RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Whither Hamby?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:03 pm    ::: Whither Hamby? Reply Reply with quote

From today's Dearica Hamby twitter: "Imagine expressing your fears as a woman and being pregnant in this profession/world…. Then to be reassured that you were supported.. and your back was “had”…. only to then be used against you. Lmao" It would seem the Aces have told Hamby that they are trying to unload her. I can understand why LV would make this move. Dearica is currently pregnant; I do not know when she will deliver (probably sometime this spring). Even if unable to start season, her $169K contract counts under cap, and, given the cap squeeze for LV, their chances to defend the title would take a big hit. If they unload the Hamby liability, things look much better. I would think there are teams out there with no cap squeeze that would take the All Star if price was right. As Dearica's tweet implies, there is, however, lots of sourness about this move. Hamby signed a below market multiyear contract to stay with LV. She played the playoffs while pregnant. She, and her lovely young daughter, have been fan favorites, so, in many ways, this stinks. Perhaps the way pregnancy is treated vis a vis the salary cap should be revisited b/c the team with the pregnant player (see the Lynx with Collier last year) has championship intentions injured badly by both losing the player and having her salary stop team improvement.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/23 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand Hamby's frustration, but I don't think Twitter is the place to express it.

Not every grievance has to immediately go to social media. I know it's a forum for athletes to control their own narrative, but still.

Get on a conference call with your agent, union official and with team management if you feel wronged.

Either way, LV still has a business to run, and whether she was pregnant or not, she still could have been up for a potential move. And, that might not be easy for LV because they would have to find a trade partner who's willing to accept that she will not be available to under after all star break.

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, I saw this on twitter. Hamby's certainly a fan and player favorite, hopefully all of this will be resolved amicably. I understand essentially these teams are "businesses" but this aspect kinda sucks. Sad

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She should be happy , this gives her a chance to go back home and play . BUT
why could this not be in reference to the father of her child instead of Las Vegas ?

PostPosted: 01/16/23 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
why could this not be in reference to the father of her child instead of Las Vegas ?

That was my read too. If I recall, the guy is also a professional athlete, so I can see her thinking he would understand... and it wouldn’t be the first time a dude walked out on her after giving her a kid. (You will notice how in Vegas game notes Amaya abruptly no longer has a dad listed after one season...) If we’re wrong and it *is* about the Aces, I’ll eat my words, but she’s being *so* damn vague that she could be referring to anyone.

PostPosted: 01/17/23 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

That was my read too. If I recall, the guy is also a professional athlete, so I can see her thinking he would understand... and it wouldn’t be the first time a dude walked out on her after giving her a kid. (You will notice how in Vegas game notes Amaya abruptly no longer has a dad listed after one season...) If we’re wrong and it *is* about the Aces, I’ll eat my words, but she’s being *so* damn vague that she could be referring to anyone.

I guess this explanation is possible, but the final line: "and your back was “had”…. only to then be used against you." indicates, to me, that the Aces, while supportive when pregnancy announced, have now told Hamby her pregnancy is forcing them to move on. When one looks at the Aces roster, it makes sense. Their five starters (all playing for less than their market value btw) still leave little room for anyone beyond minimum wage. If Hamby's $169k salary is "dead" money, then the Aces have both a squeeze (hard to keep Riq and/or Stokes) plus the need to replace Dearica's production(remember also that foreign commitments may leave Rupert in France) ; in short, they would have hard time repeating. Now, let's say they unload the Hamby salary; the possibilities are way better; for example, they could slot in someone like Candace Parker (if Sloot goes to Sea, she won't play in Chi) for that Hamby money.I would also add that it is far more likely Dearica would go public with a beef with the Aces, rather than a personal issue.

DTP

PostPosted: 01/17/23 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know she was huge in Game 4 but you would think LV would move off of Williams before Hamby. Williams couldn't stay healthy and wasn't the most productive last season and her contract isn't protected.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/17/23 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recently on Twitter: Dearica Marie Hamby liked
naema
@naemaj11
·
Jan 15
Hmm. Aces pulling this shit? If they really are, that’s quite disgusting.

I think we can use this "like" by Hamby as proving her unhappiness involves the Aces.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/17/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Recently on Twitter: Dearica Marie Hamby liked
naema
@naemaj11
·
Jan 15
Hmm. Aces pulling this shit? If they really are, that’s quite disgusting.

I think we can use this "like" by Hamby as proving her unhappiness involves the Aces.

Exclamation Arrow

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/17/23 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I understand Hamby's frustration, but I don't think Twitter is the place to express it.

Not every grievance has to immediately go to social media. I know it's a forum for athletes to control their own narrative, but still.

Get on a conference call with your agent, union official and with team management if you feel wronged.

Either way, LV still has a business to run, and whether she was pregnant or not, she still could have been up for a potential move. And, that might not be easy for LV because they would have to find a trade partner who's willing to accept that she will not be available to under after all star break.

I do not think the Aces will have trouble moving Hamby. There are rebuilding teams out there that have cap room to take a pregnant player b/c this year is not for them. The 2024 draft, with so many great players, is a great year to get in the lottery. I also do not think the Aces would want much (if anything) for Dearica. As I highlighted above, just getting her off roster would be great for their 2023 title hopes, and how long can they get away with so many stars playing for 10-20% under market value?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/18/23 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes that will mess with team and club chemistry. From what ive seen from behind the scenes videos from the players Hamby is very close with everyone on that team. I wonder if Wilson, Gray etc. will be happy with this

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/23 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering Hamby just got traded to LA, it would appear that she really was subtweeting her now former organization here… 🤔

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such is the danger of signing a sub-market-value extension

PostPosted: 01/21/23 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Considering Hamby just got traded to LA, it would appear that she really was subtweeting her now former organization here… 🤔

Unloading the pregnant Hamby (they even had to throw in their 1st rounder) really opens up possibilities for LV. by freeing up the $169k Dearica was owed. They can now retain both Riq and Stokes if they want; or sign Zowee B; or bring in another top player who will take a championship discount....????Parker

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/21/23 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Unloading the pregnant Hamby (they even had to throw in their 1st rounder) really opens up possibilities for LV. by freeing up the $169k Dearica was owed. They can now retain both Riq and Stokes if they want; or sign Zowee B; or bring in another top player who will take a championship discount....????Parker

From the Sparks viewpoint: I think Parker goes to LA for her final season, knowing Hamby will be ready to play when she's done. Parker is just not the right fit for other Aces personnel. LA will still need a BIG.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/23 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's virtually no chance of Parker returning to LA

PostPosted: 01/21/23 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Agree completely; no way Parker returns for another season to play for non contender. LV is most logical landing spot.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:

Agree completely; no way Parker returns for another season to play for non contender. LV is most logical landing spot.

considering she’d have to sign for below a max figure which she has never done before as a vet, the logic here is interesting

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker to Atlanta is now my out of the box thought

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most recent article in the free agency thread claims Parker has talked to 4 teams but only is truly considering 2. Them being Chicago and LA which surprises me , I have a feeling the other two teams are Las Vegas and Atlanta. I believe she fits best in LV she can roam around while Aja goes to work in the paint as usual. Definite Upgrade on the offensive end from Stokes or AZB.

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:

considering she’d have to sign for below a max figure which she has never done before as a vet, the logic here is interesting

Given her substantial presence on TNT, I doubt that WNBA salaey $ have much meaning at this stage of her career. Let's be clear, the only reason for her return would be to have an opportunity at another title. LA, Chicago (assuming no Sloot), and Atlanta have ZERO chance.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/21/23 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:

Given her substantial presence on TNT, I doubt that WNBA salaey $ have much meaning at this stage of her career. Let's be clear, the only reason for her return would be to have an opportunity at another title. LA, Chicago (assuming no Sloot), and Atlanta have ZERO chance.

I feel like Parker is far more likely to outright retire than to go ring chasing. My guess is that she would want a farewell tour and being on a contender like Vegas would take the focus off her and her potential retirement (if that's even on her mind this year). I feel like she'd be more likely to have a respectable Fowles like farewell tour with the Sky than return to a rebuilding Sparks team or ring chase with the Aces.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/21/23 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides LV no other be is that solid still a lot of free agency and draft before we really know who the contenders are but I think NY, Dallas and Atl are all on the rise and until some teams reload perennial strong teams like Chi , Conn and Seattle might have so drop off and LA has a new coach that has been to the semis or the finals a few times should have the Ogwumikes back and a little money to spend in free agency so they should be improved as well

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/21/23 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's getting wild out here...

https://twitter.com/sir_richmond20/status/1616919571474092033/photo/2

PostPosted: 01/21/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No confirmation that this is Hamby, but reasoning to believe it is...

Quote:
PER @TheWNBPA
RELEASE: “A member of our Union has raised serious concerns regarding the conduct of members of Las Vegas Aces’ management. We will review this matter and we will seek a comprehensive investigation to ensure that her rights…”
@TheNextHoops

“… under the collectively bargained provisions of the 2020 CBA, as well as her rights and protections under state and federal law, have not been violated.”

https://twitter.com/_gabriellalewis/status/1616922001624502276

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: