RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Abbey Hsu - Columbia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/11/22 3:22 am    ::: Abbey Hsu - Columbia Reply Reply with quote

Currently leading D1 in 3PM with 39, shooting them at a clip of 48.1%.

HERE are highlights of her hitting 9-11 against UMass, for 34 points with 6 rebounds and 4 assists.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 12/13/22 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/11/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve had the pleasure of seeing her in action a few times, and my impression of her is that she is extremely streaky- if she’s having a day, she’ll put up a highlight reel like the one you posted or the game where at one point she was personally doubling up Lafayette. But when I’ve seen her, she’s just as likely to get too far into her own head, and then her shots will fall short and her attention to defense will suffer; in the last bad game I saw from her, her coach had to spend a lot of time giving her what appeared to be reassurances or other forms of pep talks.

Also, I would be willing to bet real money that if she grad transfers to finish her eligibility, she’ll go to Florida Gulf Coast, and that if she doesn’t, it will because she has had quite enough of Florida.

PostPosted: 12/11/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, she's only at the beginning of her junior year.

It's nice to see the historically pathetic Lions competing with Princeton for the top of the Ivies. That new coach is doing a decent job.

I think I'll go to the Columbia @ Yale game, and maybe make one last trip to Columbia to see the Harvard game (two of my four almas).
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/11/22 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Columbia is definitely an adventure to watch. Buy a 12 pack of Mountain Dew, shake the box until your arms hurt, and then get some friends to help you open all the cans at once, and you’ve got a decent metaphor for Columbia. High energy, high speed, never appearing to be under control but somehow almost always corralling it, and sometimes disastrously flat.

PostPosted: 12/11/22 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie, I haven't heard/read a whit of feedback from you re: the undefeated Johnnies?? Are they (and Tartamella) still persona non grata to you?

PostPosted: 12/12/22 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie, I haven't heard/read a whit of feedback from you re: the undefeated Johnnies?? Are they (and Tartamella) still persona non grata to you?

I think I’m more excited, and certainly more on-topic, about the fact that Columbia is receiving votes in the AP poll for the first time in school history.

PostPosted: 12/13/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched Columbia demolish LIU, 90-47. The NEC announcers said that Columbia's 32 point first quarter, featuring seven made three-point shots, was the best they've ever seen at any level of basketball. For whatever that's worth.

Columbia's high scorer with 24 points was Duke transfer Jaida Patrick.

The Lions give the impression of a team in which everyone is a three-point shooter and a point guard. Not much height, though.

The Lions are one of the nation's top offensive and 3-point shooting teams. Entering Sunday, they ranked No. 1 in the NCAA in total threes (121), No. 3 in makes per game (11.0) and No. 8 in 3-point field goal percentage (.399). They also boast one of the nation's top 25 scoring offenses at 81.1 points per game and share the ball exceptionally well, ranking top 10 in the NCAA in assists per game (19.5).
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/14/22 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i, uhh, didn't realize Abbey Hsu is from Parkland, FL. and after some research: yep, she was in class at Stoneman Douglas HS on that fateful day and thankfully survived the infamous Parkland school shooting of 2018.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/fl-sp-hsu-msd-20190214-story.html

and if that wasn't enough,

Quote:
Hsu struggled to flee from her campus [the day of the shooting]. She had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee about two weeks prior. While trying to escape, she even paused for an elevator before a teacher urged her to use the stairs.

“Luckily, she [didn’t] encounter any of the actual shooting,” Hsu’s father, Alex, said.

crazy. anywho, it's a really good article about her and all that she was going through at the time; i do recommend it. (she's also part-Asian part-white like i am, so learning about people like that always resonates with me of course.)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/14/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a good find and very interesting, Stormeo. I never would have made that high school connection about Hsu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: