RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Cap/Roster Breakdowns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/02/22 8:16 pm    ::: 2023 WNBA Cap/Roster Breakdowns Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
2023 WNBA Roster and Salary Cap situations heading into free agency
We break down where every WNBA team stands before the negotiations begin in January

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2023-wnba-salary-cap-rosters-free-agency-primer

PostPosted: 12/03/22 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this here Luuuc, I forgot. These are mine, in case anyone was wondering. Details about where everyone stands before free agency gets started next month.

PostPosted: 12/03/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Thanks for posting this here Luuuc, I forgot. These are mine, in case anyone was wondering. Details about where everyone stands before free agency gets started next month.

As always, thanks so much, Richyyy, for this incredibly valuable information. And thanks, Luuuc, for posting this.

PostPosted: 12/09/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hearing about MLB free agency news here & there, it'd be so fun if free agency for this league started basically right after the Finals ended. even a month or so after the fact would be fun. these annual 3.5 months or so of absolute dead time (closer to 4.5 months this year!) between the end of Finals and the start of free agency would beautifully become a thing of the past, cuz good god they're such a momentum killer for a league that historically has had a hard time building up momentum during the season anyway.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/09/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
hearing about MLB free agency news here & there, it'd be so fun if free agency for this league started basically right after the Finals ended. even a month or so after the fact would be fun. these annual 3.5 months or so of absolute dead time (closer to 4.5 months this year!) between the end of Finals and the start of free agency would beautifully become a thing of the past, cuz good god they're such a momentum killer for a league that historically has had a hard time building up momentum during the season anyway.

That's more caused by the length of the season than anything. when you only play for 4-5 months, it's inevitably going to be hard to fill the rest of the year with stuff to keep people's attention. There's going to be a lot of dead time somewhere.

PostPosted: 12/09/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

That's more caused by the length of the season than anything. when you only play for 4-5 months, it's inevitably going to be hard to fill the rest of the year with stuff to keep people's attention. There's going to be a lot of dead time somewhere.

well, i almost said that the league needs to find a way to play at least seven months out of the year, but they seem to be slowly inching towards that. eight months out of the year well down the road would be ideal. the schedule calendar's gonna need to get elongated a bit past the oct. 31 day it currently is in the next CBA, but even a couple weeks into november would help.

pondering what things would be like if they elongated it at the beginning of the season, though chaotically a fun concept, seems like a non-starter.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/09/22 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You see, personally I hate the length of the regular seasons in leagues like the NBA, MLB and NHL. I just find it incredibly tedious to play for months on end only to decide the positioning for the games that actually matter at the end. I continue to maintain that this is one of the key reasons that the NFL is #1 by some distance these days - each game matters when the season is only 17 games. Each game is virtually meaningless when there are 82+.

So I'm not really looking forward to them adding more and more games, devaluing each one in the process.

PostPosted: 12/09/22 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh I don't disagree. i've come to realize a wnba regular season with games in the mid-40s is probably good enough, with absolutely no more than 50 or 52 – and we're already now at 40. but the season itself (not the season’s calendar – an important distinction I’m editing in) can be added on to both at the beginning and at the end as well, with longer playoffs (starting with a 7-game finals?) plus like an extra week of training camp with 1-2 more preseason games. it'd be a well-rounded uptake that gets to that 7-8 month endgoal.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/09/22 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted.

PostPosted: 12/10/22 4:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd be perfectly happy if they stretched out the schedule more, and added more playoff games, and added a few teams, while resisting actually expanding the number of regular season games each team plays. It's even more pointless in a league where there's yet to be any meaningful evidence that each team actually makes more money due to more home dates. That's the only reason the NBA won't go down from 82.

Just chucking more games on the pile to 'increase the league's footprint' or whatever is a terrible idea. All you do is increase the wear and tear on the players and make each game more disposable.

All of which has very little to do with the topic of the article that started this thread. Go read about free agency! Smile

Also, our third annual Mock Offseason podcast has been recorded and is coming soon, for anyone who remembers those and is interested.

PostPosted: 12/12/22 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I agree 1000%

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/12/22 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kind of out there but not too out there free agent predictions for each team

Atl
Tina Charles at a good price (and Hayes and Wheeler return as well)
Howard is the new center of the wheel but vets Charles (played with T. Wright and will take secondary role on this team to everyone's surprise), Wheeler, Hayes and Parker round out a strong starting 5

Chicago
brings back Parker and Stevens but
looses Sloot
maybe replaces her by over paying or sign and trading for M. Mabrey
sneaky mid level signing that pays off Coffey

Conn
can only hold onto one of its free agents and it ends up being Heideman
surprising vet minimum pick up K. Nurse

Dallas
retains McCowan but at a high price
and gets Gray to recommit
also adds pick #5 From Chicago in Mabrey trade
unexpected signing at good value coming over with coach from LA
B. Sykes adding a nice defensive stopper to the bench

Indy
no one but Boston is more than enough to push the rebuild into positive gains

LA
retains Nneka, Cheney and Zahui B
and poaches from Millers old team
B. Stewart
and C. Will
(hopefully that works for Carter but not sure Miller will be all that in on Carter anyway and might waive or trade her for little value more on that later)
one of Toliver or L. Brown returns to kind of run the point

LV
magically retain Stokes and keeps it moving

Minn
holds down the point with cost effective deals for Jefferson and Allen
and after failing to sign and trade for McCowan to replace Fowles
still gets a little help from Dallas by signing I. Harrison (and maybe getting a deal on Alarie or Ch. Collier when Dallas realizes they have to cut another post anyway)

NY
no new free agents but
gets Johannes and Han Xu to return as well as Dangerfield
not sure what happens with N. Sabally but
unexpected big win is S. Kone also joining the team in 23

PX somehow keeps Cunningham and Peddy
maybe because Taurasi comes back at a discount
but the big move is
(when you don't have a lot of cap you have to take risks) brings in Carter either for free or a 2nd round pick current or future

Sea
keeps Stewart
brings in Sloot to create new big 3 with Stewart and Loyd
keeps Magbegor and gets healthy Russell back
and brings in cheap vets who know the system in Clark and Whitcomb
keeps Talbot as well but only if Gabby is suspended under prioritization rule

Wash
keeps their support vets on cheap deals
SWK and E. Will
Tiff Mitchell is the slightly surprising pick up
pretty much still a contender if Cloud, Atkins and EDD are healthy
and new lottery pick joins Austin as the future

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 12/13/22 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
LA
B. Stewart
and C. Will
(hopefully that works for Carter but not sure Miller will be all that in on Carter anyway and might waive or trade her for little value more on that later)

I assume you meant B. Thomas and not B. Stewart here.

PostPosted: 12/13/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
Quote:
LA
B. Stewart
and C. Will

Or I'm thinking the original poster meant Brionna Jones?
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/13/22 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:
Quote:
LA
B. Stewart
and C. Will

Or I'm thinking the original poster meant Brionna Jones?

Yes Bri Jones my bad

I think a Bri Jones/N. Ogwumike front-court has championship potential

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/16/22 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
kind of out there but not too out there free agent predictions for each team

Atl
Tina Charles at a good price (and Hayes and Wheeler return as well)
Howard is the new center of the wheel but vets Charles (played with T. Wright and will take secondary role on this team to everyone's surprise), Wheeler, Hayes and Parker round out a strong starting 5

Chicago
brings back Parker and Stevens but
looses Sloot
maybe replaces her by over paying or sign and trading for M. Mabrey
sneaky mid level signing that pays off Coffey

Conn
can only hold onto one of its free agents and it ends up being Heideman
surprising vet minimum pick up K. Nurse

Dallas
retains McCowan but at a high price
and gets Gray to recommit
also adds pick #5 From Chicago in Mabrey trade
unexpected signing at good value coming over with coach from LA
B. Sykes adding a nice defensive stopper to the bench

Indy
no one but Boston is more than enough to push the rebuild into positive gains

LA
B. Stewart
and C. Will

LV
magically retain Stokes and keeps it moving

Minn
holds down the point with cost effective deals for Jefferson and Allen
and after failing to sign and trade for McCowan to replace Fowles
still gets a little help from Dallas by signing I. Harrison (and maybe getting a deal on Alarie or Ch. Collier when Dallas realizes they have to cut another post anyway)

NY
no new free agents but
gets Johannes and Han Xu to return as well as Dangerfield
not sure what happens with N. Sabally but
unexpected big win is S. Kone also joining the team in 23

PX somehow keeps Cunningham and Peddy
maybe because Taurasi comes back at a discount
but the big move is
(when you don't have a lot of cap you have to take risks) brings in Carter either for free or a 2nd round pick current or future

Sea
keeps Stewart
brings in Sloot to create new big 3 with Stewart and Loyd
keeps Magbegor and gets healthy Russell back
and brings in cheap vets who know the system in Clark and Whitcomb
keeps Talbot as well but only if Gabby is suspended under prioritization rule

Wash
keeps their support vets on cheap deals
SWK and E. Will
Tiff Mitchell is the slightly surprising pick up
pretty much still a contender if Cloud, Atkins and EDD are healthy
and new lottery pick joins Austin as the future

Damn J, you knocked it out the park with this one! Your Dallas prediction is exactly what I've suggested on my Twitter account as well.

As for Mccowan...how much are we talking? I was thinking $120k.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 12/16/22 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Diana is serious about winning, I cannot imagine a scenario where she will take a max anything. She should do like Sue and take the miminum so that money can go towards Cunningham and Griner, who said on Instagram she intends to play.

I think Kia Nurse and Gustafson should be brought back as well. With Diggins-Smith pregnant and Peddy recovering from a torn achilles, I think another ball handler is a necessity at this point. Maybe try to lure Mabrey away from Dallas or get Jefferson on a vet minimum.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/16/22 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
If Diana is serious about winning, I cannot imagine a scenario where she will take a max anything. She should do like Sue and take the miminum so that money can go towards Cunningham and Griner, who said on Instagram she intends to play.

I think Kia Nurse and Gustafson should be brought back as well. With Diggins-Smith pregnant and Peddy recovering from a torn achilles, I think another ball handler is a necessity at this point. Maybe try to lure Mabrey away from Dallas or get Jefferson on a vet minimum.

What are we getting in return???

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 12/16/22 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

A team could potentially just outbid them. Richyy makes a very solid point that if Dallas is interested in making free agency moves Dallas might have to consider trading Mabrey or McCowan or simply letting them walk. Phoenix might not be a team interested in overpaying for her but she’d certainly fit in style wise and fills a need. With Griner confirming her intent to play, I’d pencil her along with Cunningham and Taurasi as locks to come back. The organization has invested in Cunningham with a broadcasting gig for the Suns this off-season that might make her willing to take a small discount and Taurasi could take a significant cut to make one final run. It’s not out the realm of possibility for Phoenix or any team to just make an offer that would put Dallas in a challenging position.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/23/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

A team could potentially just outbid them. Richyy makes a very solid point that if Dallas is interested in making free agency moves Dallas might have to consider trading Mabrey or McCowan or simply letting them walk. Phoenix might not be a team interested in overpaying for her but she’d certainly fit in style wise and fills a need. With Griner confirming her intent to play, I’d pencil her along with Cunningham and Taurasi as locks to come back. The organization has invested in Cunningham with a broadcasting gig for the Suns this off-season that might make her willing to take a small discount and Taurasi could take a significant cut to make one final run. It’s not out the realm of possibility for Phoenix or any team to just make an offer that would put Dallas in a challenging position.

Honestly, I've already excepted the fact that Mabrey will not be wearing a Wings uniform next season....It just hurts to hear people outside of Dallas confirm what I have already been thinking from the beginning 😥😥😥

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/29/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey likes playing with Ogunbowale though

All it may take is Dallas matching an offer sheet; I can definitely see Mabrey staying put

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/29/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Storm can't core [Breanna Stewart] because Jewell Loyd counts as their core player under the two-year deal she signed last offseason. Technically, if they traded Loyd away in early January, their core spot would be opened up to use on Stewart, but that doesn't seem likely.

not likely, but not out of the question if Stewart chooses New York in the next couple weeks and indicates her choice to the Storm front office

hoping for a mostly quiet January, as is the standard with this league’s interminable offseason lol

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/29/22 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Quote:
The Storm can't core [Breanna Stewart] because Jewell Loyd counts as their core player under the two-year deal she signed last offseason. Technically, if they traded Loyd away in early January, their core spot would be opened up to use on Stewart, but that doesn't seem likely.

not likely, but not out of the question if Stewart chooses New York in the next couple weeks and indicates her choice to the Storm front office

If her intention were to leave but to try to help Seattle out on the way out, she could also tell New York she wants to come but wants the supermax. Only way to get that done is via sign-and-trade with Seattle, so she'd be forcing New York to give something up for her, without making Seattle jump through hoops to open up their core spot and blow up the team even beyond Stewart.

Of course, Stewart would then be damaging the potential quality of her new team. My guess is that if she ends up in New York, she just walks there as a regular UFA for the standard max.

PostPosted: 12/29/22 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First i've heard of Mabrey wanting to leave or being let go by Dallas. Off season should be an interesting one. I find it hard to believe that Dallas wont match any offer mabrey is given although if not then its understandable because its "Bibb" smh. Overall Burton is not ready to be a full time PG starter in this league and Mabrey is still our best option at PG. Losing Gray and Mabrey would not be ideal this offseason so im unsure where the rumors are coming from. Gray most likely yes , Mabrey is new news to me.

PostPosted: 12/29/22 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If her intention were to leave but to try to help Seattle out on the way out, she could also tell New York she wants to come but wants the supermax. Only way to get that done is via sign-and-trade with Seattle, so she'd be forcing New York to give something up for her, without making Seattle jump through hoops to open up their core spot and blow up the team even beyond Stewart.

Of course, Stewart would then be damaging the potential quality of her new team. My guess is that if she ends up in New York, she just walks there as a regular UFA for the standard max.

agreed – and i highly doubt Stewart would sign for more than one year no matter which team it is cuz Prioritization’s gonna be more strict in '24

i’m sure she wouldn’t mind taking a slight pay cut for a single year so as not to weaken the team she’s going to, cuz it’s not like her WNBA salary makes up a whole lot of her annual earnings anyway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: