RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/04/23 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People have thought Bueckers' body (specifically her leg[s]) was fragile before she tore her ACL. While Bueckers seems to have more two-way potential than Clark in my & others' opinion, Clark has been the one who hasn't had to miss many games in her college career – if any at all. And with Bueckers unable to play, Clark has gotten all the attention. Not to mention: Clark's range of entering the Draft is ironically not as vast as her shooting range – it's either 2024 or 2025 for her. Meanwhile for Bueckers, her Draft range is any year from 2023 (this year) through 2026. While Bueckers probably enters in 2024, it's not super certain depending on how she fares on the court as a true [academic] senior next season post-injury – whew, how time flies. I mean, Azzi Fudd tore her ACL in high school, and even she hasn't exactly been 100% here in her sophomore year of college. The post-ACL injury experience for an athlete is truly not a uniform one.

And of course: The NIL factor. If Bueckers is already making top dollar, while in one of the most marketable sports institutions in the country (UConn WBB is more marketable than any WNBA team out there), why not linger around for as long as possible while building up body strength and getting a minimalist’s education on the side? Even Clark herself could consider it at/in her native Iowa – albeit only for one extra year, which could be key here.

So then, the 2024 Draft should already be sort of colloquially known as the "Clark" Draft at this point. If that's still an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. I get the feeling though that it's not; People often forget about what isn't right in front of them. Bueckers would have to have a monstrous comeback season (and go on to declare) to make it hard on whichever GM has the #1 Pick in 2024. Especially if Clark snags the NCAA Div.-I scoring record away from Kelsey Plum next season – and she's certainly on pace to, being as of writing this only 1,254 points away having completed about 60% of her junior season so far – there wouldn't be much reason to stick around.

Long story short, whoever has the #1 Pick in 2024 – especially if it's the Lynx – ought to take Caitlin Clark. Not sure who would disagree with that at this point in time.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/04/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
People have thought Bueckers' body (specifically her leg[s]) was fragile before she tore her ACL. While Bueckers seems to have more two-way potential than Clark in my & others' opinion, Clark has been the one who hasn't had to miss many games in her college career – if any at all. And with Bueckers unable to play, Clark has gotten all the attention. Not to mention: Clark's range of entering the Draft is ironically not as vast as her shooting range – it's either 2024 or 2025 for her. Meanwhile for Bueckers, her Draft range is any year from 2023 (this year) through 2026. While Bueckers probably enters in 2024, it's not super certain depending on how she fares on the court as a true [academic] senior next season post-injury – whew, how time flies. I mean, Azzi Fudd tore her ACL in high school, and even she hasn't exactly been 100% here in her sophomore year of college. The post-ACL injury experience for an athlete is truly not a uniform one.

And of course: The NIL factor. If Bueckers is already making top dollar, while in one of the most marketable sports institutions in the country (UConn WBB is more marketable than any WNBA team out there), why not linger around for as long as possible while building up body strength and getting a minimalist’s education on the side? Even Clark herself could consider it at/in her native Iowa – albeit only for one extra year, which could be key here.

So then, the 2024 Draft should already be sort of colloquially known as the "Clark" Draft at this point. If that's still an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. I get the feeling though that it's not; People often forget about what isn't right in front of them. Bueckers would have to have a monstrous comeback season (and go on to declare) to make it hard on whichever GM has the #1 Pick in 2024. Especially if Clark snags the NCAA Div.-I scoring record away from Kelsey Plum next season – and she's certainly on pace to, being as of writing this only 1,254 points away having completed about 60% of her junior season so far – there wouldn't be much reason to stick around.

Long story short, whoever has the #1 Pick in 2024 – especially if it's the Lynx – ought to take Caitlin Clark. Not sure who would disagree with that at this point in time.

I beg to differ Due to a young lady by the name of Olivia Miles who is eligible for the 2024 draft and she began with ND as an early entry freshmen. She’s already better than half of the PG’s in the W and I think she will end up being better in the pros than both Clark and Bueckers. My personal opinion though I’m glad we can have these debates about future talent . Man the W is on the rise!

PostPosted: 02/04/23 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olivia Miles is fabulous in her own right. Her one issue though is her glaring lack of a halfway-decent 3PT shot. She’ll need to get that addressed before she can truly enter the #1 Pick conversation imo. Clark’s weakness is of course her overall defense, but that seems to be less of a concern to GMs if you make up for it on the other end – which of course, she does & then some.

And Miles only joined ND midway through the covid season, playing in I think six games with the team which missed the Big Dance that season. I feel like she’d want a proper senior season, but that’s just me.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/04/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cameron Brink likely in next year's class too. This is when tanking becomes a more reasonable option - when you don't necessarily need the #1 pick for it to result in a star player.

PostPosted: 02/04/23 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There certainly should be some options for most/all of the lottery teams next year. I’d want Brink on the Storm before her home city of Portland gets a new team, just to spite 'em. 😏 A team would be lucky to have any one of the aforementioned though, for sure.

Still a bit early on to even put out a prediction at this point, but the Lottery teams next year based on current roster cores seem to me like they’ll be Seattle, Indiana, Chicago, and this Lynx team.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/04/23 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Cameron Brink likely in next year's class too. This is when tanking becomes a more reasonable option - when you don't necessarily need the #1 pick for it to result in a star player.

👍🏿👌🏿👏🏿

PostPosted: 02/05/23 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could the signing of Tiffany Mitchell, whose ideal position is SG, be an indication that McBride will likely be suspended because of her devotion to Fenerbahce?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ROqqugnxACU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/08/23 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Lindsay Allen/Kiana Williams
2: Kayla McBride/Tiffany Mitchell/Stephanie Watts
3: Aerial Powers/Bridget Carleton
4: Napheesa Collier/Nikolina Milic/Maya Dodson
5: Damiris Dantas/Jessica Shepard
INA: Natalie Achonwa

Additions:
- Lindsay Allen: via training camp contract
- Bridget Carleton: re-signed via free agency
- Damiris Dantas: via training camp contract
- Maya Dodson: via training camp contract
- Nikolina Milic: re-signed via free agency
- Tiffany Mitchell: via free agency
- Stephanie Watts: via training camp contract
- Kiana Williams: via training camp contract

Subtractions:
- Sylvia Fowles: retired

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/13/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions:

Looking at the Lynx Depth Chart, Haley Jones should be the #2 Pick

mannman

PostPosted: 02/15/23 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions:

Looking at the Lynx Depth Chart, Haley Jones should be the #2 Pick

I totally agree. I look at some of these mock drafts and wonder if the creators actually look at what the team needs.

blaase22

PostPosted: 02/15/23 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx will suck who cares about team needs they need the best available!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/23 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team that's paying well over 600k to wings, not even counting the minutes Collier will play at the 3, should therefore absolutely take Haley Jones? If you think she's just the best player available at #2 then fair enough, but I don't see how the roster pushes them in that direction. Not unless you think she's about to become a pro point guard.

PostPosted: 02/15/23 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
A team that's paying well over 600k to wings, not even counting the minutes Collier will play at the 3, should therefore absolutely take Haley Jones? If you think she's just the best player available at #2 then fair enough, but I don't see how the roster pushes them in that direction. Not unless you think she's about to become a pro point guard.

A pro's pro point guard Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/15/23 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

realistically there’s no one the Lynx can take at 2 that both fits a positional need (C, PG) and is a logical choice to take in that draft spot right now

if you can’t trade up to 1 – Lin Dunn is looking a bit sus these days – then just draft the BPA, take a by-committee approach to the 1 & 5, and go from there

honestly, the team shouldn’t have high hopes this year anyway – that special PG (Clark, Bueckers, etc) or post (Brink, Lee, etc) may be coming next year anyway

and hey, maybe someone special early-declares this year – a Top 2 of SoCar posts in Boston & Cardoso? cuz maybe Cardoso would be interested in playing with her fellow Brazilian Dantas, who knowz

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/15/23 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

Additions:

Subtractions:

This is ugly. At this point in time, all the top picks are saying, "No, pick her, not me!"

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/15/23 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
realistically there’s no one the Lynx can take at 2 that both fits a positional need (C, PG) and is a logical choice to take in that draft spot right now

if you can’t trade up to 1 – Lin Dunn is looking a bit sus these days – then just draft the BPA, take a by-committee approach to the 1 & 5, and go from there

honestly, the team shouldn’t have high hopes this year anyway – that special PG (Clark, Bueckers, etc) or post (Brink, Lee, etc) may be coming next year anyway

and hey, maybe someone special early-declares this year – a Top 2 of SoCar posts in Boston & Cardoso? cuz maybe Cardoso would be interested in playing with her fellow Brazilian Dantas, who knowz

nooooo, Cardoso has to go to the Liberty in a year that we have Han Xu, Sika Kone, and at least one of the Euros so we can complete our continental collection

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/23 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
nooooo, Cardoso has to go to the Liberty in a year that we have Han Xu, Sika Kone, and at least one of the Euros so we can complete our continental collection

i mean, Stephanie Soares with that injured knee of hers could very well still be available when the Liberty pick 30th ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/16/23 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there has to be a trade in the works

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/02/23 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen out as Gophers head coach

How long until they announce her as assistant coach here?

PostPosted: 03/02/23 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

I don't follow a lot of college ball. How bad was her tenure there to be fired so soon?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/23 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

I don't follow a lot of college ball. How bad was her tenure there to be fired so soon?

She had 5 years and she was predictably terrible.

The Gophers just lost in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament AT HOME against a terrible Penn State team. That had to be the last nail in the coffin.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/02/23 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

She had 5 years and she was predictably terrible.

The Gophers just lost in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament AT HOME against a terrible Penn State team. That had to be the last nail in the coffin.

Yikes. Maybe being an assistant under Reeve will help.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/23 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taking a job with the Lynx might require giving up the contract she's on with the Gophers (they've technically moved her upstairs rather than fired her). So could be a while before she'd take that assistant job that might well be waiting for her if she wants it.

PostPosted: 03/15/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-complete-coaching-and-basketball-operations-staff/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: