31%  [ 13 ]
Other Team
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/20/23 10:09 pm    ::: Breanna Stewart Reply Reply with quote

Per Ramona Shelburne ESPN:

Breanna Stewart will meet with the Seattle Storm, Minnesota Lynx, Washington Mystics and New York Liberty when free agency opens at midnight ET, sources told ESPN. The meetings will take place in Istanbul, where Stewart is currently playing.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1616536159735218177

adamj95

PostPosted: 01/20/23 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Lynx baby. Stewart should team up what Napheesa and Reeve in Minny and start a new dynasty.

PostPosted: 01/20/23 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever she chooses, I hope she uses her words to make the announcement. This emoji nonsense is in fact nonsense.

PostPosted: 01/20/23 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Whatever she chooses, I hope she uses her words to make the announcement. This emoji nonsense is in fact nonsense.

😆😂🤣😭🤪

PostPosted: 01/20/23 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very interested in what will sway her decision. I imagine she'd get the max from any of them (but she can get more in a sign and trade, right?) but is she wanting the easiest oath to a championship? Is she looking to play with certain players? Is it about coaching? Organizational culture?

Such intrigue. Someone get some leaks on these meetings!

I think the likelihood of options is:
1. Seattle
2. New York
3. Washington
4. Minnesota

Unless she has a reason to be unhappy with Seattle as a team or organization, I could see her staying put. Is losing Bird so monumental that she doesn't feel they can be competitive without her? Possibly, Bird was an asset on the floor and as a coaching voice but a few decent trades could get Seattle right back in their championship window.

I think the "close to home" narrative is overblown but there are a lot of incentives to go to NY. She is a piece that would put them into immediate contention assuming the team has chemistry.

Washington could be a good fit for her but it all hinges on how healthy and available EDD is. If EDD is not able to stay in the court than it's ultimately a lateral move as Washington with the addition of Stewart but with little availability from Delle Donne kind of puts her back into a similar spot as Seattle, a few pieces away from contention.

I only see Minnesota as an option if she is looking for a long haul contract and is 100% bought in on what the organization is doing and Cheryl Reeve. I could see that but they would probably be a year or two away from being championship contenders.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/20/23 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm very interested in what will sway her decision. I imagine she'd get the max from any of them (but she can get more in a sign and trade, right?) but is she wanting the easiest oath to a championship? Is she looking to play with certain players? Is it about coaching? Organizational culture?

1. Seattle
2. New York
3. Washington
4. Minnesota

Unless she has a reason to be unhappy with Seattle as a team or organization, I could see her staying put. Is losing Bird so monumental that she doesn't feel they can be competitive without her? Possibly, Bird was an asset on the floor and as a coaching voice but a few decent trades could get Seattle right back in their championship window.

I think the "close to home" narrative is overblown but there are a lot of incentives to go to NY. She is a piece that would put them into immediate contention assuming the team has chemistry.

Washington could be a good fit for her but it all hinges on how healthy and available EDD is. If EDD is not able to stay in the court than it's ultimately a lateral move as Washington with the addition of Stewart but with little availability from Delle Donne kind of puts her back into a similar spot as Seattle, a few pieces away from contention.

I only see Minnesota as an option if she is looking for a long haul contract and is 100% bought in on what the organization is doing and Cheryl Reeve. I could see that but they would probably be a year or two away from being championship contenders.

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Can confirm that the Mystics will meet with Breanna Stewart in person in Istanbul as the free agency negotiating period begins tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1616599873331073025

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/21/23 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

1. Seattle
2. New York
3. Washington
4. Minnesota

Minnesota has the facilities, the culture, the olympic coach, and familiar face with Phee (and Jefferson, if she stays in Minn.).
...but i would think Minn and Wash are the 2 furthest possibilities.

adamj95

PostPosted: 01/21/23 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Joserra40albben/status/1616856831426703363?s=20

Napheesa is in Turkey. Cool I'd love nothing more than to see her reunite with a former college teammate while she's there. Smile

PostPosted: 01/21/23 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart and Sloot teaming up in Minny is interesting but wouldn't they have to get off of at least one of McBride or Powers' contracts to get to 11?

adamj95

PostPosted: 01/21/23 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stewart and Sloot teaming up in Minny is interesting but wouldn't they have to get off of at least one of McBride or Powers' contracts to get to 11?

I believe so but don't quote me. Can we please find a sucker for Achonwa's contract Sad

PostPosted: 01/22/23 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier's non-guaranteed, they can just cut her. Wink

PostPosted: 01/22/23 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Collier's non-guaranteed, they can just cut her. Wink

That would be about as dumb as Achonwa's contract so who knows

PostPosted: 01/22/23 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/35468343/wnba-free-agency-2023-breanna-stewart-seattle-storm-new-york-liberty

Interesting analysis for each of the four prospective teams.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/22/23 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne
·
"Former WNBA MVP Breanna Stewart has made charter air travel a key factor in her free agency, league sources told ESPN."
"The issue of private air travel has come to the forefront of free agent conversations around the WNBA, multiple sources told ESPN, because of the assumption that Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner will need to fly privately due to security concerns."

Ramona also writes that Stewie offered up some of her NIL money to help with flights.

Issue 1- Would all of the Mercury be able to fly, or just BG?

Issue 2- The players in the league would have to vote on an amendment to allow this, but I doubt it would go through if the other 11 teams cannot fly private.

PostPosted: 01/22/23 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne
·
"Former WNBA MVP Breanna Stewart has made charter air travel a key factor in her free agency, league sources told ESPN."
"The issue of private air travel has come to the forefront of free agent conversations around the WNBA, multiple sources told ESPN, because of the assumption that Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner will need to fly privately due to security concerns."

Ramona also writes that Stewie offered up some of her NIL money to help with flights.

Issue 2- The players in the league would have to vote on an amendment to allow this, but I doubt it would go through if the other 11 teams cannot fly private.

Umm. Noble cause but how can the teams themselves guarantee her anything other than being willing to take on the fines?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/23/23 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne
·

Elena Delle Donne
@De11eDonne
Replying to
@breannastewart
I’m in! Whatever it takes.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/23/23 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using chartered flights for WNBA teams is just a pipe dream. This current CBA is written in stone and I doubt if the owners are going to pay that cost for that benefit.

PostPosted: 01/23/23 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are security concerns about Griner? Do they think Russia will hijack a flight she's on?

PostPosted: 01/23/23 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are security concerns about Griner? Do they think Russia will hijack a flight she's on?

Imo it’s more like some screwy passenger attacks her, either in the terminal or on the flight itself. Who knows?

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I support a pathway to charter flights and laud Stewart for taking the cause up. I have no idea what assurances a team can offer her as part of a 2023 contract other than agreeing to support it should it ever come to a vote or agree to violate league rules and absorb the fines as a result.

Now, the Griner situation does present an issue. It makes sense that they would want to address those security concerns but it does create a fairness issue. Even if only Griner gets a charter and the rest of the Mercury fly commercial (which seems wasteful), that does give Griner an advantage over her competitors. It would be even more unfair if they let the whole team fly charter with her.

All these does is reinforce the need for a solution. I don't know how viable league wide charters are but clearly the current system does not work.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart making charter travel a priority is probably bad news for the Storm, as they are the least likely team to be able to afford that kind of thing

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:

Imo it’s more like some screwy passenger attacks her, either in the terminal or on the flight itself. Who knows?

I wonder if the issue is that there may be commercial travel restrictions placed on Griner as a result of the whole ordeal. As in, maybe it's not that they are protecting her so much as protecting the rest of us. Maybe she is on some equivalent of a no-fly list because the geopolitical risk she presents (warranted or not, I'm just speculating). This could be a situation where the league and Griner are fine with her flying commercial but the FAA or whomever is not allowing it, this she HAS to fly charter. Does it even work like that? I have no clue. Just spitballing.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stewart making charter travel a priority is probably bad news for the Storm, as they are the least likely team to be able to afford that kind of thing

But again, what can any team truly offer her that would produce a result in 2023? I don't think any team could afford or would want to spend the money not only to charter 20 flights but the league imposed penalties that come with it. Yes NY did it but that was for one flight, correct? And they got a half million fine as a result.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read as she wants to go to a team that will lobby for it in league meetings. That's not Seattle.

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

But basically no one can do it right now. The rules say you can't, and after the big fine for Joe Tsai (big by WNBA standards) they'd absolutely jump all over anyone else who did that without the league's permission. All any of the teams bidding for her can really do is say "yes, we'll support your position". Book a charter flight the league hasn't authorised at this point and you're going to end up losing draft picks and suffering other heavy punishments.

This whole thing's a mess. Stewart reportedly making something teams can't do a big part of her free agency is wild. I'm with pilight on not really understanding why Griner would be a security risk to fly commercial. And even Stewart saying she "would contribute my NIL, posts + production hrs" to set up charter travel is messy. Okay, players want to pay for it? Go for it. Teams and ownership basically don't give a damn how players spend their money. They don't even really care about how players split it up between themselves. If they wanted to take a salary cut to cover charter travel, ownership would've happily discussed that in CBA negotiations. But charter flights for 12 teams for 40+ games each are really expensive. Good luck covering it with what Stewart gets for an Instagram post. Unless some air travel company wants to cut them a wildly sweetheart deal for the publicity, good luck getting ownership to cough up the millions it would all cost. Yes, some of them are billionaires. Several aren't. And it would change the entire budget balances of teams/the league unless it's all being financed centrally. Mess.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: