RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breanna Stewart's 2023 team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team does Breanna Stewart sign with in free agency?
Seattle
49%
 49%  [ 27 ]
New York
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
Another team (which one?)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
None; she sits out the 2023 season
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 55

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
down to the two teams we all thought it’d be down to

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1619771903295750144

Quote:
Breanna Stewart has officially narrowed down her potential free agency destination to Seattle or New York, a league source informs @Winsidr

to the surprise of no one except maybe Sheila Johnson

(now with spelling variations)
canadaball

PostPosted: 01/29/23 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
it’s down to Stewie’s home state vs. Slooty’s home state

Pros for both signing with Seattle:
—Slooty can get max, Stewie can get supermax
—more say in the next phases of roster construction
—more combined familiarity with the area

Pros for both signing with New York:
—more of a filled-out roster, esp. re: pure talent
—bigger (well, biggest) market, potentially bigger branding opportunities
—closer to many different cities (like Chicago) & countries (like Spain)

Interesting list, but u omit coaching. As I noted earlier, it is difficult to see Quinn (let's face it, she is a high school coach and former bottom bench player) matching wits with the W top tier. NY, in Brondello, has a veteran leader who has been to the Finals. Based upon last year's playoffs vs LV (and Hammon), I just don't see how Stew could be optimistic of ever winning a title in Seattle while Quinn is at helm.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/29/23 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Interesting list, but u omit coaching. As I noted earlier, it is difficult to see Quinn (let's face it, she is a high school coach and former bottom bench player) matching wits with the W top tier. NY, in Brondello, has a veteran leader who has been to the Finals. Based upon last year's playoffs vs LV (and Hammon), I just don't see how Stew could be optimistic of ever winning a title in Seattle while Quinn is at helm.

Excellent point that I missed above.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I feel bad for Quinn. They set her up for failure by promoting her before she was ready. I don't think she's a bad coach but she had the luxury of one of the all time best player-coaches and 3 #1 picks and 2 likely HOFers on her roster. Even still, Seattle kind of underperformed during the playoffs in both of Quinn's seasons despite impressive regular season records. I am sure Quinn could develop into a good coach but she needed a few more years as an assistant to cook and learn under an experienced coach. I'll be shocked if she survives long if Stewart defects.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I feel bad for Quinn. They set her up for failure by promoting her before she was ready. I don't think she's a bad coach but she had the luxury of one of the all time best player-coaches and 3 #1 picks and 2 likely HOFers on her roster. Even still, Seattle kind of underperformed during the playoffs in both of Quinn's seasons despite impressive regular season records. I am sure Quinn could develop into a good coach but she needed a few more years as an assistant to cook and learn under an experienced coach. I'll be shocked if she survives long if Stewart defects.

I gotta give Quinn a pass for the 2021 playoffs where Stew was sidelined; in fact, the Storm played well in their OT loss to eventual finalists Phx; however, I wonder if Quinn's complete butchery of that game 3 LV loss (a textbook case of a coach choking and sabotaging the team) might remain in Stew's mind and swing her towards NY. I agree about your speculation about how long Quinn survives in Sea, but this could be another reason for Stew to head towards a far more stable coaching setup (and, on paper, a fantastic roster) in the Big Apple.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen Quinn make young HC blunders, occasionally at inopportune moments such as Game 3 of the Semis last year, but I have not seen enough overall from her that warrants any feeling about her in either direction. Maybe she was made HC prematurely, but it's been almost two full seasons of her, and I don't currently think she's in over her head yet, which at least isn't a bad sign. I'm ultimately not calling anyone wrong yet about their predictions for her. It just feels early still; we'll see what happens if/when her top talent is taken away.

That said, she certainly deserves more than having her "bottom bench player" label be tactlessly used against her for one bad playoff game, in a series that her team wasn't favored to win anyway.

Anyone saying the Storm underperformed in the postseason last year maybe didn't properly see Vegas securing the 1 seed to begin with and then Chelsea Gray doing what she did in the playoffs against everyone. Really not sure ultimately who was beating them, and specifically who was beating her. Certainly not experienced HC Curt Miller, whose team finished ahead of the Storm in the standings. While one can argue he had less talent to work with on the Storm than Quinn did – a valid argument – I don't recall anyone saying his team overall underperformed in the playoffs, nor maybe more importantly do I honestly recall anyone saying the Storm had a more talented roster than the Aces themselves. (If they did, feel free to fling it back in my face if that's how you like to do things, cuz I truly missed it.) The Aces I think finished the postseason with every player healthy/able to play – I wonder what would've happened had the Storm been able to say the same.

About the x-factor of coaching in making the big free agency decisions, we all know and don't doubt Stewie surely would like being coached under Brondello. But the fact that she's still considering Seattle has to mean she at least doesn't dislike Quinn. And maybe Slooty hears what Stewie has to say about Quinn, which – even as New York probably is still favored (at least by people with varying levels of informed opinions) to land the both of them – could be why we haven't heard Slooty take Seattle out of consideration yet either.

And btw: While Brondello hasn't had a ready-to-contend roster yet in New York, how many years did she have a ready-to-contend roster in Phoenix and underperform there? (I don't remember saying many good things about her back in the day.) For what any of this is worth.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/30/23 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say Connecticut's entire brand in the Curt Miller years was underperforming in the post season. So, yes, a lot of people criticized Miller for that and a lot of people opined that it was time for the Sun to move on fromm him. Lo.amd behold he signs with LA and now JJ has defected.

I agree that the Aces were the team to beat but the Storm absolutely could compete with them with the roster they had.. the Mercury and the subsequent champion Chicago in 2921 were both VERY beatable teams but losing Stewie makes a huge difference there.

As a Phoenix fan, I agree about Brondello.

I think Quinn is a decent coach and will clearly gain experience and could do very well. I'm glad she got the opportunity but I still say it wasn't the right hire. The Storm needed an experienced coach to oversee the last 2 years of Bird and push that roster to the max during their waning championship window. Before the Aces emerged as a juggernaut, Seattle was the perennial odds on favorite for the championship. To me, hiring Quinn was a a big risk that never had a high reward ceiling unless the ownership just expected the team to get by on sheer talent alone.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/30/23 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I have seen Quinn make young HC blunders, occasionally at inopportune moments such as Game 3 of the Semis last year, but I have not seen enough overall from her that warrants any feeling about her in either direction. Maybe she was made HC prematurely, but it's been almost two full seasons of her, and I don't currently think she's in over her head yet, which at least isn't a bad sign. I'm ultimately not calling anyone wrong yet about their predictions for her. It just feels early still; we'll see what happens if/when her top talent is taken away.

That said, she certainly deserves more than having her "bottom bench player" label be tactlessly used against her for one bad playoff game, in a series that her team wasn't favored to win anyway.

Anyone saying the Storm underperformed in the postseason last year maybe didn't properly see Vegas securing the 1 seed to begin with and then Chelsea Gray doing what she did in the playoffs against everyone. Really not sure ultimately who was beating them, and specifically who was beating her. Certainly not experienced HC Curt Miller, whose team finished ahead of the Storm in the standings. While one can argue he had less talent to work with on the Storm than Quinn did – a valid argument – I don't recall anyone saying his team overall underperformed in the playoffs, nor maybe more importantly do I honestly recall anyone saying the Storm had a more talented roster than the Aces themselves. (If they did, feel free to fling it back in my face if that's how you like to do things, cuz I truly missed it.) The Aces I think finished the postseason with every player healthy/able to play – I wonder what would've happened had the Storm been able to say the same.

About the x-factor of coaching in making the big free agency decisions, we all know and don't doubt Stewie surely would like being coached under Brondello. But the fact that she's still considering Seattle has to mean she at least doesn't dislike Quinn. And maybe Slooty hears what Stewie has to say about Quinn, which – even as New York probably is still favored (at least by people with varying levels of informed opinions) to land the both of them – could be why we haven't heard Slooty take Seattle out of consideration yet either.

And btw: While Brondello hasn't had a ready-to-contend roster yet in New York, how many years did she have a ready-to-contend roster in Phoenix and underperform there? (I don't remember saying many good things about her back in the day.) For what any of this is worth.

I used term "bottom bench" to summarize Quinn's experience in high pressure situations (translation almost zero). Throw in her only head coaching was a couple of years in high school, and I think we would all agree she was outmanned by Hammon, but, that said, I don't think this is about rating coaches (tho I will say that I am not sure I can think of any other W coach in history who made as many errors as Quinn in the last 12 sec of that game 3 debacle). It is about the thinking of Stew, multiple champion/winner at every level. I think she would object to the term "underperform" as describing her team's performance; in fact, my guess is the word in her brain would be "sabotage". I agree that LV, especially Chelsea Gray, was phenomenal, and certainly deserved the crown, but, again, not sure competitors like Stew would think same way, when the coaching errors were so obvious and egregious. Sloot (another grizzled vet) would not need anyone else to evaluate Quinn's performance last year as it was obvious to all; besides no way she signs with Sea if Stew is gone. There have been plenty of examples in all sports where huge errors in big games have destroyed careers, and, once again, I think many would agree that Quinn is now on shaky ground (or at least should be if management is competent) . Tho Stew would never publicly discuss this, I think the potential coaching instability in Sea might be a major reason she goes to NY. Brondello's pedigree is the opposite of Quinn. She had long, successful WNBA career as player, with many years as assistant coach. She has 2 Finals appearances as coach, including a title. Sure, like any long term veteran coach, there were plenty of downs (tho I cannot remember glaring coaching errors in game), but getting Phx to the Finals in 2021 (overcoming the loss of Kia Nurse) was plenty good. Stew would remember her as opponent in that fantastic 2018 semi-finals (no coaching malpractice there). My guess is her presence in NY, when contrasted with Quinn, is a big selling point (tho unspoken publicly). As a player, Stew would not have to worry about coaching competence.

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I used term "bottom bench" to summarize Quinn's experience in high pressure situations (translation almost zero). Throw in her only head coaching was a couple of years in high school, and I think we would all agree she was outmanned by Hammon, but, that said, I don't think this is about rating coaches (tho I will say that I am not sure I can think of any other W coach in history who made as many errors as Quinn in the last 12 sec of that game 3 debacle). It is about the thinking of Stew, multiple champion/winner at every level. I think she would object to the term "underperform" as describing her team's performance; in fact, my guess is the word in her brain would be "sabotage". I agree that LV, especially Chelsea Gray, was phenomenal, and certainly deserved the crown, but, again, not sure competitors like Stew would think same way, when the coaching errors were so obvious and egregious. Sloot (another grizzled vet) would not need anyone else to evaluate Quinn's performance last year as it was obvious to all; besides no way she signs with Sea if Stew is gone. There have been plenty of examples in all sports where huge errors in big games have destroyed careers, and, once again, I think many would agree that Quinn is now on shaky ground (or at least should be if management is competent) . Tho Stew would never publicly discuss this, I think the potential coaching instability in Sea might be a major reason she goes to NY. Brondello's pedigree is the opposite of Quinn. She had long, successful WNBA career as player, with many years as assistant coach. She has 2 Finals appearances as coach, including a title. Sure, like any long term veteran coach, there were plenty of downs (tho I cannot remember glaring coaching errors in game), but getting Phx to the Finals in 2021 (overcoming the loss of Kia Nurse) was plenty good. Stew would remember her as opponent in that fantastic 2018 semi-finals (no coaching malpractice there). My guess is her presence in NY, when contrasted with Quinn, is a big selling point (tho unspoken publicly). As a player, Stew would not have to worry about coaching competence.

This is a lot of presumption on top of assumption with a heap of speculation. Quinn had a 12 year career in the league and ran the offense on the 2020 championship team. She had the full endorsement of Dan Hughes when he retired and players LOVE her.

Storm win Game 3 in regulation if Ezi puts her hands up.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s probably true that Miller has received his fair share of flack over the years that Connecticut nearly got over the hump but just couldn’t. Despite making the Finals last year though, I still say, I don’t think many people were expecting his team to ultimately finally break through – and lo & behold, they didn’t. They’ve had many a chance, but 2021 – the one year this era where they finished 1st – was truly supposed to be their year. Expectations for them seemed to have been lowered a bit as the 2022 season went on.

Anyway, maybe it’s me not wanting to hear this Quinn discourse in general, or maybe January 2023, months after last year’s playoffs finished up but right before the bigger free agency moves have been made, is a strange & unexpected time to be having this conversation. In that way, I just feel like y’all are maybe jumping the gun a little bit on Quinn. I think it’ll become obvious through the course of this year what has to happen.

As it pertains to when to give first-time HCs their first chance and what situation is best for them to walk into to be able to achieve success, it’s hard to say. I guess Trammell in Dallas has a decent situation? I don’t envy Sides in Indiana, even if they land Aliyah Boston, because it’s still the Fever we’re talking about. I think the Storm organization intended to give Quinn the keys to the car when they did precisely because they wanted to set her up for success – though I can understand the argument that we maybe did the opposite with that move. Ya don’t see that kind of situation happen much in this league – and maybe that’s part of the reason why.

Will I blame Quinn if Stewart leaves? She’ll be a factor worth considering/mentioning no doubt, but not overall, not when Stewart has her own family to consider, and New York makes all the sense in the world for all three of them. (Unlike a certain… nvm) She did take a meeting with New York before the 2022 season & its playoffs happened, before Quinn could coach her in the playoffs, while still re-signing for 2022. Read into that what ya will – and ya have.

canadaball wrote:
I used term "bottom bench" to summarize Quinn's experience in high pressure situations (translation almost zero).

So career bench players can’t take what they see in crunch time from the bench and apply it to their coaching, which is also done on the sidelines? I’m back to not seeing your logic. It also still reads to me as insulting her. You make some fair points elsewhere, such as how the coaching here could be a big (underrated) factor in Stewart’s free agency process, but here & with other points I’m just gonna agree to disagree and leave it at that.

craigmont wrote:
Storm win Game 3 in regulation if Ezi puts her hands up.

I’ve thought about this moment maybe the most out of all of Game 3’s as well.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/30/23 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, the phrase "Ezi putting her hands up" reminds me of why I find those final 12 seconds fascinating. I think a term paper could be written detailing so much that went on. No point doing it now, but here is just a bit. At 12 sec, with Seattle up 4, Ezi failed to switch and left Riq wide open to hit a 3 (strike one); after Tina missed 2 foul shots, Ezi let Wilson drive unchallenged for layup (yes I know she travelled but still no defense)..strike 2. Now, after Bird's 3 erased the buffoonery, out of the timeout, with under a second left, Quinn put Stew, her best, most experienced interior defender, on the inbounder (if she wanted size , why not use Tina?), leaving guess who? the aforementioned Ezi as the only interior big.....Strike 3!!!!

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/30/23 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Ah, the phrase "Ezi putting her hands up" reminds me of why I find those final 12 seconds fascinating. I think a term paper could be written detailing so much that went on. No point doing it now, but here is just a bit. At 12 sec, with Seattle up 4, Ezi failed to switch and left Riq wide open to hit a 3 (strike one); after Tina missed 2 foul shots, Ezi let Wilson drive unchallenged for layup (yes I know she travelled but still no defense)..strike 2. Now, after Bird's 3 erased the buffoonery, out of the timeout, with under a second left, Quinn put Stew, her best, most experienced interior defender, on the inbounder (if she wanted size , why not use Tina?), leaving guess who? the aforementioned Ezi as the only interior big.....Strike 3!!!!

We're getting way off topic here, but you haven't explained how all of that is on Noelle Quinn. She was plenty smart enough to sweep Mike Thibault out of the playoffs and get Game 1 on the road in Vegas.

Pokey Chatman ran the defense, and are you really suggesting Tina Charles is a better interior defender than Ezi Magbegor?

Since this is sports and close games turn on a bounce of a ball, imagine a world where Tina Charles makes her free throws and Ezi remembers that she's one of the best shot blockers in the league. We can even still give Williams her three and Wilson her layup (look at her wrong and you're getting whistled for a foul.)

Then the Storm squeak out of that one with a win after trailing the whole game and still have to beat Chelsea Gray one more time. Having been at Game 3 in person I can tell you that's no sure thing.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I doubt Quinn was given the job without consulting Bird, Stewart and Loyd.

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/30/23 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
canadaball wrote:

We're getting way off topic here, but you haven't explained how all of that is on Noelle Quinn. She was plenty smart enough to sweep Mike Thibault out of the playoffs and get Game 1 on the road in Vegas.

Pokey Chatman ran the defense, and are you really suggesting Tina Charles is a better interior defender than Ezi Magbegor?

Since this is sports and close games turn on a bounce of a ball, imagine a world where Tina Charles makes her free throws and Ezi remembers that she's one of the best shot blockers in the league. We can even still give Williams her three and Wilson her layup (look at her wrong and you're getting whistled for a foul.)

Then the Storm squeak out of that one with a win after trailing the whole game and still have to beat Chelsea Gray one more time. Having been at Game 3 in person I can tell you that's no sure thing.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I doubt Quinn was given the job without consulting Bird, Stewart and Loyd.

With under a second left, the player guarding the inbounder has just one role: try to obscure the view. My point was that using Stew in that spot (instead of another big like Tina) was wasting her major talents as interior defender, but, look, this is all old news and the only reason it matters (and most certainly not off topic) is that I think it could be a major factor in how Stew perceives a possible playing future in Seattle. Also, over the last several years, the Storm front office, w/o going over the details, has not exactly been the sharpest with personnel moves. A move to NY lands Stew in a far better situation if championships are her target.

blaase22

PostPosted: 01/30/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope she picks NY, being the only OG franchise left after all these years without a title is highly embarrassing.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/30/23 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reeve is a championship winning coach, and new head of the national team... surprised Lynx weren't more of an actual contender.

wonder who the Lynx are taking meetings with other than Stevens and Vandersloot.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/30/23 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
reeve is a championship winning coach, and new head of the national team... surprised Lynx weren't more of an actual contender.

wonder who the Lynx are taking meetings with other than Stevens and Vandersloot.
'

It's giving be worst this season than last season to ensure #1 pick in 2024 for you know who ? Or do we LOL ?

PostPosted: 01/30/23 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Also, over the last several years, the Storm front office, w/o going over the details, has not exactly been the sharpest with personnel moves. A move to NY lands Stew in a far better situation if championships are her target.

The 2018 and 2020 WNBA Champs say hi.

It's fine if you really want Stewie in New York, and there's a pretty good chance you'll get your wish, but it won't be because she has a problem with Noelle Quinn or the Storm organization. She's been very clear about that.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/kevin-durant-makes-recruiting-push-for-breanna-stewart-to-join-new-york-liberty/

Kevin Durant makes recruiting push for Breanna Stewart to join New York Liberty

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Also, over the last several years, the Storm front office, w/o going over the details, has not exactly been the sharpest with personnel moves. A move to NY lands Stew in a far better situation if championships are her target.

The 2018 and 2020 WNBA Champs say hi.

It's fine if you really want Stewie in New York, and there's a pretty good chance you'll get your wish, but it won't be because she has a problem with Noelle Quinn or the Storm organization. She's been very clear about that.

The credit for those championship teams belongs to the 3 no brainer #1 picks and Dan Hughes; now a memory. He brought a solid veteran coaching career to Seattle, and don't forget that he was responsible for 2 of the major trades (steals) in W history (Becky Hammon to the Spurs; Natasha Howard to Sea). Sorry, but the recent front office moves just don't impress; in fact, this current situation where they may lose the best player in the world for nothing is just awful. BTW, you will never ever hear any criticism from Stew about coaching/management, but actions can speak louder than words. Also, consider this: when teams recruit Stew, we have NY offering her a great roster and solid coaching/GM. Now look at Seattle where they currently have just 2 players under contract (and we don't even know if Russell can play) plus I suspect Jewel might jump ship after her core year done. The Seattle pitch must be: "trust us". I doubt Stew (or any smart player), based upon past performance, would take that leap.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Stewart has picked the New York Liberty.

Farewell, Stewie. Thank you for leading us to two championships in your time here. We’ve been so lucky as a franchise to have you and the three other #1 Picks we’ve drafted. 😌 You better help the Liberty to their first title!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck Breanna Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: