RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oscars 2023

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/23 9:02 pm    ::: Oscars 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Let's look at the Best Picture nominees!

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

A classic tale remade as German apologia. Director Edward Berger cuts the early scenes from the book with the teachers goading their students into joining the military students with ridiculous patriotic drivel in favor of scenes of German officials negotiating for peace with obstinate Frenchmen. It's a transparent attempt to show there were "good" Germans.

Visually impressive nonsense. This movie looks incredible. It's worth seeing on the big screen in a way many films aren't. The plot is muddled, with cartoonish villains that have wafer thin motivation (if that) for their actions. I like big empty spectacle films, but I wouldn't name one as best picture.

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN

A farce that reminded me of classic Laurel & Hardy, with a little body horror. Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell have great chemistry and there are a lot of laughs in this film. There's also real heartbreak and pain in the dissolution of their friendship. A strange and wonderful movie.

ELVIS

Baz Luhrmann can't keep up the first act energy and Tom Hanks is woefully miscast as Colonel Tom Parker, undermining a star making turn from Austin Butler. The idea of telling this story from Parker's POV doesn't work and causes the film to bog down in the second half.

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

The highest of high concept films, flawlessly executed. This would get my vote for Best Picture. It will probably go over the heads of the academy's elderly membership.

THE FABELMANS

This must have been grown in a lab of Oscar bait. It's a movie about a boomer kid who makes movies. At one point uncle Boris tells Sammy people who know they have talent have an obligation not to waste it. Making a film like this is a waste of Spielberg's enormous talents. It's not bad, but many directors could (and have) made a film like it.

TÁR

A star vehicle for Cate Blanchett. The title character is selfish, abusive, exploitative, and somewhat reactionary but is sympathetic nonetheless. Blanchett makes Lydia a fully rounded character with enormous talent and drive but also flaws and blind spots that make it difficult for the viewer to cast her in a simple good/evil dynamic.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK

I didn't care for the original Top Gun. Gung-ho pro-military jingoist claptrap is not for me. This sequel is cut from the same cloth. As such I didn't like it much either. If you liked the original, you'll probably love this.

TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

What in the world do people see in this? The first act isn't bad, although the characters are so detached from reality it's hard to identify with them. Once they board the yacht it all goes downhill, with a whole batch of bad sitcom characters used as the butt of obvious, unfunny jokes.

WOMEN TALKING

Movies, they say, should show and not tell. This film never heard that saying, as it is almost all talk. It's an improvement on the book in that the one man present, who is "taking the minutes" since none of the women can read or write, is marginalized in favor of the titular women talking. The ending has the same issues as the book's however, the conclusion leans too far towards the intellectual over the emotional.

Last edited by pilight on 03/11/23 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/25/23 10:44 am    ::: Re: Oscars Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Let's look at the Best Picture nominees!

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

A classic tale remade as German apologia. Director Edward Berger cuts the early scenes from the book with the teachers goading their students into joining the military students with ridiculous patriotic drivel in favor of scenes of German officials negotiating for peace with obstinate Frenchmen. It's a transparent attempt to show there were "good" Germans.

Visually impressive nonsense. This movie looks incredible. It's worth seeing on the big screen in a way many films aren't. The plot is muddled, with cartoonish villains that have wafer thin motivation (if that) for their actions. I like big empty spectacle films, but I wouldn't name one as best picture.

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN

A farce that reminded me of classic Laurel & Hardy, with a little body horror. Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell have great chemistry and there are a lot of laughs in this film. There's also real heartbreak and pain in the dissolution of their friendship. A strange and wonderful movie.

ELVIS

Baz Luhrmann can't keep up the first act energy and Tom Hanks is woefully miscast as Colonel Tom Parker, undermining a star making turn from Austin Butler. The idea of telling this story from Parker's POV doesn't work and causes the film to bog down in the second half.

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

The highest of high concept films, flawlessly executed. This would get my vote for Best Picture. It will probably go over the heads of the academy's elderly membership.

THE FABELMANS

This must have been grown in a lab of Oscar bait. It's a movie about a boomer kid who makes movies. At one point uncle Boris tells Sammy people who know they have talent have an obligation not to waste it. Making a film like this is a waste of Spielberg's enormous talents. It's not bad, but many directors could (and have) made a film like it.

TÁR

A star vehicle for Cate Blanchett. The title character is selfish, abusive, exploitative, and somewhat reactionary but is sympathetic nonetheless. Clanchett makes Lydia a fully rounded character with enormous talent and drive but also flaws and blind spots that make it difficult for the viewer to cast her in a simple good/evil dynamic.

TOP GUN: MAVERICK

I didn't care for the original Top Gun. Gung-ho pro-military jingoist claptrap is not for me. This sequel is cut from the same cloth. As such I didn't like it much either. If you liked the original, you'll probably love this.

TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

What in the world do people see in this? The first act isn't bad, although the characters are so detached from reality it's hard to identify with them. Once they board the yacht it all goes downhill, with a whole batch of bad sitcom characters used as the butt of obvious, unfunny jokes.

WOMEN TALKING

Movies, they say, should show and not tell. This film never heard that saying, as it is almost all talk. It's an improvement on the book in that the one man present, who is "taking the minutes" since none of the women can read or write, is marginalized in favor of the titular women talking. The ending has the same issues as the book's however, the conclusion leans too far towards the intellectual over the emotional.

I have only seen EEAAO, and absolutely loved it. Hoping it wins, not only here, but in at least a couple of acting categories as well (Quan, Yeoh, even Hsu would be great winners).

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 01/25/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The new Avatar film just reeks of being Vietnam--much like the first one was Manifest Destiny and Pocahontas. The new one was decent, and could win for other categories, but Best Picture it is not.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've only seen 3.
AQOTWF & EEAAO both get my tick of approval. I'm rooting for the latter - it was a lot of fun.
TG:M was pretty bad, which I knew going in. I chose to christen my new TV with it, and the visuals & audio delivered. No idea what it's doing in the list of finalists though.

Still planning to catch Elvis & Inisherin some time soon.

PostPosted: 01/25/23 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering some of the better films that weren't nominated (Aftersun, Nope, The Woman King, RRR Laughing ) it's odd that Top Gun: Maverick made the list.

The best part of Avatar: The Way Of Water was the world building section in the second act. When the idiot plot kicked back in it took the wind out its sails.

PostPosted: 03/13/23 5:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The winners:

Best Picture
Everything Everywhere All at Once – Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, and Jonathan Wang, producers

Best Director
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Actor
Brendan Fraser – The Whale

Best Actress
Michelle Yeoh – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actor
Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actress
Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Original Screenplay
Everything Everywhere All at Once – Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert

Best Adapted Screenplay
Women Talking – Sarah Polley; based on the novel by Miriam Toews

Best Animated Feature Film
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio – Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar, and Alex Bulkley

Best International Feature Film
All Quiet on the Western Front (Germany) – directed by Edward Berger

Best Documentary Feature
Navalny – Daniel Roher, Odessa Rae, Diane Becker, Melanie Miller, and Shane Boris

Best Documentary Short Subject
The Elephant Whisperers – Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga

Best Live Action Short Film
An Irish Goodbye – Tom Berkeley and Ross White

Best Animated Short Film
The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse – Charlie Mackesy and Matthew Freud

Best Original Score
All Quiet on the Western Front – Volker Bertelmann

Best Original Song
"Naatu Naatu" from RRR – Music by M. M. Keeravani; Lyrics by Chandrabose

Best Sound
Top Gun: Maverick – Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon, and Mark Taylor

Best Production Design
All Quiet on the Western Front – Production Design: Christian M. Goldbeck; Set Decoration: Ernestine Hipper

Best Cinematography
All Quiet on the Western Front – James Friend

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
The Whale – Adrien Morot, Judy Chin, and Anne Marie Bradley

Best Costume Design
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Ruth E. Carter

Best Film Editing
Everything Everywhere All at Once – Paul Rogers

Best Visual Effects
Avatar: The Way of Water – Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon, and Daniel Barrett

PostPosted: 03/13/23 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Oscars were on?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/23 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big night for fans of Encino Man

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've liked Michelle Yeoh for decades, since her Hong Kong, Bond and martial arts films, and am glad she got the Oscar. But the film was somewhere between nonsensical and unintelligible to me—in short, boring. In fact, I can't even recall the details other than something about a tax audit and parallel worlds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: