RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA playoff picture
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 08/08/22 5:20 am    ::: WNBA playoff picture Reply Reply with quote

WNBA playoff picture, standings, projections: Sky clinch a top-two seed; Sparks keep faint hopes alive

Quote:
Eliminated
12. Indiana Fever (5-29)

The Fever have now lost 16 straight games and were the first team eliminated from the playoffs. With a sixth straight lottery appearance on the way, they'll be hoping for some luck with the ping pong balls to help end the worst stretch in franchise history.

The Indiana Fever have never had a #1 pick. It looks like the only other active team never to have had a #1 is the Chicago Sky. But the Dallas Wings got theirs (Charli Collier 2021) via a trade.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/08/22 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky Near Aces WNBA Championship Odds

tfan

PostPosted: 08/10/22 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA playoff picture, standings, projections: Aces gain ground in race for top seed; Sparks on the brink

pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/22 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're rooting for NY and Minnesota tonight, right?

PostPosted: 08/10/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
We're rooting for NY and Minnesota tonight, right?

Yes, you should be. And I hadn't noticed you changed your pronouns. Wink

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/12/22 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What an unfortunate year to start this new format as I really can't see any of the bottom 4 seeds apart from WSH making any noise. I am anticipating blow out sweeps against the 6-7-8 seeds and possibly a compelling matchup between Seattle and Washington at the 5-6.

That being said, the semifinals should be fire.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/12/22 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
What an unfortunate year to start this new format as I really can't see any of the bottom 4 seeds apart from WSH making any noise. I am anticipating blow out sweeps against the 6-7-8 seeds and possibly a compelling matchup between Seattle and Washington at the 5-6.

The Wings are .500, and 6-4 in their last 10 games, so they at least have the potential to make a series interesting. Those teams below them though ... yeah they're got no business being in the post-season.
Since the W is so married to 8 making the playoffs let's get those expansion teams happening already.

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, will Conn and Dallas rest starters in their final games?
They won't have anything to play for. A win won't move them up.

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
So, will Conn and Dallas rest starters in their final games?
They won't have anything to play for. A win won't move them up.

They are better off losing, just in case they somehow become lottery teams next season

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:31 pm    ::: 2022 Playoffs - game dates/times Reply Reply with quote

Some teams have started selling playoff tickets. For those considering purchases, the game dates/times for each round have been posted at

https://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2022/news/

An interesting Sunday possibility is a three-way tie at 25-11 for the best overall record. The Sky would be the top seed based on a 5-2 combined head-to-head record over the Aces and the Sun. The Aces have a 4-2 head-to-head record versus the Sky and the Sun.

A Sun win early on Sunday forces the Aces to win to clinch the top seed.

--
ciel

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

The Wings are .500, and 6-4 in their last 10 games, so they at least have the potential to make a series interesting. Those teams below them though ... yeah they're got no business being in the post-season.
Since the W is so married to 8 making the playoffs let's get those expansion teams happening already.

I was hoping when the league made the format change for the current playoffs that they were going to drop the seventh and eighth seed from the playoff structure. That didn't happen.🤨

PostPosted: 08/12/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Seattle and Washington will be matching up at the 4-5 spot. This playoff format didn't water down or make the regular season standings outside of making the playoffs irrelevant like some of this board predicted it would.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/12/22 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I was hoping when the league made the format change for the current playoffs that they were going to drop the seventh and eighth seed from the playoff structure. That didn't happen.🤨

Something like that will never ever happen in any U.S. professional sports league. It is inevitable to put more and more teams in any sports postseason so that virtually every team is still in the race till close to the end. In a 12-team league, having EIGHT teams in the playoffs is ridiculous.

Imagine that the WNBA expands to 14 or 15 teams in the next few years. Will they keep it as it is now, with eight teams in the playoffs? No way. It'll be at least 10.

PostPosted: 08/12/22 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Something like that will never ever happen in any U.S. professional sports league. It is inevitable to put more and more teams in any sports postseason so that virtually every team is still in the race till close to the end. In a 12-team league, having EIGHT teams in the playoffs is ridiculous.

Imagine that the WNBA expands to 14 or 15 teams in the next few years. Will they keep it as it is now, with eight teams in the playoffs? No way. It'll be at least 10.

When the league had 16 teams before they still only took eight teams to the playoffs

PostPosted: 08/12/22 10:57 pm    ::: WNBA plays three months to eliminate four teams Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

They'll end up playing 3 months to eliminate 4 teams, which is not quite as bad as the Canadian Football League, which plays nearly 5 months to eliminate 3 teams (same proportion, one-third of the league eliminated).

--
ciel

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/22 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc are in with a win OR a Lynx loss

Lib are in with a win. They also get in with a loss if the Lynx lose AND the Merc win.

Dream are in with a win AND a Merc loss

Lynx are in with a win AND a Merc loss. They also get in with a win AND a Dream win AND a Merc win.

PostPosted: 08/13/22 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/13/22 9:22 am    ::: Scenarios Grid for #7 and #8 seeds Reply Reply with quote

From playoff scenario grids I've seen for other leagues, I created one showing the #7 and #8 seeds based on the results of the relevant Sunday games. I like the chart pilight posted from Calvin Wetzel to use for tracking the outcome paths as the games progress on Sunday.

--
ciel

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/22 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

2023 WNBA First Round Playoff Schedule Dates

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1558228344960860162

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny that the way it's worked out, no one's ever really been in a position to pick their opponent. Usually in these systems as we head towards the final days, teams are thinking "well we could push for that seed, but then we'd be on that side of the bracket and get Team X in the first round. Would we maybe rather drop a spot and play Team Y and be on the other side?"

We ended up with Seattle-Washington looking pretty inevitable for weeks, one way round or the other, Connecticut falling fairly comfortably into 3rd while Dallas slotted into 6th, while 1/2 and 7/8 still have no clue who they'd be playing even if they could pick which of those seeds they were going to finish as.

No way that happens every year if they stick with this system.

PostPosted: 08/13/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks pilight and ciel!

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/14/22 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Playoffs, Standings and Tiebreakers Explained

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/wnba-playoff-picture-standings-tiebreakers-explained-storm-clinch-no-4-seed-mercury-liberty-get-big-wins/

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/14/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i suspect the last day of the 2022 WNBA Regular Season will unfold with the Sun not being able to improve their playoff seeding limiting the minutes of their key players which will give the Lynx a chance to send Syl off with a victory and a shot of making the playoffs.

The Liberty and Dream will know at the beginning of the 3rd period of their game whether or not the Lynx have won their game against the Sun. I'm flipping a coin which landed showing the Dream beat the Liberty.

When the Sky play against the Mercury today the Lynx/Sun and Dream/Liberty games will be likely ended. The Sky will be playing for the Top Seed before the Aces/Storm game have started. I suspect the Sky will play hard for a chance for the top seed and defeat the Mercury.

The Storm knowing, they can't improve their playoff seeding likely won't press to play their key veterans for long minutes in the game against the Aces. I believe the Aces will win the game against the Storm, knowing the Sky has already defeated the Mercury.

I have to admit I was wrong about the Lynx scenario. Also, I was wrong about the scenario about the Dream.

There could be 2 teams at the end of the day 16-20 with 2 playoff seeds to be determine.

Mercury
Liberty

Let the tiebreaking begin.

Last edited by SportsGuru on 08/14/22 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
i suspect the last day of the 2022 WNBA Regular Season will unfold with the Sun not being able to improve their playoff seeding limiting the minutes of their key players which will give the Lynx a chance to send Syl off with a victory and a shot of making the playoffs.

I have to admit I was wrong about the Lynx scenario.

I was just coming to say this. #hatehard

craigmont

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So MINN has to win at CONN and hope that one of PHX or NY loses.

ATL needs to beat NY and hope that one of MINN or PHX loses.

PHX could still be in with a loss if MINN loses.

Right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: