Phoenix Mercury 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/06/22 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/NickKingSports/status/1589027762379325440

Quote:
40-year-old Diana Taurasi (who is a free agent) says she's coming back for Year 19 in Phoenix.

"You know, I started working out, so, the minute I start working out, that means I'm all in. ... I'm ready to bring another championship here."

Glad to hear. I have no idea what PHX will put together this year but if this is her last year, I hope it's respectable.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/06/22 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Side-question is whether she's willing to copy her old friend Sue and play for the minimum, because Phoenix really need the space to go shopping for some help. If she wants the max again, and with Diggins-Smith potentially missing time and/or more difficult to trade (and with them maybe wanting to retain space for Griner, just in case?) it could be hard to get any better than last year.

PostPosted: 11/08/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Side-question is whether she's willing to copy her old friend Sue and play for the minimum, because Phoenix really need the space to go shopping for some help. If she wants the max again, and with Diggins-Smith potentially missing time and/or more difficult to trade (and with them maybe wanting to retain space for Griner, just in case?) it could be hard to get any better than last year.

Mercury should be trying to retain space for BG. After being incarcerated for all this time, she will definitely need time to recover. I don’t think she will be playing when she is released. If they want to win now, they will probably have to practically bring in a whole new team and add more depth at her position because she hasn’t played an entire season in years. There will definitely need to be some trades made and probably some additions and subtractions to the coaching staff in order for the Mercury to even have a shot next season.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/20/22 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mat Ishbia finalizing Suns and Merc purchase

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35292815/sources-mat-ishbia-finalizing-suns-purchase-4-billion

Quote:
The deal, expected to be announced as soon as Tuesday, will end the tumultuous tenure of owner Robert Sarver.

PostPosted: 12/21/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to SDS on winning an Emmy.

https://www.slamonline.com/wnba/skylar-diggins-smith-adds-emmy-award-to-her-resume/

PostPosted: 12/22/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

I'll never not read SDS as Stacey Dales-Schuman.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/22/22 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Ditto. Still gets me every time.

PostPosted: 12/23/22 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

thirds.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/23/22 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

thirds.

samesies

(now with spelling variations)
StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/28/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

thirds.

samesies

I used to be that way too, until I later found out that Stacey divorced and she's now going by Stacey Dales.

She's now a reporter for the NFL Network.

Here's a recent article...

https://marriedbiography.com/stacey-dales-her-career-marriage-ex-husband-and-her-family-here-are-much-more-to-know-about-stacey-click-to-find-out/

Speaking of which, Stacey gave a simple weather report on the sidelines last week in Chicago... Wink

"It's freakin' cold out here, man!" Very Happy

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/bills-bears-nfl-network-stacey-dales-freezing

PostPosted: 12/28/22 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think it was dumb for Diggins(-Smith) to tack on the “-Smith” to her professional name as it relates to her being a public figure. Privately/Legally she should do whatever she wants to do, but she of all people who majored in marketing should know that the “-Smith” added absolutely nothing to her brand. (For example, I don’t see a “Smith” in the title of that one Azealia Banks song from a few years ago…) Clearly I’ve stayed pressed about her name, but apparently it’s always gonna bother me. Laughing Rolling Eyes And fwiw, it has never bothered me when other WNBA players alter the name on the back of their jersey I think because I believe (one can correct me if I’m wrong) that they didn’t have the marketability and the “It Girl” vibe that she had at one point.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/28/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I still think it was dumb for Diggins(-Smith) to tack on the “-Smith” to her professional name as it relates to her being a public figure. Privately/Legally she should do whatever she wants to do, but she of all people who majored in marketing should know that the “-Smith” added absolutely nothing to her brand. (For example, I don’t see a “Smith” in the title of that one Azealia Banks song from a few years ago…) Clearly I’ve stayed pressed about her name, but apparently it’s always gonna bother me. Laughing Rolling Eyes And fwiw, it has never bothered me when other WNBA players alter the name on the back of their jersey I think because I believe (one can correct me if I’m wrong) that they didn’t have the marketability and the “It Girl” vibe that she had at one point.

She seems passionate about it. She corrected a sideline reporters once for not saying -Smith.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/28/22 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
She seems passionate about it. She corrected a sideline reporters once for not saying -Smith.

And I would guess that she feels that way because the added name represents her identity as a wife/grown woman aka a perceived advancement from her previous identity. If she doesn't care about what I was saying about branding, then that's absolutely her right. I suppose I just personally don't think I could relate to being particularly passionate about adding on the most common last name in the country to my pre-existing name. I mean, I'd love to be able to stop cringing every time I hear or see it. Someday, hopefully. 🙃

On one hand, I wish more men took their wives' last name, especially if it was cooler/better. Gender roles, shmender roles – if ya wanna do it, then do it! (Her husband was an athlete too though, so for multiple reasons related to brand & masculinity, it was probably never considered. [Although "Daniel Diggins" without question is infinitely superior to "Daniel Smith"!])

On the other hand, it's easy for me to wish that since I doubt I'll ever find myself up at the altar marrying a woman. 😅 (Never say never, but ehh)

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/29/22 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Daniel Smith-Diggins is my vote

pilight

PostPosted: 12/29/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care for hyphens. Change your name or don't, but don't try to split the difference by using both names.

PostPosted: 12/29/22 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d rather see a player hyphenate than completely change her name; it’s hard to keep track sometimes if there are a lot of last names around for a player. (On the other hand, some people are born hyphenated, so I suppose there’s merit in not being confused with them.)

One caveat: if you marry someone whose surname is a slur, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON’T INSIST ON USING IT.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/29/22 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I’d rather see a player hyphenate than completely change her name; it’s hard to keep track sometimes if there are a lot of last names around for a player. (On the other hand, some people are born hyphenated, so I suppose there’s merit in not being confused with them.)

One caveat: if you marry someone whose surname is a slur, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON’T INSIST ON USING IT.

lmao at least many people still have the last name "Van Dyke," so it makes it a little less weird for Coop

...unless you were (also) implying someone else Shocked

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/30/22 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

lmao at least many people still have the last name "Van Dyke," so it makes it a little less weird for Coop

...unless you were (also) implying someone else Shocked

No, I meant Cooper. What, to me, is worse in that situation is that her kids, being the products of a proper marriage and all, carry their father’s last name. And *only* his name; they’re not hyphenated. And her daughter is in D-I.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/30/22 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just gonna say there are some absolutely absurd takes in this thread. I'll leave it at that.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/30/22 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm just gonna say there are some absolutely absurd takes in this thread. I'll leave it at that.

do you think mine about Skylar is absurd? just out of curiosity. not gonna take it personal if you do.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/30/22 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

do you think mine about Skylar is absurd? just out of curiosity. not gonna take it personal if you do.

I don't think your general branding opinion is incorrect. It's smart marketing. But I think your speculation about what the hyphenated name means to her borders on condescending. Her marriage is clearly important to her and if she wants to tack on her husband's name as part of her identity, then who are we to judge? I would feel the same about people who judge AD's name change.

Pilight's personal taste on hyphenated names is also a bit unnecessary. If you don't want a hyphenated name, don't get one but hyphenated names are very common in a lot of cultures in the US, including a swath of black women who take on hyphenated names as a way of preserving their individual identity rather than taking solely their husbands name. Not to mention most of Latin America using hyphenated names to pay homage to both of your parents lineage.

Queenie referring to Cooper's hyphenate as a slur is probably the most absurd thing here. It's a common last name.

All that being said, it's absurd that this conversation is taking place surrounding a players name. It was cute when people were discussing confusion with Stacey Dales Schuman but it took a turn for the bizarre the further the conversation developed.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/30/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I don't think your general branding opinion is incorrect. It's smart marketing. But I think your speculation about what the hyphenated name means to her borders on condescending. Her marriage is clearly important to her and if she wants to tack on her husband's name as part of her identity, then who are we to judge?

Thanks for answering honestly. To me, I don’t find it condescending to speculate about that A) since personal lives are inextricably tied to players, and this is a message board for the sake of creating conversation & sharing ideas, and B) as long as the standard “ultimately, everyone has the right to do/want what they do/want without any required explanation” type of sentiment is expressed. And that is what I believe. I don’t have to like what she does/wants, nor do I have to understand why – at the end of the day, the truth of the matter is none of my business.

But I do think it’s fair game for anyone to wonder aloud why without going for low-blows, which I genuinely don’t think I did. To each their own though! And I’m more than prepared to drop the subject entirely now that I’ve said my two cents.

And fwiw, the conversation turned back towards Diggins-Smith entirely by my hand, so I take full responsibility for that. I personally wouldn’t call what I said that bizarre – if anything, I see it more as pure pettiness from me cuz again, I’ve clearly stayed pressed about it even after all these years and wanted to fit a square peg in a round hole a bit by bringing it up like that. Embarassed Laughing Fwiw! (which is probably not much) My bad!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/30/22 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohn is way past the point of having any issue with double-barrelled surnames and has already embraced doing the same with Christian names. He's operating on a different level to the rest of us.

PostPosted: 12/30/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
johnjohn is way past the point of having any issue with double-barrelled surnames and has already embraced doing the same with Christian names. He's operating on a different level to the rest of us.

Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/22 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Pilight's personal taste on hyphenated names is also a bit unnecessary. If you don't want a hyphenated name, don't get one but hyphenated names are very common in a lot of cultures in the US, including a swath of black women who take on hyphenated names as a way of preserving their individual identity rather than taking solely their husbands name. Not to mention most of Latin America using hyphenated names to pay homage to both of your parents lineage.

I recognize that my opinion on this matter is unpopular

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: