RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Aces Owner Not Happy w/ WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:46 am    ::: Aces Owner Not Happy w/ WNBA Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I’m like a single parent that has two children I love very, very much and it’s deciding which child do you go to see,” Davis told USA TODAY Sports.

Quote:
So, happy as he is that both of his teams are playing at this time of the year, he doesn’t understand the wisdom of pitting the WNBA against the behemoth that is the NFL just as the league is finally making progress attracting casual fans. Both of the NFL’s afternoon windows will overlap with Game 1 of the W Finals.

Quote:
“It makes no sense. It doesn’t make any sense,” Davis said.

Especially not when the WNBA will soon try to make the case it deserves a bigger – much bigger – media rights deal.

Quote:
"'We don’t have the eyeballs. Well how in the hell are you going to get eyeballs when you’re going up against the opening day of the National Football League?” Davis asked. “That part is tough.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2022/09/09/mark-davis-raiders-aces-nfl-season-opener-wnba-finals/8027862001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm lazy and didn't read the article, but when would Davis suggest Game 1 be? Saturday is college football and Monday night is Monday Night Football. Wait until Tuesday? There were three full days between the first round and the semis, which felt like an eternity to me, and Game 1 on Tuesday would be four full days. Really kills the playoff momentum and excitement (in my opinion).

Of course, I assume this is more about how it is inconvenient for his schedule than the visibility of the WNBA, but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure it's the specific instance that has pissed off Davis, but it's a constant thing that ESPN has 'counter-programmed' the WNBA against the NFL schedule. And it has never felt like it was for the good of the league, more that it's where they have a hole because they don't have NFL rights at those times, so why not shove the WNBA there? I mean, that's why the games are on when they are - because that's where ESPN wants them.

I largely agree with him. The fanbases aren't identical at all, but if you want WNBA growth you do need to draw in people from the generic group of 'sports fans'. And a lot of those people want to watch the NFL, especially when they're the first proper games for 6 months. Hell, it would even be better if the game started an hour or two later, so that they only hit the late NFL window. The current tip-off time means the early games are still going and the late games start in the middle of Game 1. That's miserable scheduling unless you're the behemoth that everyone else needs to be working around.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish his criticism, which is valid, wasn't so harsh towards the league. As has been pointed out, this is ESPN filling a gap. I don't think the counter programming works. I would suggest ensuring the finals occur prior to the start of the NFL season all together. Look how great the playoff numbers have been when the only competition has been MLB.

I'd love to see the finals game 1 be a primetime ABC game. Maybe Saturday night?

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/09/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saturday / Saturday night isn't going to happen if ABC / ESPN has the rights to the league because of College Football. If you don't want to go against the NFL, you would need to schedule games on Friday / Tuesday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: