Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I fucking hate cheaters.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/08/23 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Call me stuck in the past but I miss the days when titles were won by good ol' fashioned tanking rather than dodgy payments for fake jobs.
There's a purity about tanking that just can't be replicated by other means.

TANK!😆

PostPosted: 02/08/23 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The scary thing is that right now, you couldn't assemble a starting 5 better than the Liberty or Aces comprised of any other players in the world for any amount of money.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 02/09/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
I fucking hate cheaters.

+1

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/12/23 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:
I fucking hate cheaters.

+1

Recently there has been an excellent podcast discussing recent W doings:https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-en7re-138abc3 These guys are quite knowledgeable, but they gave short shrift to the LV signing of Kiah Stokes. Her offensive failings do make it easy to overlook Kia's value, but she is a solid defender who was quite important (25 min/g) in the Ace's title run last year. Parker is an aging all time great, who has missed plenty of games in her twilight years, and now is expected to deal with a NY team featuring the best front court duo in history of league (both at their prime), while playing an extended 40 game season. Wilson is a top level defender, tho history shows her having trouble with Stew, so Kia is more important than ever to the LV title hopes. With the departure of Rupert and Plaisance, the only other roster big is Cayla George, who is the opposite of Stokes: good shooting, weak, soft defender. The shocking thing is that Stokes signed for $81k, taking a 40% pay cut. This is another indication that something very foul going on in Sin City; in fact, the more I look at the Aces roster, it is apparent that there is plenty going on under the table.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/23 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Parker is an aging all time great, who has missed plenty of games in her twilight years

Parker misses fewer games than Stokes does. Over the last five seasons Parker has played in 130 games, Stokes has only played in 107.

PostPosted: 02/12/23 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes also basically took what they had left. I don't think she's the primary exhibit in trying to prove illegal payments.

PostPosted: 02/12/23 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stokes also basically took what they had left. I don't think she's the primary exhibit in trying to prove illegal payments.

You don't think there are teams out there that would pay Stokes more than $81k? I know she doesn't score, but she can defend. and, as I noted, was vital to last year's title run. Consider that when she played in NY under the old CBA, the Liberty signed her to the max of $115k.
Now look at Clark who signed for 2 years @ $110k. You don't think Seattle, with plenty of $ to spend, would offer her much, much more; after all, they are paying Sami (same age; less value) $140k?
Stokes is just one example in a roster where a fair estimate is that the players are taking at least a quarter million under their worth.

Last edited by canadaball on 02/12/23 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
canadaball

PostPosted: 02/12/23 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Parker is an aging all time great, who has missed plenty of games in her twilight years

Parker misses fewer games than Stokes does. Over the last five seasons Parker has played in 130 games, Stokes has only played in 107.

Misleading....Stokes missed lots of games b/c foreign commitments plus. going forward, you have a 29 year old body with lots less mileage than 37 yr old Parker.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/23 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Misleading....Stokes missed lots of games b/c foreign commitments.

That doesn't make her any more valuable. Missing is missing regardless of the reason. Parker is a more reliable option in addition to being many times better.

PostPosted: 02/12/23 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Misleading....Stokes missed lots of games b/c foreign commitments.

That doesn't make her any more valuable. Missing is missing regardless of the reason. Parker is a more reliable option in addition to being many times better.

Of course Parker is way better, (and much more important) but my point was that the Aces need Stokes, in a compact 40 game season, to spell an aging superstar, particularly on the defensive end (remember they have to deal with Stew/JJ). Kia is worth much more than $81k in that role.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/12/23 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eh. Yeah, I think Stokes probably could've got more if she was willing to play anywhere. Probably not that much more, because she's an offensive nothing and stat production tends to be what gets you paid. Taking a bit less to play with friends, where she knows she's valued, where there's a very good chance to win, and where the bonus/CommCup money is likely to be good isn't implausible to me.

You bend the rules to sign stars and keep them happy. If you're bending them meaningfully to get Kiah Stokes instead of the 30 other players who could probably give you 90% of Kiah Stokes, you need to reexamine your policies.

PostPosted: 02/12/23 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Eh. Yeah, I think Stokes probably could've got more if she was willing to play anywhere. Probably not that much more, because she's an offensive nothing and stat production tends to be what gets you paid. Taking a bit less to play with friends, where she knows she's valued, where there's a very good chance to win, and where the bonus/CommCup money is likely to be good isn't implausible to me.

You bend the rules to sign stars and keep them happy. If you're bending them meaningfully to get Kiah Stokes instead of the 30 other players who could probably give you 90% of Kiah Stokes, you need to reexamine your policies.

Stokes is playing for near rock bottom, so there was no need to bend rules to add her. Fair assessment of her talents (she is who she is), but let's remember that , after her rookie contracts were up, Kia commanded near max salary from the Liberty, presumably b/c others were interested. Do you really think there are 30 other players in the W who could give u 25 min/g on championship team playing defense vs the best bigs in the world, while (most importantly) playing for peanuts????
I did some more thinking on this. I cannot find ONE big in the W (non rookie contract level), playing for anything as little as 81k, who can come close to matching what Stokes brought to LV last year; again emphasizing that she is strictly a role player. I could make a case that b/c of her low pay, she is vital to LV title hopes. Here is another way to look at this: Cayla George is the only other big on roster; do u really think she is capable of banging with the likes of Stew/JJones? Yes, she doesn't score, but Stokes has shown the ability to defend (especially nice on a roster full of scorers). i also can't see 37 yr old Parker (great as she is) keeping up with those younger bodies for very heavy minutes. The Aces are going to need 15-20 minutes from Kia when they play NY; and maybe even some of the other powerful front lines like Dallas, CT, Phx, and Wash.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/19/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did it ever occur to any of you that players might take less to play for a championship team with the visability of the Aces. They could make that up in indorsements, which I believe playing in the championship series certainly gives them. Its not like every player is totally limited to the salary they make from their WNBA team. Last I heard getting endorsments was not against the rules.

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
If found guilty, the Aces should relinquish the 2022 WNBA Championship, be fined 2Mil, management should be suspended for 3 years, lose their next 3 first round draft picks and the Aces players involve should have their contract voided.

Sounds good but the league will probably just announce that their investigation was inconclusive (and it could be if everyone goes into "deny, deny, deny" mode) and tell Davis privately to knock it off. I think they'd like to avoid the headline "2022 WNBA Championship team illegally got around the salary cap" and also have to punish a gung ho owner who wants to spend money.

Last edited by tfan on 02/20/23 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Did it ever occur to any of you that players might take less to play for a championship team with the visibility of the Aces. They could make that up in endorsements, which I believe playing in the championship series certainly gives them. Its not like every player is totally limited to the salary they make from their WNBA team. Last I heard getting endorsements was not against the rules.

It all depends on the alleged statements of agents asking teams to do what the Aces are doing. If true the players didn't actually sign for less.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
The scary thing is that right now, you couldn't assemble a starting 5 better than the Liberty or Aces comprised of any other players in the world for any amount of money.

And coincidentally both owners have shown eagerness to spend money. Tsai on charter flights and Davis on Hammon. Found this article where Davis got offered the team after repeatedly telling the MGM owner to pay the players more. Which is hard to do with a minimum and maximum salary cap.

https://onherturf.nbcsports.com/2022/04/27/mark-davis-puts-money-where-his-mouth-is-as-owner-of-las-vegas-aces/

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/20/23 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Did it ever occur to any of you that players might take less to play for a championship team with the visability of the Aces. They could make that up in indorsements, which I believe playing in the championship series certainly gives them. Its not like every player is totally limited to the salary they make from their WNBA team. Last I heard getting endorsments was not against the rules.

Agreed! What truly is curious is why there wasn't an "investigation' when Sue and Tina took crazy pay cuts last year? (They are paid much less than anyone this year, by the way....) Further, everyone spent much of January salivating over the potential of JJ, Stewie, Sabrina and Sloot playing together (very few seemed to be "worried" about the building of a Super team), yet vilifying Vegas for continuing to build out their own (most of their pieces came together over time, not in one season, but I digress...). Now that the salary information has come out, the NY players are angels and Vegas players are shady... and folks are pretty quiet about the DT and BG contracts...The subjective discourse around what is right is a mess! A whole lot of hand wringing, pearl clutching and pretzel twisting based on who or what folks do or don't like...

Both team owners have/will be penalized for skirting the rules, i.e., NY "illegally" chartering flights and we'll see what happens with Vegas...but generally, both team owners have done what they did to benefit their investment and to help the players... Now, the Hamby situation is different and probably linked to the uproar about "under the table" deals (whether intentional or not) and I hope that situation is resolved soon... With that said, I'm not completely convinced that the "Avengers East and West" was not by design to maximize drama and interest in the league....at minimum, it pushes the envelope forward.

Many believe there needs to be villains and drama to maximize interest, but there is a racialized element (no one is saying it but looking at the team compositions and how things are being discussed) that is there and may be coincidental, but it exists...As Hamby said, it's not on the players but in the W-sphere, while the team ownership is under fire, the players are also being vilified or deified... Care has to be taken on how this is framed without falling on trite and harmful narratives, particularly in times like this...

It is interesting to see some similar thoughts on increasing interest and excitement regarding the W and on the NBA trade deadline drama...

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-new-era-why-building-wnba-super-teams-through-free-agency-is-becoming-more-common-180704283.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-and-kevin-durants-trade-requests-were-about-seeking-control-but-also-came-at-a-cost-for-the-nba-080543359.html?guccounter=1

We'll see how it turns out!

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/20/23 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only reason Las Vegas has been singled out is that this is the first time anyone has spilled the beans. Indeed, any big deferral of pay could be regarded with suspicion.

Remember the days when people here speculated that there was one salary cap for LA, and one for everyone else?

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/20/23 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces roster is littered with players taking well under their market value. All these players are missing tens of thousands each year. Last year, Riq (UFA) took only $90k; Hamby has been playing for $30k-60k under her market value (and LA won't make that up) for some time. Does not take a genius to figure Dearica spilled the beans, and it will be difficult for W to cover up when there is always the threat that she will go public with a tale of no show jobs.
Yes, one can find isolated cases (Bird) of players taking huge pay cuts, but they did this so their team roster, unlike the cheating Aces, was filled with other players earning their fair market value. Similarly, Stew and Sloot have taken less, which enabled NY to keep (and pay well) players like Dolson and Laney. NOBODY on the Aces roster has been paid close to their value. It stinks.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/20/23 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

read the first few paragraphs of the article in the original post

The accusation isn't about taking less pay, it is about players taking less pay because higher ups in the Aces origination have arranged with the players agent for 3rd parties to compensate the player for little or no work. Basically paying them illegally under the table and undermining the cap. Its not free hotel rooms and buffet vouchers its management actively eliciting outside companies to pay their players so they can avoid the cap.

If true (not saying it is that is why there is an investigation) Aces management, the players agent and the player all know what is going on and are culpable.

It is not the same as Sue Bird or Tina Charles taking less money to pursue a championship because they have enough other income from say commercials, broadcasting or their own production company.

If NY promised Stewart and the team chartered flights and that was why Stewie and others joined the team that is illegal and will be investigated I am sure considering NY was fined the largest fine in WNBA history when their charter flights came to light recently. Clearly after that using the promise of charter flight to lure in a player would be clearly illegal.

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/20/23 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point is that we don't know if there have been side deals in the past and around the league. We may never.

Sure, innocent until proven guilty, but this is a big can of worms the league may not want opened.

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
The point is that we don't know if there have been side deals in the past and around the league. We may never.

Sure, innocent until proven guilty, but this is a big can of worms the league may not want opened.

Disagree, unlike many sports, the WNBA has actually been quite open about individual player salaries. Anyone with basic math skills can see how team rosters deal with the salary cap. Yes. I can remember when the star laden Lynx roster featured several players accepting salaries under their deserved max, but those few thousands were peanuts compared to the Aces. Remember also that the Lynx played an honest game, which forced them to trade off Howard. The pattern is clear; Gray, Plum, and Jackie Young are each giving up $25-35k/year. Parker and Clark are giving up more than double that amount, but, as I discussed earlier, a big tell is Kia Stokes playing for a pittance of $81K (and Riq $90k last year). There have been isolated cases like Bird (see above), but I do not remember such gross impropriety anywhere ever. This is clear corruption, and IMO, threatens league integrity. Amazing how other teams are forced to count pennies to barely squeeze under the cap (most recently Ct). Ironically, the Aces are helped this year by presence of another super team, so they have no cakewalk.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought there is a former in-house Aces Whistleblower who knows the inner workings of the team. I believe the Whistleblower, the Aces have been dealing dirty.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/20/23 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
unlike many sports, the WNBA has actually been quite open about individual player salaries...

Speaking as someone who actually chases this information - have they fuck. The WNBA would much prefer if no one told anyone anything. Despite how much interest is driven by the sort of information that guys like Woj, Shams and Shefter put out in their sports, the WNBA keeps trying to prevent anything getting out. It's ridiculous.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: