RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2022-2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 12/23/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yikes. UConn is snake bit. Now the problem of not having/developing a bench comes to the forefront.

That's been a common comment the last several years but it has had little basis in fact lately.

2021 - Freshmen Bueckers, Muhl & Edwards played extended minutes and made significant contributions.

2022 - Freshmen Fudd and Ducharme (when healthy) played extended minutes and made significant contributions.

2023 - Freshman Patterson has been played to the limit of her fouls. (Freshman Brady was expected to play until her injury ended her season before it started.

Add to that the fact that UConn doesn't fill their OOC sched. with the bottom half of D1 like several other teams. When you are playing SE Oshcosh St (at home) you can give the end of your bench game time but not when you are playing ranked teams.

EXAMPLE:
How deep into the bench did Tara go against SCar? In a 44 min game only six trees played more than 8 minutes on a roster of 14.
It's easy to empty your bench playing CalPoly et al. In Stanford's first 9 games they played 4 teams ranked below 200 and only one team in the top 50.
https://masseyratings.com/cbw2023/7582

Of course, now that the Tress are into the tough PAC12 sched. I don't expect them to play as deep. Like today, against conference power Cal. (Massey No 77) Rolling Eyes

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/23/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Will be interesting to see if coaches/teams try to take advantage of this:

Quote:
It was recently revealed that Patterson is legally blind in her right eye.

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/homestead-grad-patterson-learning-on-the-fly-at-uconn/

Gadzooks, that is certainly new and shocking info to me. In the video Patterson doesn't even uses the qualifier "legally"; she just says she's blind in one eye. That has to mean she has significantly diminished depth perception and peripheral vision.

Thus far, Patterson has not shown a good shooting touch from any distance and gets blocked a lot trying for putbacks. Now, one has to wonder how much of her shooting, court vision and timing are affected by her blindness.

Well, in the story you included a link to, it clearly states she is "legally blind" in her right eye and has "no peripheral vision" in that eye, which seems to imply she does have "some" vision. It also states, this is an inherited condition that her dad also had and that he played pro basketball. She had that condition when ranked as a top 10 player and averaging 20+/10+ in high school. She's been a great player in spite of this condition of having limited vision in one eye. "Just the facts." It's bewildering that UConn fans who seem to know what each UConn recruit and player has for breakfast did not know about this condition of a top recruit and current player.

~rAf
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 12/24/22 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/homestead-grad-patterson-learning-on-the-fly-at-uconn/

Gadzooks, that is certainly new and shocking info to me. In the video Patterson doesn't even uses the qualifier "legally"; she just says she's blind in one eye. That has to mean she has significantly diminished depth perception and peripheral vision.

Thus far, Patterson has not shown a good shooting touch from any distance and gets blocked a lot trying for putbacks. Now, one has to wonder how much of her shooting, court vision and timing are affected by her blindness.

i believe against maryland she hit a few mid-range jumpers... haven't seen any attempts before or after that game

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 12/24/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Well, in the story you included a link to, it clearly states she is "legally blind" in her right eye and has "no peripheral vision" in that eye, which seems to imply she does have "some" vision. It also states, this is an inherited condition that her dad also had and that he played pro basketball. She had that condition when ranked as a top 10 player and averaging 20+/10+ in high school. She's been a great player in spite of this condition of having limited vision in one eye. "Just the facts." It's bewildering that UConn fans who seem to know what each UConn recruit and player has for breakfast did not know about this condition of a top recruit and current player.

LOL okay Karen. This isn’t the Boneyard. I guess since JPM is gone from Duke you need to direct your unhinged ranting towards all things UConn.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/24/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
yikes. UConn is snake bit. Now the problem of not having/developing a bench comes to the forefront.

That's been a common comment the last several years but it has had little basis in fact lately.

2021 - Freshmen Bueckers, Muhl & Edwards played extended minutes and made significant contributions.

2022 - Freshmen Fudd and Ducharme (when healthy) played extended minutes and made significant contributions.

2023 - Freshman Patterson has been played to the limit of her fouls. (Freshman Brady was expected to play until her injury ended her season before it started.

Add to that the fact that UConn doesn't fill their OOC sched. with the bottom half of D1 like several other teams. When you are playing SE Oshcosh St (at home) you can give the end of your bench game time but not when you are playing ranked teams.

EXAMPLE:
How deep into the bench did Tara go against SCar? In a 44 min game only six trees played more than 8 minutes on a roster of 14.
It's easy to empty your bench playing CalPoly et al. In Stanford's first 9 games they played 4 teams ranked below 200 and only one team in the top 50.

Of course, now that the Tress are into the tough PAC12 sched. I don't expect them to play as deep. Like today, against conference power Cal. (Massey No 77) Rolling Eyes

In that same game, SC played 12 players, with two (2) playing 30+ minutes, and five (5) playing 20+ minutes. Two of those - Amihere and Hall - were reserves, and starters Saxton and Fletcher played 17 and 11 minutes, respectively. Reserve Raven Johnson also played 18 minutes. So seven (7) players who played at least 17 minutes, plus Fletcher, and Cardoso played 8 minutes.

The Gamecock bench scored 34 pts, 21 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 steals. Compared to Stanford scoring 9 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 blocks (all from Prechtel who led the team in 32 minutes), and 2 steals from their reserves. Really Brink kept Stanford as close in that game as it was......

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/24/22 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

i believe against maryland she hit a few mid-range jumpers... haven't seen any attempts before or after that game

She did hit two short jumpers in that game, which was encouraging since she really hadn't taken many outside shots up to that time and made few. She also has trouble scoring underneath.

I think I've said this before, but she gives the appearance of a player who had no trouble just jumping up and putting the ball in the basket when underneath, even without post move footwork, against relatively small and nonathletic high schoolers, but who can't so easily outjump the bigger players in college. In addition, she often tends to bring the ball down too low after getting a low post pass or rebound, like ONO did, and hence can be blocked or tied up by shorter defenders.

In the December 22, 2022 video, Patterson plainly says "I am blind in my right eye" without the qualifying word "legally". (Legally blind means an eye can be corrected to not any better than 20/200.) She further says she decided to wear protective goggles at UConn "to protect my one good eye", that she was too "shy and nervous to talk about it when I was younger and in high school", and that in college she "wanted to be open about it". She also said that over the summer she had to "work on my depth perception" and "seeing things on the floor". I've watched every UConn game this season and never heard any announcer talk about Patterson's eye problem at all or why she was wearing goggles. I suspect it was closely held knowledge until recently.
Howee

PostPosted: 12/24/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
....she was too "shy and nervous to talk about it when I was younger and in high school"

I hope she at least told Geno about it! Shocked Of course, he watched her play, and apparently had confidence in her game, eye or no eye.

PostPosted: 12/25/22 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

She did hit two short jumpers in that game, which was encouraging since she really hadn't taken many outside shots up to that time and made few. She also has trouble scoring underneath.

I think I've said this before, but she gives the appearance of a player who had no trouble just jumping up and putting the ball in the basket when underneath, even without post move footwork, against relatively small and nonathletic high schoolers, but who can't so easily outjump the bigger players in college. In addition, she often tends to bring the ball down too low after getting a low post pass or rebound, like ONO did, and hence can be blocked or tied up by shorter defenders.

In the December 22, 2022 video, Patterson plainly says "I am blind in my right eye" without the qualifying word "legally". (Legally blind means an eye can be corrected to not any better than 20/200.) She further says she decided to wear protective goggles at UConn "to protect my one good eye", that she was too "shy and nervous to talk about it when I was younger and in high school", and that in college she "wanted to be open about it". She also said that over the summer she had to "work on my depth perception" and "seeing things on the floor". I've watched every UConn game this season and never heard any announcer talk about Patterson's eye problem at all or why she was wearing goggles. I suspect it was closely held knowledge until recently.

I have not seen a link to this video. I have read the article that was LINKED. Usually comments are made about info that is LINKED and not to something we haven't had access to see.

She has very bad vision in one eye, making it her bad eye. She's been good enough to hide this fact up until now, even from folks known to dig into every iota of every recruit and player. She is legally blind in one eye and nothing posted anywhere refutes that - not even what is reported second hand from a video.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/25/22 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

LOL okay Karen. This isn’t the Boneyard. I guess since JPM is gone from Duke you need to direct your unhinged ranting towards all things UConn.

WTH? Another example of "UConn fans can dish out whatever dirt they feel like it but blow in their direction and they become sensitive little Nellies. I call FLOP.

When someone posts personal conjecture which is directly refuted by the POSTED article, calling it out is not "unhinged ranting." Get a grip please. I know it's hard when your formerly dominant team is losing its' hold, but don't take it out on those who point out discrepancies posted.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/26/22 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

I have not seen a link to this video. I have read the article that was LINKED. Usually comments are made about info that is LINKED and not to something we haven't had access to see.

Not sure what you're talking about, Raf. The Patterson interview video from which I quoted is embedded in the wane.com article that Ex-Ref linked.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/27/22 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Rene Montgomery, despite having normal vision, chose to play with her left eye closed and made AA. Laughing

Patterson is stronger, faster, quicker and a better ball handler than Edwards was as a freshman. She has a nice soft touch on her midrange shot. Her struggles right now are typical for UConn frontcourt freshmen who dominated in HS against weak competition.

As for all the talk about her depth perception, she is 85% from the FF line and a 46% fg shooter.
The fact that Geno is giving her 10+ min/game says that she's showing things in practice and if he is happy with her work effort then I am happy. Smile

linkster

PostPosted: 12/27/22 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

EXAMPLE:

In that same game, SC played 12 players, with two (2) playing 30+ minutes, and five (5) playing 20+ minutes. Two of those - Amihere and Hall - were reserves, and starters Saxton and Fletcher played 17 and 11 minutes, respectively. Reserve Raven Johnson also played 18 minutes. So seven (7) players who played at least 17 minutes, plus Fletcher, and Cardoso played 8 minutes.

The Gamecock bench scored 34 pts, 21 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 steals. Compared to Stanford scoring 9 pts, 12 rebounds, 5 blocks (all from Prechtel who led the team in 32 minutes), and 2 steals from their reserves. Really Brink kept Stanford as close in that game as it was......

Staley subs in freely. My comment had nothing at all to do with SCar.

But Myrtle is a Tree-hugger and I thought her comment was incorrect.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/03/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Ducharme is out for a couple games in concussion protocol. But hoping my Azzi is back soon. [But it doesn't matter according to Linkster since UConn doesn't have a bench problem.]

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine it will matter against Butler or Xavier, even on the road

PostPosted: 01/03/23 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I can't imagine it will matter against Butler or Xavier, even on the road

true.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 01/03/23 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So Ducharme is out for a couple games in concussion protocol. But hoping my Azzi is back soon. [But it doesn't matter according to Linkster since UConn doesn't have a bench problem.]

I hope Azzi's back soon too. I tuned in to a few NCAA games this year (something I never do in any sport--while I don't miss a minute of the NFL, I cannot name a single college football player right now) just to check out some seniors for draft scouting, and I saw Azzi's release and touch and was blown away. By the time she got hurt, she was already my favorite college athlete of all time (basically because I don't have a favorite college athlete of all time), and I was marking my schedule for all the UConn games.

Injury worries aside, I think Azzi is a can't miss star in the WNBA even though I've only seen her play a few games. I've never had the experience of rooting for my favorite players when they were in college, and I was pretty psyched to have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor, so to speak. The injury was such a buzzkill! Especially when I found out she's had problems with her knees before.

I'm still watching and have developed an attachment to the team even without Azzi, but I can't wait until she gets back! Actually, I can wait--I hope they're very cautious and don't rush. Go Huskies!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/03/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno unwell again and will miss the Butler game.

PostPosted: 01/03/23 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I've never had the experience of rooting for my favorite players when they were in college, and I was pretty psyched to have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.

Welcome to the joys of NCAAWBB. You know, then, how much I enjoyed watching Miss Ionescu come up through Oregon and go as the #1 pick. She's not my first (that was Courtney Paris of OK), but it's fun to hitch your wagon to a (future) star.

PostPosted: 01/03/23 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Geno unwell again and will miss the Butler game.

Hope he recovers completely soon and it's not something serious. Winter flu can linger... if that's what it is.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/03/23 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I don't think I said that but my memory isn't reliable lately.

BTW Myrtle, both of the freshmen played in the 1st period tonight. They combined to play 34 minutes. I guess Geno finally realized his error after all these decades. Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 01/03/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

BTW Myrtle, both of the freshmen played in the 1st period tonight. They combined to play 34 minutes. I guess Geno finally realized his error after all these decades. Laughing

I thought Geno called in sick....maybe CHRIS realized Geno's errant ways 'n fixed it! Razz

PostPosted: 01/03/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I thought Geno called in sick....maybe CHRIS realized Geno's errant ways 'n fixed it! Razz

You may be right. The ass is never going to accomplish anything until he gets that right. Wink Wink

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/04/23 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think it is evident DeBerry is in CDs doghouse, she was the last reserve off the bench again with CD acting as head coach

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/06/23 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yikes on an exercise bike: as per Lila Bromberg of the Hartford Courant, due to Ayanna Patterson *also* getting injured in the Xavier game, the Huskies are down to 6 available players and therefore the upcoming game against DePaul has been postponed

PostPosted: 01/06/23 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
yikes on an exercise bike: as per Lila Bromberg of the Hartford Courant, due to Ayanna Patterson *also* getting injured in the Xavier game, the Huskies are down to 6 available players and therefore the upcoming game against DePaul has been postponed

Yikes on all these injuries. I didn't realize that the BE had the rule that you needed to have 7 scholarship players available until this postponement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: