RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/01/23 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that is why approximately 10 seconds later I called myself an idiot and said I couldn't count

PostPosted: 02/01/23 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
that is why approximately 10 seconds later I called myself an idiot and said I couldn't count

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I apologize. Anyway, given your long and deep commitment to our team, I hope you and I and all Liberty fans will greatly enjoy the 2023 season. I'm certainly not counting on a championship; no fan ever should. But we should see some exciting basketball!!!

PostPosted: 02/02/23 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been reflecting on where our team has come from. On the New York Liberty website, it shows 13 players on the Liberty roster for 2020, the Wubble year. Asia Durr was out for the season. Here were the 12 players in uniform for the Liberty in 2021:

Forwards: Kia Nurse, Megan Walker, Jocelyn Willoughby, Leanna Odom, Joyner Holmes.

Centers: Kiah Stokes, Amanda Zahui B., Kylie Shook

Guards: Sabrina Ionescu (played only three games), Layshia Clarendon, Jaz Jones, Paris Kea

At the moment, only two of those 13 players will be in uniform for New York this season: Ionescu and Willoughby. It's possible that the majority will not be in the WNBA.

If you consider the likely Liberty roster for 2023 (with or without Courtney Vandersloot), it's a staggering change from 2020.

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where’s Queenie???? Are you excited? Very Happy Laughing

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Vandersloot is coming to New York. So now we'll see if Jonathan Kolb has arranged how to bring in Stewart and Vandersloot without needing a sign-and-trade. Or who will be departing? Or if Brondello will have to go with a maximum of 11 players on the roster?

At least for this moment, New York seemingly has these 12 players:

Stewart, Laney, Thornton, Willoughby, and Onyenwere
Jones, Dolson, and Han
Ionescu, Vandersloot, Johannes, and Richards

plus possibly Kone, Carrera, or Fauthoux
plus perhaps in 2024 Sabally

Wow!

Compare this possible 2023 roster with the players (noted above) for the Liberty in the 2020 Wubble season!

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it is 11 maybe something like

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Richards
Laney/Willoughby or Onyenwere
Stewart/Thornton
Jones/Dolson/Han Xu

Ok that is a really strong team

pilight

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Brondello made the right move in leaving Phoenix

PostPosted: 02/02/23 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Looks like Brondello made the right move in leaving Phoenix

Slight revisionist history. Would she have left Phoenix if the Merc front office wanted her to come back instead of wanting her not to?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/02/23 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Richards
Stewart/Thornton
Jones/Dolson/Han Xu

I'd say that is definitely the likely 11 if Kolb doesn't have to do a sign and trade and give up either Dolson or Laney. Barring injuries, neither Willoughby nor Onyenwere would be in the rotation.

This would be not only an impressive starting lineup but a team with some significant contributors off the bench.

PostPosted: 02/02/23 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Richards
Stewart/Thornton
Jones/Dolson/Han Xu

I'd say that is definitely the likely 11 if Kolb doesn't have to do a sign and trade and give up either Dolson or Laney. Barring injuries, neither Willoughby nor Onyenwere would be in the rotation.

This would be not only an impressive starting lineup but a team with some significant contributors off the bench.

Ny's 2nd 5 will be tough defensively . Richards & Thornton will be hard to score against if your not 6'4 or 6"5 ....Then you have Han to worry about at the rim . Kolb pulled out all the stops . NY is a title contender its been 20 years since i could say that . Feels good. I root for you guys up there !

PostPosted: 02/02/23 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Where’s Queenie???? Are you excited? Very Happy Laughing

Excited, confused, and a little scared

PostPosted: 02/02/23 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just read this in the New York Daily News: according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, Breanna Stewart is expected to take less money so that New York can fit Courtney Vandersloot into the roster. No details beyond that.

There's been a lot of talk on RebKell's Seattle page about a sign-and-trade and what the Storm might possibly get out of that. But imagine if Jonathan Kolb can arrange to sign Stewart and Vandersloot WITHOUT having to give up Laney or Dolson. (And if there isn't roster money for both Onyenwere and Willoughby, I'll be sorry... but neither one would be in the rotation at the moment.)

The offseason so far for Jonathan Kolb:

LOST Natasha Howard, Rebecca Allen, Crystal Dangerfield
GOT Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones, Courtney Vandersloot

Pretty good three-for-three trade. Smile

PostPosted: 02/02/23 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just read this in the New York Daily News: according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, Breanna Stewart is expected to take less money so that New York can fit Courtney Vandersloot into the roster. No details beyond that.

There's been a lot of talk on RebKell's Seattle page about a sign-and-trade and what the Storm might possibly get out of that. But imagine if Jonathan Kolb can arrange to sign Stewart and Vandersloot WITHOUT having to give up Laney or Dolson. (And if there isn't roster money for both Onyenwere and Willoughby, I'll be sorry... but neither one would be in the rotation at the moment.)

The offseason so far for Jonathan Kolb:

LOST Natasha Howard, Rebecca Allen, Crystal Dangerfield
GOT Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones, Courtney Vandersloot

Pretty good three-for-three trade. Smile

It’s customarily 10 to 15 years in the Big House for robberies like this!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/02/23 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

LOL

PostPosted: 02/02/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Frontrunner for Executive of the Year!

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Courtney Vandersloot/DiDi Richards
2: Sabrina Ionescu/Jocelyn Willoughby
3: Betnijah Laney/Michaela Onyenwere
4: Breanna Stewart/Kayla Thornton
5: Jonquel Jones/Stefanie Dolson

Additions:
- Jonquel Jones: via trade
- Breanna Stewart : via free agency
- Kayla Thornton: via trade
- Courtney Vandersloot: via free agency UPDATED

Subtractions
- Rebecca Allen: via trade
- Crystal Dangerfield: via trade
- Natasha Howard : via trade
- 2023 1st round pick: via trade

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions

Dear basketballologist: I don't understand your approach. The lists of Additions and Subtractions are valuable. The omission of players we reasonably believe to be on the team in 2023--for New York, Marine Johannes and Han Xu--is puzzling. Shouldn't they at least be listed with an asterisk, with italics, whatever, to show there's a good chance they'll be here?

Your insistence of fitting everyone into the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern the way you do is even more puzzling. Didi Richards is NOT the backup point guard for this team. Looks like when Vandersloot is out of the game Ionescu will be the point guard. Perhaps Johannes now and then. Not Richards. She is NOT a #1.

Please consider modifying your approach. Many thanks.

PostPosted: 02/03/23 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions

Dear basketballologist: I don't understand your approach. The lists of Additions and Subtractions are valuable. The omission of players we reasonably believe to be on the team in 2023--for New York, Marine Johannes and Han Xu--is puzzling. Shouldn't they at least be listed with an asterisk, with italics, whatever, to show there's a good chance they'll be here?

Your insistence of fitting everyone into the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern the way you do is even more puzzling. Didi Richards is NOT the backup point guard for this team. Looks like when Vandersloot is out of the game Ionescu will be the point guard. Perhaps Johannes now and then. Not Richards. She is NOT a #1.

I believe they are using literal signings as the basis

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/03/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I wouldn't think that would be meaningful even if true, but it isn't true. Seems pretty certain that neither Breanna Stewart nor Courtney Vandersloot has yet signed a contract with the Liberty.

And if they both sign contracts tomorrow then I still feel that the names of Marine Johannes and Han Xu should appear on any such list in some way. It's not guaranteed that they'll be on the 2023 roster, but I don't consider it guaranteed that Michaela Onyenwere, Jocelyn Willoughby, or Didi Richards will be on the 2023 roster.

PostPosted: 02/03/23 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I wouldn't think that would be meaningful even if true, but it isn't true. Seems pretty certain that neither Breanna Stewart nor Courtney Vandersloot has yet signed a contract with the Liberty.

And if they both sign contracts tomorrow then I still feel that the names of Marine Johannes and Han Xu should appear on any such list in some way. It's not guaranteed that they'll be on the 2023 roster, but I don't consider it guaranteed that Michaela Onyenwere, Jocelyn Willoughby, or Didi Richards will be on the 2023 roster.

I guess literal signing and direct statements by players and/or media about signings for this season
I don't believe they are prediction about final rosters either just up to the minute reporting

Not arguing their intent or yours just describing what I see here and on other teams pages (A couple days ago the Seattle's page had two players, the PX page does not as yet include Griner or DT, etc)

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/05/23 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Quote:

Frontrunner for Executive of the Year!

And it wasn't that long ago that everyone here was calling for him to be fired. Time heals all wounds.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/06/23 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm about to do it again: discuss a former New York Liberty player. There's something I'm curious about and would welcome any thoughts from others.

One of the fascinating things to me about sports is that some athletes get much better than we initially saw or imagined while others get noticeably worse. For me, a recent example is Kia Nurse, who's just signed with Seattle.

I thought Nurse did an excellent job as a Liberty rookie in 2018. Better than is often expected for the 10th pick. Then, in the first half of 2019, Nurse was even better and made the All Star team. But (in my view) her play deteriorated in the second half of the season and was even worse in 2020. In that season--when New York badly needed a major contribution from Nurse--she had a .273 shooting percentage and .238 on three-pointers.

Nurse's 2021 season in Phoenix didn't go well. She missed all of 2022 due to a torn ACL. Now she's on her third team. I'm baffled. I never understood her second-half decline in 2019 and further decline after that. I wish Kia well in Seattle.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions

I try to update as they are signed or are on the roster. I don't see Johannes so I put Richards there at the time being.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/08/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL add Epiphany Prince to the roster as well.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw on the Liberty website that Breanna Stewart and Courtney Vandersloot have both signed. Nothing said there about any needed sign-and-trade. Hoping they've worked out a deal with Jonathan Kolb that won't force anyone to leave.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: