RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mercury owner suspended by NBA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/13/22 12:24 pm    ::: Mercury owner suspended by NBA Reply Reply with quote

https://nypost.com/2022/09/13/robert-sarver-suspended-by-nba-for-racist-sexist-actions/

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/13/22 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/13/22 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, dang!

I wondered what happened with this.

Seems to be lots of documentation to back up the decision!

PostPosted: 09/13/22 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, the never ending saga of the Merc.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/13/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Report from 2021, last year...

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-nba-bracing-for-bombshell-story-about-robert-sarver/

PostPosted: 09/13/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, if Sarver is eventually banned from the NBA --- just like what happened to former L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling in 2014 --- who will take over the PHX Suns and the Mercury?

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
So, if Sarver is eventually banned from the NBA --- just like what happened to former L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling in 2014 --- who will take over the PHX Suns and the Mercury?

So, which one of the situations (BG, Saver, Taurasi and/or Nygaard) that had Skylar Diggins-Smith not returning to the court because of personal reasons?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

So, which one of the situations (BG, Saver, Taurasi and/or Nygaard) that had Skylar Diggins-Smith not returning to the court because of personal reasons?

All of the above plus Taurasi's mouth.

~rAf
jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can they put that $10 million fine towards WNBA expansion?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did his behavioral issues involve the Merc, or did it all happen in the Sun organization?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Did his behavioral issues involve the Merc, or did it all happen in the Sun organization?

I mean, he probably doesn't even know he owns the Mercury, tbh.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Can they put that $10 million fine towards WNBA expansion?

Sorry.

Quote:
Where does the fine money go?
The NBA will donate the money “to organizations that are committed to addressing race and gender-based issues in and outside the workplace.” The league did the same thing when Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was fined the same amount after an investigation into the Mavs' dysfunctional workplace culture.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2022/09/13/robert-sarver-phoenix-suns-mercury-owner-conduct-penalty-explained/10368844002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

All of the above plus Taurasi's mouth.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/13/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

It seems like in terms of players it was mostly aimed at DeAndre Ayton. And the sexism happened with women who worked in the office.

Obviously it could have been a lie, but DT and Skylar always spoke highly of him in terms of his treatment towards them and their families. But that might have been a push from Booker/Paul.

Sarver is only a plurality owner and the figure head. The rest of the ownership group could decide to remove him depending on how the players react. And given this isn’t the first time CP3 has been on a team owned by a racist I piece of shit, I doubt his reaction with be quiet.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It seems like in terms of players it was mostly aimed at DeAndre Ayton. And the sexism happened with women who worked in the office.

Obviously it could have been a lie, but DT and Skylar always spoke highly of him in terms of his treatment towards them and their families. But that might have been a push from Booker/Paul.

Sarver is only a plurality owner and the figure head. The rest of the ownership group could decide to remove him depending on how the players react. And given this isn’t the first time CP3 has been on a team owned by a racist I piece of shit, I doubt his reaction with be quiet.

Jeeze, on this WNBA board, can we please reserve CP3 for Candace? I got whiplash wondering when Candace sat quietly while working for a racist, sexist piece of shlt. Seriously, did the women on the team not know what the owner was doing? N-word? Seriously? Where was the leadership on this team? That's where the awesomeness of players like Nneka, Tasha and Elizabeth Williams seems glaring in its' absence here.

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/13/22 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Jeeze, on this WNBA board, can we please reserve CP3 for Candace? I got whiplash wondering when Candace sat quietly while working for a racist, sexist piece of shlt. Seriously, did the women on the team not know what the owner was doing? N-word? Seriously? Where was the leadership on this team? That's where the awesomeness of players like Nneka, Tasha and Elizabeth Williams seems glaring in its' absence here.

I watch both, and again..Chris Paul was called CP3 first. Why do women keep copying his nicknames. Sorry you struggled with the context clues.

From everything I’ve read, this was all done behind closed doors and around people in the office. They were who exposed him. This really isn’t shocking. Powerful people know how to get away with abuse.

It was leaked that he was calling DeAndre Ayton the n-word behind the scenes, he wasn’t abusing players to their faces/publicly.

Which would explain how the players probably didn’t know, because again..This isn’t the first time Chris Paul has dealt with this, and I doubt if he had known that he would have remained quiet.

But sure, blame DT and Skylar for the actions of this man.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I watch both, and again..Chris Paul was called CP3 first. Why do women keep copying his nicknames. Sorry you struggled with the context clues.

From everything I’ve read, this was all done behind closed doors and around people in the office. They were who exposed him. This really isn’t shocking. Powerful people know how to get away with abuse.

It was leaked that he was calling DeAndre Ayton the n-word behind the scenes, he wasn’t abusing players to their faces/publicly.

Which would explain how the players probably didn’t know, because again..This isn’t the first time Chris Paul has dealt with this, and I doubt if he had known that he would have remained quiet.

I don't think Candace calls herself CP3. She uses Ace for her branding. First time I heard someone refer to CP as that was Carolyn Peck in the 2008 SEC Championship game. It shouldn't matter...it's not that serious. Just funny how dudes get realllllly worked up on twitter.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I mean, he probably doesn't even know he owns the Mercury, tbh.

He sits courtside at Mercury games and is at some Mercury practices.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/14/22 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I don't think Candace calls herself CP3. She uses Ace for her branding. First time I heard someone refer to CP as that was Carolyn Peck in the 2008 SEC Championship game. It shouldn't matter...it's not that serious. Just funny how dudes get realllllly worked up on twitter.

In wbb circles, people began using CP3 for Candace without ever knowing a man was using that nickname. I remember hearing it mentioned on a wbb board some time ago, while fans use the CP3 shortcut for Candace all the time ON WBB BOARDS and it never refers to a male player.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/14/22 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

In wbb circles, people began using CP3 for Candace without ever knowing a man was using that nickname. I remember hearing it mentioned on a wbb board some time ago, while fans use the CP3 shortcut for Candace all the time ON WBB BOARDS and it never refers to a male player.

Agreed. I never associated CP3 with Chris Paul until the announcers during a Sky game said something about it a couple of weeks ago. I do remember it as being used for Courtney Paris, who played college ball at the same time as Parker.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/14/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It’s good that she uses something different exactly for that reason- branding.

And it isn’t that serious, but twice now I’ve been “corrected” by people on the board who use Chris Paul’s nicknames for a WNBA player….he literally had the nicknames first, go easy on the snark. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/14/22 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone’s public and private personas being two different entities is not a surprise.

You really think Skylar would’ve let it slide if she overheard Sarver saying the n-word? 🤣🤣

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/14/22 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Someone’s public and private personas being two different entities is not a surprise.

You really think Skylar would’ve let it slide if she overheard Sarver saying the n-word? 🤣🤣

Exactly.

I feel terrible for both teams, Silver let them down. And for Chris Paul to have to go through this again..it’s just awful.

PostPosted: 09/14/22 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It’s good that she uses something different exactly for that reason- branding.

And it isn’t that serious, but twice now I’ve been “corrected” by people on the board who use Chris Paul’s nicknames for a WNBA player….he literally had the nicknames first, go easy on the snark. Laughing

And, again, I barely follow men's basketball and heard CP3 used for Chris Paul WAY WAY WAY after I heard it all the time for Candace on wbb boards. Just because a nickname is used in one neighborhood does not give it cred in a different neighborhood. Here (on wbb neighborhood) it only means Candace. Be careful about going into a different neighborhood to make corrections.

~rAf
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/14/22 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread began with a focus on an owner from the NBA and WNBA being suspended and fined for racist and sexist workplace behavior, including using the N-word. I don't understand how an important focus became who is allowed to use CP3 to describe one athlete or another. I care about the former. I haven't used CP3 to describe anyone. I'd rather discuss ALL the sports owners--overwhelmingly white, male, and super-rich--who are racist and sexist but haven't yet been exposed.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: