RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#21 Villanova @ #5 Connecticut - 1/29/23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/23 1:25 am    ::: #21 Villanova @ #5 Connecticut - 1/29/23 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 2:00 PM ET
TV: CBS Sports Network (Jason Horowitz, Julianne Viani)

Video stream:
https://www.cbssports.com/watch/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/oas-1502/content/uconn:allaccess-Live-5975

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 02/27/23 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

25-17 UConn after one period. Both offenses are making plays so it's entertaining, like it should be when two ranked teams play. The refs are calling it fairly close. Interesting that Edwards is defending Siegrest (with help).
UConn leads because they are dominating the boards.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Through 15 minutes, Nova is playing much better ball control and sophisticated team offense than UConn, which is mainly playing one-on-one after a screen or attempted post pass. Though UConn has better players and will likely win.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

33-30 UConn at the half.

UConn with 4 assists and 10 turnovers. Juhasz has below average hands and gets in trouble almost every time when bringing the ball below her shoulders to shoot or dribble in traffic.

High scorer Griffin did a good job on Siegrist (3-12) but got three fouls in the process. Nova doing a good job on Senechal.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 01/29/23 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

33-30 UConn at the half. Very entertaining game. Both teams making plays.

Vill doing a good job limiting Senechal (2-7) while UConn doing the same to Siegrist (2-12).

UConn's energy level will be tested in the 2nd half after that slugfest in Knoxville on Thursday.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is in foul trouble and vulnerable with the short bench. Watch out for Maddy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn with 0 points in the first 5+ minutes of the 3Q. Dillon out-coaching Auriemma. The half court offense is almost entirely being run between the logo and arc, then some heaves. It's just very problematic that UConn can't run effective post plays for Edwards and Juhasz.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

45-43 Nova at 3Q. UConn scored 8 and 10 in 2Q and 3Q. Senechal having her worst offensive game of the season, largely due to Nova defense and her klutziness in traffic dribbling.

Siegrist heating up and shooting right over the outstretched arms of interior and elbow defenders.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 01/29/23 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking Maddy is finally fed up with losing to UConn all her basketball life.... Shocked Her 25pts leads all scorers. (anyone think she'll get drafted?)

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

55-52 UConn as the momentum has shifted back. Siegrist is really really good offensively but it took her 22 shots to get 25 while Griffin has 19 on 11 shots.

3.5 min to go and it's been a great battle.

In RPI, Vill is a top 10 team.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketball_rpi.html

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What an incompetent inbound play w UConn up 5 and 31 seconds left and two to's to plan a play. UConn loses ball on the inbound and Nova hits a three.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I'm thinking Maddy is finally fed up with losing to UConn all her basketball life.... Shocked Her 25pts leads all scorers. (anyone think she'll get drafted?)

Chicago.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Glenn already referenced, 18 points in the 2nd and 3rd combined, particularly after a 25 point 1st, simply won't get it done. Good resilience to come back and win, but we (both the team and Geno) have to be better.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gritty game by both teams. I actually feel a little sorry that Nova didn't get the upset after playing so tough, especially on defense. Dillon is a heckuva offensive and defensive coach.

UConn, the country leader in APG, held to a measly 7 and Muhl 3. Senechal held to 6 (her first single digit game?) and kept taking poor shots or making to's. Griffin played and saved the game, along with some help from Edwards and a Juhasz 3 late.

This game showed how to defend UConn: Get quickly back on defense so UConn can't get transition buckets, play Senechal like a glove, clog the lane, and don't worry about anyone else hitting lucky 3's. Easier to say than do.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 01/29/23 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Griffin and Juhasz deserve major props for carrying the scoring load today. I'll be curious to see how the rematch goes on at Villanova on February 18th.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

63-58 UConn

A phenominal BE battle. In front of a big crowd. (14,000+) Last year UConn had Fudd in the home loss to Vill.
The two teams combined for 28-32 fts.

Not a bad game for a pansy conference. Very Happy

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

"all her basketball life" who wants to tell him?

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Yeah, Griffin and Juhasz deserve major props for carrying the scoring load today. I'll be curious to see how the rematch goes on at Villanova on February 18th.

I think it'll be very interesting, because if she stays this far below her previous scoring pace, she'd be going for the all-time record for scoring in Big East WBB conference play in that game.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Her 25pts leads all scorers. (anyone think she'll get drafted?)

I think it’s a cinch she’ll get drafted. But as far as making a final roster, my guess is she’ll have to go to a team that blows it up, similar to Indiana last year.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Howee wrote:
Her 25pts leads all scorers. (anyone think she'll get drafted?)

I think it’s a cinch she’ll get drafted. But as far as making a final roster, my guess is she’ll have to go to a team that blows it up, similar to Indiana last year.

The interesting thing to me is that I see her game/strengths/weaknesses as quite similar to Ashley Joens, who is discussed as a mid-first round pick. I think both have to play the 3 in the W, and while Siegrist spends more time in the post and Joens more time on the perimeter, they seem to otherwise be quite similar to me.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I think both have to play the 3 in the W, and while Siegrist spends more time in the post and Joens more time on the perimeter, they seem to otherwise be quite similar to me.

I haven’t seen a ton of Siegrist, but I’d say Joens has a WNBA build. Does Siegrist have a similar build?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/30/23 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

actually after watching yesterday, i would take siegrist over joens in a heartbeat.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/30/23 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Hell yes , she deserves to be drafted ahead of Ashley Joens imo. Maddy gives me young stewie vibes a poor mans version but still effective .

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

"all her basketball life" who wants to tell him?

HAHA! This is what happens when one does not follow the BEast. Razz

PostPosted: 01/30/23 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone else see Geno chewing out Nika Muhl at the end of the first half? I went back and watched the last minute or so, but I couldn't see what he was so upset about.

The lack of outside shooting enabled Villanova to pack their defense in the paint and foil most of the Husky attempts to drive the ball to the basket. Without Azzi, this could be chronic problem against the better teams. That said, a win against a ranked team is always good!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: