RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Raphael Warnock and the WNBA players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/09/22 12:22 pm    ::: Raphael Warnock and the WNBA players Reply Reply with quote

I'm posting this simply because of the WNBA connection. I'm not looking to start a partisan political battle here and will try to stick to current facts. It will be obvious below that nothing I'm posting is definitive, so updates will surely be relevant.

Rev. Raphael Warnock, the incumbent Demoratic senator from Georgia, was elected in 2020 in part because of very strong support from the WNBA Players Association. Right now he is in a very tight electoral battle with the Republican candidate, Herschel Walker. As I'm writing, the New York Times is reporting that 95% of ballots have been counted and Warnock leads to 49.41% while Walker has 48.52% and a third candidate has about two percent. Warnock's current lead is slightly less than 35,000 votes. The ballots yet to be counted include absentee ballots, provisional ballots, and late mail ballots.

Warnock actually faces a likely double challenge. He has to end up with more votes than Walker, but unless he finishes with 50% of the vote--which the Times views as unlikely but possible--the two candidates will have a runoff election on December 6th similar to Georgia's 2020 runoffs.

In 2020, Georgia's runoff elections for its two U.S. Senate seats decided which party would control the Senate. Depending on the final results of a few Senate races that remain up in the air, a possible Warnock/Walker runoff on December 6th could decide which party will control the Senate in 2023.

It will be very interesting to see if the WNBA Players Association--and/or individual WNBA players--get involved if there's another runoff.

PostPosted: 11/09/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CNN has projected that seante race will go to a runoff on Dec. 6

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/09/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
CNN has projected that seante race will go to a runoff on Dec. 6

And it will likely be the deciding seat on who gets control of the Senate.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/09/22 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A runoff favors Warnock

PostPosted: 11/09/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A runoff favors Warnock

Will that smattering of third-party votes go “well, I'd rather not be represented by a complete goddamn moron” and reluctantly vote for Warnock, or just stay home and be a non-factor?

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 11/09/22 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
A runoff favors Warnock

Will that smattering of third-party votes go “well, I'd rather not be represented by a complete goddamn moron” and reluctantly vote for Warnock, or just stay home and be a non-factor?

One or the other for the most part. They broke heavily for both Democrats in 2020.

PostPosted: 11/10/22 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm remembering correctly, the W's involvement had more to do with then Dream co-owner Loeffler than it did Warnock; hence, I wouldn't expect league-level involvement. I just hope folks aren't distracted by the nonsense and overcome the busy-ness of the season and propensity for apathy and go VOTE...again!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/10/22 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
If I'm remembering correctly, the W's involvement had more to do with then Dream co-owner Loeffler than it did Warnock; hence, I wouldn't expect league-level involvement. I just hope folks aren't distracted by the nonsense and overcome the busy-ness of the season and propensity for apathy and go VOTE...again!

While being strongly against Loeffler, the WNBA players were VERY vocal supporters of Rev. Warnock. You can find lots of articles about that via Google. I have no idea whether they will get involved in the runoff ahead.

PostPosted: 11/10/22 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

While being strongly against Loeffler, the WNBA players were VERY vocal supporters of Rev. Warnock. You can find lots of articles about that via Google. I have no idea whether they will get involved in the runoff ahead.

Oh yes, I definitely saw (and appreciated) all of the support. The W truly demonstrated the power of the league and in being united and dove right into the political waters in support of Warnock. I was just saying a lot of it (at least initially) had to do with ousting Loeffler. The W has truly done a great job of galvanizing around important issues even when people didn't think they had the currency to make a difference.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/10/22 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Oh yes, I definitely saw (and appreciated) all of the support. The W truly demonstrated the power of the league and in being united and dove right into the political waters in support of Warnock. I was just saying a lot of it (at least initially) had to do with ousting Loeffler. The W has truly done a great job of galvanizing around important issues even when people didn't think they had the currency to make a difference.

I just looked again and found this Nov. 2020 article which suggests what I vaguely remembered. Yes, you're right: the WNBA players initially wanted to get rid of Loeffler, period. But Warnock initially wasn't the obvious candidate to beat her. The article says that there were 21 candidates in the race. I believe--I can't document this but the article seems to go along with my memory--that very early on the WNBA players decided to back Warnock and became extremely important in Warnock becoming the crucial alternative to Loeffler.

Perhaps someone else can address this better than I have through memory and/or searching around.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/wnba-election-2020-raphael-warnock-kelly-loeffler-support-224451441.html

PostPosted: 11/10/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warnock had already taken the lead among Democrats in the polls by the time the W players endorsed him. There were polls showing him in the runoff as early as April of 2020. They might have sped up his consolidation of the Democratic vote, but it looked to be him and one of the Republicans long before they wore his shirts. Ironically, they might have helped Loeffler get the other spot over Doug Collins more than they helped Warnock by giving her lots of free publicity and making her the go to interview for Fox News. There were polls in late October showing Collins ahead. At the time of the national TV game where the shirts debuted she was polling 5-10% behind Collins.

PostPosted: 12/07/22 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

welp, guess who won again 👀

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: