RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Naismith COY Semifinalists Announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/23 3:12 pm    ::: Naismith COY Semifinalists Announced Reply Reply with quote

https://naismithtrophy.com/2023-werner-ladder-naismith-womens-college-coach-of-the-year-semifinalists-announced/

Now I think I'll make some popcorn, sit back, and watch the diatribes unfold.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course they they usually give it to the big winner, but I would cast my vote for Kenny Brooks or Teri Moren, both of whom inherited teams that were miserable cellar dwellers when they got there and transformed them into winners and places young women want to play.

PostPosted: 03/09/23 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL Mulkey. LOL Tartamella. LOL Schafer. I’m not even sure if Ivey belongs on that list.

(If I want to get really spicy and get myself banned from ever crossing the borders of South Carolina or Iowa in my life... is meeting expectations with Boston or Clark worthy of a national COY award?)

Which I guess means I’ve picked my finalists, and if I have to go to five, I don’t have strong objections to Ivey, I just wouldn’t give her the award.

But yes, I do look forward to the spectacular fireworks from points northeast of me.

PostPosted: 03/09/23 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
LOL Mulkey. LOL Tartamella. LOL Schafer. I’m not even sure if Ivey belongs on that list.

(If I want to get really spicy and get myself banned from ever crossing the borders of South Carolina or Iowa in my life... is meeting expectations with Boston or Clark worthy of a national COY award?)

Which I guess means I’ve picked my finalists, and if I have to go to five, I don’t have strong objections to Ivey, I just wouldn’t give her the award.

But yes, I do look forward to the spectacular fireworks from points northeast of me.

Why wouldn't it be? As Summertime blues above stated so well, Dawn inherited a team that was a miserable cellar dweller, and transformed it into a winner and a placer where young women want to play at, including Boston. And today they are undefeated and charging towards a possible repeat national championship. That's a better resume than most the other candidates have.....

Cool

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/10/23 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe because it's a coach of the YEAR award? Not a lifetime achievement award, not a coach of the decade, not a "what did you do seven years ago in turning around the direction of your program" award.

And while I am not a Bluder fan at all - never have been - I think she actually well overachieved even considering she had the best player in the country. The supporting cast was far from superstar status, and while I expected them to do well, I didn't expect them to do as well as they did towards the end of the season. No, I don't advocate for or expect her to win, but she certainly exceeded her usual performance and she's not that far fetched. I am most surprised by Schaefer's name appearing among this group.

Maybe Mulkey deserves it for most creative scheduling. That's part of a coach's job too I guess. Wink

Oh and Northeast is only one of three or four likely fireworks launching locations that I can think of.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/23 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
is meeting expectations with Boston or Clark worthy of a national COY award?

The alternative is to say Dawn Staley isn't eligible for the award. What more could she have possibly done?

PostPosted: 03/10/23 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The alternative is to say Dawn Staley isn't eligible for the award. What more could she have possibly done?

I understand your point, but then just give it to the coach whose team wins the Tournament each year. After all, nobody did any more than that coach, right?

There must be more to it than that.

Maybe it's hard to be enthused for that choice when that particular team is the defending champ and was considered the prohibitive favorite to repeat since last May. Not trying to diminish the job that coach has done, but I guess it's reflected in the National Championship trophy.

There's a lot of ways to look at how these awards should be made.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/10/23 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I understand your point, but then just give it to the coach whose team wins the Tournament each year. After all, nobody did any more than that coach, right?

Maybe it's hard to be enthused for that choice when that particular team is the defending champ and was considered the prohibitive favorite to repeat since last May. Not trying to diminish the job that coach has done, but I guess it's reflected in the National Championship trophy.

For all your warning of diatribes coming from the northeast, the only ones I see are from you. UConn fans know this has not been one of Geno's best years (even though they blame it all on injuries).

I've got three COY on my list: Dawn Staley, Teri Moren and Kenny Brooks. Kenny deserves recognition for sitting his "star" transfer and ending up dominating the ACC. RE: Niele Ivey - ND fans will blame injury for lack of post season success. It's simply that Kenny Brooks has done a better job. The way he got his team back on track after Duke stifled them was masterful.

I really shouldn't have to defend a vote for Dawn Staley, but I will. Absolutely turning S.Carolina into a destination school for top players is part of being a great coach. But it's the fact that she figured out how to use all those great players to dominate Div.1 women's basketball makes her my top pick.

And Teri Moren is another no-brainer. She couldn't get her team past red hot Clarkiowa, but they dominated a tough league all season. Excellent coaching job.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/10/23 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

For all your warning of diatribes coming from the northeast, the only ones I see are from you. UConn fans know this has not been one of Geno's best years (even though they blame it all on injuries).

I've got three COY on my list: Dawn Staley, Teri Moren and Kenny Brooks. Kenny deserves recognition for sitting his "star" transfer and ending up dominating the ACC. RE: Niele Ivey - ND fans will blame injury for lack of post season success. It's simply that Kenny Brooks has done a better job. The way he got his team back on track after Duke stifled them was masterful.

I really shouldn't have to defend a vote for Dawn Staley, but I will. Absolutely turning S.Carolina into a destination school for top players is part of being a great coach. But it's the fact that she figured out how to use all those great players to dominate Div.1 women's basketball makes her my top pick.

And Teri Moren is another no-brainer. She couldn't get her team past red hot Clarkiowa, but they dominated a tough league all season. Excellent coaching job.

You don't "dominate" the ACC and end up the third seed. I know you're bitter about losing out to ND, but reality is that ND won the season championship - not Duke and not VT. Then ND lost its leading scorer and the best pg in the country and didn’t win the tournament. Stuff happens. But that doesn’t change what Ivey did in overcoming key injuries mid season and working with freshmen and sophomores to win the regular season. Tell me how Kenny had to suffer through with the returning senior POY.

Have you folded your campaign for Lawson? Here was another whole group of voters who disagreed with you.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I get that. There's a tendency to want to reward people for exceeding expectations. Staley didn't do that because she couldn't.

But they were prohibitive favorites because of Staley. She recruited the players and coached them up. She kept them happy enough to not transfer someplace they could get more minutes and put up more numbers to impress pro scouts. She's reduced her tendency to micromanage in-game situations.

I don't know that I would vote for Staley but the job she did shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

PostPosted: 03/10/23 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I get that. There's a tendency to want to reward people for exceeding expectations. Staley didn't do that because she couldn't.

But they were prohibitive favorites because of Staley. She recruited the players and coached them up. She kept them happy enough to not transfer someplace they could get more minutes and put up more numbers to impress pro scouts. She's reduced her tendency to micromanage in-game situations.

I don't know that I would vote for Staley but the job she did shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I hear what you say. This same issue was on the table every year as Geno dominated WCBB for a couple decades.

Didn't Staley win this last year? Wasn't her recruitment, retention and coaching of these same players acknowledged through that award? She still in it, she's not being dismissed. She might even win it again.

I think I'd probably vote for Moren.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd vore for Moren.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/10/23 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Maybe because it's a coach of the YEAR award? Not a lifetime achievement award, not a coach of the decade, not a "what did you do seven years ago in turning around the direction of your program" award.

And while I am not a Bluder fan at all - never have been - I think she actually well overachieved even considering she had the best player in the country. The supporting cast was far from superstar status, and while I expected them to do well, I didn't expect them to do as well as they did towards the end of the season. No, I don't advocate for or expect her to win, but she certainly exceeded her usual performance and she's not that far fetched. I am most surprised by Schaefer's name appearing among this group.

Maybe Mulkey deserves it for most creative scheduling. That's part of a coach's job too I guess. Wink

Oh and Northeast is only one of three or four likely fireworks launching locations that I can think of.

Agree 100%

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/12/23 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

To be fair to Ivey, ND did have a losing record before she took over and she currently doesn't have a single player on her roster who played for McGraw (Westbeld and Marshall both committed to McGraw, but when they arrived, Ivey was coach).

ND was picked to finish #4 and ended up winning the regular season conference championship, so there's that, too.

I'm not saying Ivey should win it, but she should be included in the group being considered for it. I wouldn't object to Brooks winning it. I remember back in his first season at Tech that I predicted that he was going to do great things there.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/12/23 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10 Finalists seems like a lot. I can't bring myself to care much over how is the 10th or 11th best coach this year.

Moren should win this in a walk.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/23 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 10 are the semifinalists

PostPosted: 03/12/23 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The 10 are the semifinalists

My point is still the same.

greg5222

PostPosted: 03/12/23 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley. DUH!!!

PostPosted: 03/12/23 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To be fair to Ivey, ND did have a losing record before she took over and she currently doesn't have a single player on her roster who played for McGraw (Westbeld and Marshall both committed to McGraw, but when they arrived, Ivey was coach).

ND was picked to finish #4 and ended up winning the regular season conference championship, so there's that, too.

I'm not saying Ivey should win it, but she should be included in the group being considered for it. I wouldn't object to Brooks winning it. I remember back in his first season at Tech that I predicted that he was going to do great things there.

LOL. ONE losing season within two decades of winning. Point is Ivey got to continue a winning culture, while coaches like Lawson and Brooks had to create that culture out of thin air. It's funny how ND fans are now DOWN playing McGraw's sustained success in order to promote Ivey. Pretty laughable, really.

Frankly, I love Ivey's success as I love competition. You know your program has had sustained success when other teams define their own success by beating you.

~rAf
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/13/23 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only have one thing to say about this:

How is Shauna Green, who took illinois from one Big 10 conference win in 2022 to an 11 seed in the NCAAT in 2023 not a semifinalist for COY?

I guess I have two things:

How is Vic even remotely near this list?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

LOL. ONE losing season within two decades of winning. Point is Ivey got to continue a winning culture

Hmmm. Duke hasn't had even a single losing season since 1993. That's THIRTY YEARS in a row.

Guess that rules Lawson out.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/13/23 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

LOL. ONE losing season within two decades of winning. Point is Ivey got to continue a winning culture

Hmmm. Duke hasn't had even a single losing season since 1993. That's THIRTY YEARS in a row.

Guess that rules Lawson out.

Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: