RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/07/06 1:42 pm    ::: Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor Reply Reply with quote

According to The Summitt, Wiley-Gatewood told a local fan she was choosing between UNC and Maryland. Take it with a grain of salt, as both teams have established point guards.

If she wants to be a star it would be best to go somewhere where that can happen.

terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/07/06 1:43 pm    ::: Re: Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
According to The Summitt, Wiley-Gatewood told a local fan she was choosing between UNC and Maryland. Take it with a grain of salt, as both teams have established point guards.

If she wants to be a star it would be best to go somewhere where that can happen.

terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com

Please post the quote where she said she wants to be a star?

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/07/06 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone ever figure out whether she will have 1.5 or 2.5 years left to play?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/07/06 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it think it was decided it would be 1.5. of course, me trying to combine math and the ncaa regs is always a mess....

Oklahoma needs guards. Is Ivory a ... Jr? so she'd be gone by the time SWG got there (if she got there..)

PostPosted: 01/07/06 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
it think it was decided it would be 1.5. of course, me trying to combine math and the ncaa regs is always a mess....

Oklahoma needs guards. Is Ivory a ... Jr? so she'd be gone by the time SWG got there (if she got there..)

SWG would play a half season with Ivory...or Shay.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/07/06 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out whether she will have 1.5 or 2.5 years left to play?

Transferring doesn't change the amount of eligibility she has remaining. She had 2.5 more years if she'd stayed at Tennessee, she'll have 2.5 years wherever she ends up.

PostPosted: 01/07/06 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sa'de will only have at most 2 years left. One second played in a season counts as a full season played, unless one is redshirted for medical hardship purposes.

So, the games that Sa'de played in this year count as a full season played in, leaving her with 1.5 years of eligibility if she plays spring 2007 through spring 2008, or with 2 years of eligibility if she plays fall 2007 through spring 2009.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/07/06 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Sa'de will only have at most 2 years left. One second played in a season counts as a full season played, unless one is redshirted for medical hardship purposes.

So, the games that Sa'de played in this year count as a full season played in, leaving her with 1.5 years of eligibility if she plays spring 2007 through spring 2008, or with 2 years of eligibility if she plays fall 2007 through spring 2009.

Correct.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/08/06 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think she'll play in the ACC unless she opts to go to Carolina in Fall 2007 (i.e. when Ivory Latta moves on to the WNBA).

Mathies to LA 2013
mmcornelius

PostPosted: 01/08/06 9:27 pm    ::: She only has 1.5 years left on the court Reply Reply with quote

NCAA transfer rules say she has 2.5 years to complete her eligibility from time of transfer AND she must sit out a full academic year before playing. So it's 1.5 years of actual court time for a January 2006 transfer. Her entire sophomore year of eligibility has been exhausted in the nine games she played for Tennessee last fall. When she resumes play in January 2007, she will be a junior in eligibility and will complete that year in a half season with a full season as a senior.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/08/06 9:36 pm    ::: Re: She only has 1.5 years left on the court Reply Reply with quote

mmcornelius wrote:
NCAA transfer rules say she has 2.5 years to complete her eligibility from time of transfer AND she must sit out a full academic year before playing. So it's 1.5 years of actual court time for a January 2006 transfer. Her entire sophomore year of eligibility has been exhausted in the nine games she played for Tennessee last fall. When she resumes play in January 2007, she will be a junior in eligibility and will complete that year in a half season with a full season as a senior.

So, her maximum on court time is 1 1/2 years?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/08/06 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a high price to pay.... thanks Maria for the info....

PostPosted: 01/08/06 10:15 pm    ::: Rebkell, that's what I found ... Reply Reply with quote

... Wading through the NCAA regs on mid-season transfers. The sticky point was that she has to complete her eligibility 2.5 years from time of transfer with a mandatory sit period of a full academic year. That leaves only 1.5 years of actual playing in games. (She can practice of course for the next year.) Mid-season transfers are not kind at all, perhaps to discourage them from happening and keep athletes from jumping during the season.

That is why my first question was why now? That is not conducive at all to her collegiate playing career and on-court development. Better IMO to have finished the season at Tennessee and then explore the options. But the decision was made to go.

Had she finished the season at Tennessee and opted to transfer this summer, she would have sat a year and then had 2 full years of eligibility.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/08/06 10:19 pm    ::: Re: Rebkell, that's what I found ... Reply Reply with quote

mmcornelius wrote:
... Wading through the NCAA regs on mid-season transfers. The sticky point was that she has to complete her eligibility 2.5 years from time of transfer with a mandatory sit period of a full academic year. That leaves only 1.5 years of actual playing in games. (She can practice of course for the next year.) Mid-season transfers are not kind at all, perhaps to discourage them from happening and keep athletes from jumping during the season.

That is why my first question was why now? That is not conducive at all to her collegiate playing career and on-court development. Better IMO to have finished the season at Tennessee and then explore the options. But the decision was made to go.

Had she finished the season at Tennessee and opted to transfer this summer, she would have sat a year and then had 2 full years of eligibility.

This is one reason why I believe her that she really was miserable at Tennessee, even though so many want to say it is just that she is selfish and a quitter.

mmcornelius

PostPosted: 01/08/06 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Selfish is a word I would never use to describe Sa'de.

I saw her villified on some boards, called a ball hog and a gunner. She was a very reluctant shooter who was told by Pat Summitt to shoot more and to look for her shot more. So she did, and the early results were mixed. She really didn't have enough time yet to get acclimated to Tennessee's system of full-court transition and half-court sets.

The vast majority of what I know about this case is off the record, and I will always respect that. So there is a lot I don't respond to that I see on message boards.

I can only say I hope this young lady finds her way in life and finds some peace and happiness on and off the court. She is a delightful person, who is very much missed by her Tennessee team. Alexis Hornbuckle has SWG15 written on her shoe "in memory of" her former teammate, as she put it. That doesn't sound like something Alexis would do if SWG were a "quitter" and "selfish."

(She wasn't miserable at Tennessee - quite the opposite by the way - but some matters that transpired placed her in an untenable position so she opted to leave. It may have seemed like the answer at the time, but as someone said on another board unhappiness tends to follow you. What has to be addressed is why you are unhappy and then go from there.)

gopher5

PostPosted: 01/16/06 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry if this was already posted:

http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4364747

The Knoxville News Sentinel has confirmed former Tennessee Lady Vols' point-guard Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood will transfer to the University of Maryland. Wiley-Gatewood will have a season and a half worth of eligibility left with the Terrapins.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/gvx_ladyvol_basketball/article/0,1406,KNS_19597_4387528,00.html

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/16/06 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During this FSU/UMD broadcast, they mentioned that Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood is attending Maryland this spring, so this is no longer a rumor.

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this mean SWG will play with Doron? Or not?

gopher5

PostPosted: 01/16/06 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:

She has a season and a half left, so she will play half a season with Doron.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/16/06 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:

yes, for the second half of next season.

We've got Sa'de, and they don't!

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/16/06 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow how did Frese get Sade over a team like UNC? Maryland is stacked!

PostPosted: 01/16/06 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should make for some exciting battles in the ACC.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/17/06 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally, Maryland is confirming the rumor, albeit via an unnamed source.

Quote:
A source within the Maryland women's basketball program confirmed last night that former Tennessee point guard Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood has agreed to transfer to College Park to play for the No. 6 Terps.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-sp.digesttop17jan17,1,5784791.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss SWG, she and CP3 were my favorite Vol's. Crying or Very sad

I am a Maryland fan too, so I guess I should be happy. Confused

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 01/19/06 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/17/06 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frese officially has a mess on her hands. Who starts and who comes off the bench? Five guards have to battle for minutes at two positions next season (unless one of them is able to slide to the three).

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: