RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Key Rules Changes for 2023 Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/23 11:23 am    ::: Key Rules Changes for 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/news/rules-changes-for-2023-season/

Coach’s Challenge
The Coach’s Challenge rule will allow a team one challenge per game (including overtime), regardless of whether the challenge is successful.

Transition Take Foul
Beginning in 2023 a heightened penalty will be imposed when a defensive player commits a “transition take foul.”

Resumption of Play Procedures
The resumption of play rules have been modified such that, if applicable in connection with a Coach’s Challenge, or any call treated as an inadvertent whistle (e.g. a shot clock violation overturned via replay review initiated by the on-court officials during the last two minutes of the game), possession will be awarded to the team that clearly and conclusively would have gained possession at the time of the whistle. If this standard is not met, play will be resumed via a jump ball.

Bench Conduct
New rules are in place for the 2023 WNBA Season to reduce disruptions and distractions during live play. Specifically, players not in the game may not remain standing at or away from their team’s bench during the game for a prolonged period and, along with coaches, are prohibited from attempting to distract their opponents in an unsportsmanlike manner.

Violations are subject to penalties (e.g., technical foul, delay of game).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
scullyfu

PostPosted: 05/06/23 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My opinion, there should at least be one challenge per half & one in OT. If the challenge is successful, you don’t lose it. Isn’t that how most other sports handle that?

PostPosted: 05/06/23 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One challenge per game is what we have down here in the NBL, and if successful you don't lose it. I think it's sufficient.
I really don't like the WNBA's approach of losing it no matter what.

PostPosted: 05/06/23 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's almost word-for-word the same as the NBA's challenge rule. They've just copied it.

PostPosted: 05/06/23 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
One challenge per game is what we have down here in the NBL, and if successful you don't lose it. I think it's sufficient.
I really don't like the WNBA's approach of losing it no matter what.

I've never understood--in any sport--not getting a second challenge if your first is successful. You get shafted with an important bad call. You challenge. You're proven right. But then if you get shafted with a second important bad call you can't challenge??? Because SO much time is taken up with one extra challenge??? Compared to lots of commercials, lots of time outs, and 400 free throws near the end of a close game???

PostPosted: 05/14/23 6:06 am    ::: Re: Key Rules Changes for 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Bench Conduct
New rules are in place for the 2023 WNBA Season to reduce disruptions and distractions during live play. Specifically, players not in the game may not remain standing at or away from their team’s bench during the game for a prolonged period and, along with coaches, are prohibited from attempting to distract their opponents in an unsportsmanlike manner.

Violations are subject to penalties (e.g., technical foul, delay of game).

Someone on YouTube points out that "prolonged period" is vague and we won't know that the refs consider prolonged unless they start calling it. Not familiar with players sometimes standing away from the bench that this is trying to address. They could just say that players have to remain on the bench (in a seat or standing in front of one) during the game. If they need to test a tweaked ankle or what have you, they can go in the hallway to the locker room to do it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-w8f0MO8820?feature=share

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/14/23 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They made a bunch of videos to help explain the new rules and some of the existing ones. https://www.wnba.com/video/wnba-2023-points-of-education-part-1-of-2/ , for example.

PostPosted: 05/14/23 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's almost word-for-word the same as the NBA's challenge rule. They've just copied it.

Yeah, it's basically just the NBA does it so we will too. All of the "reckless closeout" reviews drove me crazy yesterday....soon you won't be able to play defense in this league either. Can't wait to see players jumping 5 feet forward on their jump shot and the defender getting a flagrant for it.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/14/23 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They made a bunch of videos to help explain the new rules and some of the existing ones. https://www.wnba.com/video/wnba-2023-points-of-education-part-1-of-2/ , for example.

The "freedom of movement", or lack thereof, is something that has been going on for years. Was surprised when I first saw game pictures that show defenders putting their inside arm into the abdomen or hip of the offensive player to impede their drive or a rebounder grabbing the arm of an opponent. I somehow don't notice that in the live video. But I do notice push offs in the game. They also ought to call the technique of dribbling into a defender to knock them back or off balance. A player driving can also veer into the defender running with them and draw a foul. But with all the "fighting for low post position" that goes on and is unlikely to be justified by the rulebook, I can see why other stuff isn't called

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: