Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I’m joining the “trade Loyd” camp, and I’ve also been in the “I don’t trust our front office one bit” camp for a while as some may recall but I’m gonna go ahead and reaffirm that commitment, since we could’ve cored Stewart instead of Loyd in 2021 but didn’t. Confused

Well now that we're being cynical, I'll bet threats were made that bad things would happen if they had tried to core Stewart.

We don’t know anything for sure. It did seem at the time that Loyd was more likely to leave between the two of them. Stewie could’ve been withholding her true feelings about leaving at that point; I wonder how blindsided we were when she took that original meeting with the Liberty last year. We’ll probably never know.

Still, the fact of the matter is, you just let your superstar player walk for nothing. It ain’t great for us right about now.

The true work begins for Talisa Rhea. I’ll avoid dragging out the past again talking about the GM before her…

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I’m joining the “trade Loyd” camp, and I’ve also been in the “I don’t trust our front office one bit” camp for a while as some may recall but I’m gonna go ahead and reaffirm that commitment, since we could’ve cored Stewart instead of Loyd in 2021 but didn’t. Confused

Well now that we're being cynical, I'll bet threats were made that bad things would happen if they had tried to core Stewart.

We don’t know anything for sure. It did seem at the time that Loyd was more likely to leave between the two of them. Stewie could’ve been withholding her true feelings about leaving at that point; I wonder how blindsided we were when she took that original meeting with the Liberty last year. We’ll probably never know.

Still, the fact of the matter is, you just let your superstar player walk for nothing. It ain’t great for us right about now.

The true work begins for Talisa Rhea. I’ll avoid dragging out the past again talking about the GM before her…

What's the alternative though? A sign and trade?
We don't know what the team tried to do, but the player had all the power here and the team had none.

At least we have tons of cap space now. We're pretty much an expansion team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

We don't know what the team tried to do, but the player had all the power here and the team had none.

Well, yeah. Hindsight is 20/20, but because 2022 ended without a title and we’ve just lost Stewie for nothing, ya kinda wonder if we’d have been in better shape right about now.

Again, it’s also possible that we only cored Loyd cuz we really didn’t expect Stewie would want to leave. Can’t help but wonder about everything at a time like this.

I’m sure we have a contingency plan now as it relates to the full-on rebuild we’re about to begin, but I sure hope we can execute it to perfection.

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Well, yeah. Hindsight is 20/20, but because 2022 ended without a title and we’ve just lost Stewie for nothing, ya kinda wonder if we’d have been in better shape right about now.

Again, it’s also possible that we only cored Loyd cuz we really didn’t expect Stewie would want to leave. Can’t help but wonder about everything at a time like this.

I’m sure we have a contingency plan now as it relates to the full-on rebuild we’re about to begin, but I sure hope we can execute it to perfection.

Everyone knew it was gonna be Bird's last year, so we had to throw everything at "win now." And that's most likely why Stewart (and maybe even Loyd) stayed at all.

Let's see what Ezi can do!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Let’s see what Ezi can do!

Let’s also hope Russell is healthy. If so, it’d be interesting to see what she can do in a bigger role.

I wonder, if Loyd wants to leave, if she would want to go back to Chicago now that both teams are in the same boat.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Time to reset. What are we trading Loyd for? I’d assume she wants out now. If she doesn’t, do we ship her off anyway?

does her core status play into any trade scenario?

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Aw this hartstikke. First my favoriete player retires anf now Stewie leaves my team to go play for a super team :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GlJpO107lTw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Time to reset. What are we trading Loyd for? I’d assume she wants out now. If she doesn’t, do we ship her off anyway?

does her core status play into any trade scenario?

Not anymore. And that’s another point! Had we traded her before this year’s core deadline, we could’ve turned around & cored Stewie. That probably would’ve been the better move, actually. Forgot about that. 😭 Damn our fucking front office lmao.

To answer the og question, Loyd continues to be tradable. Her core status from last year does not play into that whatsoever.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Aw this hartstikke. First my favoriete player retires anf now Stewie leaves my team to go play for a super team Sad

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GlJpO107lTw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I continue to be upset at whichever assholes traumatized your son at a game all those years ago. I hope they’ve since d*ed a painful d*ath. 😔 Would’ve loved to have seen you be just a neutral Storm hater, but alas. 😭

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there was a tweet saying Slooty committed to joining Seattle, but there’s been a follow-up tweet since saying she hasn’t actually committed to a team yet.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/01/23 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Sloot does go to Seattle they certainly have the cap to try and carve out a path to relevance

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If Sloot does go to Seattle they certainly have the cap to try and carve out a path to relevance

though relevance ≠ title contention

ya either wanna be (re)building into a title contender or an as-is title contender – anywhere else is No-Man's Land

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/01/23 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

though relevance ≠ title contention

ya either wanna be (re)building into a title contender or an as-is title contender – anywhere else is No-Man's Land

Yeah that is the truth.
Chicago is kind of in the same boat

I think it would be best for both to lean into a rebuild but I am not sure W owners think the same way

Chicago could be an interesting landing spot for Loyd but they have very few assets if the Sky decided to put a bunch of decent free agents around Copper and Loyd maybe Seattle could get pick 5 and a future first round with Hebard or Evans as a throw in

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can see happening a multi-team trade involving Loyd/Seattle, Copper/Chicago, and 1-2 other teams

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/01/23 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO they have 3 options:

1. Keep Loyd and tank hard to get one of Clark/Bueckers/Brink
2. Trade Loyd for a probable lottery pick + extra and tank for two of Clark/Reese/Bueckers/Brink
3. Trade Loyd and Russell and start a hard rebuild that will collect 3-5 top players from the next 2-3 drafts (which have plenty of potential star power)

It will be interesting to see which direction they go in.

PostPosted: 02/01/23 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/you-can-be-sad-about-breanna-stewart-leaving-the-storm-but-dont-be-mad/?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=2648914&fbclid=IwAR1b3GvLS419kDqRPw-rFr4dQM__5d8smtTlVv6zmrKrvJc45QZEOOuZeTs

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/01/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems that the late decision by Breanna Stewart might've cost the Storm 2 free agent signings.

Per Em Adler The Next Hoop:

"one source told The Next that Talbot was interested in re-signing with Seattle, but preferred to make her decision sooner... This was also the case for Brittney Sykes, who was in talks with Seattle, but took Washington over waiting out Stewart’s decision"

https://twitter.com/em_adler/status/1620836194484637697

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/01/23 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way Seattle does not at least request Onyenwere in a sign & trade for Stewie to get her or Johannes , although her access to show up is not consistent. I would not want richards , and i think NY wants Thornton . That leaves , Laney as the New SF or Willoughby.

PostPosted: 02/01/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So did slooty jump the gun assuming stewie would resign and now has reneged seeing stewie choose new york ? That's pretty harsh , its either you want to play for your hometown or not . It seems as though she would prefer to win versus support the hometown team right now .

PostPosted: 02/01/23 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stewart to New York ends in a sign-and-trade, I’ll give the Storm front office some grace – though it’ll depend on the result. Acquiring Dolson, Laney, or both wouldn’t be terrible if there’s much more along with it, cuz those would effectively be dumps.

Of course, the Storm would’ve had more leverage in such a deal had we been able to core Stewart, either last year outright or this year by way of trading Loyd early in January.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo, please explain how you do a sign & trade on a free agent who’s already flown the coup?

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
If Stewart to New York ends in a sign-and-trade, I’ll give the Storm front office some grace – though it’ll depend on the result. Acquiring Dolson, Laney, or both wouldn’t be terrible if there’s much more along with it, cuz those would effectively be dumps.

Of course, the Storm would’ve had more leverage in such a deal had we been able to core Stewart, either last year outright or this year by way of trading Loyd early in January.

There won't be a sign and trade, Stewart's signature is already dry on a Liberty contract.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious where the sign and trade idea is coming from?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Stormeo, please explain how you do a sign & trade on a free agent who’s already flown the coup?

SportsGuru wrote:
There won't be a sign and trade, Stewart's signature is already dry on a Liberty contract.

J-Spoon wrote:
Just curious where the sign and trade idea is coming from?

Alright, it’s time for a “listen up, motherfuckers!” moment. Mr. Green Holly Rowe on the W Free Agency Special on ESPN2 was the one who originally floated the idea. Breanna Stewart has not actually signed a contract yet – she has only committed to joining New York thus far. Anyone who has said she has actually signed anything is inaccurate and saying so prematurely.

So how does it becomes a sign-and-trade? If Stewart wants a supermax salary. And why would New York be willing to do it? It gives them a chance to offload a contract they don’t want (Laney, Dolson, or both). The Liberty would have to give up other stuff, like a 1RP or a superfluous young wing player of theirs (which the Storm need), but they’d be fine with it. They might be having to accommodate Sloot and whatever dollar amount she wants, in addition to whoever else the Liberty are after on the free agency market.

It all becomes moot if Stewart simply signs, but would she not have done so already if that were the case? The Liberty accounts, by the way, have announced nothing related to Stewart. That’s because nothing has been signed, sealed, or delivered yet.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/01/23 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Alright, it’s time for a “listen up, motherfuckers!” moment. Mr. Green Holly Rowe on the W Free Agency Special on ESPN2 was the one who originally floated the idea. Breanna Stewart has not actually signed a contract yet – she has only committed to joining New York thus far. Anyone who has said she has actually signed anything is inaccurate and saying so prematurely.

So how does it becomes a sign-and-trade? If Stewart wants a supermax salary. And why would New York be willing to do it? It gives them a chance to offload a contract they don’t want (Laney, Dolson, or both). The Liberty would have to give up other stuff, like a 1RP or a superfluous young wing player of theirs (which the Storm need), but they’d be fine with it. They might be having to accommodate Sloot and whatever dollar amount she wants, in addition to whoever else the Liberty are after on the free agency market.

It all becomes moot if Stewart simply signs, but would she not have done so already if that were the case? The Liberty accounts, by the way, have announced nothing related to Stewart. That’s because nothing has been signed, sealed, or delivered yet.

I'm not disputing the rest of what you've said above. But this is the second time I've seen discussion of the Liberty offloading the contract of Betnijah Laney. Was it you who wrote that the first time as well? I can't recall.

As a Liberty fan, I can imagine reasons why the Liberty might want to do what you're suggesting here if it involves trading Dolson. But Laney? In my view, no way.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: