RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breanna Stewart's 2023 team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team does Breanna Stewart sign with in free agency?
Seattle
49%
 49%  [ 27 ]
New York
40%
 40%  [ 22 ]
Another team (which one?)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
None; she sits out the 2023 season
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 55

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/11/23 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm don't 'have' Gabby any more than they have Stewie, and Gabby has been very clear and vocal about her position on where she'll choose to play if forced to: France.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/11/23 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Ionescu/Dangerfield
Laney/Johannes/Willoughby
Stewart/Allen
Howard/(Sabally, Kone or #6)
Dolson/Han Xu

Stewart & Howard won championships together as a starting post tandem. Dolson won a championship as a bench player. Playing all three at the same time doesn’t make sense, to me.

If y’all keep that #6 pick, that player’s not not making the roster tbh.

Still can’t believe the Liberty picked up Willoughby’s option. 🥴 Looked sorta bad at the time, kinda looks even worse now considering her shooting struggles in the WNBL these days. I wonder if she’s even or will ever be fully healthy.

J-Spoon wrote:
I guess I will keep my mind open to Stewart after all.

you… you really didn’t even want to just outright sign her for a year until just now?

Stewie come back to Seattle, they don’t want you in NY like we do 😭😭😭

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/11/23 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

<snip> or fun out there idea instead of Sloot joining Stewart in Chi, Stewart joins Sloot, Parker and Copper in Chicago 9Could probably work if Sloot, Parker and Stewie take reg. max or slightly less). (Do Parker and Stewart have bad blood because of the Olympic thing back in the day?)

That was a coaching decision, I highly doubt Parker would hold Stewie responsible.

PostPosted: 01/11/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

J-Spoon wrote:
I guess I will keep my mind open to Stewart after all.

you… you really didn’t even want to just outright sign her for a year until just now?

Stewie come back to Seattle, they don’t want you in NY like we do 😭😭😭

I am stunned that here so far (small sample size) I seem to be the only Liberty fan saying:

"just outright sign her for a year" OF COURSE!!!

If there has to be a trade, then it depends on the package New York would have to give for Stewart. I would NOT include Sabrina Ionescu in any such package. But I'd consider anyone else on our roster.

Signing Stewart as a free agent... for many years, for two years, for one year... YES YES YES.

PostPosted: 01/11/23 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously signing Stewart at any cost is a great move

I just have an over romanticized vision of the liberty as a gritty under dog so clearly signing one of the best players in the world clashes with that vision

It is pretty similar to an NBA team signing Durant or LeBron of course you do it but (I don’t know how to finish the sentence but I am sure people know what I mean)

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/11/23 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/VCYO4udFoGo?feature=share

Matt Ellentuck also seems to think Stewart will end up in NY. He may be on to something with the agent leaking the story about the meeting.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/11/23 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe I've said this before, but let the record state that if Stewart goes to New York or any other team, the Storm ought to be prepared to trade Jewell Loyd (assuming she's not completely against the idea) and hard-reset the team. Acquire all the high picks & young talent that you can in free agency, and fill out the remaining roster spots with filler players & otherwise. 2024 and 2025 IMO look like good years to be a Lottery team. Hope that Ezi Magbegor wants to stick around through it and really get her the chance at hitting her true ceiling.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/12/23 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
The Storm don't 'have' Gabby any more than they have Stewie, and Gabby has been very clear and vocal about her position on where she'll choose to play if forced to: France.

Gabby Williams is a restricted free agent, so the Storm of have little more say in whether she plays for another WNBA team since they can match any contract she signs if they want to, they don’t have that option with Breanna Stewart.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/12/23 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Gabby Williams is a restricted free agent, so the Storm of have little more say in whether she plays for another WNBA team since they can match any contract she signs if they want to, they don’t have that option with Breanna Stewart.

Think I may have heard it mentioned here, but with Prioritization kicking in, it seems that Gabby has made it known that she’d stay with her French team.

Caveat: I may have that wrong, so feel free to set the record straight. Smile

PostPosted: 01/12/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're not wrong on Williams, but it is really tight. The Finals of the French playoffs are scheduled for May 17, May 20 and May 22 if necessary. Historically, they don't bother to change those dates even if both the semis finish in sweeps or whatever. The WNBA regular season starts on May 19.

So it's just so stupidly close that it feels like there should still be hope. Her team could go out before the Finals, of course. But unless there was some kind of agreement made with her team or the French league made changes, it seems unlikely anyone would sign her and bank on her being there.

Fortunately, she's pretty much the only player in France worth worrying about this year in relation to WNBA Prioritization.

PostPosted: 01/13/23 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You're not wrong on Williams, but it is really tight. The Finals of the French playoffs are scheduled for May 17, May 20 and May 22 if necessary. Historically, they don't bother to change those dates even if both the semis finish in sweeps or whatever. The WNBA regular season starts on May 19.

So it's just so stupidly close that it feels like there should still be hope. Her team could go out before the Finals, of course. But unless there was some kind of agreement made with her team or the French league made changes, it seems unlikely anyone would sign her and bank on her being there.

Fortunately, she's pretty much the only player in France worth worrying about this year in relation to WNBA Prioritization.

There is also the possibility that she would sacrifice a WNBA season to participate in all of the French national team's training camp.
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/13/23 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault as Mystics GM now has more time on his hands to do the job. The Mystics with the addition of Breanna Stewart will be the favorite to the 2023 WNBA Championship.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/13/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Stewie goes anywhere else in general, i’ll be screaming/crying/throwing up – but like tenfold if she goes to a team not named New York (or Connecticut), especially one that already has a title to their name

canadaball

PostPosted: 01/13/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would guess there are 2 obstacles to Stew returning to Seattle: (1) She needs a pg; Sloot seems the only viable option for the Storm to contend. I have to laugh at suggestions that Canada would be a good fit. Jordin has continued to be the worst outside shooter in the W, which would enable teams to drop off; in addition, when last playing with Stew, she actually took more shots when on the court together. (2) Assuming Seattle gets Sloot (I believe this is necessary for a Stew return), there is the issue of Seattle coaching. As last year's LV playoff series showed, it is hard to beat a million dollar coach (Hammon) who had tons big game experience as player and NBA assistant with Quinn, whose pedigree is deep bench W sub and high school head coach.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/13/23 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

idk of anyone who has suggested Canada should come back (as either a starter or a bench player), but lemme just say that i’m certainly not for that

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/13/23 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had Sloot as. First option
Jefferson who has played with Stevie before as a big possibility
And stop gap options of some combo of
Retreads Canada or Whitcomb maybe balanced out by L.Allen
Obviously I don’t see Canada or Whitcomb as a permanent solution but rather as a we didn’t get anyone else devil you know kind of option

With D. Rob going to Atlanta maybe Wheeler Whois a free agent could work

But overall if Stevie stays in Seattle I think it will be with Sloot or Jefferson as the PG

Seattle has been experimenting with Loyd at point so maybe they do that

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/13/23 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Seattle has been experimenting with Loyd at point so maybe they do that

Not in WNBA games they haven't. Whitcomb really isn't a point guard unless your name is Sandy Brondello, either.

PostPosted: 01/13/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well loyd would be wasted at PG anyway

If she doesn’t retire maybe Toliver? I could see a Toliver/Loyd back court working.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/13/23 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nah, Toliver’s washed at this point – i hope she bows out gracefully and retires

i like Lindsay Allen as an option, though the Lynx probably end up bringing her back

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

down to the two teams we all thought it’d be down to

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1619771903295750144

Quote:
Breanna Stewart has officially narrowed down her potential free agency destination to Seattle or New York, a league source informs @Winsidr

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
down to the two teams we all thought it’d be down to

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1619771903295750144

Quote:
Breanna Stewart has officially narrowed down her potential free agency destination to Seattle or New York, a league source informs @Winsidr

Yeah Minnesota and Washington seemed like very unlikely options. I'm thinking she is waiting on Sloot. They're probably coordinating.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/29/23 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it’s down to Stewie’s home state vs. Slooty’s home state

Pros for both signing with Seattle:
—Slooty can get max, Stewie can get supermax
—more say in the next phases of roster construction
—more combined familiarity with the area

Pros for both signing with New York:
—more of a filled-out roster, esp. re: pure talent
—bigger (well, biggest) market, potentially bigger branding opportunities
—closer to many different cities (like Chicago) & countries (like Spain)

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I kind of hope she stays in Seattle. I was excited by the idea of her in NY but my inner fan of competitive balance would not feel great if NY got Sloot, Stewie and JJ in one off season to go with Io. I think adding JJ already catapults NY to a top 4 team in the league and replacing Bird with Sloot would maintain Seattle's calibre.

I want more competitive teams not more superteams.

Although, I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I was thrilled when PHX aggressively added Diamond and Charles last year but neither of them are (currently) MVP level players. But still, I'm being hypocritical.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I'd amend this: "definitely" bigger branding opportunities in New York.

I think your analysis is valuable. If indeed Stewart and Vandersloot are making a joint decision (many seem to be assuming that, but there's no guarantee that it's correct), you've demonstrated that there are good reasons for them to choose either Seattle or New York.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm conflicted: on one hand, losing Stewart and the Compiler in the same offseason would, in the words of a famous irritant in the men's game, send the Storm back to expansionism, and I'm in favor of that. On the other hand, Stewart to New York would immediately make the Liberty contenders for the franchise's first championship, and I'd hate to break that Make-A-Wish thing the Sun have happening.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: