RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/25/23 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back because we have to have a list even if this international class is weaker than last year's:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/01/24/international-names-to-know-for-2023-wnba-draft/

Watch somebody take advantage of me not going deeper and pick Sara Roumy or injury deferral pick Lily Scanlon.

Fun hypothetical question: What if we had the exact same knowledge that we have based on their college careers, but Lauren Betts and Yarden Garzon were in this draft as internationals? Like say Betts was limited minutes for Valencia or the team in her birth place Araski and Garzon was a clear fourth option for a team in Israel alongside three WNBA or borderline-WNBA player Americans.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/25/23 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly Winterburn didn't even rate a mention? Wink

PostPosted: 01/25/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Can Mackenzie Holmes become an all-star in the W or is she another version of Megan Gustafson?🤔

At this time, like a plate of Macaroni and Cheese...

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/26/23 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma's Taylor Robertson ties NCAA D-I women's career 3-point record
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35527941/ou-taylor-robertson-ties-ncaa-d-women-career-3-point-record

Quote:
Robertson is a fifth-year senior who is taking advantage of the extra season offered by the COVID-19 waiver from 2020-2021. However, Robertson reached the record in fewer games than Mitchell: 137 to 139. She also got the career mark in fewer attempts: 1,133 to Mitchell's 1,286. Mitchell was the No. 2 pick by the Indiana Fever in the 2018 WNBA draft and has made 347 3's thus far in her five WNBA seasons.

hope she gets drafted to a team that really needs 3PT shooting

awhom111 wrote:
Back because we have to have a list even if this international class is weaker than last year's:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/01/24/international-names-to-know-for-2023-wnba-draft/

and i really hope we see Aquira DeCosta end up in a team's training camp this year – she of all people deserves a chance

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/26/23 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Oklahoma's Taylor Robertson ties NCAA D-I women's career 3-point record
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35527941/ou-taylor-robertson-ties-ncaa-d-women-career-3-point-record

Quote:
Robertson is a fifth-year senior who is taking advantage of the extra season offered by the COVID-19 waiver from 2020-2021. However, Robertson reached the record in fewer games than Mitchell: 137 to 139. She also got the career mark in fewer attempts: 1,133 to Mitchell's 1,286. Mitchell was the No. 2 pick by the Indiana Fever in the 2018 WNBA draft and has made 347 3's thus far in her five WNBA seasons.

hope she gets drafted to a team that really needs 3PT shooting

awhom111 wrote:

and i really hope we see Aquira DeCosta end up in a team's training camp this year – she of all people deserves a chance

I like Taylor , but she's a defensive liability . Hope she gets drafted though but hard to see her making a final roster .

PostPosted: 01/26/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want Aubrey Griffin to either enter this draft or grad-transfer next season. She’s looked so good this year for UConn with the increased opportunity, but I’m afraid her role will be diminished next season with all the new freshmen and all the currently injured returners who are scheduled to be on the roster next season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/26/23 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love watching Griffin too- she's scrappy and tough in all the ways I like players to be tough- but that back has more red flags than a May Day parade in Havana

PostPosted: 01/27/23 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched Horston for the first time in quite awhile today. She was very impressive and looked totally pro-ready to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see her as a lottery pick.

Griffin to me is a classic tweener. Don't think she has the guard skills to play wing and isn't big enough to play post in the W.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/27/23 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Griffin to me is a classic tweener. Don't think she has the guard skills to play wing and isn't big enough to play post in the W.

It's a common issue for Griffins who play in Connecticut

PostPosted: 01/27/23 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Watched Horston for the first time in quite awhile today. She was very impressive and looked totally pro-ready to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see her as a lottery pick.

I’ve said the same about Horston’s lottery potential before today, and this game only fed more into that thought. I can definitely see the Wings taking her at 3 in hopes of a direct Allisha Gray replacement. I like her better than Haley Jones these days.

Griffin has already been starting at the 3 right now, fwiw. I think that’s the right position for her in the pros. She can play the 4 at the college level, but ai think at 6-1 she’d get outmuscled at the next level there. I don’t even love seeing 6-1 Kayla Thornton play the 4 at times, and she can be pretty scrappy there. 😅

Luuuc wrote:
It's a common issue for Griffins who play in Connecticut

Sad that no other team ended up giving Kelsey Griffin a legit chance to catch on in another organization, but tell me howwwww she’s already 35 years old?? To quote Kate Hudson in 'Glass Onion', “What is reality??”

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/27/23 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

give me LLS with Lynx's second pick please.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/27/23 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBA experts, is UCONN's Lopez-Senechal draft eligible? She was eligible for the '18 draft due to the international rule of her turning 20 that year. Didn't commit to Fairfield until after. So is she eligible 2b drafted this year or is she just a free agent? @RichardCohen1

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/27/23 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She's going to Dallas @ #3👀

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/23 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Griffin has already been starting at the 3 right now, fwiw. I think that’s the right position for her in the pros.

playing wing in college is not the same as wing in the pros. To her credit, she has worked on her three shooting, but it seems to me that she mostly succeeds by out-muscle'ing opponents which I don't think will happen next level.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/23 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Horston is better than Haley Jones in my opinion. No way Haley is a top pick and Horston is not . Same height , Same size ...Horston is more of a defender and scorer to me.

PostPosted: 01/27/23 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Griffin has already been starting at the 3 right now, fwiw. I think that’s the right position for her in the pros.

playing wing in college is not the same as wing in the pros. To her credit, she has worked on her three shooting, but it seems to me that she mostly succeeds by out-muscle'ing opponents which I don't think will happen next level.

Though most tweener forwards start out as 4s in college but are too small to do so in the W, then have to scramble (usually unsuccessfully) to become 3s. Griffin at least is already playing both positions now, so while she may still be a tweener, it’s not like she has to stay one between now & whenever she turns pro. I definitely think it’s too early to write a player like her off, considering her overall improvement in production & efficiency seen this season.

She’s not athletic in the way Gabby Williams is (not many are), but being a scrappy hustle player who’s always in the right place at the right time and does things not necessarily recordable on a stat sheet is sort of the path I think she’ll have to go down to succeed at the next level.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/27/23 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I've been saying for three years that Horston is a lottery pick. And one thing that hasn't been mentioned in her evaluation...in the W, she will be playing with WNBA guards. What she's done at Tennessee has been with, don't hate me Tennessee fans, mediocre(at best) guard play.

She's tall. Long. Athletic. Can shoot. Defend. There is no reason why she can't become Diet Kahleah Copper.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/27/23 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I want Aubrey Griffin to either enter this draft or grad-transfer next season. She’s looked so good this year for UConn with the increased opportunity, but I’m afraid her role will be diminished next season with all the new freshmen and all the currently injured returners who are scheduled to be on the roster next season.

I think the exact opposite. Either Griffin starts next season or is first off the bench. Geno loves experience. In addition to that, I think Griffin needs one more season to get comfortable in the half court. She still can get stuck with the ball in her hands and nowhere to go. If she can do that and continue to work on her outside shot, she could have a long career as a role player in the W.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/23 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've been saying for three years that Horston is a lottery pick. And one thing that hasn't been mentioned in her evaluation...in the W, she will be playing with WNBA guards. What she's done at Tennessee has been with, don't hate me Tennessee fans, mediocre(at best) guard play.

She's tall. Long. Athletic. Can shoot. Defend. There is no reason why she can't become Diet Kahleah Copper.

Nail on the head here . She will excel playing with Guards that can force her to be better . She's going to be the steal of the draft if she's not selected as a lottery pick. I like Jackson , but Horston is that team's best player all around on both ends .

PostPosted: 01/27/23 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+1 on Tennessee’s lack of guardplay, and i like Horston as a player more than Jackson, too

speaking of Jackson, two ?s i have for those who’d know better than me:

—What position is she in the W?
—Is she in danger of being a locker room cancer?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/27/23 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Horston an improvement over Rennia Davis? Are they basically the same type of player?🧐

PostPosted: 01/28/23 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Is Horston an improvement over Rennia Davis? Are they basically the same type of player?🧐

imo Horston is more of a 2/3, while Davis is more of a 3/4 – but otherwise not super different

but also, i think the Lynx gave up on Davis prematurely – she was on the 2021 roster despite being injured the whole season, only to not make the final roster in 2022 when she was able to play? i still don't get that one – but at least she may have a chance to stick on a roster like the Fever's

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/28/23 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

They are basically the same player, but Horston came out of HS as a PG, IIRC. She's probably a better ball handler than Davis and is much better at creating her own shot.

thardy929

PostPosted: 01/28/23 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

imo Horston is more of a 2/3, while Davis is more of a 3/4 – but otherwise not super different

but also, i think the Lynx gave up on Davis prematurely – she was on the 2021 roster despite being injured the whole season, only to not make the final roster in 2022 when she was able to play? i still don't get that one – but at least she may have a chance to stick on a roster like the Fever's

I think that's right, and also Horston can do more of a little bit of everything and can flat out make a play when you need it, whereas Davis is more of a scorer/rebounder. Horston played point guard for too long for Tennessee, mainly because she does have great vision and makes some "wow" passes, but she's thriving this year more as a 2/3 and not having to be the primary ball handler (career-high shooting %'s and near career-high A/TO ratio). I would also say Horston has been a better defender over her career, and has a higher motor.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/23 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

They are basically the same player, but Horston came out of HS as a PG, IIRC. She's probably a better ball handler than Davis and is much better at creating her own shot.

They’re nowhere near the same player. Horston is a better playmaker she can rebound just as well as Davis as well as create her shot more efficiently than Davis as well. She was the #2 recruit of this class in the nation behind Haley Jones for a reason in which I still think was a mistake . Horston is not a PG although coaches prefer to put her there due to her playmaking ability. She’s more of a Swing Forward. Playing her at PG hinders her ability to control the glass and create for herself as she’s best taking it to
The rim one on one something Rennia Davis rarely ever did. Rennia was a good player but Horston is tougher and more pro ready. 6”2 truly with the ability to play 1-3 is a gift for any team right now.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26

Jump to: