RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 22-23
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/16/22 8:26 pm    ::: Big East 22-23 Reply Reply with quote

Starting a Big East thread for the 22-23 season.

I'll start off here asking what is up with DePaul? They were picked to finish 4th in the BE this year so not expected to be at the very top of the conference. Yet they are 1-2 and have lost at Northern Illinois and at home to Cleveland State. I would not have expected them to have lost to either team.

Marquette put out a tweet today about being off to a great start with a 3-0 week - yeah it was 3 home games against teams they should have beaten easily. They are about to face much tougher competition in the Bahamas - playing Texas to open their tournament on Saturday.

Creighton is off to a good start so far against some decent competition I see.

UCONN is doing what I'd expect UCONN to do.

I thought it was interesting to see that IUPUI went to Butler and beat their former coach (there is a lot of work to be done at Butler though).

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/16/22 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been WTFing in DePaul’s general direction too. Chicagoans, any idea what’s going on there? Is it a mismatch between their best player’s skill set and high-speed three-shooting DePaullball? Is it just a rough start that will do something crazy like even out against Connecticut?

Creighton looks like they’re ready to make that jump into DePaul’s slot of “oh yeah, the other good Big East team”. Either that or Jim Flanery has decided to claim the Midwest as his empire by right of conquest.

Villanova’s win over Princeton is looking good for the conference.

Seton Hall really needs the rest of the team to step up, because a) they will win more games and b) if the rest of the team contributes, Lauren Park-Lane will be less inclined to call her own number for floaters in the paint and my blood pressure will be eased.

The rest of the conference just basically needs to not crap the bed in the non-con, because that’s going to determine how many tournament bids the BEast gets.

Sidebar: it’s been strange but fun to be untethered from St. John’s.

PostPosted: 11/17/22 9:43 am    ::: Re: Big East 22-23 Reply Reply with quote

there was already a Big East '22-'23 thread made, that you probably forgot you had commented on Laughing

i'll bring over all that was said on it cuz y'all had posted important info & commentary there

Queenie wrote:
Didn’t see that we had a thread yet for the Big East, so let’s come in hot with the schedule drop: https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2022/9/12//Copy_of_2022_23_WBB_Conference_Composite_9_11.pdf?id=18880

Butler: https://butlersports.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
Creighton: https://gocreighton.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
DePaul: https://depaulbluedemons.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
Georgetown: https://guhoyas.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Marquette: https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
Providence: https://friars.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
St. John’s: https://redstormsports.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Seton Hall: https://shupirates.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/
UConn: https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Villanova: https://villanova.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Xavier: https://goxavier.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

The biggest change here is the removal of pod scheduling, which was the bane of my existence as a St. John’s and Seton Hall fan, since they would always be playing on the same day. At long last, I can go to both Senior Days... the year that I give up on St. John’s in despair, LOL.

A quick glance suggests that the first two weeks of February are going to be the crucible for the middle of the conference, and will ultimately determine how many at-large bids the conference deserves. How many it will get will depend on the non-conference schedules and who makes the most out of what they’ve scheduled. Some have scheduled more aggressively than others.

As a reminder: UConn talk has its own thread. If it’s specific to UConn, it goes there. If it’s general to the conference or pertains to a Big East team that is not UConn, throw it in, let’s talk about it.

Marquette Fan wrote:
It's going to be weird to not have the Fri/Sun pod schedule but it will be nice to not have to go from Omaha to Creighton with a super quick turnaround.

I'm not expecting a lot from Marquette this year but would love to be wrong.

anyway, it appears Creighton is really vying to be the #2-or-better team this year – some really impressive showings out of their trip to the Dakota That Houses Mt. Rushmore

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/17/22 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tried searching first and the search wasn’t working - sorry for making a duplicate thread.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/17/22 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly it didn't work the first time, so *shrug*

PostPosted: 11/18/22 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Columbia beat Seton Hall last night. I didn't see that coming. Maybe this season I'll risk death in NYC and go to Levien Gymnasium for the first time in 47 years, for one last visit to alma mater.

I recall watching Mario Savio, leader of the Berkeley free speech movement and the cynosure of gigantic student crowds, speak against political speech suppression at Columbia on December 11, 1964. The newspapers the next day compared his visage and delivery to both Billy Graham and Mort Sahl.

Funny how the worm turns. The student crowds at liberal universities now shout down, petition against and bully speech with which they imagine they'll disagree.

Sorry for the off-topic nostalgia.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/18/22 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn, Creighton, and Villanova seem to be the Tourney teams
I don't see DePaul getting in this year
upsetting that former UW Husky (and Drake Bulldog) Kierra Collier appears to be hurt, cuz i think she makes a difference for the Blue Demons

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/18/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish I was in the Bahamas to watch Marquette play. They may not do too well in the tournament but it would be a lot warmer at least 😀

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/19/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoorah for Marquette beating Texas, 68-61, and they did it with the same MOV as UConn and apparently with better defense.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/22 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Hoorah for Marquette beating Texas, 68-61, and they did it with the same MOV as UConn and apparently with better defense.

I did not expect this at all but I'm happy to be wrong Smile. And Gonzaga pulls the upset over Louisville themselves so no Texas-Lousville game in the semi's as expected. Hopefully Marquette can pull off the win over Gonzaga tomorrow.

And I went and saw Marquette volleyball beat Creighton in 3 sets tonight to clinch a share of the Big East regular season title - it was a great Marquette sports day!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/22 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I did not expect this at all but I'm happy to be wrong Smile. And Gonzaga pulls the upset over Louisville themselves so no Texas-Lousville game in the semi's as expected. Hopefully Marquette can pull off the win over Gonzaga tomorrow.

And I went and saw Marquette volleyball beat Creighton in 3 sets tonight to clinch a share of the Big East regular season title - it was a great Marquette sports day!

Congratulations! I am happy for you. Great win for your team.

But I am really curious what, as a Marquette fan, is your take-away from this win? A commentary on Marquette being much better than you expected? On Texas being overrated? On a major upset, perhaps an artifact of these odd Caribbean tournaments? Or something else entirely? You're usually pretty thoughtful and reliable on Marquette and BE matters and I'm trying to make some sense of this early season chaos.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/22 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Congratulations! I am happy for you. Great win for your team.

But I am really curious what, as a Marquette fan, is your take-away from this win? A commentary on Marquette being much better than you expected? On Texas being overrated? On a major upset, perhaps an artifact of these odd Caribbean tournaments? Or something else entirely? You're usually pretty thoughtful and reliable on Marquette and BE matters and I'm trying to make some sense of this early season chaos.

I didn't see the game as I was out and about during most of it and at the Marquette volleyball game at the end of it. So all I know is from looking at the stats and watching highlights.

Texas is probably overrated a bit now especially with Rori Harmon being out. I think Marquette might be a tad better than expected but am still not sure about them being an NCAA Tournament team.

But this was a big win that got them a lot of attention and that's a good thing in my opinion. Their non-conference schedule isn't very tough - this tournament is the only time they are leaving home and Colorado is the only tough opponent they are playing at home. So beating Texas wlll help them - will be interesting to see how they fare against Gonzaga today.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/20/22 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Marquette beat a Texas without Rori? That could be the deciding factor.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Harmon hasn't played in any of Texas's games so far this season due to a toe injury

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/22 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I think Marquette might be a tad better than expected but am still not sure about them being an NCAA Tournament team.

They made SportCenter last night BTW. All I saw was the highlights, but in that brief look, they looked pretty smooth and competent, not wild or out of control as one might expect if it was just a lucky hot-shooting upset. You may be giving them too little credit questioning their tourney bona files. Although their weak schedule may hurt them come selection time. Gives them little margin for error.

Update - Marquette beat Gonzaga this afternoon. Another good win.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/20/22 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Does it matter? Marquette was picked to finish #6 in the Big East. Texas hasn't had Rori all season.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/22 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Does it matter? Marquette was picked to finish #6 in the Big East. Texas hasn't had Rori all season.

And Kayleigh Truong didn't play for Gonzaga today which meant they were at full strength. But that's out of Marquette's control and the win still counts at least Smile. Marquette will play in the championship game of the tournament against UCLA tomorrow.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/20/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love to see Marquette holding it down for the conference against some of the more established programs.

Elsewhere in Big East action:

DePaul got 36 from Darrione Rogers and 35 from Aneesah Morrow to get back on track against Miami, 98-83.

Creighton continued their quest to claim the state of Iowa by conquest with an 85-66 win over Northern Iowa, getting 23 points from Emma Ronsiek in the process.

Maddy Siegrist opened up a can of whoopass to the tune of 41 points and 16 rebounds to power Villanova to a 74-71 win over Temple in Big 5 play.

Providence let the whole conference down, losing 73-64 to Boston College. Janai Crooms led all scorers with 25 in the loss.

UConn overpowered NC State 91-69, with Azzi Fudd leading four Huskies in double figures with 32. That game has a dedicated thread.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Her Hoop Stats right now, the top three scorers (PPG) in D1 are:

1. 31.5 - Aneesah Morrow (DePaul)
2. 30.0 - Azzi Fudd (UConn)
3. 29.0 - Maddie Siegrist (Villanova) (tied)

First in assists per game at 10.3 is Nika Muhl (UConn).
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/22 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Love to see Marquette holding it down for the conference against some of the more established programs.

Elsewhere in Big East action:

DePaul got 36 from Darrione Rogers and 35 from Aneesah Morrow to get back on track against Miami, 98-83.

Creighton continued their quest to claim the state of Iowa by conquest with an 85-66 win over Northern Iowa, getting 23 points from Emma Ronsiek in the process.

Maddy Siegrist opened up a can of whoopass to the tune of 41 points and 16 rebounds to power Villanova to a 74-71 win over Temple in Big 5 play.

Providence let the whole conference down, losing 73-64 to Boston College. Janai Crooms led all scorers with 25 in the loss.

UConn overpowered NC State 91-69, with Azzi Fudd leading four Huskies in double figures with 32. That game has a dedicated thread.

Thanks for the great recaps.

Glad to see DePaul got a win - that's quite the combo with a 36 and 35 point scorer.

Creighton is also doing the anti-Marquette and going on the road as I see they had their 3rd road non-conference game this year already. And I also read they have had a different leading scorer in each game so far - seems like they could be pretty scary this year.

Nice game by Siegrist there - that final score was a little closer than I expected but a win is a win of course.

For UCONN, there's nothing I can really add about the game. But glad to hear Chris Dailey is ok.

As for Marquette, Texas losing again probably doesn't help them a whole lot but oh well. I sure wish they weren't playing during the day tomorrow though - stupid work will get in the way of watching their game vs. UCLA.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/20/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it had been advertised the championship game of the Battle 4 Atlantis would be on ESPN. Tonight Marquette put out on social media it is now on ESPN2. So I go to look at the lineup for ESPN to see what they are showing instead - Sportscenter and I'm guessing they are replays of earlier Sportscenter shows too. I find this kind of annoying but nothing I can do about it. I guess it's good I found out tonight so I could make sure it is recording properly for me.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
So it had been advertised the championship game of the Battle 4 Atlantis would be on ESPN. Tonight Marquette put out on social media it is now on ESPN2. So I go to look at the lineup for ESPN to see what they are showing instead - Sportscenter and I'm guessing they are replays of earlier Sportscenter shows too. I find this kind of annoying but nothing I can do about it. I guess it's good I found out tonight so I could make sure it is recording properly for me.

Just to confuse you even more, the Tenn-Gonzaga 3rd place game at 2:30pm is on ESPNU.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/21/22 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So-who wins BE POW?

Fudd(2-0) - averaged 32 & 2 assists with two wins against Teams in the top-10(as of when they played). 56% FG, 48% 3PT FG, 100% FT

Siegrist(2-0) - averaged 31 & 13.5 in wins over Penn & Temple

Morrow(1-1) - averaged an eye popping 38.5 & 11. They beat Miami but lost to Cleveland State. Morrow AVERAGED 38.5ppg. HAHAHA!

I wanted to include a Marquette player considering they had the two best upset wins in the conference this week, but Jordan King just doesn't have the stats as gaudy as the 3 above them. She might just win Battle 4 Atlantis MVP though, if the Golden Eagles win this. In addition, Creighton had two great wins, including a thumping of Nebraska, but also didn't have a player with stats to compete with the above 3.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/21/22 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Just to confuse you even more, the Tenn-Gonzaga 3rd place game at 2:30pm is on ESPNU.

They advertised originally the whole tourney would be on Flohoops with the exception of the championship game on espn and the 3rd place game on espnu. I’m wondering now if it was going to be espn2 all along and the tournament advertised it wrong. I guess it doesn’t matter as it’s still on TV.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 11/21/22 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pleasantly surprised to see Xavier at 4-0. The wins are not against anyone projected to have a good season, but they have won all of their games by double digits, which hasn't happened in a long long time. I am curious to see if they can be remotely competitive against Creighton on Friday, but it seems the program (picked last in the league) is finally, maybe, starting to make a little bit of progress.

Also super weird to see Nia Clark (Marquette) and Kae Satterfield (Seton Hall) from last year's team playing for other Big East teams now. Seems like that will be awkward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: