RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Whither Hamby?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/21/23 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
No confirmation that this is Hamby, but reasoning to believe it is...

Quote:
PER @TheWNBPA
RELEASE: “A member of our Union has raised serious concerns regarding the conduct of members of Las Vegas Aces’ management. We will review this matter and we will seek a comprehensive investigation to ensure that her rights…”
@TheNextHoops

“… under the collectively bargained provisions of the 2020 CBA, as well as her rights and protections under state and federal law, have not been violated.”

https://twitter.com/_gabriellalewis/status/1616922001624502276

They probably shouldn't have traded her to a team with the players association president. Oops.

DTP

PostPosted: 01/21/23 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's two sides to every story and I'm not going to be one that completely takes one side here, we simply don't know the facts. BUT if I was in the Aces front office, this wouldn't be a battle I'd want to get myself into....its just not worth it.

Chemistry is HUGE for a team as close as they are, especially when it comes to keeping your star player happy. If Hamby wasn't ready by opening day, there's protections in place starting this season to be able to sign replacements until she's ready to go. Yeah they cleared cap space with this deal but they had other options there as well- moving on from Williams could have accomplished clearing cap space as well, without all of the drama.

A'ja had a tweet last week that I assume was directed at management too...it wouldn't surprise me at all if other players were really unhappy right now. I'm not sure if the management this is all being aimed at is the GM or Team President or maybe its both.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/21/23 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gracious, what is going on here?! I get that this is a business but given how close the team seemed to be and how well Vegas seemed to take care of their people, I can only imagine how all this feels. I definitely wish her well!

Another big question for me is whether they will keep locker room players like Syd, etc. It has gotten so much harder for mid-level to good players to stay on teams. You know, the new CBA, growth of the league and the outspokenness of players, really has taken the league to the next level in both good and challenging ways.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 01/21/23 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[url] https://www.instagram.com/p/CnsXXblSRPN/?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ= [/url]

Well I think from this message posted by Dearica, it sounds like she’s the one who raised the complaint. She lays things OUT!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/21/23 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Such is the danger of signing a sub-market-value extension

Agreed. This incident should be a eye opening teaching moment for every free agent this year. Never accept the low ball offer.👎🏿

PostPosted: 01/21/23 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is gonna get UGLY! I mean folks get fired/fined sort of ugly. Could you tell if she meant Nikki or Natalie?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/21/23 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There's virtually no chance of Parker returning to LA

I can't see her playing for Curt Miller.

Also, she has branding tied to Chicago. I just can't see her tossing that aside to go back to LA for a year (or two).

The teams ready to contend, do not need her.

Last edited by ChicagoAnnie on 01/21/23 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/21/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh, this thing with the Aces looks like a shitshow. Slut-shaming players is not a good look.

PostPosted: 01/22/23 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Hamby's first tweet, it was easy to see this controversy develop. Hamby has eloquently stated her viewpoint with reference to loyalty (she, like her other all star teammates, did take $40k less to re-sign with LV), and team attitude about her pregnancy. The Aces management is mum thus far, but it is obvious their dumping Hamby has helped the team's chances to win this year. I am not sure if laws protecting a pregnant woman's rights apply b/c Hamby will receive full salary and join a team happy to have her. One thing Dearica may accomplish with her public stance is make LV unattractive to her replacement (think Parker) who may not want the involvement in this drama.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/22/23 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're only hearing one side of the story. Things may not be as dire as Hamby makes them out to be.

PostPosted: 01/22/23 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
We're only hearing one side of the story. Things may not be as dire as Hamby makes them out to be.

the longer the Aces wait to release a statement, the worse they look

i think they release something by tomorrow, but there’s certainly a chance they opt not to release one at all

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/22/23 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

i think they release something by tomorrow, but there’s certainly a chance they opt not to release one at all

Hamby's delivery date is not yet public, but once known will reveal much. If she has her baby, in say March, would mean Dearica played much of last season pregnant. This might explain her 2nd half struggles, and would feed image of a heartless Aces management.

DTP

PostPosted: 01/22/23 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

A released statement from an organization regarding a player related issue like this is never going to say anything of substance in it. The Aces have nothing to really gain from addressing it.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/22/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

A released statement from an organization regarding a player related issue like this is never going to say anything of substance in it. The Aces have nothing to really gain from addressing it.

I understand why Hamby feels disrespected but did the Aces do anything that violates the CBA? These players need to understand the CBA they are voting for instead of complaining after the facts. I'm looking at Stewart and her prioritization stances too.

Hamby chose to sign at a discount. Hamby will be paid this season. Players get traded, waived and released all the time. Does it sting? Absolutely. Did the Aces probably give her unofficial assurances? Maybe so. I'm failing to see what they did wrong other than be disloyal to a player. Each side only owes each other as much loyalty as the contract they sign requires.

Honestly, I love Hamby as a player and I think she will do well in LA. I'm looking forward to seeing her take the court. Be bitter and take it out on your former team on the court. Light them up. You got this.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/22/23 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
From Hamby's first tweet, it was easy to see this controversy develop. Hamby has eloquently stated her viewpoint with reference to loyalty (she, like her other all star teammates, did take $40k less to re-sign with LV), and team attitude about her pregnancy. The Aces management is mum thus far, but it is obvious their dumping Hamby has helped the team's chances to win this year. I am not sure if laws protecting a pregnant woman's rights apply b/c Hamby will receive full salary and join a team happy to have her. One thing Dearica may accomplish with her public stance is make LV unattractive to her replacement (think Parker) who may not want the involvement in this drama.

Who are the Sham's or Woj's of the WNBA media? We need somebody to get in there...

PostPosted: 01/22/23 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Who are the Sham's or Woj's of the WNBA media? We need somebody to get in there...

I think Voepel would be all over this already. He was all over the Gray trade so I know he’s got scoops.

Let’s say Aces didn’t technically violate the CBA. But if what Hamby claims they said has a glimmer of truth, she would have quite a sex discrimination lawsuit I would think. I know if I as a manager were to question or denigrate my employee’s pregnancy, all sorts of hell would (and should) rain down on me.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/22/23 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

One part (in fact the root cause) of this controversy is that the CBA requires pregnant player salaries to count under the cap.. Pregnant women are guaranteed their salary, and there is no reason the player's union would want those $ applied to the cap. It is only the owners who benefit b/c the rule lets them pay less by not having to replace those salaries.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/22/23 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Something else to consider. Nikki Fargas is currently president of the Aces. Guess what? She was assistant coach at Tennessee while Parker was there. They won't say anything, but if the Aces know that Parker is available, would be good reason (in their mind) to dump a pregnant Hamby.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/22/23 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

the odds of them saying anything specific that would go against Hamby seem slim, considering what she was saying

still, you never really know if there’s two sides to a story if only one side says their piece

an entire lack of statement from the Aces would seem like an unspoken admission of guilt, at least in the court of public opinion (certainly not in legal terms) if they care about that – which, they may not

DTP

PostPosted: 01/22/23 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
DTP wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

I understand why Hamby feels disrespected but did the Aces do anything that violates the CBA? These players need to understand the CBA they are voting for instead of complaining after the facts. I'm looking at Stewart and her prioritization stances too.

Hamby chose to sign at a discount. Hamby will be paid this season. Players get traded, waived and released all the time. Does it sting? Absolutely. Did the Aces probably give her unofficial assurances? Maybe so. I'm failing to see what they did wrong other than be disloyal to a player. Each side only owes each other as much loyalty as the contract they sign requires.

Honestly, I love Hamby as a player and I think she will do well in LA. I'm looking forward to seeing her take the court. Be bitter and take it out on your former team on the court. Light them up. You got this.

The social media whining has gotten a bit much imo, from players and fans. The players agreed to the CBA, spending every season online complaining about it is not a good partnership.

I will give Stewie credit though for at least bringing to the table some solutions in her recent tweets about travel.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 01/22/23 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok I think I am looking at her statement differently than some of you. To me, her statement may have had some to do with the CBA but a lot of it was someone from the front office seemingly accusing her of getting pregnant on purpose along with other disparaging remarks about her pregnancy. If it had been just about what the CBA says about pregnancy, I don’t think you would have had the players association get involved like it did. To me Hamby’s statement reads like she was pregnancy shamed, not pregnancy traded. But that’s just me.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
DTP wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

If the Aces came up to her and said we are going to trade you because we need to have 11 players available at the beginning of the season, are we having an issue, is she feeling the way she does, I don’t think so. From her post it sounds like she is be told things about her character that are making her feel the way she does. Being called a liar and being told you are deceptive and you don’t care about the team are not violations of the CBA but they are unnecessary to say even if the person really believe it to be true.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/23/23 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you know shit’s bad when the LA Sparks come out looking like a world-class organization here

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Ok I think I am looking at her statement differently than some of you. To me, her statement may have had some to do with the CBA but a lot of it was someone from the front office seemingly accusing her of getting pregnant on purpose along with other disparaging remarks about her pregnancy. If it had been just about what the CBA says about pregnancy, I don’t think you would have had the players association get involved like it did. To me Hamby’s statement reads like she was pregnancy shamed, not pregnancy traded. But that’s just me.

I think I didn't catch this part of the story when I made my prior post. That's on me. Obviously workplace harassment is not the same thing as what I was talking about. If this is the case, the fairness of the trade is irrelevant. That would be awful if they said those things.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 01/23/23 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

I think I didn't catch this part of the story when I made my prior post. That's on me. Obviously workplace harassment is not the same thing as what I was talking about. If this is the case, the fairness of the trade is irrelevant. That would be awful if they said those things.

Oh no worries, that's why I wanted to be sure. I hope I came across as respectful as well.

For those that don't have or don't want to go to Instagram, the posts were referenced in the ESPN article

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/35496694/dearica-hamby-claims-aces-unethical-trade-sparks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: