RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/03/22 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I thought I posted this the other night but can't find it now so maybe I posted it in some random spot Smile.

Anyway - just wondering what the thoughts are on the state of the Penn State program. I have an interest due to Kieger's time as a player and coach at Marquette - I don't hold anything against her - I'm rooting for her to do well.

Pac-12er here. I too have been rooting for Kieger since her first year, but at this point I just don't think she's going to make it happen at PSU. Recruiting has been a struggle for her entire tenure and even with the 2nd best scorer in the B1G last year they still lost 13 league games. This SHOULD be her best team yet but I think anything better than 8-10 is a reach, unfortunately.

Question to B1G people, though: Emily Kizer. What the hell happened there? By far the most improved player in the country (at least statistically). What did she do to her game in the off-season to justify being a legit 20-point scorer on an undefeated team?

PostPosted: 12/29/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KBA joined the 500 win club last night, making her the 5th active B1G coach to reach the milestone (most of any conference).

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/30/22 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
KBA joined the 500 win club last night, making her the 5th active B1G coach to reach the milestone (most of any conference).

I miss KBA so much in NYC. But she’s doing such amazing things in Michigan that I think I have to be okay with it. Congrats, and here’s to many more.

PostPosted: 01/01/23 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With just four games into league play, who thought only one team would be undefeated? This season is going to be fun!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/01/23 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
With just four games into league play, who thought only one team would be undefeated? This season is going to be fun!

Except when your own favorite team unexpectedly loses, that is. Shocked Laughing

More important than ever to defend your home court.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/02/23 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say here....I'm beginning to feel that The Big Ten is, imo, The Strongest Conference for depth, parity and unpredictable outcomes. The ACC has to be the only P5 close to its equal. And it could be they're even a bit stronger - maybe the stat hounds can prove something one way or another.

But it's definitely great to see the depth of quality in the B1G.

PostPosted: 01/05/23 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/DreeEdwards44/status/1611093414505766934?s=20&t=qB7k0zujXOELUZAUVaIwlQ

Deundra Edwards Speaks on why she has yet to suit up for baylor this season. It's definitely worth reading to the very end . Sad Confused

PostPosted: 01/05/23 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://twitter.com/DreeEdwards44/status/1611093414505766934?s=20&t=qB7k0zujXOELUZAUVaIwlQ

Deundra Edwards Speaks on why she has yet to suit up for baylor this season. It's definitely worth reading to the very end . Sad Confused

Classless move on her part. There’s a lot more to the story Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/05/23 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I definitely agree on both counts , but it seems edwards is playing chess with coach elzy hoping for a campaign to start which can only backfire when Coach does not respond nor signs off smh . Kids these days should definitely think twice or get a better supporting cast.

PostPosted: 01/05/23 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I definitely agree on both counts , but it seems edwards is playing chess with coach elzy hoping for a campaign to start which can only backfire when Coach does not respond nor signs off smh . Kids these days should definitely think twice or get a better supporting cast.

This is in the wrong thread, FYI.

For the life of me, I will never understand why the rules allow former coaches to do this. Why Elzy has any say in what Edwards does now is ludicrous.

If she really is blocking her from playing (and there's no wiggle room - she either is or she isn't), it is particularly galling given that Edwards transferred to Kentucky in the first place.

Last edited by PUmatty on 01/05/23 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/05/23 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OH crap lol this does not say B12 lol its the B10 welp . Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/05/23 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

There are two sides to every story and who knows if her allegation is true. I doubt Elzy will respond. Edwards had a rocky stay at UK & I was surprised she wasn’t kicked out of school. I agree that she needs a better supporting cast.

~UK~

PostPosted: 01/05/23 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Statement from UK Athletics regarding the Dre’una Edwards transfer situation:

“We were asked by Baylor to sign an NCAA No Participation Opportunity form, certifying that Dre’una Edwards would not have had an opportunity to participate if she had stayed at Kentucky”

“That would not have been correct; Dre’una would have had the opportunity to participate if she had stayed. Dre’una transferred with the understanding that she would have to sit out unless she graduated, which she did not do."

Howee

PostPosted: 01/05/23 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
“That would not have been correct; Dre’una would have had the opportunity to participate if she had stayed. Dre’una transferred with the understanding that she would have to sit out unless she graduated, which she did not do."

That implies it's a Kentucky thing, not an Elzy thing. Simple records.

PostPosted: 01/06/23 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

So you think it was OK for Baylor to ask UK to sign a ‘No Participation Opportunity’ form for Edwards which was a lie? It sounds like Baylor knew she couldn’t play because she hadn’t graduated and was trying to find a way around that rule.

Elzy addresses the allegations made by Edwards:

https://twitter.com/bbntonight/status/1611420360783630350?s=61&t=dl3lCJu0FypfA8yXg2lGKg

Howee

PostPosted: 01/06/23 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Howee wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

So you think it was OK for Baylor to ask UK to sign a ‘No Participation Opportunity’ form for Edwards which was a lie? It sounds like Baylor knew she couldn’t play because she hadn’t graduated and was trying to find a way around that rule.

My response had nothing to do with Baylor's intentions; I was responding to the implication that this was all Elzy's *fault*, and she was vindictively delaying Dre's career. She's obviously made it clear that KY has followed the rules, so....it's a Kentucky thing, and....in wbb....Elzy is their chief; she duly accepts responsibility for doing the right thing.

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's talk midseason thoughts on Big Ten All-Freshman team.

I'd consider these three locks and front-runners for conference Freshman of the Year:
--Maya Braun, Minnesota
--Yardin Garzon, Indiana
--Cotie McMahon, Ohio State

Also a likely lock at this point:
--Amaya Battle, Minnesota
She probably should be a lock based on leading all freshman in APG and RPG. Only reason I consider in a lower tier is that she already has Braun on her team.

Bubble candidates for the fifth All-Freshman honoree:
--Mallory Heyer, Minnesota (Would be a lock on another team probably but being the third best freshman on a middling team will work against her.)
--Hannah Stuelke, Iowa (Not putting up gaudy volume but has very nice reb per 40 minutes numbers and has taken on more minutes as the season has gone on.)

Other challengers?
--Kaylene Smikle, Rutgers. 16.7 PPG but very inefficient and on a bad team.
--Shay Ciezki, Penn State. 10.8 ppg.
--Maty Wilke, Wisconsin. 13.2 ppg.
--Chyra Evans, Michigan. No impressive numbers but important rotation player on a good team.
--Serah Williams, Wisconsin. A solid post on a terrible team.
--Maggie Mendelsson, Nebraska. very talented player but probably joined the team too late in the season to be considered.

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was happy to see Grace Berger came back from injury today.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sydney Hilliard quit basketball (Wisconsin) https://uwbadgers.com/news/2023/1/8/hilliard-stepping-away-from-badger-womens-basketball-program.aspx

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

😎👍

PostPosted: 01/09/23 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Same, the injury bug has been bad this year and I love when players come back. Plus, I absolutely love Berger and her game.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/09/23 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How the Big Ten approached women's basketball scheduling to raise national profile, prep for NCAA tournament

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-big-ten-approached-womens-basketball-scheduling-to-raise-national-profile-prep-for-ncaa-tournament-224043578.html

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/23 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Let's talk midseason thoughts on Big Ten All-Freshman team.

I'd consider these three locks and front-runners for conference Freshman of the Year:
--Maya Braun, Minnesota
--Yardin Garzon, Indiana
--Cotie McMahon, Ohio State

I haven't seen Braun much but it's more likely to come from one of the contending teams I would think. Have been really impressed with the other two. McMahon especially looks like a pro (soon to be) to me...big strong body with skills but needs to develop the three.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/12/23 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G commish Kevin Warren is leaving to become the prez/CEO of the Cubs.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 01/16/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stayed too long and it's the Bears, not the Cubs. He did more damage than good...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: