RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2022-2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/06/23 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10 out of the 12 players on UConn's roster have now been unavailable for games due to injury, two of them unavailable for the entire season.

I have no idea what Patterson's injury was in the Xavier game. Does anyone?
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/07/23 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i think it is evident DeBerry is in CDs doghouse, she was the last reserve off the bench again with CD acting as head coach

Is it a dog house though?

Our two best players with Azzi out are Dorka and Aaliyah. Who are you going to sit so she can play?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/07/23 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Our two best players with Azzi out are Dorka and Aaliyah. Who are you going to sit so she can play?

Shocked I heartily disagree; Lou is better than Dorka, and with Azzi out, Nika is more important to have on the floor than Dorka.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/07/23 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Shocked I heartily disagree; Lou is better than Dorka, and with Azzi out, Nika is more important to have on the floor than Dorka.

Fine, but I stand by my comment. This has nothing to do with guard play. Who do you sit, Dorka or Aaliyah, so DeBarry can get out of the "dog house?"

The fact that you don't get this is astounding to me. We have 7 players. When our two best post players are still in the lineup, why would you sit them extended periods for DeBarry to play? We are short on guards and none of those three players can remotely play guard, so they can't all be on the floor together, so someone has to sit. If you want Amari out there more than Dorka or AE, kindly have your head examined.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/07/23 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Fine, but I stand by my comment. This has nothing to do with guard play. Who do you sit, Dorka or Aaliyah, so DeBarry can get out of the "dog house?"

The fact that you don't get this is astounding to me. We have 7 players. When our two best post players are still in the lineup, why would you sit them extended periods for DeBarry to play? We are short on guards and none of those three players can remotely play guard, so they can't all be on the floor together, so someone has to sit. If you want Amari out there more than Dorka or AE, kindly have your head examined.

There's no need to be rude and disrespectful (see your last sentence).

I don't see where anyone has suggested that DeBerry should play more than Juhasz or Edwards. It's because we have only 7 players that DeBerry should see more court time. Not more than Juhasz or Edwards, but more than the very spot or garbage minutes she gets now.

In games decided by less than 20 points, Edward has averaged 37 minutes and Juhasz has averaged 36 minutes. I don't see that as sustainable for the season, including the (hopeful) last four games of the NCAA tournament (sweet sixteen through championship), which is how I think UConn should be planning their season around.

Playing the bench has multiple purposes, and I see these as the most prominent:
1) resting the starters, keeping them fresh for the rest of the game and season
2) improving the bench players, for when there are injuries and foul trouble, and for the future
These principles are also why I think Bettencourt should get more minutes, too.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/07/23 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I don't see where anyone has suggested that DeBerry should play more than Juhasz or Edwards. It's because we have only 7 players that DeBerry should see more court time. Not more than Juhasz or Edwards, but more than the very spot or garbage minutes she gets now.

In games decided by less than 20 points, Edward has averaged 37 minutes and Juhasz has averaged 36 minutes. I don't see that as sustainable for the season, including the (hopeful) last four games of the NCAA tournament (sweet sixteen through championship), which is how I think UConn should be planning their season around.

2) improving the bench players, for when there are injuries and foul trouble, and for the future

Not a Huskies' fan, but I agree with your reasoning. Clearly Amari is not close to being as effective as Aaliyah or Dorka, but rest for starters and getting practice/building confidence is immensely important for Amari. UConn is involved in many blowouts and unless Amari is in the doghouse, she should be getting minutes in these games that are not in doubt. She played 18 minutes against Xaxier, which was great (of course Aaliyah was injured in that game and only played 14 minutes), but only 11 minutes against completely overmatched Butler and only 6 minutes against Marquette (which was a closer game).

Obviously Geno has been ridiculously successful as a coach so I am not questioning his overall coaching methods, but he seldom has played with such a thin bench, and so his method of only giving minutes to players who prove their worth in practice might need to be tweaked in these injury-plagued times. Amari has played 110 minutes in 15 games, so she has averaged under 7.5 minutes per game. With Brady coming back from injury next year and Patterson being a sophomore, does Amari really think she'll get any of Dorka's minutes next season? If I were her, I would consider transferring if I cannot get on the floor with all the injuries this season. Would any top 25 teams want her? I would think so.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/07/23 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="singinerd54"]
ucbart wrote:

LOL. You realize you're talking to the queen of rude and disrespectful? Every person who has a different opinion is a hater or stupid or both. That's pretty much the Bart way...

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 01/07/23 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

LOL. You realize you're talking to the queen of rude and disrespectful? Every person who has a different opinion is a hater or stupid or both. That's pretty much the Bart way...

Ummm.....that's not gonna help here. Ever. ucbart - like most of us - has strong opinions but isn't always "rude and disprespectful". I think singinerd54 handled it just fine.

Re: The Topic At Hand? I can see both points, but let's face it - any team down to 8 players has to be glad they have at least 3 of each (g & f) Just ask Oregon. Razz Not a lot of luxury there in rotation/substitution decisions.

PostPosted: 01/07/23 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Not a Huskies' fan, but I agree with your reasoning. Clearly Amari is not close to being as effective as Aaliyah or Dorka, but rest for starters and getting practice/building confidence is immensely important for Amari. UConn is involved in many blowouts and unless Amari is in the doghouse, she should be getting minutes in these games that are not in doubt. She played 18 minutes against Xaxier, which was great (of course Aaliyah was injured in that game and only played 14 minutes), but only 11 minutes against completely overmatched Butler and only 6 minutes against Marquette (which was a closer game).

Obviously Geno has been ridiculously successful as a coach so I am not questioning his overall coaching methods, but he seldom has played with such a thin bench, and so his method of only giving minutes to players who prove their worth in practice might need to be tweaked in these injury-plagued times. Amari has played 110 minutes in 15 games, so she has averaged under 7.5 minutes per game. With Brady coming back from injury next year and Patterson being a sophomore, does Amari really think she'll get any of Dorka's minutes next season? If I were her, I would consider transferring if I cannot get on the floor with all the injuries this season. Would any top 25 teams want her? I would think so.

Back in the 2014 season Stewart called for walk-ons because UConn only had 8 on the roster. I think the 4 titles in a row were all done with a short roster. You can count the players or you can count the usable players. Until Bueckers 1st year UConn had a 7 man rotation because the other 2 or 3 players couldn't play at the level Geno requires and they were never going to. Since 2021 UConn's usable depth has improved a lot, mostly due to two really productive freshman classes. Next season UConn's usable roster will (hopefully) be 9 or 10 deep. Of course I said that last June.
The strain on the posts will improve now that Griffin is back. She can take 25 min/game from Edwards and Juhasz. And Fudd will do the same for Muhl/Senechal. Deberry is an emergency player only. I've watched every minute Deberry has played. She is sloppy, very sloppy. She has offense and is a talented shot blocker but she is lost in the motion offense. At least Patterson can set a screen. Deberry looks 6'6 and can run the floor but she throws away too many easy plays and at times just stands around. Just like a freshman except she's a sophomore. Now I would love to see her wake up. Her teammates like her. A motivated Deberry would solve most of UConn's post shortage, this year and next. She has moments. But despite her eye appeal she just never produces any consistency. And usually has more to's than pts. I wouldn't have been shocked if she left last season and I won't be if she leaves after this season. She needs a "live and let live" coach who plays a zone.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my comment was slightly tongue in cheek -- but up until now, i see more potential (or use) in DeBerry for what the team is going through this season... however patterson and bettencourt and recently the first 2 off the bench.

i would love to say i see something in patterson, but i don't. she's not tall, she isn't quick or super athletic, she doesn't score or rebound well... i guess i don't get it.

but the one game in-between CD's recent head-coaching gig i think deberry was in before either of the aforementioned 2.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/08/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

i would love to say i see something in patterson, but i don't. she's not tall, she isn't quick or super athletic, she doesn't score or rebound well... i guess i don't get it.

I'm not too convinced about Patterson either. She kind of fills up space. I was thinking this may be her best opportunity/year to play with all the injuries, but then I see that UConn's top two recruits next year are both small guards, so I guess it will be between Patterson and DeBerry behind Brady and Edwards. I actually wasn't all that impressed with Brady in the U18s either, but she is supposedly better than Patterson at least. I do really like Edwards so she will likely be the main post for them. If she can get even a little support from the others they should be fine. They've got some guards with good size as well.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/09/23 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

I'm not too convinced about Patterson either. She kind of fills up space. I was thinking this may be her best opportunity/year to play with all the injuries, but then I see that UConn's top two recruits next year are both small guards, so I guess it will be between Patterson and DeBerry behind Brady and Edwards. I actually wasn't all that impressed with Brady in the U18s either, but she is supposedly better than Patterson at least. I do really like Edwards so she will likely be the main post for them. If she can get even a little support from the others they should be fine. They've got some guards with good size as well.

Patterson has all the athleticism and none of the basketball-hopefully she stays in Storrs this summer and works on the basketball.

As for the recruiting class next year, I have a feeling that Jana El Alfy could be the gem of this class. She is a 6'4" Egyptian, do it all forward in the mold of Stewart. From what I've read and seen, she is probably the most highly sought after foreign player in quite some time.

I want Amari to develop more than anyone, I do. She is sort of local to me, she seems like a great kid, but she is slowwwwww.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/09/23 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that you don't get this is astounding to me. We have 7 players. When our two best post players are still in the lineup, why would you sit them extended periods for DeBarry to play? We are short on guards and none of those three players can remotely play guard, so they can't all be on the floor together, so someone has to sit. If you want Amari out there more than Dorka or AE, kindly have your head examined.[/quote]
Quote:

My apologies-I don't like to offend anyone and I don't particularly think I said was that bad, but you took it that way and I need to recognize that.

****I'm a passionate fan, an upstate NY'er(it's just how we are), Italian & Irish, and most importantly, a lifelong restaurant person. We are different bunch.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/09/23 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
My apologies-I don't like to offend anyone and I don't particularly think I said was that bad, but you took it that way and I need to recognize that.

****I'm a passionate fan, an upstate NY'er(it's just how we are), Italian & Irish, and most importantly, a lifelong restaurant person. We are different bunch.

I was born and raised in Rochester, so I a) get it, b) wasn't offended, and c) can be an overly passionate fan myself. We (as a collective on this board) have chased away some to many quality posters over the years, and I think the snide comments probably contribute to that (I, too, have participated in this and have been part of the problem).

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I was born and raised in Rochester, so I a) get it, b) wasn't offended, and c) can be an overly passionate fan myself. We (as a collective on this board) have chased away some to many quality posters over the years, and I think the snide comments probably contribute to that (I, too, have participated in this and have been part of the problem).

Ahhhh....THERE'S the problem! Y'all didn't get far enough to the westernmost part of NY. You'll notice, *I* grew up in Niagara Falls and you'll notice no snide-ities in my posts (unless you count the ones directed at Myrtle. Razz Laughing)

PostPosted: 01/09/23 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ahhhh....THERE'S the problem! Y'all didn't get far enough to the westernmost part of NY. You'll notice, *I* grew up in Niagara Falls and you'll notice no snide-ities in my posts (unless you count the ones directed at Myrtle. Razz Laughing)

Not sure how you have time to post such inaccurate slander here when you have 75 feet of snow to shovel!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And of course myrtle counts!

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Not sure how you have time to post such inaccurate slander here when you have 75 feet of snow to shovel!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, hell NO. I got outta there decades ago, when the gettin' was good! Cool I live just west of Philly now.

singinerd54 wrote:
And of course myrtle counts!

Only on her fingers and toes. Wink Laughing

PostPosted: 01/09/23 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

That's because you're basically Canadian! Lolololllll.

In all seriousness. I've been in different areas of the country and been told that upstate NY'ers just have a different attitude and "hardness" to them. It's the long, cold, dark, winters. Lol

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/09/23 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

In all seriousness. I've been in different areas of the country and been told that upstate NY'ers just have a different attitude and "hardness" to them. It's the long, cold, dark, winters. Lol

I think it’s because that’s where the Canadians secretly dump all their rudeness so they can maintain their nice reputation. Wink

PostPosted: 01/09/23 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I think it’s because that’s where the Canadians secretly dump all their rudeness so they can maintain their nice reputation. Wink

It's true-ask any true NNY'er, especially restaurant & retail ones. Canadians are a NIGHTMARE. LOL. They have zero chill, are totally demanding, persnickety, and arrogant.....and that's not even counting the ones from Quebec.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Queenie wrote:

It's true-ask any true NNY'er, especially restaurant & retail ones. Canadians are a NIGHTMARE. LOL. They have zero chill, are totally demanding, persnickety, and arrogant.....and that's not even counting the ones from Quebec.

Now, if there's any truth to that, it's probably cuz they're *bracing* for what they expect to get in NY. Razz

I've traveled across Canada - from Vancouver to Montreal - by road trip, and lodging with friends. Canadians are (generally) far more hospitable, accommodating, friendly and way less arrogant, demanding, and pushy than the average urban American. They also drink beer, smoke pot, and cuss like sailors. But all in a humble way. Cool

Now, when I was a kid living in Niagara, they were known for the weird-but-understandable practice of cramming 23 people into a vehicle, crossing into the USA, buying scads of clothing at K-mart, DONNING many layers of new clothing, and tossing their old apparel out the in the parking lot - all to avoid paying duties on 'imported' goods. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/09/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When's the last time a thread explicitly about UConn has gone off on such a big tangent? Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
When's the last time a thread explicitly about UConn has gone off on such a big tangent? Laughing

Well.....at least it's not a South Carolina derailing. And, UConn DOES keep a strong pipeline of Canadian girls flowing down to CT. There is that!

PostPosted: 01/09/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

You mean it’s not a Yukon thread? Shocked Wink

In any case, someone seems to be fit for duty at St. John’s on Wednesday. You kids have fun without me. I have plans that night that don’t involve going to Long Island to be surrounded by even more UConn fans than usual at a St. John’s game. If the expected happens, it happens. If the unexpected happens, LOL, maybe that’ll trick someone into hiring Tartamella after the season.

PostPosted: 01/10/23 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
You mean it’s not a Yukon thread? Shocked Wink

Awesome! Smile Smile Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: