Dream
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Liberty
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/22 1:02 pm    ::: Dream @ Liberty - 8/14/22 Reply Reply with quote

Brooklyn, NY - 2:00 PM ET
TV: Bally Sports South

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/f1b2c3ee-086c-4a08-b4ac-d9945ab52c1e#bucketId=1
https://www.ballysports.com/watch/live/atlanta-dream-at-new-york-liberty
https://watchyesnetwork.com/

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/live/213788/atlanta-dream--new-york-liberty

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20220814/ATLNYL/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/14/22 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly, the Liberty have arguably played their two most balanced games of the season in their last two games. Laney’s presence has helped give them more of an interior game on offense, another passer and more size on defense. Since the Liberty now put 5 offensive threats on the floor often, it’s hard to double any particular player. Friday was the first time all season that they been able to win a game without the three ball being more than a pedestrian part of the win. The depth has also removed some of the attention Sabrina has drawn. As such, her efficiency has gone up and she’s gotten downhill effectively.

According to 538, the Liberty now have an 81% chance of making the playoffs. This moves the needle from thinking about the lottery to potentially having another week of play. And from the look of it, they have potential to be competitive. Probably not win a series. But I like their chances to match up to Vegas or Chicago more competitively with Laney and Bec defending on the wings. Vegas in particular where NY could not defend them at all in July.

As far as next year’s draft, I think the Liberty will still be in an ok place drafting 6th. Lee is a likely top 5 pick. The Liberty don’t have space for her skill set at a position where they already have several young developmental types and she doesn’t fit their system at all. Boston is a lock at #1. The others who can really help NY in my view are in no particular order Jones, Owusu, Blackwell and Miller. Ashley Joens is a slim possibility too. I don’t particularly love her game but I guess in theory she can improve her handle and passing this year.

Any of the other 4 would be an immediate depth piece of varying degrees of readiness. All 4 are bigger wings. 3 of them are highly athletic. 3 of them can move the needle for the Libs in free throw disparity. Two (Blackwell and Miller) are less polished overall.

Obviously the hope is to add a higher profile FA. While it’s nice that the Libs have young pieces in the post, a proven high-quality veteran in that area is what will potentially take them to championship contender. But if that’s not possible, the additions of Sabally and any of the above would still improve the team.

In an ideal world, a Breanna Stewart looks at NY and views herself as a missing piece for championship contention in a market where she can have some endorsement opportunities.

While I have no knowledge of how that might transpire, I’d also think the organization, how they value their players and their young talent would all be potentially attractive to free agents.

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outstanding officiating in this one.

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IO having a shit game. Do both teams need to win this one in order to be in the playoffs?

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Outstanding officiating in this one.

I don't have ESPN3 anymore so can't watch. They've called a ton of O-foul turnovers.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
IO having a shit game. Do both teams need to win this one in order to be in the playoffs?

Atlanta has to win to have a chance. If New York wins, they are in. Then it just depends on the Chicago/Phoenix game for who gets the 7 and 8th seed.

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nasty block by Howard! Shocked Surprised

PostPosted: 08/14/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liked Coach Brondello's rotation today. Really enjoy watching the Liberty's not so secret, secret weapon Marine Johannes. The Liberty can be quite good when Big Stef plays to her capabilities!!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/14/22 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noted Stefanie Dolson hater, giving her her due, for one day only: she stepped up today, when Ionescu was a no-show, and the other veterans were playing tight.

Free Han Xu!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/14/22 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson's best game for the Liberty... at a crucial time!

Here's where team sports can be so great. Imagine if before the game we'd asked 50 Liberty fans and 50 Dream fans to write down a prediction for the crucial play of the game. Would any of the 100 have said: Natasha Howard hits a three-pointer from the corner.

And surely not many Liberty fans would have predicted: Sabrina shoots 1-12, makes six turnovers, and we somehow win anyway.

PostPosted: 08/14/22 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone attend the post-game STH event? It was great to see the team in great spirits signing and posing for pics, but it was so disorganized.

Laney came in carrying a baby during the event. Anyone know whose baby this was?

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/14/22 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Anyone attend the post-game STH event? It was great to see the team in great spirits signing and posing for pics, but it was so disorganized.

Laney came in carrying a baby during the event. Anyone know whose baby this was?

They definitely did not think their cunning plan all the way through. There wasn’t enough space for everything they wanted to do with the photobooths and the autograph stations, especially since some genius decided that a chunk of the middle of the court needed to be kept free so the Torch Patrol could occasionally do dance numbers. I think whoever was in charge of the logistics failed to consider that this was the first event with full roster availability in something like three years, and fans had a lot of catching up to do. (Remember, only half the team was available for that preseason scrimmage, and of the players who were there, two are no longer on the Liberty.)

I am a bit irked that they told us it was a mask-mandatory event and then there were staffers and Torch Patrollers strolling around without masks. The players and coaches are kind of important to this whole basketball thing, maybe we should be as careful as possible with them? If somebody gets COVID from this event we’ll never see a meet-and-greet again.

If you told me that DiDi and Michaela were still playing around with the photobooth at this very hour, I would nod and smile and be completely unsurprised.

Shoutout to the Miami Sol season ticket holder who is now a Liberty season ticket holder; you, ma’am, have impeccable taste in teams.

No idea whose child Betnijah absconded with.

As for the game: I think it says a lot that we were able to win despite Sabrina having one of her worst games of the season. Now, are we going to get another shooting performance like that from Marine the next time Sabrina shits the bed? Probably not. But maybe by then Betnijah will be back in the swing of things. And for all the shit I’ve talked about Stefanie Dolson, she stepped up today and made plays and hit shots.

I’m certain that the woman in the Tanisha Wright Liberty jersey was in fact related to Tanisha Wright, and for the love of God, Coach, get your family some Dream gear, it is not a good look for someone in a Liberty jersey to be screaming her head off for Atlanta. I thought there was going to be a fight by the time she as done with her nonsense.

I think I’m happy we’re in the playoffs? Like, on one hand a lottery pick is probably more useful in the long run than a short playoff run, but on the other hand, the postseason experience would be helpful to our kids. At least this time we didn’t pratfall our way into the playoffs despite trying our best to avoid them (that honor went to Phoenix this year).

(now with spelling variations)
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/14/22 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

In an ideal world, a Breanna Stewart looks at NY and views herself as a missing piece for championship contention in a market where she can have some endorsement opportunities.

Stewie + Championship in NYC = She would be $$$$ set for life.

PostPosted: 08/15/22 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the only series outside of wash/Seattle that will be interesting, IMO.

The Sky should smash the Liberty - but they aren’t always the most focused team in the world, and the Liberty are young, talented, and will be playing with nothing to lose.

I think ultimately the Sky will win, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they made it far more interesting than Phoenix or Dallas.

PostPosted: 08/15/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

The Sky should smash the Liberty - but they aren’t always the most focused team in the world, and the Liberty are young, talented, and will be playing with nothing to lose.

Exclamation ....and this makes me nervous.... Laughing

PostPosted: 08/15/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I’m not getting it. In SEA, Puma has already given Stewart her own shoe.

This is just old school ClayK thinking. Nowadays you don’t have to live in a certain city to get endorsements. With social media, you’re seen everywhere.

Check out Kevin Durant threatening the Nets with sitting out. Is he feeling set for life?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/15/22 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Exclamation ....and this makes me nervous.... Laughing

Turnover Queens.👑

PostPosted: 08/16/22 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I’m not getting it. In SEA, Puma has already given Stewart her own shoe.

This is just old school ClayK thinking. Nowadays you don’t have to live in a certain city to get endorsements. With social media, you’re seen everywhere.

Check out Kevin Durant threatening the Nets with sitting out. Is he feeling set for life?

Durant’s situation is totally different. None of the reasons for his unhappiness involve anything WNBA-related, endorsements or the Liberty.

Yes, Stewie has her own shoe. It’s also true that Sabrina is one of the few players who has multiple national endorsements. Sabrina is probably in the top 3 of visibility in the WNBA already. Playing alongside her might not enhance Stewie’s visibility. But it potentially could. And it certainly can’t hurt.

PostPosted: 08/16/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding NY’s matchup with Chicago, Parker missed one game between the two teams and sat out much of another. However, Laney’s return might limit how much Copper is able to defend Sabrina. It also might make it harder for Chicago to play Quigley a ton of minutes. I feel good about NY’s chances of competing effectively in each game. Winning is another matter. But I do think a healthy Liberty team is better than the 16-20 version we saw in the regular season.

PostPosted: 08/16/22 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Regarding NY’s matchup with Chicago, Parker missed one game between the two teams and sat out much of another. However, Laney’s return might limit how much Copper is able to defend Sabrina. It also might make it harder for Chicago to play Quigley a ton of minutes. I feel good about NY’s chances of competing effectively in each game. Winning is another matter. But I do think a healthy Liberty team is better than the 16-20 version we saw in the regular season.

I believe New York is unquestionably better with Laney, even while Laney is inevitably still adjusting to her return. Can a healthy Liberty team win two out of three from Chicago, with the first two games on the road? I doubt it, but it's not impossible.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: