RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/17/23 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
B1G commish Kevin Warren is leaving to become the prez/CEO of the Cubs.

Stayed too long and it's the Bears, not the Cubs. He did more damage than good...

yeah, for the Pac-12 lolz

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/17/23 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Stayed too long and it's the Bears, not the Cubs. He did more damage than good...
You see how much attention I pay to men’s professional sports! Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/28/23 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Here, in perhaps the top women’s basketball conference as February looms, nothing is a given. With four teams ranked in the top 11, six in The Associated Press Top 25 and all six within three games of the league lead, every night seems like musical chairs. And every night, it seems someone else is being left out.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/big-tens-depth-poses-strong-challenge-for-womens-title-run/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 01/28/23 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State head coach Suzy Merchant was involved in a one-person 'minor' car crash. Merchant is fine/stable and undergoing tests at the hospital. Cause of the accident is reported as a "medical incident." Merchant will not be with the team tomorrow against #22 ranked Illinois and Dean Lockwood will serve as coach for the game.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2023/01/28/michigan-state-womens-basketball-suzy-merchant-illinois/69851304007/

undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/28/23 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Michigan State head coach Suzy Merchant was involved in a one-person 'minor' car crash. Merchant is fine/stable and undergoing tests at the hospital. Cause of the accident is reported as a "medical incident." Merchant will not be with the team tomorrow against #22 ranked Illinois and Dean Lockwood will serve as coach for the game.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2023/01/28/michigan-state-womens-basketball-suzy-merchant-illinois/69851304007/

Scary! Hope she is OK.

PostPosted: 01/29/23 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:

Oh wow! Hopefully it was something like dehydration and not something more serious!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/31/23 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Let's talk midseason thoughts on Big Ten All-Freshman team.

I'd consider these three locks and front-runners for conference Freshman of the Year:
--Maya Braun, Minnesota
--Yardin Garzon, Indiana
--Cotie McMahon, Ohio State

I haven't seen Braun much but it's more likely to come from one of the contending teams I would think. Have been really impressed with the other two. McMahon especially looks like a pro (soon to be) to me...big strong body with skills but needs to develop the three.

Three weeks later and this comment is aging very well. McMahon was on a tear for a while, but defenses are starting to learn that she can't really shoot outside of 8 feet. Garzon, however, has quietly been leading the conference in 3p% on a paltry 5 attempts per game. Obviously it helps a ton when you have Mac Holmes inside attracting so much attention, but still, Garzon's numbers have been incredible. It's her award to lose at this point.

After MacMahon and Garzon, there are three other spots on the All-Freshman team up for grabs. I thought the Gophers had a chance to land multiple players, especially since the media has touted that freshman class so highly. But they've only won one game since Christmas and have looked worse and worse throughout the season.... Doesn't help that Braun's shooting numbers have taken a sharp nose dive. At this point I think it would be unfair to put multiple Gophers on the all freshman team.

My team right now would be as follows:
1. Yarden Garzon, Indiana (FOY)
2. Cotie McMahon, OSU
3. Hannah Stuelke, Iowa
4. Mara Braun, Minnesota
5. Kaylene Smikle, Rutgers

Other candidates:
-Serah Willaism of Wisconsin averaging 12.8ppg on 54% shooting
-Shay Ciezki of PSU averaging 11.1ppg, shooting 40% from 3.
-One of the other Gophers?

The all-freshman awards are always awkward because you have to weigh volume versus efficiency versus team results. Often the key freshman on bad teams will have high volume but bad efficiency which isn't translating to wins (ex: the Gophers, Smikle, Williams, Ciezki). But then you have freshmen on good teams playing smaller roles but doing really well in those roles (ex: Stuelke). In conference play, for example, Stuelke is playing just 14.3mpg but averaging 9.2ppg and 5.8rbg in that limited time.

PostPosted: 01/31/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This table shows the stats per 40 minutes in B1G conference of all freshmen playing >10mpg in conference play -- aka "key rotation players." Hannah Stuelke leads all freshmen averaging 25.8 points per 40 minutes and 16.8 rebounds per 40 minutes. She's a beast. Twisted Evil

Data courtesy of me playing around in Her Hoop Stats this morning.

PostPosted: 01/31/23 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might as well talk conference POY as well. Caitlin Clark is the media darling, but I think the case for MacKenzie Holmes is equally if not more compelling if Indiana wins the conference. Iowa and Indiana's two head to head matchups will be critical.

Last season, the ten 1st team all conference honorees were quite spread out amongst the teams, thanks to Veronica Burton, Nia Clouden, and McKenna Marisa having outstanding seasons on middling/bad teams:

Grace Berger
CAITLIN CLARK
Monika Czinano
Angel Reese
NAZ HILLMON
NIA CLOUDEN
VERONICA BURTON
Taylor Mikesell
JACY SHELDON
Makenna Marisa

This season, I don't think any of the middling teams really have a Burton/Clouden type individual standout, so I'd tend to concentrate my ballot amongst the top 2 players from the best teams:

Caitlin Clark+ Monika Czinano, Iowa
MacKenzie Holmes + Grace Berger, Indiana
Leigha Brown + Laila Phelia, Michigan
Makira Cook, Illinois
Diamond Miller, Maryland
Taylor Mikesell, Ohio State

The tenth player, and spilling over into the 2nd team, could be any of Emily Kiser, Yarden Garzon, Shyanne Sellers, Cotie McMahon, Rebecca Mikulasikova, Jazz Shelley, Alexis Markowski, Genesis Bryant, Abby Meyers, Shyanne Sellers, or McKenna Marissa.

PostPosted: 02/17/23 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hadn’t seen this noted before, but besides Holmes taking a 5th year next year, so will Scalia for IU.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/17/23 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I hadn’t seen this noted before, but besides Holmes taking a 5th year next year, so will Scalia for IU.

This is news but not really a huge surprise to the fanbase. Holmes had unofficially hinted as early as last season that she planned to "play as a Hoosier for as long as she's allowed" or something to that effect. And Scalia had indicated upon entering the portal that she sought a destination that would allow her to use both of her remaining years of eligibility.

PostPosted: 02/27/23 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that Iowa got the #2 seed for the B1G tournament. How did they get that over Maryland, who had an identical record, while both teams split their 2 games? Obviously, it doesn't matter, as 2 or 3, they were destined to clash before the tourney final, but still....I was just curious.

PostPosted: 02/28/23 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I noticed that Iowa got the #2 seed for the B1G tournament. How did they get that over Maryland, who had an identical record, while both teams split their 2 games? Obviously, it doesn't matter, as 2 or 3, they were destined to clash before the tourney final, but still....I was just curious.

The tie breaker is the teams' records against the top team, or the next highest team, etc, until the tie is broken. Iowa beat Indiana but Maryland didn't.

PostPosted: 02/28/23 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://bigten.org/documents/2023/2/27//2022_23_WBB_All_Big_Ten_Teams_Only.pdf?id=7857

Link is to a PDF that neatly lists all of the B1G all-conference awards.

Take-aways from me:
-Pretty incredible that Indiana's entire starting 5 earned at minimum an honorable mention. That's a testament to the balance and well-roundedness of their roster this season.

-For Coach of the Year, there's always a choice to be made between "coach that turned an awful team into a good team" and "coach that turned a good team into an elite team." This year that played out as Shauna Green vs. Teri Moren. I think Moren deserved it (and national COY) but I wish Green could have gotten a shout out somehow.

-Hannah Stuelke won 6thPOY! I did not see that coming. I expected Scalia of Indiana or Alexendar of Maryland, but am very happy Stuelke got the nod. Her per40 numbers are top 10 in the conference in points and rebounds, and is also top 10 in FG%. Her impact off the bench for Iowa has been undeniable.

-All Freshman team. Garzon and McMahon were locks. But despite winning 6th POY, Stuelke was snubbed in favor higher usage freshmen on bad teams: Braun, Williams, and Smikle. I would have given FOY to Garzon as she is the more versatile player than McMahon, who may have the higher ceiling but isn't quite under control yet. In fairness, McMahon had to shoulder a much heavier load for OSU and did remarkably well. Garzon was the beneficiary of a lot of open looks having Holmes on her team.

PostPosted: 03/30/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Five different B1G teams have made the Elite 8 in the past 3 seasons.

Indiana 20-21
Michigan 21-22
Iowa, MD, OSU 22-23

And were it not for MD and Michigan having played 1 fewer game than Iowa and OSU last year, the same 5 schools would have also won at least a share of the regular season conference title in the past 2 seasons.

I find those two things neat!

PostPosted: 03/31/23 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Indiana 20-21
Michigan 21-22
Iowa, MD, OSU 22-23

And were it not for MD and Michigan having played 1 fewer game than Iowa and OSU last year, the same 5 schools would have also won at least a share of the regular season conference title in the past 2 seasons.

😎

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/02/23 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Indiana 20-21
Michigan 21-22
Iowa, MD, OSU 22-23

😎

The B1G had a really good year in WBB. Many exciting games (mostly at the top half of the B1G), 7 teams in the NCAA tournament, three teams in the Elite 8 and 1 in the FF, the Catilin Clark phenomena. Looking to next year, Minnesota and MSU have two new great coaches coming in (Dawn Plitzuweit and Robyn Fralick, respectively) and it's going to be even more competitive. I'd like to see Michigan up there with Iowa, Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State. We'll see.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure Michigan will take a step up next year unless they can get some better guards in the portal. No offense, just my opinion on the outside looking in. But if Olivia Olson is as good as advertised they have a very bright future from 2024 onward.

USC and UCLA joining the conference then will also make the league even deeper!

PostPosted: 04/03/23 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
USC and UCLA joining the conference then will also make the league even deeper!

and eventually others...........................perhaps..............................🔮

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Not sure Michigan will take a step up next year unless they can get some better guards in the portal. No offense, just my opinion on the outside looking in. But if Olivia Olson is as good as advertised they have a very bright future from 2024 onward.

No offense taken. I agree with you but I can still hope/dream.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/15/23 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Michigan WBB, has anybody heard anything about or from Varejão? She does have another year of eligibility but I haven't heard anything; She seemed to just disappear. I know she's in the portal but I'm also wondering if Nolan comes back and if not, where she might end up.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/15/23 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Indiana 20-21
Michigan 21-22
Iowa, MD, OSU 22-23

😎

The B1G had a really good year in WBB. Many exciting games (mostly at the top half of the B1G), 7 teams in the NCAA tournament, three teams in the Elite 8 and 1 in the FF, the Catilin Clark phenomena. Looking to next year, Minnesota and MSU have two new great coaches coming in (Dawn Plitzuweit and Robyn Fralick, respectively) and it's going to be even more competitive. I'd like to see Michigan up there with Iowa, Maryland, Indiana and Ohio State. We'll see.

Now there's a (near) understatement! I really thought the B1G was THE conference to watch for consistent competitiveness. And - tho not near the top - I was impressed to see Illinois' ascent. Love to see a *turnaround* like that for WI and MN, too.

PostPosted: 04/20/23 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Re: Michigan WBB, has anybody heard anything about or from Varejão? She does have another year of eligibility but I haven't heard anything; She seemed to just disappear. I know she's in the portal but I'm also wondering if Nolan comes back and if not, where she might end up.

Isobel was on campus this week and will graduate at the end of the month along with Nolan and Sidor.

KBA was busy recently signing Lauren Hansen from Missouri who expects to play point as a grad transfer. Also grad transferring is Elissa Brett from Bowling Green.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 06/02/23 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moren gets an extension and a boost in pay that averages 1.3 million/yr. https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2023/6/2/womens-basketball-indiana-university-iu-womens-basketball-coach-teri-moren-agree-to-extended-contract-thru-2029

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/02/23 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Isobel was on campus this week and will graduate at the end of the month along with Nolan and Sidor.

KBA was busy recently signing Lauren Hansen from Missouri who expects to play point as a grad transfer. Also grad transferring is Elissa Brett from Bowling Green.

Isobel Verajāo is grad transferring to Syracuse. Read all the threads here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: