RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/15/22 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault steps down as Mystics coach with his son Eric taking over

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/15/mike-thibault-retires-mystics-coach/

Quote:
Thibault knew even before fully understanding — his days on the bench were numbered.

PostPosted: 11/15/22 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I guess we always knew this would happen. Excited to see what Eric can achieve. I don't have much problem with the nepotism here as it seems like he has paid his dues behind is father. I actually kind of wish there were more examples in the W of retiring head coaches passing the reigns to their tenured assistant.

Selfishly, I wish he had taken a HC position elsewhere to compete against his dad, but alas, not meant to be.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/15/22 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The history of coaching sons following their fathers is not encouraging

PostPosted: 11/15/22 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"LaToya Sanders has been elevated to Associate Head Coach!

LaToya, who spent 4 seasons with us as a player and was an integral part of our 2019 Championship, joined the staff in 2020 as part of the player development group before being elevated to Assistant Coach in 2021."

https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/1592608496079360000

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/15/22 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am less than sanguine about one of the relatively small number of WNBA head coaching jobs going to someone whose coaching experience consists of one year as a graduate assistant, one year as a recruiting coordinator, and then working for his dad. I might have felt differently if he were the designated successor to someone who wasn’t his dad, but the nepotism grates at me.

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's not a health issue for Mike. Lots of respect there.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/16/22 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I am less than sanguine about one of the relatively small number of WNBA head coaching jobs going to someone whose coaching experience consists of one year as a graduate assistant, one year as a recruiting coordinator, and then working his dad. I might have felt differently if he were the designated successor to someone who wasn’t his dad, but the nepotism grates at me.

We shall see if he has the coaching chops of his dad. There are so many qualities that go into being a good coach. Knowing the players. Identifying and teaching the plays that make best use of the talent. Calling the right plays. Having the right combination of players on the floor. Glad Mike T will stay on to teach his biggest strength: building a team of complementary players. His teams have always had high character players and zero fist fights in the lockerroom. All good martial artists know to only fight when you have to. Mike T teams are full of players who know when to walk away and save the fighting for legal play on the floor. I expect the character of the team to continue for the forseeable future. And yes, that means players like Courtney, Chennedy and Skylar will not be in a Mystics jersey. And if Cappie were still playing, she wouldn't be a Mystic either.

~rAf
ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/16/22 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

As the WP article said, it’s a heath issue for his wife Nancy.☹️

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
myrtle wrote:

As the WP article said, it’s a heath issue for his wife Nancy.☹️

thanks for the clarification. The WP article is not available to me so I appreciate that. Wishing the family the best as they deal with whatever comes up.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/17/22 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mike Thibault steps down as Mystics coach with his son Eric taking over

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/15/mike-thibault-retires-mystics-coach/

Quote:
Thibault knew even before fully understanding — his days on the bench were numbered.

https://youtu.be/y5W0SNfcB4E

YouTube video Mike, Eric, Maria. Lots of smiles, lot of thank yous.

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Rachel Galligan Winsidr:

The Washington Mystics extended Qualifying Offers to Rui Machida, Jazmine Jones, and Evina Westbrook.

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1614150352085057538

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Can confirm Mystics have reached an agreement with guard Brittney Sykes, according to person w knowledge of the decision. (Howard Megdal first). Mystics continue to load up on D as Sykes was all-defense in 2020 (2nd team), 2021 (1st) and 2022 (2nd). 15.8 ppg w the Sparks in 2022. Mystics get a little bit of versatility with the 5-9 guard. Can play her 1 through 3. Can create off the dribble, but hopes are she can improve on a career 28.9 3-point percentage.

Deal will be a multi-year deal. With the Mystics signing Brittney Sykes, sounds like Alysha Clark will not be returning to the Mystics. Nothing's official until Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1619820252669349888

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very curious to see what the EDD situation is for 2023. Clearly Washington is being aggressive with FA. I'm curious to see what they put on the court this season and how competitive they are and how integral EDD is to their offense or if she'll have a similar workload as last season. I just hope, for the sake of the fans, they are more strategic and mindful of national TV games when it comes to resting EDD.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/29/23 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm very curious to see what the EDD situation is for 2023. Clearly Washington is being aggressive with FA. I'm curious to see what they put on the court this season and how competitive they are and how integral EDD is to their offense or if she'll have a similar workload as last season. I just hope, for the sake of the fans, they are more strategic and mindful of national TV games when it comes to resting EDD.

Elena Delle Donne
https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/1617894008998727680

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/29/23 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Sykes will be moving Atkins or Cloud out of the Mystics starting line-up this upcoming season, Mike Thibault must have another player he's going to sign to be a starter at the small forward position or bring back Clark.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I don't think Sykes will be moving Atkins or Cloud out of the Mystics starting line-up this upcoming season, Mike Thibault must have another player he's going to sign to be a starter at the small forward position or bring back Clark.

Reports are that Clark is heading to Vegas.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Elena Delle Donne

I blocked Twitter on my phone. Can you tell me what the tweet says?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Elena Delle Donne

It’s a video of EDD working out on the court

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Elena Delle Donne

It’s a video of EDD working out on the court

Thank you..I hope she's very healthy and able to play to her full ability. I don't mind them resting her but felt like they made some odd choices on which games to do it in last season.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/30/23 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

you can play all three together Cloud is big for a PG Sykes is small for a SF it kind of evens out

there may be others moves but something like

Cloud/Macida
Atkins/Jaz. Jones/Westbrook
Sykes/#4 (H. Jones, Joens or Jackson)
EDD/MHA/(? $20 , camp invite, vet minimums Hawkins, Billings, Harrison)
Austin/(? Maybe E. Will)

If Chicago is imploding maybe go with 11 and see if you can go 4 posts scrape together enough cap to bring back Meesseman?

wnbafan

PostPosted: 01/30/23 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

you can play all three together Cloud is big for a PG Sykes is small for a SF it kind of evens out

Cloud/Macida
Austin/(? Maybe E. Will)

If Chicago is imploding maybe go with 11 and see if you can go 4 posts scrape together enough cap to bring back Meesseman?

Meesseman is a risk because of prioritization.

I really hope they don't sign Machida again. We need a taller, stronger back up point.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
I really hope they don't sign Machida again. We need a taller, stronger back up point.

At 5'6, Shyla Heal is a full 2" taller than Machida.

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: 01/30/23 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Cloud/Macida
Austin/(? Maybe E. Will)

Meesseman is a risk because of prioritization.

Mike T. has said time and time again this off season the Mystics need better perimeter shooting from the small forward imo Sykes isn't a good enough 3 point shooter. Ashley Joens might be who the Mystics are looking for at the 4th pick. By the way, I think Sykes and Westbrook makes it harder for Machida to make the Mystics team this upcoming season.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/30/23 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

generally speaking, what about christyn williams...

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/30/23 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
generally speaking, what about christyn williams...

I haven't seen anywhere the Mystics signing Christyn Williams to a training camp contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: