RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stuck at the Airport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPD

PostPosted: 08/08/22 1:06 pm    ::: Stuck at the Airport Reply Reply with quote

" Los Angeles Sparks players forced to sleep at airport after canceled flight: 'First time for everything'

WNBA teams are required to fly commercial; the Sparks got stuck in D.C. ahead of a crucial late-season game"

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/los-angeles-sparks-players-forced-to-sleep-at-airport-after-canceled-flight-first-time-for-everything/

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 08/08/22 5:24 pm    ::: Re: Stuck at the Airport Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
" Los Angeles Sparks players forced to sleep at airport after canceled flight: 'First time for everything'

WNBA teams are required to fly commercial; the Sparks got stuck in D.C. ahead of a crucial late-season game"

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/los-angeles-sparks-players-forced-to-sleep-at-airport-after-canceled-flight-first-time-for-everything/

Back in ... I think 2000, the Charlotte Sting had to spend the night in the Denver airport. I don't remember all the details but I feel like we were trying to get to Utah, which would put this in June 13-14 territory as we played the Starzz on Thursday the 15th.

Weather messed with our flights, and we eventually got re-directed through Denver, arriving close to midnight. There was some kind of convention in Denver, which meant that all hotels were full. We had to get out on a 6 am flight the next day anyway, so crashed at the airport.

Airports actually have cots for this sort of an emergency, but we arrived too late to take advantage of these accommodations.

Somewhere on a Gateway laptop hard drive burried in a landfill are photos of Head Coach T.R. Dunn sleeping on the luggage conveyer belt, players sleeping on baggage carts, staff scrunched into airport baggage claim seats which are decidedly NOT meant to be slept upon.

Good times.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/08/22 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No AirBnB was available either? Shocked

Yikes, at this rate, maybe teams should start packing inflatable air mattresses for away games... Confused

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/08/22 7:03 pm    ::: Re: Stuck at the Airport Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:

I'm not sure that the commercial flight requirement has much to do with this, since charter flights are being affected by the cancellation epidemic as well. Certainly weather issues leading to cancellations can occur for either commercial or charter flights.

That article says half the team got hotel rooms. One would have thought the hotel could have come up with cots for the others.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/08/22 7:08 pm    ::: Re: Stuck at the Airport Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SPD wrote:

I'm not sure that the commercial flight requirement has much to do with this, since charter flights are being affected by the cancellation epidemic as well. Certainly weather issues leading to cancellations can occur for either commercial or charter flights.

That article says half the team got hotel rooms. One would have thought the hotel could have come up with cots for the others.

Heck, for all we know, if there were few enough rooms, that could be with cots.

PostPosted: 08/08/22 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there's been no real progress on this front in at least 22 years...

PostPosted: 08/08/22 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBPA statement calling for charter flights

https://twitter.com/TheWNBPA/status/1556788353764249601

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/08/22 8:22 pm    ::: Re: Stuck at the Airport Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SPD wrote:

Some hotels no longer offer cots or roll away beds or some other form of adding anther bed into a room due to fire safety.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/08/22 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Yikes, at this rate, maybe teams should start packing inflatable air mattresses for away games... Confused

So, from what I gathered from Nneka's video is that some players were already at hotels, and some were stuck at the airport? I know it sucks, but why couldn't a teammate let the "room-less" teammate bunk up for the night ?

PostPosted: 08/08/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

So, from what I gathered from Nneka's video is that some players were already at hotels, and some were stuck at the airport? I know it sucks, but why couldn't a teammate let the "room-less" teammate bunk up for the night ?

That's what I was thinking. I mean, how do you decide who gets a room and who gets the floor at the airport? I mean, if I'm going to get a floor to sleep on, I'd rather it be in a hotel than the airport!

I know one thing I'd be packing from now on, is one of those pool float air mattresses. Might be a little narrow, but it'd better than the damn hard (dirty) floor!!!!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/22 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I mean, how do you decide who gets a room and who gets the floor at the airport?

https://twitter.com/Lexiebrown/status/1556620838664867842

Quote:
we had a Rock Paper Scissors tournament.

PostPosted: 08/09/22 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, so the team's best player did not get a bed?.... That's very disrespectful.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/09/22 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington, DC is my hometown. I can't believe there wasn't one hotel in the DMV area that couldn't have accommodated the LA Sparks for 1 night. How about the LA Sparks or the WNBA calling up Sheila Johnson she's into hospitality or Ted Leonsis.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/09/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I mean, how do you decide who gets a room and who gets the floor at the airport?

https://twitter.com/Lexiebrown/status/1556620838664867842

Quote:
we had a Rock Paper Scissors tournament.

https://twitter.com/Lexiebrown/status/1556699394044338177?s=20&t=pjqb5CiPsZuNOQX9j5Fk3g

Lexie Brown
@Lexiebrown
YALL EYEEEEEE AM JOKING. everyone had an option to sleep where they wanted. Now stop the deep diving 😂😂 we are back in LA safe and sound🤸🏾‍♀️

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: