RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/23 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis probably paid off the alleged victim to stop cooperating so that Williams could come back

PostPosted: 09/08/23 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Davis probably paid off the alleged victim to stop cooperating so that Williams could come back

That's quite the accusation with no evidence.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/08/23 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even without all the legal stuff, I don't know why the Aces would want to take on a player, even if she played with them previously, who hasn't played with them or anyone all season, especially right at the playoffs. It could mess up chemistry and rotation and all that. Then with the legal stuff, the optics are just not good, to say the least.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/08/23 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Wouldn't doubt it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/08/23 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

pilight thought carrot and I thought stick, but I'm not surprised we got to the same place in the end. We're talking about an owner who's already been accused of paying people under the table once for a competitive advantage. We're also talking about the son of Al Davis, and paying off a DV victim to get a key reserve back would extremely fall under the definition of The Raiders Way.

PostPosted: 10/04/23 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dearica Hamby files discrimination lawsuit against Aces

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38565736/dearica-hamby-files-discrimination-lawsuit-aces

Quote:
Per the lawsuit obtained by ESPN and filed last month, Hamby -- who now plays for the Los Angeles Sparks -- alleges in the legal filing to the Nevada Equal Rights Commission and the EEOC that Aces head coach Becky Hammon accused her of signing a two-year extension with the team last year despite knowing she was pregnant. She also alleges that the team "began to retaliate against me and caused the work environment to become unreasonably abusive and hostile" and also encouraged her to avoid getting pregnant "in the next two years."

PostPosted: 10/04/23 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

pilight thought carrot and I thought stick, but I'm not surprised we got to the same place in the end. We're talking about an owner who's already been accused of paying people under the table once for a competitive advantage. We're also talking about the son of Al Davis, and paying off a DV victim to get a key reserve back would extremely fall under the definition of The Raiders Way.

Williams just isn’t that valuable for the owner of the team to care enough. Absurd notion. DV victims often refuse to cooperate.

canadaball

PostPosted: 10/06/23 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the eve of the much anticipated Aces-NY Finals, Hamby's lawsuit this week dredges up the whole issue of LV "impermissible benefits". We do know that the league found LV guilty of providing Hamby with some form of illegal payments (never explained). We also know that almost every important player on the Ace's roster is playing for tens of thousands less than their market value (never ever discussed in W media). My favorite examples are Stokes @ $80k (barely above the minimum), and 6th WOY Clark who took a massive ($50k) pay cut to play in Sin City.
I certainly can understand why the league and teams want to bury this negative publicity issue, but what I find most disgusting is the abject failure of any media covering the WNBA to explore this subject. No one has ever asked about the nature of Hamby's "impermissible benefits". In response to Hamby's suit, a W spokesperson said: “The league conducted a thorough investigation of the allegations and levied appropriate discipline based on its findings,”. Now, slipping thru the cracks. here is a Wash Post article on lawsuit; https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/04/dearica-hamby-aces-pregnancy-becky-hammon/ Included is the following: "Hamby alleges the league did not thoroughly investigate her allegations, failing to interview any current Aces players or to provide any “remedy” to Hamby after finding that the Aces had violated league rules." How can the league use "thorough" to describe an investigation that never even talked to other LV players? Pretty tough to discover under the table payments if you don't question the players (the old "see no evil, hear no evil"). I strongly suspect that a "remedy" is being sought b/c when Hamby was traded to LA, she lost the LV backdoor $ that allowed her in 2002 as free agent, to sign, like so many of her teammates, a new contract way below market value. There were several other media articles this week on Hamby's suit including ESPN and AP, but this article is only one that even mentioned the allegation that not one other Ace's player was ever questioned. I would note that long time AP writer Doug Feinberg even had another Wash Post article which fails to mention Hamby's accusation that other players were never questioned.
I do credit writer Cindy Boren, but it looks to me that, unlike major sports where reporters would be racing to uncover the real story, the cheerleading W media is in the tank.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 10/08/23 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
On the eve of the much anticipated Aces-NY Finals, Hamby's lawsuit this week dredges up the whole issue of LV "impermissible benefits". We do know that the league found LV guilty of providing Hamby with some form of illegal payments (never explained). We also know that almost every important player on the Ace's roster is playing for tens of thousands less than their market value (never ever discussed in W media). My favorite examples are Stokes @ $80k (barely above the minimum), and 6th WOY Clark who took a massive ($50k) pay cut to play in Sin City.
I certainly can understand why the league and teams want to bury this negative publicity issue, but what I find most disgusting is the abject failure of any media covering the WNBA to explore this subject. No one has ever asked about the nature of Hamby's "impermissible benefits". In response to Hamby's suit, a W spokesperson said: “The league conducted a thorough investigation of the allegations and levied appropriate discipline based on its findings,”. Now, slipping thru the cracks. here is a Wash Post article on lawsuit; https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/04/dearica-hamby-aces-pregnancy-becky-hammon/ Included is the following: "Hamby alleges the league did not thoroughly investigate her allegations, failing to interview any current Aces players or to provide any “remedy” to Hamby after finding that the Aces had violated league rules." How can the league use "thorough" to describe an investigation that never even talked to other LV players? Pretty tough to discover under the table payments if you don't question the players (the old "see no evil, hear no evil"). I strongly suspect that a "remedy" is being sought b/c when Hamby was traded to LA, she lost the LV backdoor $ that allowed her in 2002 as free agent, to sign, like so many of her teammates, a new contract way below market value. There were several other media articles this week on Hamby's suit including ESPN and AP, but this article is only one that even mentioned the allegation that not one other Ace's player was ever questioned. I would note that long time AP writer Doug Feinberg even had another Wash Post article which fails to mention Hamby's accusation that other players were never questioned.
I do credit writer Cindy Boren, but it looks to me that, unlike major sports where reporters would be racing to uncover the real story, the cheerleading W media is in the tank.

The league is being short-sighted. I mean, I understand why it loves this "superteam" narrative - superteams play some pretty basketball. But, we will see what happens the next time a team is accused of offering a player impermissible benefits like the Aces had offered Hamby.

Even more disturbing than the impermissible benefits, to me, is Hamby feeling subjected to discrimination from her employer and how little the league cares. I know the league also loves Hammon and her background (probably apart from the bronze medal), so maybe I shouldn't feel as surprised.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/08/23 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said it before, and I'll continue to stand on this: New York is at least as dirty as Vegas, and the only reason why they haven't gotten caught is because they haven't reneged on any of their under-the-table deals yet.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/08/23 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll continue to stand on this: New York is at least as dirty as Vegas, and the only reason why they haven't gotten caught is because they haven't reneged on any of their under-the-table deals yet.

I want to know who spilled the tea about the chartered flights a few years ago. 😊

PostPosted: 10/08/23 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm going to choose to believe we're working in ways that are technically legal until I am presented with evidence otherwise. But I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand I don't think Sandy has a prurient interest in the lady bits of her former players so we still have *that* moral high ground

PostPosted: 10/08/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
On the other hand I don't think Sandy has a prurient interest in the lady bits of her former players so we still have *that* moral high ground

Touché.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: