RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Really?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 02/09/23 3:07 pm    ::: Really? Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35610878/dawn-staley-defends-gamecocks-geno-auriemma-critical-comments

I hadn't seen anything on this "feud" til today, but it's at least good for a bump in P.R. Gotta say, Dawn's got the higher ground here....Geno's being a schmuck, if he actually believes this.

PostPosted: 02/09/23 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno claims he was talking about officiating in general, not South Carolina's team. I tend to agree with you that he's just being a jerk

PostPosted: 02/09/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Philly gonna Philly.

PostPosted: 02/09/23 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

Affirmative. Now just need Muffet to comment and all the CHEESEsteaks will be represented.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/10/23 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What in hell is wrong with Geno lately, he acts like he sat on a cactus or something!

PostPosted: 02/10/23 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
What in hell is wrong with Geno lately, he acts like he sat on a cactus or something!

Lately??

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 02/10/23 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

Affirmative. Now just need Muffet to comment and all the CHEESEsteaks will be represented.

Don't forget Jim Foster and Harry Perretta - if ya want all the Philly icons, short of Rocky.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

Since when does "Philly" mean grumpy whining?

~rAf
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 02/10/23 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took Geno's comments to be about how the game was officiated than the way SC played or SC's players. I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on it, specifically. I did have a good laugh at a comment on Facebook that said officiating didn't have an effect on how a game was played. Officials constantly send messages to the teams about what they are going to allow or not allow and that affects how the teams play.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/23 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's been saying the same thing since forever. He wants to be able to run his finesse offense without the defenders disrupting it and the refs don't always let him.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

I mean, bold of you to assume I was *just* talking about Geno there.

PostPosted: 02/10/23 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

Living just a bit west of Philly, I've often heard The City of Brotherly Love has long held a rep as a source of Nasty Fans in Major League sports. This I haven't experienced myself: you could not pay me enough to attend a 76ers, Eagles, or Phillies game.

While I don't see that kind of crustiness in Muffet, I can see it in the others mentioned. And of course, that list represents a LOTTA success in their chosen fields, crustiness be damned. Cool

PostPosted: 02/10/23 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

Living just a bit west of Philly, I've often heard The City of Brotherly Love has long held a rep as a source of Nasty Fans in Major League sports. This I haven't experienced myself: you could not pay me enough to attend a 76ers, Eagles, or Phillies game.

While I don't see that kind of crustiness in Muffet, I can see it in the others mentioned. And of course, that list represents a LOTTA success in their chosen fields, crustiness be damned. Cool

Are the Flyers included in that list too? Or does "nasty fan" just 'go' with hockey?? Laughing Laughing

I'm joking. I actually love hockey. Had season tickets to the Fort Wayne Komets for years when I lived closer!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/10/23 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Geno claims he was talking about officiating in general, not South Carolina's team. I tend to agree with you that he's just being a jerk

Geno was making the same complaint 20 years ago when Taurasi played for him. And it was a white coach for Tenn. He also made the same complaint after a couple of BE games prior to the SCar game. White coaches then too.

Whether or not his complaint has merit, it is not a racial issue and Staley is out of bounds to try and play the minority victim card.

Both coaches are playing a PR game. What makes it sad is that the NCAA reacts to bad publicity a lot faster than a reasonable argument.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/23 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Philly gonna Philly.

I mean, bold of you to assume I was *just* talking about Geno there.

Pretty sure both coaches were doing grumpy whining

PostPosted: 02/11/23 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dawn has been playing victim and its working... so far.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/11/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Geno was making the same complaint 20 years ago when Taurasi played for him. And it was a white coach for Tenn. He also made the same complaint after a couple of BE games prior to the SCar game. White coaches then too.

Whether or not his complaint has merit, it is not a racial issue and Staley is out of bounds to try and play the minority victim card.

Both coaches are playing a PR game. What makes it sad is that the NCAA reacts to bad publicity a lot faster than a reasonable argument.

Staley didn't say or imply that race had anything to do with it so I think your comment is out of bounds. Geno was quoted as saying "it's not basketball." Yes, people can decide whether they think Geno's complaint about the refs has merit but Staley has a point here because implying that what her players are doing is not basketball is insulting her and her players whether Geno meant the insult directly or not.

Last edited by PG4ever on 02/12/23 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 02/11/23 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Staley didn't say or imply that race had anything to do with it so I think you're comment is out of bounds. Geno was quoted as saying "it's not basketball." Yes, people can decide whether they think Geno's complaints about the refs has merit but Staley has a point here because implying that what her players are doing is not basketball is insulting her and her players whether Geno meant the insult directly or not.

Totally correct.

I purposely re-watched (most of) the game last night to review the caliber of play, and his opinions are just not supported, imo. The PFs in the box score certainly don't tell that story, either....and it was his home floor.

PostPosted: 02/11/23 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
linkster wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Staley didn't say or imply that race had anything to do with it so I think you're comment is out of bounds. Geno was quoted as saying "it's not basketball." Yes, people can decide whether they think Geno's complaints about the refs has merit but Staley has a point here because implying that what her players are doing is not basketball is insulting her and her players whether Geno meant the insult directly or not.

Thank you for pointing out what was obvious to me. A majority of players are Black and comments accusing opposing team of playing "too rough" is interpreted by way too many people in this race based country as being "obviously race based thuggery." If you don't "get" that, you might to open your world up as according to virtually every opinion poll, the word "thug" equates to "Black person." And despite our country's clear history of white people committing violent acts against Black people, a majority of white people continue to think it's Black people who are the violent thugs and this (incorrect) stereotype leaks over into sports. Geno "might" have been saying the same thing after playing against white coaches, but most teams are comprised of a majority Black players.

Basically, this is a coach who has been extremely successful coaching "finesse" play and rarely playing players outside a 6-7 player rotation. Both of these coaching choices are coming back to bit him right now and he doesn't like it one bit. So he whines. And whines. THREE GREAT BIG CHEERS FOR DAWN FOR SAYING SHE'S SICK OF IT.

What goes up must come down, be it bullets shot in the air or a program on a great multi decade run.

~rAf
PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/12/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please forgive typos in my post above. Though I am able to correct them in my original post, unfortunately they remain for all posterity in the posts of those who replied to my post. Just had to say that Laughing

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/12/23 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auriemma doesn't like rough ball. Okay. Remind me again, which team once had a player whose nickname was "Bam Bam?"

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/13/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOLOLOL!!!!!

If this was ANY OTHER coach, this reaction would be so much different.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/13/23 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
LOLOLOL!!!!!

It is so much different, especially for Connecticut fans. They lambasted Staley MORE than Luigi has taken heat, for just complaining about Nike basketballs the last time they played at CT. Dawn didn't trash the CT team, coaches, or players. But CT fans are blind to the comparison.

If Luigi is going to complain about how physical South Carolina plays, then he needs to have his own team stop rampantly fouling South Carolina: over the past 5 games between both teams, CT has fouled USC more than USC has fouled CT in 4 of them. Two (2) of those games they doubled up the Gamecocks in fouls....

And that's not basketball anymore. It just isn't basketball...... Cool

wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/14/23 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
LOLOLOL!!!!!

It is so much different, especially for Connecticut fans. They lambasted Staley MORE than Luigi has taken heat, for just complaining about Nike basketballs the last time they played at CT. Dawn didn't trash the CT team, coaches, or players. But CT fans are blind to the comparison.

If Luigi is going to complain about how physical South Carolina plays, then he needs to have his own team stop rampantly fouling South Carolina: over the past 5 games between both teams, CT has fouled USC more than USC has fouled CT in 4 of them. Two (2) of those games they doubled up the Gamecocks in fouls....

Luigi🤣......my son calls him the 'leg sweep guy' from Karate Kid (aka sensei Kreese)

PostPosted: 02/14/23 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
LOLOLOL!!!!!

And if you didn't understand what I said, you can read it again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: