RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology: 2023 NCAA Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Howee wrote:
All valid points, but....his last line: "That key metric and the fact that the Pac-12 was the highest-rated league in the country carried the day for Stanford over UConn and Iowa" hasta be worth something, especially when the margins of decision are so very thin.

Serious question - why should the overall strength of the conference have ANY weight in the choice?

I dunno....isn't that part of why The Big Sky, the A-10, the Ivy League, etc., don't get more than one bid? I will not pretend to understand rationales executed behind closed doors, but....I really can't see why Stanford should be any LESS deserving of the #1 than UConn.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because playing in a stronger conference means fewer walkover cupcake games and more realistic opportunities to be upset.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you like this thread topic, you may like today's NY Times crossword puzzle.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Because playing in a stronger conference means fewer walkover cupcake games and more realistic opportunities to be upset.

Teams also play a non-conference schedule, and the committee evaluates both, combined, as a whole body of work (to my knowledge). Stanford played 3 Quad 4 games; UConn played 1. They both played 6 Quad 3 games. Stanford plays in a tougher conference, and Stanford played more walkover cupcake games.

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LOL at all the whining about how the strength of a team's conference matters from fans of a team in a weak conference.

LSU plays in a better conference than UConn. Should LSU be seeded ahead of UConn because they have a better record and play in a better conference? No, because UConn played a much more challenging schedule. It's the games that a team plays and how they do in those games that matters.

Howee wrote:
I dunno....isn't that part of why The Big Sky, the A-10, the Ivy League, etc., don't get more than one bid?

No teams in those leagues have the resumes to get in. Is that related to the conference in which they play? Of course. But it's not the whole story. You can play in a tough conference and play a cupcake schedule (LSU) or play in a better-than-average-but-not-top-tier conference and play among the hardest schedules in the country (UConn). It's the games that a team plays and how they do in those games that matters.

Howee wrote:
I will not pretend to understand rationales executed behind closed doors, but....I really can't see why Stanford should be any LESS deserving of the #1 than UConn.

As I've pointed out above, nearly all metrics related to NET (which the committee purportedly uses) give UConn a slight edge, which is also true of other metrics (RPI, ELO, Massey). What I fail to see, based on resumes, is why Stanford is *more* deserving of being a 1 seed than UConn.

I've alluded to this, but I'll say it blandly: UConn played like crap for the entirety of February (except against South Carolina), and I'm fine with that costing them a 1 seed. But let's call that for what it is and not pretend that UConn's resume isn't 1 seed worthy (which goes all the way back to Creme's quote about Stanford's resume winning the day, or whatever he said).

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I've alluded to this, but I'll say it blandly: UConn played like crap for the entirety of February (except against South Carolina), and I'm fine with that costing them a 1 seed. But let's call that for what it is and not pretend that UConn's resume isn't 1 seed worthy (which goes all the way back to Creme's quote about Stanford's resume winning the day, or whatever he said).

Shockingly, they struggled without their best player. She's now back, which makes them a better team than anyone who's not the undefeated #1.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shockingly, they (UConn) struggled without their best player. She's now back, which makes them a better team than anyone who's not the undefeated #1.

Wait, Paige is playing?! Laughing

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
I don't think Stanford is the weak link among #1 seeds. There's a reason nobody thinks Virginia Tech will make it to Dallas.

You mean you and some other UConn people don’t think so.

I would call, and have called, pilight many things, but a UConn person is... not what I would call an accurate depiction of him.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: