota's published requirements.

I guess two straight Mountain West regular season and tournament championships in only three years on the job just isn't good enough for the Gophers.

The likelihood of La Rocque still being around and available after six years as UNLV head coach (as required by Minnesota) is probably less than zero.

I posted those results in the “Coaches on the Way Up” thread.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/16/23 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I posted those results in the “Coaches on the Way Up” thread.

Sorry, I didn’t see that you had added that. Thanks.

Someone with too much time on their hands should analyze how many of those coaches could even be considered for the Minnesota job per their hiring solicitation.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/17/23 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of former Michigan State assistants who *might* want to come back to East Lansing - Amaka Agugua-Hamilton and Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. Amaka was at Michigan State under Suzy Merchant, and Katie was under Joanne McCallie. Amaka is coaching in her home state. Katie is an Iowa native and Iowa grad. Both also spent time on Indiana’s bench.

Of course, these two are also in their first years at a new job, like Dawn Plitzuweit. Dawn is a Wisconsin native, played at Michigan Tech, coached a natty at Grand Valley State (MI) and spent time on Michigan’s bench. Her daughter now plays at Grand Valley for Dawn’s former assistant, Mike Williams.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/17/23 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounding like it’s Dawn Plitzuweit for the Gophers, per Twitter

EDIT: Guess it’s not totally for sure yet
Quote:
I can confirm that Minnesota has expressed interest in Dawn Plitzuweit, as first reported by @primetimeMitch. However, the reports of her already accepting the position as HC (from other outlets) are untrue.

https://twitter.com/chanteljennings/status/1636869158276149252?s=46&t=cd6d5rdO0dkEG59QI9cJ8Q

PostPosted: 03/18/23 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
You have to admit, Pitt *does* fit Megan's preferred general color scheme Wink

Don't forget, her connection to green goes way back. Wink

idk, this looks pretty blue and gold to me Wink

Anyway, I think it would be neat if she stayed at Marquette and didn't go to the Big Ten.

The last coach to leave Marquette for the Big Ten hasn't had much success.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/18/23 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn announced today for Minnesota

https://twitter.com/gopherwbb/status/1637111630944165888?s=46&t=cd6d5rdO0dkEG59QI9cJ8Q

PostPosted: 03/18/23 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m a Dawn fan back to her days on Michigan’s bench for Kevin Borseth. I think she’ll do well.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/18/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I’m a Dawn fan back to her days on Michigan’s bench for Kevin Borseth. I think she’ll do well.

Dawn has quite a good track record. NOT very good news for WVU, tho....but they'll adjust.

PostPosted: 03/19/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible that any of the topics Coaches, Coach movement 2023, Coaching searches, Coaches on the hot seat and Coaches on the way up could be merged?

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 03/20/23 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been updating Coaching Movement since like 2012 (or so) so I (under bias) say just post everything in there. hah

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/23 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Is it possible that any of the topics Coaches, Coach movement 2023, Coaching searches, Coaches on the hot seat and Coaches on the way up could be merged?

I don’t think Coaches on the Hot Seat and Coaches on the Way Up should be merged with the other two. They don’t even have anything to do with each other, let alone with the other two. Think!

PostPosted: 03/20/23 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

I don’t think Coaches on the Hot Seat and Coaches on the Way Up should be merged with the other two. They don’t even have anything to do with each other, let alone with the other two. Think!

Sure they do. Think!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/23 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Sure they do. Think!

I purposely made a separate topic for this because there had been a request in the past to keep the coaching changes streamlined for announcements only - not discussions.

I haven’t seen any rumors about Michigan State, but I did find their posting.

Minimum Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required.
A minimum of five years of intercollegiate head coaching experience with successful recruiting, coaching, and teaching of highly talented student-athletes in women’s basketball.

A demonstrated commitment to adhering to all the policies, rules, and regulations of MSU, the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.

Desired Qualifications
Master’s degree preferred.
Successful intercollegiate head coaching (or other high level) experience at the Division I level in women’s basketball.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/24/23 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
I know you're saying Michigan St, but she seems like an example of a desirable qualified candidate who would not satisfy Minnesota's stated requirements. Doesn't have 6 years Div I HC experience, doesn't have 14 years as a Div I assistant (Ashland is Div II I believe so wouldn't count toward either). Also has no "preferred" P5 experience.

As a public university they probably need to put out a conventional public job description with "required" and "preferred" criteria, but writing one that rules out good candidates seems short sighted. If they waive a requirement I suspect they could get sued by a less desirable candidate who technically met the requirements but got turned down[/quote]

Zero chance (IMHO) that Minnesota waives the requirements (bachelor's degree and P5 experience). Maybe any one of the preferred qualifications would be waived. No chance of a legit lawsuit unless Minn would hire a coach without a bachelor's and P5 experience over one with.[/quote]

The way to hire who you want is to pick them before the announcement and gear the announcement to fit who you want and if possible, only them.

Or you add an additional comment on the announcement saying:

"X no. of years doing Y may be substituted for the above qualifications".

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/24/23 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plitzuweit hasn't announced her assistants yet so it might be that Ariel Braker follows DP to Minn. but if not I wonder if Braker could be a potential candidate for KBA's (Michigan) staff to replace Batth.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/25/23 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merriweather is reportedly going to her alma mater.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2023/03/24/memphis-womens-basketball-coach-katrina-merriweather-hired-by-cincinnati/70047488007/

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/23 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Merriweather is reportedly going to her alma mater.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2023/03/24/memphis-womens-basketball-coach-katrina-merriweather-hired-by-cincinnati/70047488007/

Ew. So she's gonna get rewarded for her team starting two fights in the same season?

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Dean Lockwood would be a potential candidate to fill one of the two open AC spots on KBA's staff at Michigan if he's not retained at MSU. Interested to see where he lands.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/28/23 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The longer Michigan State takes to announce, the more I think their choice is Fralick. Her Bowling Green team is in the semi-finals tomorrow vs. Columbia.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/28/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
The longer Michigan State takes to announce, the more I think their choice is Fralick. Her Bowling Green team is in the semi-finals tomorrow vs. Columbia.

Agreed. I had been holding out hope that Fralick could land at Xavier (Xavier's AD came from Bowling Green, but left BG before Fralick was hired so there is no direct connection). Obviously, Michigan State is the better job and if they're interested in her, it would be a no-brainer, provided she does want to move up.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/29/23 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I wonder if Fralick is the choice, and her associate HC at BGSU succeeds her there, would Fralick consider Raina Harmon (Iowa asst.) as an associate. Or, for that matter, whether KBA would consider Harmon as an associate. I don't know if Harmon would want to leave Iowa but if she has head coaching aspirations I'd say her chances are better on KBA's staff. And Harmon is from the Detroit area.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I wonder if Fralick is the choice, and her associate HC at BGSU succeeds her there, would Fralick consider Raina Harmon (Iowa asst.) as an associate.

Is there a connection between Fralick and Harmon other than them both being from the Michigan area and having coached in the MAC?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: