Walker-Kimbrough $74,305
2023 lottery pick $74,305
Machida $62,285
ChrWilliams $62,285
Westbrook $62,285
5 roster fillers $335,465

$237,001
$-74,305 EWill or comparable
$162,696 left over for Clark. Not an unfair price.

We need more than Clark gave us this season. Period. Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook or if we're lucky Haley Jones from the draft. Maybe another tall two way player if Haley gets snatched up before our pick. But if we get pick 3, this is the year to trade up to get Haley at pick 2. Trading down this year to get Shakira instead of Rhyne was a good move and got us a lotto pick. Totally approve. We absolutely needed Shakira's height and energy and now that we have that, we need a Rhyne clone.

Man, I would be nervous hoping for scoring outside the paint if you want Haley Jones. She's a great college player, but she can't shoot outside the paint against that level of competition, I think it'll be harder for her in the W. She's a dynamic player in all other facets offensively, but she is just not a shooter.

Valid point. I liken Haley Jones to Nalyssa Smith, another dynamic college player who lacked an outside shot. I suggest that Haley focus on her shot as Nalyssa did before playing in the W. Despite NaLyssa not having much opportunity in her college system to shoot from outside, she focused on her shot in her training and was ready to shoot when she got to the W. NaLyssa had an excellent rookie year on a bad team but she helped convert a previously unwatchablely bad team into a team that was fun to watch due to her dynamic play, which now includes a reliable outside shot.

What Haley can already do is exploit the gaps when EDD is swarmed. If she adds a more reliable outside shot to her mix, that would make her even more dangerous.

If Shakira also chooses to focus on her shooting in the off season, that would help even more than merely adding Haley. Now, Shakira's game is completely different from EDD, who has been honing her shooting skill since she was a wee child. But they are the same height, which does mean they have a similar opportunity to shoot over most players in the paint. Shakira's game is all about high energy. But like every speedy guard, she can benefit from learning how to harness that energy with change of pace and studying angles.

Two guards I'm thinking of are not necessarily the speediest guards, but are two of the most successful guards who did not have great foot speed - Becky Hammon and Lindsay Whalen. Both of these players used change of pace and supreme focus on shooting angles in the crowded paint. With Shakira's length and long arms, I can see her having similar success, with the advantage of her height giving her additional angles Becky and Lindsay did not have. EDD does this several times every game and I see no reason that Shakira cannot learn how to turn the many opportunities she gets into made baskets. Shakira is already a surprise force on defense. If she can also become a reliable scorer on broken plays, the Mystics become a much more dangerous team.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault reiterates changes coming to the Mystics line-up in 2023. Also, Myisha Hines Allen having surgery.

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Thibault reiterates, Mystics need to be better offensively, including shooting from 3, and cannot go into next season with the same roster. It's a good roster, a playoff roster, but still not good enough.[b]

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1567517469434171392

[b]Mystics coach Mike Thibault says Myisha Hines-Allen is having partial patella tendon repair surgery this week. Same knee that bothered her last year continued to be an issue this year. Decided now was the right time to get it done, hence not going to Team USA camp.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1567515474681798656

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK if Washington gets the #4 pick and PX is in a rebuild

#4 pick for Cunningham (sign and trade)

Sophie is a great 3 point shooter, could be slotted in at the starting SF spot between Atkins and EDD and could continue her breakout season in the 2nd half of 22. Win now but also opens the window for the future with Atkins and Austin.

do it, or don't do it?

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/10/22 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Sophie is a great 3 point shooter, could be slotted in at the starting SF spot between Atkins and EDD and could continue her breakout season in the 2nd half of 22. Win now but also opens the window for the future with Atkins and Austin.

do it, or don't do it?

PHX has really embraced Sophie, and the social media push she got this season as a result makes me think we will do everything in our power to keep her in uniform.

That being said, she would make sense for Washington.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/10/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

do it, or don't do it?

PHX has really embraced Sophie, and the social media push she got this season as a result makes me think we will do everything in our power to keep her in uniform.

Phoenix's rebuild should start with Turner and Cunningham though.

PostPosted: 09/10/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

do it, or don't do it?

I'm thinking Mike Thibault will keep the 2023 Lottery Pick and try to sign a free agent like Breanna Stewart or Emma Meesseman.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/22 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

do it, or don't do it?

I'm thinking Mike Thibault will keep the 2023 Lottery Pick and try to sign a free agent like Breanna Stewart or Emma Meesseman.

yeah that is a better plan keep the lottery pick to develop with Austin and make the win now move of bringing back Meesseman (or Stewart though my gut says she stays in Seattle and my homerism says she goes to NY).

wnbafan

PostPosted: 09/11/22 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

do it, or don't do it?

I would love for Emma to come back but do we really need another big? I think we need a big strong wing or a back up PG. Hopefully the Machida experiment doesn't go into year 2.

PostPosted: 09/11/22 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington should trade Hines-Allen for a wing/shooter...Then sign Emma

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/13/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i believe Mike Thibault will make a surprising free agent signing and/or trade this off season. I can see one of Meesseman, Stewart or Diggins-Smith in play for the Mystics.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/13/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering how Mike will manage EDD's playing time going forward? She's had some bad luck with her injury and illness her whole career, sadly. Not sure if the paired back schedule helped the team this post season, especially since they got stuck starting on the road.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I'm wondering how Mike will manage EDD's playing time going forward? She's had some bad luck with her injury and illness her whole career, sadly. Not sure if the paired back schedule helped the team this post season, especially since they got stuck starting on the road.

I believe it was 11 off games this season. I'm guessing Thibault will go back to the original plan which was 5 to 6 games.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
i believe Mike Thibault will make a surprising free agent signing and/or trade this off season. I can see one of Meesseman, Stewart or Diggins-Smith in play for the Mystics.

Great. Big. NO. To. Diggins-Smith. Let the joy of Shakira be what defines this team, not the scowling and bad mouthing of SDS. Let's get PG help from anywhere else but her.

Lacks of this team: Big scoring wing, PG back up, EDD back up. The players that came up short were Alysha Clark and Myisha Hines-Allen, both hampered by injury from competing at their best, along with the obvious Rui Machida. I'd watch the off season progression of Clark and MHA very closely to see if either is likely to provide more next season. We can only fix one hole with the lotto pick but could address the other two with free agency and/or trades.

I honestly don't believe Tasha needs to be replaced. She needs more from 3,4,5 positions. I expect Shakira to play at a whole other level and Mike T will design some plays to take advantage of our energizer bunny.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Great. Big. NO. To. Diggins-Smith. Let the joy of Shakira be what defines this team, not the scowling and bad mouthing of SDS. Let's get PG help from anywhere else but her.

Lacks of this team: Big scoring wing, PG back up, EDD back up. The players that came up short were Alysha Clark and Myisha Hines-Allen, both hampered by injury from competing at their best, along with the obvious Rui Machida. I'd watch the off season progression of Clark and MHA very closely to see if either is likely to provide more next season. We can only fix one hole with the lotto pick but could address the other two with free agency and/or trades.

I honestly don't believe Tasha needs to be replaced. She needs more from 3,4,5 positions. I expect Shakira to play at a whole other level and Mike T will design some plays to take advantage of our energizer bunny.

I don't see Clark being back with the Mystics unless she takes a massive pay cut down from her 2022 salary $183K

Katie Benzan has taken a job with the Utah Jazz Front Office. I don't know if this means the end of her professional playing career or she'll still have the itch when WNBA season rolls around again, the Mystics should give Katie a call for training camp.

I'm excited to announce that I'll be joining the Utah Jazz front office as Basketball Operations Generalist! I can't wait to get started in Salt Lake City!

https://twitter.com/katiekbenz/status/1552669654774173696

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/20/22 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Ariel Atkins and Shakira Austin for being named to the USA Women's World Cup 2022 team!

Of note, Shakira beat out Aliyah Boston for the spot. Also ROY Rhyne Howard was not on the final roster. Pretty clear that the combo of Shakira's height and constant motor influenced the final decision, as Head Coach Cheryl Reeves had stated emphasis on this quality.

All of this speaks to how right Mike T was to trade down to pick up Shakira this year. Also suggests that her season with the Mystics has developed Shakira into a premiere post player. Despite Rhyne Howard's predicted ROY performance, Shakira Austin was the player the Mystics needed. And the Mystics got a lotto pick for this coming season out of the deal!

~rAf
greg5222

PostPosted: 09/20/22 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Congrats to Ariel Atkins and Shakira Austin for being named to the USA Women's World Cup 2022 team!

Of note, Shakira beat out Aliyah Boston for the spot. Also ROY Rhyne Howard was not on the final roster. Pretty clear that the combo of Shakira's height and constant motor influenced the final decision, as Head Coach Cheryl Reeves had stated emphasis on this quality.

All of this speaks to how right Mike T was to trade down to pick up Shakira this year. Also suggests that her season with the Mystics has developed Shakira into a premiere post player. Despite Rhyne Howard's predicted ROY performance, Shakira Austin was the player the Mystics needed. And the Mystics got a lotto pick for this coming season out of the deal!

Great News!!!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 09/27/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing Kang from Korea on next year's roster...

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/03/22 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/solidcore-named-official-offseason-workout-120000411.html

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/05/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-mystics/rui-machida-wants-continue-playing-wnba

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/05/22 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thibault seems to be saying to Machida no shot no play.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/05/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Thibault seems to be saying to Machida no shot no play.

What he actually said was he has to see her taking (& making) more shots to stay in the league. In the Japanese League and for her national team, they're set up for her to simply set up her teammates. But, especially since she's not an aggressive defender, in the WNBA, you have to be a threat to score to earn a roster spot and playing time. We'll see if she can work on scoring more while playing in a league that doesn't need her to score much. It would require her to spend MANY hours working on her own. We'll see if she's willing/able to do that.

I do think it's more likely that the Mystics move on without her. But the biggest hole the Mystics had was scoring from the 3 & 4 spots (when EDD wasn't playing). They did fill the most ginormous hole by trading down to get Shakira, who greatly overperformed in her rookie season. Now time to move to fill the next biggest hole - wing scoring. Plus, now that they know more of what Shakira can do, draw up some plays to use her more. Making the World Cup team put her confidence at its' highest level.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/07/22 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Introducing the Nike Air Deldon ‘Lyme.’

https://twitter.com/nikebasketball/status/1578038695399411718[/b]

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/12/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so who do we want with the #4 pick. Assuming Haley Jones will be snapped up by pick 3, at the latest.

We need 3 pt shooting and back up PG (sorry Rui) who can and will shoot the rock, in addition to being ready,willing and able to defend at Mystics level.

I'll be following Owusu's season closely. If she returns to the level of her first two years, I might just want to pick her at #4. Hopefully, a year at Virginia Tech with Coach Kenny Brooks will get her out of last year's funk. As VT already has an excellent PG in Amoore, Owusu will get more minutes at wing, then back up PG, unless she greatly outperforms Amoore in her PG minutes. But having a wing who can back up Tasha would be nice.

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/13/22 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Okay, so who do we want with the #4 pick. Assuming Haley Jones will be snapped up by pick 3, at the latest.

We need 3 pt shooting and back up PG (sorry Rui) who can and will shoot the rock, in addition to being ready,willing and able to defend at Mystics level.

I'll be following Owusu's season closely. If she returns to the level of her first two years, I might just want to pick her at #4. Hopefully, a year at Virginia Tech with Coach Kenny Brooks will get her out of last year's funk. As VT already has an excellent PG in Amoore, Owusu will get more minutes at wing, then back up PG, unless she greatly outperforms Amoore in her PG minutes. But having a wing who can back up Tasha would be nice.

Admittedly, I follow the Mystics and Terps so I really don't know all the talent coming in to the draft, but in the SC vs. MD game last Friday, I was impressed with Zia Cooke. What do you think about her?

I would be happy with Owusu.

PostPosted: 11/13/22 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Admittedly, I follow the Mystics and Terps so I really don't know all the talent coming in to the draft, but in the SC vs. MD game last Friday, I was impressed with Zia Cooke. What do you think about her?

I would be happy with Owusu.

Zia Cooke has been solid throughout her SC career. I would be fine with her as the pick. Any player they consider, the 3 pt% has to be a major consideration, especially if they can fill the back up PG with a free agent. That said, I haven't looked at 3 pt% comparisons for the top backcourt players yet. If looking for a rebounding backcourt player, Asheley Joens has to be considered.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: