RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/22 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young MIP

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-aces-jackie-young-named-2022-kia-wnba-most-improved-player/

PostPosted: 08/29/22 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jackie Young MIP

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-aces-jackie-young-named-2022-kia-wnba-most-improved-player/

I don't like this and I don't care who is mad about it. There is no way a #1 pick should ever win this award. Ever. Nor should a #1 pick be the runner up. Or even qualify.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/29/22 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Low key...COY should have gone to Nygaard

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

And Phoenix still made the playoffs

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/29/22 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

As a Phoenix fan, I wholly disagree. I find it nice that she got a vote but she wouldn't be deserving. Her inability to coach SDS alone should preclude her from a coaching award. She had a tough hand, absolutely but that doesn't make her worthy of the award.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/22 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I don't like this and I don't care who is mad about it. There is no way a #1 pick should ever win this award. Ever. Nor should a #1 pick be the runner up. Or even qualify.

I entirely agree.

I've been in favor of abolishing this award for a long time, but if we're going to do it let's do somebody who actually made significant improvement.

There were only two players in the league who improved their ppg by at least five and their rpg and apg by at least one over last season. One was Alyssa Thomas, who was hurt and only played three games at well below her normal production last year. The other was Jessica Shepard, who should have been a strong contender for this award but somehow got zero votes.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
zune69 wrote:

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

As a Phoenix fan, I wholly disagree. I find it nice that she got a vote but she wouldn't be deserving. Her inability to coach SDS alone should preclude her from a coaching award. She had a tough hand, absolutely but that doesn't make her worthy of the award.

Besides Muffett, who let her do what she wanted, what coach has been able to coach her? She's been the same, entitled, locker room nightmare, everywhere she's ever been.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I entirely agree.

I've been in favor of abolishing this award for a long time, but if we're going to do it let's do somebody who actually made significant improvement.

There were only two players in the league who improved their ppg by at least five and their rpg and apg by at least one over last season. One was Alyssa Thomas, who was hurt and only played three games at well below her normal production last year. The other was Jessica Shepard, who should have been a strong contender for this award but somehow got zero votes.

Thank you! To me, this should be the award Gardner should've won. She improved so much that she was a 32 year old rookie(in case ESPN didn't let you know enough). The fact that 3 #1 picks were 3 of the top 4 vote getters is utterly ridiculous.

Totally agree about Shepard.

As a UCONN fan I would loved to have seen Moriah win it, but she was the #2 pick, so I don't think she should've been in the running either, but I don't see how she didn't get a vote.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
zune69 wrote:

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

Besides Muffett, who let her do what she wanted, what coach has been able to coach her? She's been the same, entitled, locker room nightmare, everywhere she's ever been.

Brondello and Fred Williams coached her to multiple All WNBA team honors 🤷🏽‍♂️

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I'm going to agree with this, but only on a technicality

🤡

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
zune69 wrote:

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

This! Some things were completely outta her control, e.g. the whole Griner fiasco, but everything else with the Charles divorce, all star snub 🤡 talk, discord with SDS, that’s all on her. A more experienced coach knows the pulse of team and when to push and prod and when to soothe.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, the only two people worthy of the award this season were Hammon and Wade. Hammon has unleashed the full potential of this roster. Did they have slightly less wins? Sure. Their quality was so much higher, though, and they dominated the teams that mattered. Wade more than provided Chicago's championship wasn't a fluke. This is a defending champion squad. Very impressed with his team.

I feel like Miller,Thibault and Quinn did not maximize their potential, which makes them ineligible for me. Impressed with what VJ achieved in Dallas but not quite good enough for COY. Brondello and Nygaard have no business in the discussion this year, nor do the lottery coaches.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I entirely agree.

Shepard didn't get noticed because she played for a losing team. The people that vote like to vote for someone that is bright and flashy. Shepard is not bright and flashy.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I entirely agree.

Shepard didn't get noticed because she played for a losing team. The people that vote like to vote for someone that is bright and flashy. Shepard is not bright and flashy.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Award voters have bought into the instant gratification mindset. A high draft pick should dominate immediately, right?

Fact is, players who can step right in and be all world like Candace Parker was as a rookie are extremely rare. Also it's much harder to do than it was 15 years ago when the quality of play wasn't what it is now.

PostPosted: 08/29/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Award voters have bought into the instant gratification mindset. A high draft pick should dominate immediately, right?

Fact is, players who can step right in and be all world like Candace Parker was as a rookie are extremely rare. Also it's much harder to do than it was 15 years ago when the quality of play wasn't what it is now.

To me, that makes the case for people like Young being perfectly reasonable options for Most Improved. Why shouldn't a #1 pick win it if #1s can't be expected to dominate immediately? They have to work hard, and improve significantly to get to that level, just like everyone else.

Shepard had essentially her first healthy season ever. That, combined with getting to play a load more minutes, was where most of her increases came from. They'd have to change the award entirely for someone like Gardner to be involved. She's a rookie. By definition there's nothing to improve from.

johnjohnW wrote:
IMO, the only two people worthy of the award this season were Hammon and Wade. Hammon has unleashed the full potential of this roster. Did they have slightly less wins? Sure. Their quality was so much higher, though, and they dominated the teams that mattered.

They didn't just have fewer wins. If you want to go by the numbers, they got a bit better offensively, and a lot worse defensively. Overall, pretty much any measure - even beyond their win-loss record - says the Aces were better last year. Which makes it a pretty unusual CotY win.

PostPosted: 08/30/22 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

To me, that makes the case for people like Young being perfectly reasonable options for Most Improved. Why shouldn't a #1 pick win it if #1s can't be expected to dominate immediately? They have to work hard, and improve significantly to get to that level, just like everyone else.

Shepard had essentially her first healthy season ever. That, combined with getting to play a load more minutes, was where most of her increases came from. They'd have to change the award entirely for someone like Gardner to be involved. She's a rookie. By definition there's nothing to improve from.

johnjohnW wrote:
IMO, the only two people worthy of the award this season were Hammon and Wade. Hammon has unleashed the full potential of this roster. Did they have slightly less wins? Sure. Their quality was so much higher, though, and they dominated the teams that mattered.

They didn't just have fewer wins. If you want to go by the numbers, they got a bit better offensively, and a lot worse defensively. Overall, pretty much any measure - even beyond their win-loss record - says the Aces were better last year. Which makes it a pretty unusual CotY win.

Because people like Young and Ionescu were already pretty good beforehand. Sure, Young improved her 3 point shooting, but what else did she major leaps in? It is not like her scoring numbers jumped that much.

Call me a biased PHX fan, but the award should have been Cunningham's. She went from inconsistent role player to a legitimate weapon this season. A lot of it had to do with the roster changes, but she also looks like a legitimate starter in this league. That was not necessarily the case last year. The fact she only got 7 votes is pretty absurd to me.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A’ja Wilson Named 2022 Kia WNBA Defensive Player Of The Year

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-aces-aja-wilson-named-2022-kia-wnba-defensive-player-of-the-year/

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All-Defensive First Team:

A’ja Wilson
Breanna Stewart
Sylvia Fowles
Natasha Cloud
Ariel Atkins

All-Defensive Second Team:

Alyssa Thomas
Jonquel Jones
Ezi Magbegor
Brittney Sykes
Gabby Williams

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So AT is 2nd in voting but ends up on the 2nd team Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
zune69 wrote:

* No Griner
* T. Charles divorce
* SDS leave teams
* DT injured
* No Nurse
* Weak bench

This! Some things were completely outta her control, e.g. the whole Griner fiasco, but everything else with the Charles divorce, all star snub 🤡 talk, discord with SDS, that’s all on her. A more experienced coach knows the pulse of team and when to push and prod and when to soothe.

I'm not putting everything on Nygaard...Tina checked out once Griner got detained...SDS checked out before the season started because she didn't get the Coach that she wanted...Both players have a history of being a little difficult to deal with....Nygaard does deserve some blame for not doing a better job of managing the egos (including hers) and being too far up Taurasi's ass. That being said, Phoenix still made the playoffs despite having a depleted roster...I understand not wanting to give the COY award to a HC that finished sub .500, but Nygaard should've finished top 4 and gotten more than 1 vote...Had Tina stayed committed and SDS showed the new HC more support, Phoenix probably wins 20-22 games...Tina is now playing the way she should've played in Washington/Phoenix.

My COY list in order:

Vickie Johnson
Vanessa Nygaard
Tanisha Wright
Noelle Quinn

Becky Hammon
Curt Miller
James Wade

Becky Hammon winning COY is comical (If Vegas wins the championship ill give Becky her props)

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Positional Breakdown of the 10 All-Defensive Honorees:
PG: 1 (Cloud)
SG: 1 (Atkins)
SF: 2 (Sykes, Williams)
PF: 2 (Stewart, Thomas)
C: 4 (Fowles, Magbegor, Wilson, Jones)

The voting process is broken and needs to change.

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

I thought it’s now position less just like the All WNBA teams will be this year.

Don’t have much to quibble with concerning this years defensive selections. Except for AT, she should definitely be on the first team.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/30/22 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I thought it’s now position less just like the All WNBA teams will be this year.

Don’t have much to quibble with concerning this years defensive selections. Except for AT, she should definitely be on the first team.

All-W teams are indeed positionless now but the All-Defensive teams are still by position.

Even if it *weren't* by position, in principle I still think more guards should have made this list. Backcourt disruptors are undervalued because they can't compile the counting stats of blocks and defensive rebounds like the 4/5s can, IMO.

PostPosted: 08/30/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't really argue about any of the winners. There were others, in each category, who could have won too, but it's a vote nothing absolute that could be settled on the floor.

It shall pass.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 08/31/22 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A’ja Wilson Named 2022 Kia WNBA Defensive Player Of The Year

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-aces-aja-wilson-named-2022-kia-wnba-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Anyone notice Defensive PoY and All Defensive team was scheduled to be announced on Friday, Sept. 2nd, at least according to WNBA announcement.
Anyone know why those were announced already?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: