Chicago Sky 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
DTP wrote:
I hope that she doesn't want to leave and embraces this next challenge in her career. She's already won a championship and has made Chicago her home (great fan base, good coach, great arena, etc.) you would think someone at her age in this position would love the opportunity to really be the face of the team.

Dang. Coach Wade can't get the same adjective as the fan base or arena?

😂 Did they lie tho? Is Wade a great coach? Or is he just a good coach? 😅

I mean, no offense to Chicago but that arena ain't great either and the fanbases seems very fairweather from the attendance we saw in the time between Delle Donne and Parker.

Good arena, good coach and decent fanbase. 😉

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

End of an era on many levels.

The Vanderquigs convinced Candace to come home. Now she's gone. I think they are too. Quigley had a not-impressive year outside of the 3-point contest. I think she should retire. Sloot was down from her previous year's performance. All y'all can continue to speculate where she's going.

Dolson implied that players aren't treated well in Chi-town, which is part of why she left. I wonder if others feel that way. That has unfortunately been a part of the Sky's legacy which led to early departures by key folks years before EDD and Sylvia.

Meanwhile, there has been a new front office hire and co-owner:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sky/ct-chicago-sky-nadia-rawlinson-20230127-fxpgompirfgglfingfeb3j3n7i-story.html
Quote:
Principal owner Michael Alter and Fox began to discuss the concept of creating the operating chairman role in 2021. It wasn’t a concrete position, and the franchise never underwent an interview process. But last year when Alter met Rawlinson — who initially was interested in simply investing in the team — he quickly began to feel the Sky had found their new operating chairman.

Rawlinson brings a deep background in human resources, strategy and business development — as former chief people officer for Slack Technologies; as the former chief human resources officer for Live Nation Entertainment; and as a current consultant for venture capital firm Google Ventures. She currently serves on the board of directors for J. Crew, Vail Resorts and Save the Children and sits on the Stanford University Board of Trustees and the Harvard Business School Board of Dean’s Advisors.

To Alter, the experience paired with a deep love for Chicago, basketball and the empowerment of women’s sports made Rawlinson the correct fit.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Dolson implied that players aren't treated well in Chi-town, which is part of why she left. I wonder if others feel that way. That has unfortunately been a part of the Sky's legacy which led to early departures by key folks years before EDD and Sylvia.

Meanwhile, there has been a new front office hire and co-owner

Damn, even as recently as their championship season they weren’t being treated well? This is the first I’m hearing of this, and it’s disappointing to hear. Perhaps the potential mass exodus really is coming.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this twice (second time maybe in the wrong place because I think I got my windows confused). Either way, no one commented so I figured I was the only one who found it noteworthy.

ChiSky54 wrote:
Was interesting to see why Big Mama Stef said she left the Sky:
Quote:
Stefanie Dolson, the Liberty’s big off-season signing, said it was the franchise’s treatment of players that helped drive her from the WNBA Champion Chicago Sky to New York.

“The entire franchise, you can tell they just really care about their players,” Dolson said. “They care about the level of basketball they put out on the floor, which we can produce the best when we’re not really worried about the other stuff, like where are we going to practice, how are we traveling, what’s the schedule, just all that other stuff. When we can focus on just basketball, we can put out the best product.”

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/3/17/22976828/what-can-we-learn-from-tsais-willingness-to-pay-big-fines-to-support-players-in-both-wnba-and-nba

This also drew Brondello to the Libs.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago will reload this free agency season overpaying for players like McCowan and Mabrey.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Chicago will reload this free agency season overpaying for players like McCowan and Mabrey.

I could definitely see that. If Seattle wants to stay relevant and Sloot and Stewart go elsewhere I could see Seattle going after Mabrey as well

Chicago if it still wants to contend might also try decent money and decent level free agents something like

Wheeler/Evans
Copper/Gardner
Coffey/ #5 Joens or Jackson
Stevens/Billings
Harrison/Hebard

not the greatest but there is a road map to mid level success
if they don't want to tank for the awesome and deep 24/25 draft classes (there might be worse things then sucking for a season or two and building your new team around Clark/Reese or Buekers/Brinkor Miles/Edwards other options Fudd, Morrow, Cardosa, Harmon, etc)

I am curious if Meesseman would want tot come back and be a 1/2 option with Copper

If Charles is the touch happy player people to paint her out to be this seems like a good opportunity to play with another star in Copper and get plenty of touches

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I posted this twice (second time maybe in the wrong place because I think I got my windows confused). Either way, no one commented so I figured I was the only one who found it noteworthy.

ChiSky54 wrote:
Was interesting to see why Big Mama Stef said she left the Sky:
Quote:
Stefanie Dolson, the Liberty’s big off-season signing, said it was the franchise’s treatment of players that helped drive her from the WNBA Champion Chicago Sky to New York.

“The entire franchise, you can tell they just really care about their players,” Dolson said. “They care about the level of basketball they put out on the floor, which we can produce the best when we’re not really worried about the other stuff, like where are we going to practice, how are we traveling, what’s the schedule, just all that other stuff. When we can focus on just basketball, we can put out the best product.”

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/3/17/22976828/what-can-we-learn-from-tsais-willingness-to-pay-big-fines-to-support-players-in-both-wnba-and-nba

This also drew Brondello to the Libs.

To me, that reads as the Sky doesn't necessarily not care about its players, just that the Liberty are willing to move heaven & earth for their players. Like, on a standards-based 1-4 grading scale, the Liberty are at an above-and-beyond 4, but the Sky could still be a meets-standards 3.

Makes a difference in free agency, for sure. But I'm not necessarily reading that as a potshot against the Sky organization, especially if no one else from the recent core group has said anything eyebrow-raising.

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 01/30/23 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm disappointed by Parker's move, and Sloot possibly leaving too. Y'all had something good here, was hoping they'd run it back again.

PostPosted: 01/31/23 3:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Depth Chart:

1: Julie Allemand
2: Dana Evans
3: Kahleah Copper
4: Ruthy Hebard
5: Li Yueru

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/31/23 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
I'm disappointed by Parker's move, and Sloot possibly leaving too. Y'all had something good here, was hoping they'd run it back again.

I hear you and am with you there. With all of the speculation about Sloot...and then Sloot and Stewie.... the "writing was on the wall" that the run had come to an end. CP indicated that she would make her decision last week and she did. I'm sad to see her go but I respect her decision. It will be interesting to see what happens next for the team.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/31/23 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, she's officially gone y'all...I suppose her announcement on where she's headed is imminent, but this was pretty classy to say "Goodbye" beforehand.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoGhS7ADfJE/

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/01/23 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Julie Allemand
2: Dana Evans
4: Ruthy Hebard

Additions:

Subtractions:
- Candace Parker: via free agency
- Allie Quigley: will not play in 2023
- Courtney Vandersloot : via free agency

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/01/23 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yikes. this looks like a D2 team.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/02/23 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yikes. this looks like a D2 team.

MYRTLE Laughing Laughing Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wade getting desperate for Chicken Wings after his entire core just disappeared in less than 7 days LOL

https://twitter.com/Khristina/status/1621237748760813575?s=20&t=n3to9x9_cIa7nmF0IYL5Dg

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Williams come on down! Razz

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/02/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thank fuck *someone* wants to play in Chicago, Sky fans deserve better than being wholesale abandoned

(now with spelling variations)
basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/23 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Julie Allemand/Dana Evans
2: Courtney Williams
4: Isabelle Harrison/Ruthy Hebard

Additions:
- Isabelle Harrison: via free agency UPDATED
- Courtney Williams: via free agency UPDATED

Subtractions:
- Candace Parker: via free agency
- Allie Quigley: will not play in 2023
- AzurĂĄ Stevens: via free agency UPDATED
- Courtney Vandersloot : via free agency
[/b]

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/06/23 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky updates...

Sign Elizabeth Williams
https://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-sign-elizabeth-williams/

Signed Feyonda Fitzgerald and Robyn Parks
https://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-signs-robyn-parks-feyonda-fitzgerald-to-training-camp-contracts/

Updated Depth Chart:

1: Julie Allemand/Dana Evans/Feyonda Fitzgerald
2: Courtney Williams
4: Isabelle Harrison/Ruthy Hebard/Robyn Parks
5: Elizabeth Williams/Li Yueru

Seems as though the Sky still have a decent amount of money out there to spend. Wondering if a trade is possible. I would still like to see them add a better point guard option. Like Skylar Diggins, Jordan Canada, etc.

PostPosted: 02/06/23 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If not Dallas or Seattle I have Chicago as the third possible landing spot for Mabrey

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/23 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If not Dallas or Seattle I have Chicago as the third possible landing spot for Mabrey

Add Conn

PostPosted: 02/06/23 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Add Conn

Intersting

Sign and trade?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/06/23 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Add Conn

🧐 BJones, AThomas, and/or Bonner on their way out?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something like Carrington and a pick would make more sense.

PostPosted: 02/06/23 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better make it a good pick then. Carrington would be an interesting player if she could shoot, but alas. If she can’t turn that around, idk how long she sticks. I’m a little surprised Curt Miller hasn’t brought her home to SoCal by now.

Anyway, I’m realizing this isn’t the Sun thread – my bad. Embarassed

I have no idea what Chicago could trade for anyone in a non-dump besides Copper & picks. I at least don’t know why at this point they’d trade away picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: