RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Would a W G-League Work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/11/22 12:11 pm    ::: How Would a W G-League Work? Reply Reply with quote

I've seen some talk about the W needing its own version of a G-League which has got me thinking a lot about how that could possibly work. Obviously, cost would be a huge factor.

My proposal would be perhaps something akin to the NBA Summer League where the farm teams are located in one spot (Knoxville perhaps?) with 6 teams (each sponsored by two teams). This would eliminate travel costs, provide a W connection to a location that makes sense but may not be ready for their own team and could maybe even tie in with the HOF. Also providing roster spots and keeping these players game ready for when they get called up. Injuries and hardship contracts are rampant in the W and I think having a pool of available players would be good.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/12/22 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe play in small college towns with good WBB attendance. Or towns with small arenas that are looking to fill dates. Would probably need to be regional where bus travel was acceptable. And do something like minor league baseball where players will stay in rooms provided by fans when they are playing away.

For a summer league of hopefuls and draft picks, someplace that was a tourist area where an arena was owned by the city or a tourist business. Like Mohegan Sun, only in a place besides Uncasville, CT. Orleans in Vegas or something in Atlantic City. Or if nothing better, Mohegan Sun.

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/13/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a few minor league teams that would be glad to partner with the WNBA. They already have the venues they play games in. All the wnba teams or even the league would have to do is contribute to operations costs. But since they won’t allow the owners to charter planes, I doubt that they would be willing to fund a development league to stash rookies or players that just are not going to play much.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/13/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m old enough to vaguely remember the concept of WNBA teams having developmental players affiliated with each team, although I don’t remember the specifics. I do know that a few of them were called into service for their teams.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: