RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2023
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/21/22 4:55 pm    ::: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Almost... again... Confused

They again showed they had enough to win it all, but maybe they need more than enough... Overloaded, not just loaded... Who should they add? Or just everyone become better and stand?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/21/22 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have a lottery pick if they do not get the #1 pick this could be a very nice landing spot for Hayley Jones

Cloud, Atkins, Jones, EDD, Austin seems like a win now and in the future type of squad

Hold onto Clark, SWK, and MHA for veteran bench support

And figure out a back PG and back up big from the waiver wire or vet minimum contract if you don’t like what you already have

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/21/22 5:10 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

They again showed they had enough to win it all, but maybe they need more than enough... Overloaded, not just loaded... Who should they add? Or just everyone become better and stand?

Until they can get EDD 100% they won’t win another title. As good she’s looked, she’s still not at her absolute best.

You won’t find a better perimeter defensive trio than Cloud, Atkins and Clark, but maybe a change is needed? 🤔

The biggest need for the Styx is a reliable post option. MHA took a step back, Austin is young, but talented. EWill, well this is probably the best you’re gonna get from her.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/21/22 6:35 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Until they can get EDD 100% they won’t win another title. As good she’s looked, she’s still not at her absolute best.

You won’t find a better perimeter defensive trio than Cloud, Atkins and Clark, but maybe a change is needed? 🤔

The biggest need for the Styx is a reliable post option. MHA took a step back, Austin is young, but talented. EWill, well this is probably the best you’re gonna get from her.

If they get lucky and get the number one pick would they draft Boston?🤔

PostPosted: 08/21/22 6:47 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

They should, Boston > Austin 😎

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/21/22 7:09 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Will EDD ever be 100% again?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/22/22 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
They have a lottery pick if they do not get the #1 pick this could be a very nice landing spot for Hayley Jones

Cloud, Atkins, Jones, EDD, Austin seems like a win now and in the future type of squad

And figure out a back PG and back up big from the waiver wire or vet minimum contract if you don’t like what you already have

Haley Jones would be a perfect fit!!! If we get 2nd or 3rd pick, that's who I'd choose.

Rui's game did not translate well to the W, unfortunately. Picking up a back up PG in free agency would be great.

We'll have to see how EDD's back does between seasons. This season might be the best we can ever get and it wasn't enough. However, she had a great game 1 and it's unfortunate the officials gave that game to Seattle. Then Seattle instituted a swarm defense on EDD and the Mystics had nobody who could make them pay for it. That's exactly where Haley Jones fits in. I see Haley and Aliyah Boston as having seasons like Rhyne and Shakira did this year - lifting their teams up a whole order of magnitude.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/22/22 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Haley Jones would be a perfect fit!!! If we get 2nd or 3rd pick, that's who I'd choose.

Rui's game did not translate well to the W, unfortunately. Picking up a back up PG in free agency would be great.

We'll have to see how EDD's back does between seasons. This season might be the best we can ever get and it wasn't enough. However, she had a great game 1 and it's unfortunate the officials gave that game to Seattle. Then Seattle instituted a swarm defense on EDD and the Mystics had nobody who could make them pay for it. That's exactly where Haley Jones fits in. I see Haley and Aliyah Boston as having seasons like Rhyne and Shakira did this year - lifting their teams up a whole order of magnitude.

Quote:
Then Seattle instituted a swarm defense on EDD and the Mystics had nobody who could make them pay for it

Nobody? Cloud had 21 pts including 5 threepointers because of double teaming EDD. Atkins had 15 and they had in total 5 players in double figures. Normally that would be enough to win games. Seattle is just a better team with more firepower.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
greg5222

PostPosted: 08/22/22 9:07 am    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

If they get lucky and get the number one pick would they draft Boston?

No brainer. YES!!!!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/22/22 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics need more offense from the backup PG and from the SF position. I loved rooting for Rui, but she's too much of a liability on offense. I honestly think Katie Benzan might have been more useful.

It will be interesting to see what Clark does. I think her contract is up, but it just seemed like she was starting to round into form from her injury. It will also be interesting to see whether Shatori Walker-Kimbrough or Tianna Hawkins are back. IMO, there needs to be more offense in the backcourt -- Atkins (who continues to be wildly underappreciated, IMO) can't do it all, and Tasha is at her best distributing and shooting when she's on the court with four other potent offensive threats.

EDD will be 33 next year. I think Thibault will do a good job of maximizing her abilities while also planning for the future. Healthy or not, she won't be around forever.

Still can't believe this team gets a lottery pick next year. Lots to be excited about, even if this finish to this season was disappointing.

And1

PostPosted: 08/22/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
The Mystics need more offense from the backup PG and from the SF position. I loved rooting for Rui, but she's too much of a liability on offense. I honestly think Katie Benzan might have been more useful.

It will be interesting to see what Clark does. I think her contract is up, but it just seemed like she was starting to round into form from her injury. It will also be interesting to see whether Shatori Walker-Kimbrough or Tianna Hawkins are back. IMO, there needs to be more offense in the backcourt -- Atkins (who continues to be wildly underappreciated, IMO) can't do it all, and Tasha is at her best distributing and shooting when she's on the court with four other potent offensive threats.

EDD will be 33 next year. I think Thibault will do a good job of maximizing her abilities while also planning for the future. Healthy or not, she won't be around forever.

Still can't believe this team gets a lottery pick next year. Lots to be excited about, even if this finish to this season was disappointing.

I think they should keep everyone except Hawkins and Machida. Getting the lottery pick in that trade was a masterclass move by Thibault, and they could very well end up with Boston or Jones. Depending on which they get, I can see either Elizabeth Williams or Alysha Clark not returning, although I'd love to see Clark back. Austin's development will be very important in the off season and I see her having a breakout year next season. Christyn Williams could be back as a rookie and would compete with Evina Westbrook for a spot.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/22/22 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

I think they should keep everyone except Hawkins and Machida. Getting the lottery pick in that trade was a masterclass move by Thibault, and they could very well end up with Boston or Jones. Depending on which they get, I can see either Elizabeth Williams or Alysha Clark not returning, although I'd love to see Clark back. Austin's development will be very important in the off season and I see her having a breakout year next season. Christyn Williams could be back as a rookie and would compete with Evina Westbrook for a spot.

Biggest diappointments for me were THawk and Clark. If Clark just needed more time to recover completely, I'd keep her if she continues her recovery in the off season. I'd keep EWill. She was useful in backing up Shakira, but most importantly in developing Shakira's already awesome defense. I think Shakira can work with EDD on getting her shot in traffic by slowing down and keeping balanced as they are the same height.

I wasn't expecting much from Machida, so not so disappointed. Yes, we do need a back up PG who can contribute more on both sides of the floor. A worthy experiment that didn't totally fail.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/22/22 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Quote:
Then Seattle instituted a swarm defense on EDD and the Mystics had nobody who could make them pay for it

Nobody? Cloud had 21 pts including 5 threepointers because of double teaming EDD. Atkins had 15 and they had in total 5 players in double figures. Normally that would be enough to win games. Seattle is just a better team with more firepower.

We got no offense from the SF spot. Yes, Tasha and Ariel did what they do and it wasn't enough. We need a SF like Rhyne or Haley Jones who will go inside and out to make them pay. I'm not at all upset that Mike T made the deal to get Shakira instead of Rhyne as having a BIG was a much greater need. But now that we have Shakira, highest need switches to SF. Alysha Clark, for whatever reason, was not able to provide the offense desperately needed from that spot.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/23/22 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Quote:

We got no offense from the SF spot. Yes, Tasha and Ariel did what they do and it wasn't enough. We need a SF like Rhyne or Haley Jones who will go inside and out to make them pay. I'm not at all upset that Mike T made the deal to get Shakira instead of Rhyne as having a BIG was a much greater need. But now that we have Shakira, highest need switches to SF. Alysha Clark, for whatever reason, was not able to provide the offense desperately needed from that spot.

AC is coming of an major injury. She needs time to get back and even then she will always be the ultimate role player. Not someone who will give you 14 pts a night. But if she can get back to the role that she had with Storm then that would be enough offense out of your 3 position IMO.
I think Atkins can improve even more. I think Loyd showed her what Atkins can be for the Mystics and in support for EDD.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/23/22 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Clark wants to be just a role player, she can come off the bench after we get a starting SF who can score. When the defense is double/triple teaming our star, we need players who see a green light to score, score, score.

Looking again at the box score, I hadn't realized Shakira scored zero baskets. She will have to work on that HARD because that is not acceptable.

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/23/22 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
If Clark wants to be just a role player, she can come off the bench after we get a starting SF who can score.

Clark would be a very expensive bench/role player.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

AC is coming of an major injury. She needs time to get back and even then she will always be the ultimate role player. Not someone who will give you 14 pts a night. But if she can get back to the role that she had with Storm then that would be enough offense out of your 3 position IMO.

totally agree. Being back enough to play again is one thing but getting back into true WNBA shape is much more difficult and time consuming. She was fabulous in Seattle as a player who could support the superstar, especially as 3 and D player and could definitely become that again. She is a solid starter.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Alysha made $185K this year. I don't think a bench player will warrant that kind of money. She also turns 35 next season (how is that possible, it seems like she was at MTSU like five years ago, aaaaah).

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/23/22 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

totally agree. Being back enough to play again is one thing but getting back into true WNBA shape is much more difficult and time consuming. She was fabulous in Seattle as a player who could support the superstar, especially as 3 and D player and could definitely become that again. She is a solid starter.

As I have clearly stated, watch her progress CLOSELY in the off season but prepare to not have her at 100% again. Scoring from the SF position was our biggest hole, so it needs to be fixed if we want to go further.

I also suggest the Myisha get a life coach who can teach her how to get herself in rhythm faster after a setback. Every time she gets rolling, she gets injured - ot in this case catches Covid - and is not the same player at all for a few games. These games were the biggest games of the season. It's also possible she just didn't have the stamina yet following Covid. Bad timing.

~rAf
craigmont

PostPosted: 08/23/22 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been curious about Clark's production this year vs. Seattle's 2018 and 2020 championship seasons.

https://www.wnba.com/player/alysha-clark/

Percentages are down slightly, more so for 3P. 10 more made threes would have put her in her normal range, giving the Mystics 30 more points over the course of the season. 3P could be attributed to the year off, or a different offensive flow from Seattle's.

In DC, EDD, Atkins and Cloud are the main shot-takers. Clark is good for open threes on the backside and post ups against a smaller player, (same role she had in SEA) but a more offensive-minded SF would take shots away from the top 3.

I'm a huge AC fan and she was super-important to SEA's 2 title runs, but I wouldn't trade our SF tandem Gabby Williams and Steph Talbot for her right now.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's true I didn't realize she is 35 Shocked How can she have been so long in the league? But I still think this was a anomalous year. I think she missed the first several games of the year, and vaguely remember an interview with her when she first started playing and that she felt like she was just re-learning how to move and was way less than 100%. Theoretically with the type of game she has, I think she could be quite effective for several more years.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne
Cloud
Hines-Allen
Atkins

Austin

That’s your locked in core at $848,034
Leaves you with $572,466 to spend on min 6 players

Walker-Kimbrough $74,305
2023 lottery pick $74,305
Machida $62,285
ChrWilliams $62,285
Westbrook $62,285
5 roster fillers $335,465

$237,001
$-74,305 EWill or comparable
$162,696 left over for Clark. Not an unfair price.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/26/22 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Delle Donne
Cloud
Hines-Allen
Atkins

Austin

Walker-Kimbrough $74,305
Machida $62,285
ChrWilliams $62,285
Westbrook $62,285

$237,001

We need more than Clark gave us this season. Period. Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook or if we're lucky Haley Jones from the draft. Maybe another tall two way player if Haley gets snatched up before our pick. But if we get pick 3, this is the year to trade up to get Haley at pick 2. Trading down this year to get Shakira instead of Rhyne was a good move and got us a lotto pick. Totally approve. We absolutely needed Shakira's height and energy and now that we have that, we need a Rhyne clone.

~rAf
undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/26/22 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond Miller would look good in a Mystics jersey.

PostPosted: 08/27/22 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Delle Donne
Cloud
Hines-Allen
Atkins

Austin

Walker-Kimbrough $74,305
Machida $62,285
ChrWilliams $62,285
Westbrook $62,285

$237,001

We need more than Clark gave us this season. Period. Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook or if we're lucky Haley Jones from the draft. Maybe another tall two way player if Haley gets snatched up before our pick. But if we get pick 3, this is the year to trade up to get Haley at pick 2. Trading down this year to get Shakira instead of Rhyne was a good move and got us a lotto pick. Totally approve. We absolutely needed Shakira's height and energy and now that we have that, we need a Rhyne clone.

Man, I would be nervous hoping for scoring outside the paint if you want Haley Jones. She's a great college player, but she can't shoot outside the paint against that level of competition, I think it'll be harder for her in the W. She's a dynamic player in all other facets offensively, but she is just not a shooter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: