Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/21/23 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Of tangential relevance:

Sabrina and Hroniss Grasu announce their engagement. May we be blessed with very athletic kids. Cool (in a decade or so)

I'm guessing in the future she'll be heading to the Aces.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/21/23 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Howee wrote:
Of tangential relevance:

Sabrina and Hroniss Grasu announce their engagement. May we be blessed with very athletic kids. Cool (in a decade or so)

NFL rosters are far less stable than WNBA rosters. She'd be a fool to go wherever he is playing.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/23 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Look at his career first and then make your guess. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hroniss_Grasu

Quote:
Professional career: Chicago Bears (2015-2018) | Baltimore Ravens (2018) | Miami Dolphins (2018) | Tennessee Titans (2019) | Baltimore Ravens (2019-2020) | San Francisco 49ers (2020-2021) | Las Vegas Raiders (2021-Present)

Anyway, congrats to the two of them.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Look at his career first and then make your guess. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hroniss_Grasu

Quote:
Professional career: Chicago Bears (2015-2018) | Baltimore Ravens (2018) | Miami Dolphins (2018) | Tennessee Titans (2019) | Baltimore Ravens (2019-2020) | San Francisco 49ers (2020-2021) | Las Vegas Raiders (2021-Present)

There's something in common all the NFL teams he has played for except the Raiders, the team owner doesn't own a WNBA team. Grasu doesn't make a huge salary, Mark Davis could keep him around a long time which could attract his future wife to Las Vegas.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Quote:

There's something in common all the NFL teams he has played for except the Raiders, the team owner doesn't own a WNBA team. Grasu doesn't make a huge salary, Mark Davis could keep him around a long time which could attract his future wife to Las Vegas.

He only got promoted to their active roster for a month, after being on the practice squad for all his previous time there. That’s the right direction to go in, but let’s see if he’s even still in the same roster spot next fall. Cheap fringe NFL players, like in any other big league, are a dime a dozen.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/21/23 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Quote:

That is absolutely not how NFL rosters work. They don't call it the Not For Long league for a reason. He'll be lucky if he is even on the Raiders or even in the NFL at all next season.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/21/23 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Quote:

That is absolutely not how NFL rosters work. They don't call it the Not For Long league for a reason. He'll be lucky if he is even on the Raiders or even in the NFL at all next season.

It depends on who likes the player, I've seen players spend years on a team who shouldn't be on a team.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/21/23 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with Stormeo and JohnJohnW about this. Any thought of stability for an NFL player--and especially a player who is 31 years old--makes no sense. For his sake, I hope he can stay in the NFL for at least two more seasons... wherever.

Sabrina Ionescu is 25 years old and is an All Star who perhaps can be even better in the future. Yes, at some point she'll be able to head for another team if she chooses. But a 31-year-old NFL center who's on his SEVENTH team... really? She should go to the Aces as soon as possible for that reason?

I wish both of them well in every way.

P.S. Just checked. I hope I've got this right: Sabrina Ionescu will be a restricted free agent for the Liberty for the 2024 season. Hard to imagine New York not sticking with Sabrina as long as possible. What are the odds that Hroniss Grasu, who will be 33 years old in 2025, will be on the roster then for the Las Vegas Raiders? I say: rather slim.

PostPosted: 01/21/23 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think we have to worry about her going to Vegas

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/23/23 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Video of introductory press conference for Jonquel Jones. 19 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEB1YB7zW8U

PostPosted: 01/23/23 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Single-game tickets for Liberty home games are now on sale.

PostPosted: 01/23/23 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Single-game tickets for Liberty home games are now on sale.

And Barclays is back to using Ticketmaster.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/29/23 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it's down to two choices for Breanna Stewart and February 1st is coming soon.

Hoping for this new starting lineup: Laney, Stewart, Jones, Ionescu, and Johannes. On the bench: Thornton, Willoughby, Onyenwere, Dolson, Han, Richards, and Kone. (If New York can afford 12 players.) Or it could be Thornton starting and Johannes coming off the bench.

Wondering, whether Stewart comes to New York or doesn't, if Kolb has more moves in mind. Signing another free agent? (Vandersloot or another guard?) Making another trade? (I'd like to see Dangerfield back.)

I'm excited about this season with or without Stewart. But hoping it's "with."

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possible lineup if both Stewart and Vandersloot sign with New York. (I realize the answer here could be "neither.") I will assume 11 players rather than 12:

Starters: Laney, Stewart, Jones, Vandersloot, Ionescu.

Bench: Thornton, Onyenwere or Willoughby, Dolson, Han, Johannes, Richards. (I'll guess that Kolb can trade Onyenwere or Willoughby for a second-round pick.)

Kone if somehow the new deals allow for a 12th player.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
So it's down to two choices for Breanna Stewart and February 1st is coming soon.

Hoping for this new starting lineup: Laney, Stewart, Jones, Ionescu, and Johannes. On the bench: Thornton, Willoughby, Onyenwere, Dolson, Han, Richards, and Kone. (If New York can afford 12 players.) Or it could be Thornton starting and Johannes coming off the bench.

Wondering, whether Stewart comes to New York or doesn't, if Kolb has more moves in mind. Signing another free agent? (Vandersloot or another guard?) Making another trade? (I'd like to see Dangerfield back.)

I'm excited about this season with or without Stewart. But hoping it's "with."

I'd desperately try to unload Dolson if I were Kolb. Especially if he brings in Stewart. Free up that 160k and replace her with younger bench players.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/29/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'd desperately try to unload Dolson if I were Kolb. Especially if he brings in Stewart. Free up that 160k and replace her with younger bench players.

I wonder if Kolb has already been trying to trade Dolson. Or if he will if Stewart signs with New York. A couple of weeks ago I said here that I felt it would be hard to get a trade partner for Dolson. In response, people strongly disagreed and perhaps they'll be proven right.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the thing is that everyone knows that if the Liberty want to go for both Stewart and Vandersloot, they need to dump a large salary, either Betnijah Laney or Stefanie Dolson. And since everyone knows that, prospective trade partners know that they can demand a high price to take on that contract, because not taking on that contract blocks the Liberty from making the moves they want to make.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Liberty still have their 2024 & 2025 1RPs; they’ll be able to package one of those. Yeah, it might be wise to keep both if the title contention window ultimately lasts just this year, but if selling one is what it takes to force that window all the way open, I’d think ya gotta do it. There are plenty of other potential throw-ins this team possesses, too.

Or hey, maybe two or more teams want either Dolson or Laney and are actually willing to bet against each other enough to make it a non-dump deal. Dolson is fairly durable any given year, including last year. Laney finished last season healthy and to my knowledge is currently healthy, and she’s become pretty productive when she is. Only the GMs know for sure at this point if they have real value or not.

The Liberty have 8 signed, and $426k in cap space. You get Sloo & Stew to each sign for $25k below reg max at $177k each (or some sum totaling the $354k doubled), you have enough space to sign a vet at vet min. No dumping necessary. They might go for it if they think Dolson & Laney are worth keeping. Even if they don’t necessarily care, they might sign for cheaper anyway, then I suppose ya let teams know you’re shopping Dolson/Laney but that you’re genuinely open to keeping them. Probably not super realistic, but I just felt like putting it out there anyway.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
And the Liberty still have their 2024 & 2025 1RPs; they’ll be able to package one of those. Yeah, it might be wise to keep both if the title contention window ultimately lasts just this year, but if selling one is what it takes to force that window all the way open, I’d think ya gotta do it. There are plenty of other potential throw-ins this team possesses, too.

This is an excellent point. Especially since the hope would be that New York would be a championship contender this year and ideally beyond. If so, then their upcoming first-round picks wouldn't be as desirable.

I say that if Stewart is coming to the Liberty--and, even more, if both Stewart and Vandersloot are coming--Kolb has to be "all in" right now. Whatever that means. Sure, even if they both come, even if they can hold onto Laney and Dolson, there will be no easy path to the 2023 WNBA championship. But they'll be genuine contenders and you've got to go for it. Especially as a franchise that's had some great history but never won it all.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Dolson is a hard trade the good news Dolson's game fits nicely with both Stewart and Jones, Dolson is really good at doing the blue collar stuff stars don't like to do, has the range to get out of the way on offense, isn't the type of player to pout if she is dropped to 15-20 minutes a night and Han Xu is still young enough that if J. Jones plays the PF spot sometimes or we go with very big line ups with Stewart at the SF spot on occasion and J. Jones and Stewart get some load management in possible blow outs there is still minutes for the four of them

Also if Johannes, and Han Xu show up and Kone is brought in and two of Willoughby, Richards and Onyenwere hang around we have enough young people on the bench IMO

I still kind of hope Sloot and Stewart end up choosing Seattle just because I like parity but if they do show up we do not really have to do anything else to be serious contenders

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Richards
Laney/Thorton/Willoughby or Onyenwere
Stewart/Kone
JJ/Dolson/Han Xu

is more than enough, and if we can only go with 11 we probably have to choose one of Richards, Willoughby and Onyewere but even still more than enough talent and bench IMO

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I still kind of hope Sloot and Stewart end up choosing Seattle just because I like parity but if they do show up we do not really have to do anything else to be serious contenders

Parity??? Can't we win at least one WNBA championship in New York (I'd say at least three!) before we start placing the highest value on parity? Smile

And do you think we're guaranteed the 2023 WNBA title if Stewart and Vandersloot indeed sign with the Liberty? I don't. I say we'd be a serious contender, but no guarantees of beating the Aces or other dangerous teams in a playoff series.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Parity??? Can't we win at least one WNBA championship in New York (I'd say at least three!) before we start placing the highest value on parity? Smile

And do you think we're guaranteed the 2023 WNBA title if Stewart and Vandersloot indeed sign with the Liberty? I don't. I say we'd be a serious contender, but no guarantees of beating the Aces or other dangerous teams in a playoff series.

Not a Guarantee but if Sloot and Stewart join our current roster we have more than enough, our top 8 is a championship team but there will be some competitors out there. Or maybe I have just been a Liberty fan a little too long and a huge amount of talent on the roster somehow seems vulgar.

I could be an optimist but I think we have enough to contend without Sloot and Stewart.

Ionescu and J. Jones are a great 1/2 punch, Laney is the perfect 3rd option, Thorton and Dolson give you blue collar vets that fit with stars, Johannes and Han Xu give you exciting wild cards x-factors, after watching her at worlds if Kone is on the roster I think she will take people by surprise and Richards, Willoughby and Onyenwere all have decent W rotational player potential and Brondello is a really good coach. If I was making a small adjustment I would bring back Dangerfield or L. Allen to give that steady back up PG energy.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here is a fun controversial idea what if Sloot goes to Seattle Stewart still comes to NY and convinces her buddy Taurasi to go for one last ship with her in the big apple (j/k mostly, however I think Taurasi will be loyal to PX and Griner so it really isn't an option).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/30/23 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, J-Spoon, if a "huge amount of talent" on the New York Liberty roster seems "vulgar," I say BRING IT ON!!! Let's be vulgar!!! Do Aces' fans feel vulgar about Candace Parker joining their 2022 championship roster? I wouldn't. Smile

PostPosted: 01/30/23 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.netsdaily.com/2023/1/28/23572110/breanna-stewart-ny-liberty-free-agent-wnba-clara-tsai-sandy-brondello-jonathan-kolb-vandersloot

Some pictures of Clara, Brondello, et al meeting Stewart in Istanbul.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: