RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 Player Awards Talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/15/23 12:51 pm    ::: 2023 Player Awards Talk Reply Reply with quote

Season is far from over but I was thinking about AA teams today. Just throwing this out there for discussion!

G: Clark, Iowa
G: Miles, Notre Dame
F: Siegrist, Villanova
F: Boston, South Carolina
C: Holmes, Indiana

G: Latson, Florida State
G: Miller, Maryland
F: Pili, Utah
F: Brink, Stanford
C: Reese, LSU

G: Hofschild, Colorado State
G: Lopez Senechal, UConn
F: Jones, Stanford
F: Edwards, UConn
C: Kitley, Virginia Tech

I personally made an effort to adhere to these criteria:
--Maintain integrity regarding positionality (difficult)
--Require top 15ish team success (obvious exception being Hofschild for her ridiculous numbers)
--Spread awards among those teams, doubling up only in the case of a few top 5 teams (bluebloods gonna blueblood)
--Balance the P6 conferences (sorry Big 12 but it's been a weird year for y'all)

After 1st team, guards were the hardest to choose for me. Some "What if?" guards include:
Fudd (would usurp Lopez Senechal)
Sheldon
Harmon

PostPosted: 02/15/23 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I struggle with the format of the teams, as I agree that we should try to keep it consistent with having two guards. With that being said, I do wonder if it's worth considering putting Alyssa Pili on the first team over Olivia Miles considering the year that Utah is having. It's also worth noting that Haley Jones would be considered a guard for the purposes of this award if you're paying attention to positions. I also muse what to do with Aneesah Morrow. She's putting up decent numbers, but DePaul has simply been terrible this year. I threw in a HM for the players who I think deserve a mention but won't because they are not a P-5 Team.

POY: Clark Iowa
F: Siegrist, Villanova
F: Boston, South Carolina
C: Holmes, Indiana
F: Alyssa Pili, Utah

G: Latson, Florida State
G: Miles, Notre Dame
F: Brink, Stanford
C: Reese, Florida State
G: Miller, Maryland

G: Leigha Brown, Michigan
F: Edwards, UConn
C: Kitley, Virginia Tech
G: Keishana Washington, Drexel
G: Haley Jones, Stanford

HM: Paige Robinson, Illinois State, McKenna Hofschild, CSU, Beyonce Bea, Idaho, Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, Kahlaijah Dean, Sacramento State, Destiny Leo, Cleveland State, Jhessyka Williams, GWU, Katelyn Young, Murray State, Dulcy Fankam-Mendjiadeu, USF, Desi-Rae Young, UNLV, Sam Breen, UMASS.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/15/23 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I struggle with the format of the teams, as I agree that we should try to keep it consistent with having two guards.[...] It's also worth noting that Haley Jones would be considered a guard for the purposes of this award if you're paying attention to positions.

I don't blame you if you put Jones as a G, but I don't think it's inaccurate to consider her an F. She primarily plays the 3 in Stanford's starting lineup which traditionally is considered a forward ("small forward") even if in most modern offenses the position has more in common with the 1/2 than with the 4/5. If she had an outside shot I'd be more willing consider her as a G.

Miller of Maryland is another one of those G/F tweeners who I didn't know where to put. She handles the ball a lot but is the tallest player in MD's rotation this year so... Laughing

Coyotes wrote:
I also muse what to do with Aneesah Morrow. She's putting up decent numbers, but DePaul has simply been terrible this year. I threw in a HM for the players who I think deserve a mention but won't because they are not a P-5 Team.

Morrow gets a thumbs down from me. DePaul may be higher in NET than Colorado State (just by 10 spots...) but with a record of 13-13 and some baaaaaad losses I didn't even consider her. Plus I already had 3 Big East Players. A similar player, Ashley Joens, would be higher on my list.

Coyotes wrote:
I threw in a HM for the players who I think deserve a mention but won't because they are not a P-5 Team.

I see someone is verrrry partial to their past and present fantasy players. Razz

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: