RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/31/22 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, if you really want to make the case for Catchings as a dreadful GM you have to include the free agency moves, not focus on the drafting.

Richardson was a disaster, but the talent drain from people not wanting to go to Tulsa left him behind the 8-ball from the start.

PostPosted: 08/31/22 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I recall a lot of people on this board being high on Cox for whatever reason

She was a big part of Baylor winning a championship. You missed that?

The door may not be closed on her just yet since she’s involved with 3x3 basketball. Other players going through 3x3 seem to starkly improve their games. Maybe awhom will keep us updated.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

That doesn't make her a good prospect. Juicy Landrum was a big part of that championship too but nobody thought she was a lottery pick. Didi Richards started every game for that team and there was much jeering when she was suggested as a lottery pick.

PostPosted: 08/31/22 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

That doesn't make her a good prospect. Juicy Landrum was a big part of that championship too but nobody thought she was a lottery pick. Didi Richards started every game for that team and there was much jeering when she was suggested as a lottery pick.

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Indiana Fever Announce Coaching Change

https://fever.wnba.com/news/indiana-fever-announce-coaching-change/

Quote:
The Indiana Fever announced today that interim head coach Carlos Knox will not be retained for the 2023 regular season. The team will begin a search for a new coach immediately.

Are there any legit options of a decent coach out there? That would want to come to Indiana (both the team and the state)?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Are there any legit options of a decent coach out there? That would want to come to Indiana (both the team and the state)?

I imagine Steph White will come up as an option again. Whether you think that's a decent option would be up to you.

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I imagine Steph White will come up as an option again. Whether you think that's a decent option would be up to you.

I think Steph would be a good option. She did fine coaching in the WNBA - apparently her skillset did not translate well to the college level for whatever reason.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 09/02/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I think Steph would be a good option. She did fine coaching in the WNBA - apparently her skillset did not translate well to the college level for whatever reason.

She had one good season and one .500 season when all she really had to do was write "Tamika Catchings" on a lineup card. She bolted as soon as that stopped being an option.

PostPosted: 09/28/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the fever really down to 2 candidates for the HC job ? Katie Smith & Christie Sides ? Shocked Shocked Is that the best out there ? Lord this makes me think Bibb will bring in someone off the street like another franchise did this past season .

PostPosted: 09/30/22 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Bridget Pettis for the Indiana Fever Head Coach? Bridget Pettis was born in Indiana, played for the Fever and has been an assistant coach on the bench for a WNBA Championship Team.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/30/22 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
How about Bridget Pettis for the Indiana Fever Head Coach? Bridget Pettis was born in Indiana, played for the Fever and has been an assistant coach on the bench for a WNBA Championship Team.

Real talk. Does it really matter who their coach is? Can't hurt to try. I legit don't see how Indiana dogs themselves out of their hole without 3 #1 picks.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/30/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Real talk. Does it really matter who their coach is? Can't hurt to try. I legit don't see how Indiana dogs themselves out of their hole without 3 #1 picks.

Just saying, Herb Williams has a connection as a player with the Indiana and Dallas community.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/11/22 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Briann January did play 9 seasons for the Indiana Fever, could she be a head or assistant coach for the Fever? Lin Dunn coached Briann January and knows her. I'm tossing this out there for discussion.

Per Jenna Ortiz Az Republic:

Briann January said that her next steps in her career involve coaching and she has been interviewing for several coaching positions in the WNBA.

https://twitter.com/jennarortiz/status/1578448829291954177

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/11/22 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Indiana Fever Announce Coaching Change

https://fever.wnba.com/news/indiana-fever-announce-coaching-change/

Quote:
The Indiana Fever announced today that interim head coach Carlos Knox will not be retained for the 2023 regular season. The team will begin a search for a new coach immediately.

A guess might be "K_K_K_Katie, K_K_K Katie, She's......." or maybe VJ.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/11/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Briann January did play 9 seasons for the Indiana Fever, could she be a head or assistant coach for the Fever? Lin Dunn coached Briann January and knows her. I'm tossing this out there for discussion.

Per Jenna Ortiz Az Republic:

Briann January said that her next steps in her career involve coaching and she has been interviewing for several coaching positions in the WNBA.

https://twitter.com/jennarortiz/status/1578448829291954177

I think January should be a W assistant for a few years before a head coach.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/11/22 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if January was handed a pro head coaching job right off the bat (could see it with Bird, but January would be a surprise). Lots of assistant spots also available that would presumably require an interview as well.

PostPosted: 10/11/22 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'd be shocked if January was handed a pro head coaching job right off the bat (could see it with Bird, but January would be a surprise). Lots of assistant spots also available that would presumably require an interview as well.

Just the cheap hire needed ...............I wont even elaborate and it's not towards january either Confused Mad

PostPosted: 10/11/22 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Just the cheap hire needed ...............I wont even elaborate and it's not towards january either Confused Mad

Who? Stephanie White return?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/11/22 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I don't see that Bird is any more qualified than January. January has at least done some college coaching.

PostPosted: 10/11/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don't see that Bird is any more qualified than January. January has at least done some college coaching.

Not necessarily more qualified, but she has the legend status. We've seen on the men's side multiple times that that can jump you to the head of the queue for coaching jobs regardless of qualifications or experience. Also I imagine GMs around the league have seen those ESPN Wired segments as often as we have where it looks like she's been half-coaching the Storm for years already.

PostPosted: 10/12/22 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

If Indiana hired Sue Bird, I can only imagine the jokes that would be coming re: Larry Bird with the Pacers.

The easy one - would they start calling Gainbridge "The Bird Nest?" Plus all of the questions about whether she's his daughter. Just no!!

So can we please not mention Sue's name in a thread about the new coach for the Fever? Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/12/22 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been worse ideas than January mentioned in this thread. I would want someone with more experience, but I'd probably rather try January than a retread with bad experience.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/12/22 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
There have been worse ideas than January mentioned in this thread. I would want someone with more experience, but I'd probably rather try January than a retread with bad experience.

At least she would know her way around. I'd rather have her than Katie Smith.

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 10/14/22 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm all in for giving January a try, if my username is any indication. Smile

A return to the Fever would actually be awesome, now that the idea has been brought up.

PostPosted: 10/14/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
I'm all in for giving January a try, if my username is any indication. Smile

A return to the Fever would actually be awesome, now that the idea has been brought up.

I believe the Indiana Fevers Assistant Coaching Staff (Jhared Simpson, Vicki Hall, Gary Kloppenburg) still have contracts with the team, Briann January if hire to be the head coach will have a experience assistant coaching staff to help her navigate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: