RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2023
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/18/22 5:35 pm    ::: Las Vegas Aces 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Here come the Champs! Cool

They've been a superteam for a few years now, but this season they finally put it all together.

Run it back!
Exclamation

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/18/22 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ci2pM-PQyj8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> Razz

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/19/22 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34600503/las-vegas-aces-becky-hammon-silences-doubters-becomes-first-rookie-coach-win-wnba-title

Fantastic article about Coach Hammon.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas doesn't have to do very much

and they can't

in 23 they have 9 player under contract

5 guaranteed
Gray, Wilson, Plum, Hamby and Young

4 others
R. Williams 149k
Shepard
Bell
and
Rupert
all on 60somethingk contracts

they have no first or second round picks in 23

and 138k of cap space

just enough for 1 vet minimum and one minimum/minimum contract

ideally they get Stokes to sign for vet minimum

and bring in one minimum contract and they are still the team to beat

they can also replace Bell, Sheppard or Rupert with equally cheap player but probably don't have to the listed player already know the system and have glimpses of potential coming off their first years

the only problem is
If Stokes gets better offers somewhere else Vegas may have to decide
between Stokes and Williams (who has an un-guaranteed contract
both played important minutes in the finals it is clearly an instant offense off the bench vs additional post defense argument
Do you cut Willaims to pay Stokes if Stokes gets offers higher than vet minimum elsewhere? hard choice
hopefully they can avoid it but
Stokes made 115k this season would she accept 75k next season?
Is there a vet minimum post out there who can do the job if Stokes leaves?
Could you cut Williams and find a instant offense replacement at vet minimum?
Or Could you cut Williams at 149k bring her back at 120k and give Stokes 115K? that also seems like it could create awkward feeling but it is another way to go technically.

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/20/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

and they can't

5 guaranteed

4 others
R. Williams 149k
Shepard
Bell
and
Rupert

They will try and figure out a way to keep both. However, due to both of them playing so well, they will definately get offers from other teams which may put Vegas out of the running for resigning either of them.
They still may upgrade their bench too by looking to see which veteran players get cut due to the salary cap or teams wanting to go younger.

I like Rupert. Even though she is only 19 or 20, she can develop into a good stretch 4 in the future.

and 138k of cap space

they can also replace Bell, Sheppard or Rupert with equally cheap player but probably don't have to the listed player already know the system and have glimpses of potential coming off their first years

the only problem is
both played important minutes in the finals it is clearly an instant offense off the bench vs additional post defense argument
Do you cut Willaims to pay Stokes if Stokes gets offers higher than vet minimum elsewhere? hard choice
Or Could you cut Williams at 149k bring her back at 120k and give Stokes 115K? that also seems like it could create awkward feeling but it is another way to go technically.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounded like Hamby announced she was pregnant again at the parade

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/1572407472643776513

PostPosted: 09/20/22 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

and they can't

5 guaranteed

4 others
R. Williams 149k
Shepard
Bell
and
Rupert

and 138k of cap space

the only problem is

Elizabeth Williams is not quite vet minimum...but close to it. Great defender plus more offense than Stokes (which isn't hard to do).

~rAf
willtalk

PostPosted: 09/21/22 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes wasn't in the lineup for her offense. What they needed her for was to match up against and defend taller players like J. Jones. EW is 6'3" and frankly watching her in the WNBA her defense is vastly over rated. Stokes fits the Aces needs. A long defender to match up against taller centers which also free's up Wilson to roam on offense. EW's game would interfer with Wilsons in the paint. A healthy Hamby fits better into the Aces offensively. I liked Hammonds move of putting Stokes into the starting lineup.

I susspect you are seeing this through blue colored lenses.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
EW is 6'3" and frankly watching her in the WNBA her defense is vastly over rated.

X____________________

I saw six seasons of Williams up close and personal. She's fine as a help defender against driving guards but gets destroyed regularly by big post players.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Stokes wasn't in the lineup for her offense. What they needed her for was to match up against and defend taller players like J. Jones. EW is 6'3" and frankly watching her in the WNBA her defense is vastly over rated. Stokes fits the Aces needs. A long defender to match up against taller centers which also free's up Wilson to roam on offense. EW's game would interfer with Wilsons in the paint. A healthy Hamby fits better into the Aces offensively. I liked Hammonds move of putting Stokes into the starting lineup.

I susspect you are seeing this through blue colored lenses.

Not. At. All. I just got to see Elizabeth playing with the Mystics. She lost the starting center job to Shakira Austin fair and square. I do not count the years Elizabeth played for the dysfunctional Atlanta Dream - only this past season playing for a real WNBA coach. I agree that Elizabeth can not do some of what Kiah did on defense due to her lesser height. On offense, Elizabeth would certainly stay out of A'ja's way and primarily be a screen setter, the same way Kiah has done, but can score more points off broken plays. By "more" points, I mean 3-4 pts/game more than Kiah as clearly Elizabeth is not a major scorer in the WNBA. She simply has a stronger mid range shot than Kiah does. Her free throws have always been below average.

I only posted Elizabeth as an alternative if the Aces cannot afford Kiah + Riquna. I think having EWill plus Riquna is stronger than Kiah without Riquna. Elizabeth accepted $90K with the Mystics and this season solidified her lesser role in the league so she should accept less than $90K.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 09/21/22 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what the market value for Stokes is. On one hand she's the starting center for the WNBA champs. On the other she's a soon to be 30 year old who's a complete cipher on offense. Most teams don't have the personnel to use her like the Aces did.

I agree with RAF about Atlanta's dysfunction. That's why they stuck with Williams as a starter for six seasons. T-Bone immediately recognized she wasn't starter material and made moves to upgrade in the post.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't know what the market value for Stokes is. On one hand she's the starting center for the WNBA champs. On the other she's a soon to be 30 year old who's a complete cipher on offense. Most teams don't have the personnel to use her like the Aces did.

I agree with RAF about Atlanta's dysfunction. That's why they stuck with Williams as a starter for six seasons. T-Bone immediately recognized she wasn't starter material and made moves to upgrade in the post.

I agree with all of the above. EWill was an upgrade over what the Mystics had in the post, which was nobody. Shakira was picked to compete with Elizabeth but the Mystics lucked out and she far exceeded expectations. I wish to add, though, that playing alongside two time MVP A'ja leads to needing something different out of a center. We can all see what happened when Breanna lost the center that complemented her in Mercedes Russell and got "no defense" Charles in her place. Elizabeth has always been a "defense first" player and has always scored more than Kiah in the WNBA.

PS: Glad we agree about Atlanta's dysfunction. The only team I would even consider Elizabeth a starter on is Las Vegas. That extends back through her entire WNBA career.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/21/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unlike some I will not name, I base my WNBA player opinions based on what they do in the pro game only. I might have personal feelings based on a player playing for Duke in college, but if they don't measure up on the pro floor, I do not promote them beyond their demonstrated pro capabilities.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/21/22 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I only posted Elizabeth as an alternative if the Aces cannot afford Kiah + Riquna. I think having EWill plus Riquna is stronger than Kiah without Riquna. Elizabeth accepted $90K with the Mystics and this season solidified her lesser role in the league so she should accept less than $90K.

I think this is correct. I guess the other alternative is to find a cheaper than Riquna shooting guard with a 3-pt shot which would allow you to keep Kiah, if you're sold on her. I suspect someone will offer Kiah way too much money and she will move on anyway.

Last edited by myrtle on 09/21/22 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
willtalk

PostPosted: 09/21/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No offense was meant. It is certainly natural to take more of an interest in players we have been fortunate to have followed longer. I, myself, have had bias with players I was more familiar with both through their college or professional careers. Bias does not need to be limited to a players abilities, but might also refer to their familiarity. My comment about flue tinted glasses was in that context. Ironically, my blue tinted glasses kept me more aware of what EW was doing as a pro and that was what made me believe that she was not a good fit for what LV needed.

I am often more critical with players that I am more familiar with in order to maintain objectivity to compensate for that familiarity. That is why I felt that Gray not being named an All Star this year was not a snub under the circumstances.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PS: Glad we agree about Atlanta's dysfunction. The only team I would even consider Elizabeth a starter on is Las Vegas. That extends back through her entire WNBA career.

Angel McCoughtry was able to paper over a lot of that, similar to what Catchings did as a player in Indiana

PostPosted: 01/21/23 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Las Vegas Aces General Manager Natalie Williams announced today that the team has acquired 6-5 center Amanda Zahui B. from the Los Angeles Sparks in exchange for Dearica Hamby. In addition, the Aces’ receive Los Angeles’ second round pick in the 2024 WNBA Draft, and the Sparks receive Las Vegas’ first round pick in 2024.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-acquire-6-5-center-amanda-zahui-b-from-los-angeles-in-exchange-for-dearica-hamby/

PostPosted: 01/25/23 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can Vegas pull this off financially?

Gray/Sheppard
Plum/R. Williams
Young/Bell
Wilson/Rupert
Stokes/Zahui B

and a minimum (or vet minimum)?

I believe the last 3 spots they have about 305K

if they do 75 for a vet minimum (maybe Colson or Plaisance or someone new)

they have about 230K left for Stokes and Zahui B that is 115 a piece (or some variable like 125 for one and 105 for the other)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/25/23 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Gray/Sheppard
Plum/R. Williams
Young/Bell
Wilson/Rupert
Stokes/Zahui B

they have about 230K left for Stokes and Zahui B that is 115 a piece (or some variable like 125 for one and 105 for the other)

Like Syd Colson they carried last season?

~rAf
scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/26/23 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Gray/Sheppard
Plum/R. Williams
Young/Bell
Wilson/Rupert
Stokes/Zahui B

Are your figures taking into account the fact that the players voted to take less monies this season, allegedly to keep the championship team together?

PostPosted: 01/26/23 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used the numbers on the herhoops cap sheet

Shades

PostPosted: 01/26/23 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed one of the press releases described the Aces as having the negotiating rights to Zahui. Any chance they negotiate her to the Lynx for say the 12th pick? Too much for her? I haven’t checked how she’s doing overseas so maybe I’ll retract this idea later.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/27/23 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What’s Tina Charles doing? Razz

She took less money to be on a championship team last year, twice.. Maybe waiting to see what Stewart decides? Idea

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/27/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
What’s Tina Charles doing? Razz

She took less money to be on a championship team last year, twice.. Maybe waiting to see what Stewart decides? Idea

The last I heard, she was in-town for several days attending practices at the SMU Women's facility then a day later she was at the Mavericks game. I found out later during her stay she met with the Wings front office...been quiet every since😒

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/28/23 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace signed with the Aces

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: