RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/31/22 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem with those deals for Connecticut is you're dumping one of their star bigs without getting any cheaper whatsoever. SDS for AThomas would actually leave them with even less cap space. And given one of their remaining big salaries would still be a hopefully-healthy JThomas, SDS wouldn't be playing point anyway.

While I think Mabrey will have a significant market, I really don't think Dallas are getting a veteran All-World player for her RFA rights and filler.

PostPosted: 08/31/22 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:
How many folks feel that VJ did enough to secure her return next year?

Will Sabally become the next Moriah Jefferson? (injury history)

I was glad to see McCowan come into her own this year! The first time I saw her was during a preseason game against the Sky her rookie year. My first thought was "Who is this big doofus-looking girl?" in light of her seeming so lost and the fact that she was markedly taller than nearly everyone else on the court. She was hustling, for sure, but she was struggling. It's always great to see a player's progression! Smile

Unfortunately, I see her coming back unless something happened behind the scenes that we are unaware of!

Agreed , this is her extension year so she will need to play hard and actually STAY healthy if she wants to stick around for the big payday. As of today i will say Satou has been underperforming and not deserving . We can give her 1 more year , hopefully Gray has had a change of heart but from what ive seen / heard it's not likely . Question is what do you think we can get for her in a trade since shes under contract ?

As far Satou, I'm still trying to figure out how she can afford to buy property in Downtown Dallas let alone what her future might bešŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

Overseas $$ and to be honest downtown is not that expensive maybe 2K a month max. Downtown Dallas that is .

On her Instagram she stated she was buying not renting.

I'm sure she's made enough money to buy at this point . She was just named Turkish League MVP this past offseason .

PostPosted: 08/31/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No , to Alyssa Thomas. Great player indeed but we have McCowan and that needs to be our focus. If anything we need a a strong SF or PF (Whom does not allow opposing defenses to sag off) . Keep Mabrey and figure out how to get this team to gel with playing inside out through McCowan .

PostPosted: 09/02/22 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK so I have been trying to come up with some A. Gray trade ideas

the good new at 169k in 23 I think there will be a market for a trade. Most if not all teams would love an A. Gray type player and her value vs production equation is decent

the bad new IMO it is difficult to find the right deal some teams will still have trouble bringing in that kind of money without sending back a similar size contract, other teams in the off season have so many players off the books it is hard to put together package and finally I think Dallas would probably prefer a vet who could take them to the next level but most teams that can easily absorb Gray are better suited to sending back picks or young players with that said I will try to put out one for each team but only some are realistic others are just fun

Atl- has some assets but not really the right ones, if their lottery pick is 3 or 4 I would do
Gray to Atl for pick 3 or 4 (if they get a higher lottery pick)
Gray to Atl for McDonald and pick 8
Chi- everyone is out of contract for Chicago in 23 so they really need to figure out what to do with Sloot, Parker, Meeseman and Stevens before making trades but
Gray for pick #5 is a pretty easy swap
Conn is a tough one of they are going to struggle to bring back B. Jones because of money can't see them going after Gray without giving up one of Bonner, A. Thomas or J. Jones I don't think they would do that however
Gray for Bonner (isn't the worst win now move for Dallas if you think a vet is what they need though it would be short term as Bonner is on the old side)
Indy has some assets but I doubt Gray would want to go there but
Gray for N. Smith or
Gray for Henderson and pick #7 (chould be ok deals but tbh I don't see Indy as a real partner for Dallas)
NY-NY is interesting they have some pieces, Gray could be a decent starting back court running mate for Ionescu she isn't a PG but can run the offense enough to take Ionescu off the ball and she has the size a defense to hide Ionescu on the other end
Gray for Howard (kind of interesting Howard could certainly help Dallas but might not be the level they are looking for)
Gray for R. Allen and pick #6 (again I don't think Dallas would jump for joy but a decent SF a mid first round pick feels about right for Dallas to stay on an upward trajectory)
Gray for right to Johannes and #6 (risky for Dallas does Johannes come over for a non-NY team but could be interesting for both sides).
Washington-Clark is technically out of contract could Gray be an upgrade for Washington at the SF Cloud, Atkins, Gray, EDD and Austin seems like a good fit starting 5. If Washington ends up with pick 3 or 4
Gray to wah for pick 3 or 4 seem pretty realistic for what both teams might need
west
LV I don't see it as happening they have their core locked in for the future and can't take on Gray without trading one of their core the trade ideas would be
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
but again I don't see it happening
LA doesn't have the right assets unless
Gray and #11 for a sign and trade of N. Ogwumike
I have been trying to get N. Ogwumike to Dallas she is an experienced vet that I think even in her thirties could take the young Wings over the top but I don't see Nneka moving on from LA which leaves
Gray for Carter and pick 15 (could be exciting but can't see Dallas fans liking it at all
Minny is weird they only have 5 player under contract do far in 23 but 4 of them have big contract hard to take on Gray without sending money back and with McBride, Powers and Collier at the SF sometimes is one of the places it is hard to see Gray getting minutes unless Minny feels it can put out a no PG line up for extended periods the easy trade
Gray to Minny for pick #4 (if the lottery doesn't help them out) or
Gray for McBride or Powers but I don't see either team doing that
PX Atm has 3 players under contract in 23 and no first round picks so unless they are willing to do
Gray for 1st round pick in 23 or
Gray sign and trade for RFA Cunningham
There is literally no possible deal
Seattle currently has two players under contract for 23 so they have a lot to work out before making trades ironically one of the two could work as a trade option
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9
probably not the best options but both could work but until Seattle figure out if Stewart is staying and how to replace Bird Gray probably isn't on their radar, Gray signing as a free agent in 24 however wouldn't shock me at all if Seattle retains Stewart and continues to contend

after this long post my top three option would be
Gray to Washington for pick 3 or 4
Gray to NY for either Howard or R. Allen and pick #6
Gray to Chicago for pick #5

I don't think picks are the best for Dallas but high 1st round picks might be the best offer on the table and Gray would get to go to a win now team

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/02/22 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

based on the above I think Dallas should be patient for one more season barring unexpected free agent signing
make strong offers for RFA McCowan and Mabrey
and go into 23 with something like

Mabrey/Harris
Ogunbowale/Burton/their own 1st round pick
Thorton/1st round pick from Gray trade
Sabally/Kuier/Collier
McCowan/Alarie

see if they can upgrade through free agency (UFA B. Jones, A. Stevens, Billings their own Harrison), waiver wire or camp invite (Collier and Alarie are cuttable or tradable?)

two 1st round pick options from
pick 4-6 from trade and their own at 11
D. Miller
Joens
Blackwell
R. Jackson
Z. Cooke
Horston
Brown-Turner

Sabally showing up for the whole season, healthy and stepping into her potential is the missing piece IMO and could still happen

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/02/22 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

the good new at 169k in 23 I think there will be a market for a trade. Most if not all teams would love an A. Gray type player and her value vs production equation is decent

the bad new IMO it is difficult to find the right deal some teams will still have trouble bringing in that kind of money without sending back a similar size contract, other teams in the off season have so many players off the books it is hard to put together package and finally I think Dallas would probably prefer a vet who could take them to the next level but most teams that can easily absorb Gray are better suited to sending back picks or young players with that said I will try to put out one for each team but only some are realistic others are just fun

Atl- has some assets but not really the right ones, if their lottery pick is 3 or 4 I would do
Chi- everyone is out of contract for Chicago in 23 so they really need to figure out what to do with Sloot, Parker, Meeseman and Stevens before making trades but
Conn is a tough one of they are going to struggle to bring back B. Jones because of money can't see them going after Gray without giving up one of Bonner, A. Thomas or J. Jones I don't think they would do that however
Gray for Bonner (isn't the worst win now move for Dallas if you think a vet is what they need though it would be short term as Bonner is on the old side)
Gray for N. Smith or
Gray for Henderson and pick #7 (chould be ok deals but tbh I don't see Indy as a real partner for Dallas)
NY-NY is interesting they have some pieces, Gray could be a decent starting back court running mate for Ionescu she isn't a PG but can run the offense enough to take Ionescu off the ball and she has the size a defense to hide Ionescu on the other end
Gray for Howard (kind of interesting Howard could certainly help Dallas but might not be the level they are looking for)
Gray for R. Allen and pick #6 (again I don't think Dallas would jump for joy but a decent SF a mid first round pick feels about right for Dallas to stay on an upward trajectory)
Gray for right to Johannes and #6 (risky for Dallas does Johannes come over for a non-NY team but could be interesting for both sides).
Washington-Clark is technically out of contract could Gray be an upgrade for Washington at the SF Cloud, Atkins, Gray, EDD and Austin seems like a good fit starting 5. If Washington ends up with pick 3 or 4
Gray to wah for pick 3 or 4 seem pretty realistic for what both teams might need
west
LV I don't see it as happening they have their core locked in for the future and can't take on Gray without trading one of their core the trade ideas would be
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
I have been trying to get N. Ogwumike to Dallas she is an experienced vet that I think even in her thirties could take the young Wings over the top but I don't see Nneka moving on from LA which leaves
Gray for Carter and pick 15 (could be exciting but can't see Dallas fans liking it at all
Minny is weird they only have 5 player under contract do far in 23 but 4 of them have big contract hard to take on Gray without sending money back and with McBride, Powers and Collier at the SF sometimes is one of the places it is hard to see Gray getting minutes unless Minny feels it can put out a no PG line up for extended periods the easy trade
PX Atm has 3 players under contract in 23 and no first round picks so unless they are willing to do
Seattle currently has two players under contract for 23 so they have a lot to work out before making trades ironically one of the two could work as a trade option
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9
probably not the best options but both could work but until Seattle figure out if Stewart is staying and how to replace Bird Gray probably isn't on their radar, Gray signing as a free agent in 24 however wouldn't shock me at all if Seattle retains Stewart and continues to contend

I don't think picks are the best for Dallas but high 1st round picks might be the best offer on the table and Gray would get to go to a win now team

DAL: Atkins

WAS: Gray

I would do this is a nano second!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/02/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Gray for N. Smith or
west
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What DFDub said ^^^^^^

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Gray for N. Smith or
west
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9

This Mystics fan says NOPE. Gray for Mystics' lotto pick = YES (assuming Mystics don't luck into another #1 pick). Gray would be what Mystics were hoping for from Clark (defensive stopper/disrupter + outside/inside offense). Some people seem to forget that Gray was thrust into being a post defender in SC's first championship run due to injury to Alaina Coates. Gray's ability to defend taller players was crucial to them getting the ring, which will be an asset in the Mystics' switching defense. Plus playing alongside TWO 1st team defenders, she can hold her own on the outside.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/02/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Gray for N. Smith or
west
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9

Gray to Chicago for the #5 pick of the 2023 draft? I would have to think about making that trade for a few months. If Chicago wants to draft a wing player with that pick then getting Gray will be the best option. If they are searching for a post prospect then the Sky should keep that pick if there is a post player they want to draft then MAYBE they should keep that pick. I would have to watch a few months of the upcoming NCAA basketball season to better gauge what would be the best decision to make. The best time to make this decision would be shortly before the Free Agency time period begins.

PostPosted: 09/04/22 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
If the Sun loses to Chicago again. I would try to facilitate a 3-way trade:

To Conn: SDS & Awak

To Phoe: Mabrey (RF), Collier & Dal 2023 2nd rd pk

To Dal: J.Jones

OR

To Conn: SDS

To Phoe: Mabrey (RF), Collier & Dal 2023 2nd rd pk

To Dal: A.Thomas

Dream a little dream...if you think CT's gonna give up any of the big 3 (MVP J.Jones, AThomas,Bonner) when they'll likely lose BJones to free agency...you're dreaming. Do the Sun need help in the backcourt? Absolutely. But not by giving up what's left of the frontcourt. On the other hand, CT is one team that would be a possible landing spot for SDS. AThomas and Bonner will adapt to her scowling ways if the team is better on the floor. I could see SDS and Courtney Williams getting into it, though.

I can't find it, but I recall reading on twitter I think after the 1st round that a Sun player said their window with this group is running out, so perhaps the players/staff are already expecting trades to happen/people to leave after this season regardless of what happens.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/04/22 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why do we think Gray is asking for a trade? Is this real? or just rumors?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/05/22 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a weird quote from what sounds like an insider it is on the last page of the Dallas 22 thread it says something like ā€œat the trade deadline A . Gray will be staying with Dallas until the end of the seasonā€ and seems to imply would be moved in the off season there is a link to something not sure if it reliable or not but certainly unusual

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/07/22 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Gray for N. Smith or
west
Gray and #11 for C. Gray
or Gray for Young
Gray for Russel
Gray for pick #9

This Mystics fan says NOPE. Gray for Mystics' lotto pick = YES (assuming Mystics don't luck into another #1 pick). Gray would be what Mystics were hoping for from Clark (defensive stopper/disrupter + outside/inside offense). Some people seem to forget that Gray was thrust into being a post defender in SC's first championship run due to injury to Alaina Coates. Gray's ability to defend taller players was crucial to them getting the ring, which will be an asset in the Mystics' switching defense. Plus playing alongside TWO 1st team defenders, she can hold her own on the outside.

In that case....NO DEALšŸ¤Ø

pilight

PostPosted: 09/19/22 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings Announce Coaching Change

https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-news-sept-19/

Quote:
A search for the organizationā€™s new head coach will begin immediately

PostPosted: 09/19/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dallas Wings Announce Coaching Change

https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-news-sept-19/

Quote:
A search for the organizationā€™s new head coach will begin immediately

Get Amber Stocks.

PostPosted: 09/19/22 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. I thought VJ did very well down the stretch and earned another year.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/19/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I guess this is where we find out if Dallas wants to be good, or if they want to be Ogunbowaleā€™s backup band.

(now with spelling variations)
PRballer

PostPosted: 09/19/22 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Considering the injuries especially. Wow.
Bibb is a dumba$$ and this franchise wonā€™t win with him making the decisions

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/19/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great 2 years VJ . You fulfilled your contract with a record of 32-36 and our first playoff win . I appreciate you for everything but this is the right move. PS if were going to blame players in this situation it's not Arike as the main catalyst this time............

PostPosted: 09/19/22 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Agreed!

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/19/22 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought she did reasonably well with what she had to do it with. Different coach, same lineup = not much change. So it a) depends on who they get as a replacement and b) which players they acquire to go with the new coach. Hope VJ finds a good gig someplace. If I were a college looking for a coach, would definitely be giving her a call.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/19/22 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO they have several needs. Mabrey and Arike are good. It's hard to have two guards on the floor at the same time who are interested in defense. and Burton is perhaps a decent backup. Not impressed with Harris but she is under contract Not sure what to do there. Thornton is decent as a backup but not a starter. Not sure about Izzy. She seemed to regress this year - is that because she can't be on the floor with McCowan. I kept thinking the twin towers effect might be good but VJ seemed unwilling to try it. Anyway I suspect Izzy will be looking for a different home. So who can they replace her with? I've been thinking the Ogwumikes are from Texas so might be more interested in a Dallas offer than many others might be.

Mabrey/Burton/[Harris if they can't dump her]
Ogunbowale/[whoever they get in Gray trade]
Sabally/ [1st round pick]
Nneka/ Kuier/ Thorton/
McCowan/ Chiney [Alarie if they can dump Harris]

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/20/22 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A shame - kinda like what happened to Pokey after a few close but no cigar seasons. Yes some of her choices were suspect. But I also believe that she worked reasonably well with what she had. Still, it probably makes sense to move her alo

I wish her well and hope she's able to find something that highlights her skill set.

Rocky...that Stocks suggestion was cold! Laughing

PostPosted: 09/20/22 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine teams may start looking at Natalie Nakase given the Aces success but she might be happy in Vegas under Becky and want to work on the dynasty. Could also see VJ going back to Vegas and reuniting with her good friend.

Sheā€™d also be an asset to any college program.

As for the Dallas roster, I donā€™t think you for that far with Mabrey as your first or second option. Sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: