Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 08/31/22 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
The 2 Centers Boston and Lee are they right now at the top of most 2023 WNBA mock drafts?

At the start of this thread (along with some other good stuff), I have Boston and Haley Jones as the Top 2. So I guess that’s most mock drafts at this point.

I have Lee going third at this point, but to reach that she’d have to show a lot more consistency than she did last year. After she set the NCAAW record for single game scoring last year, I didn’t really see anything close to that level from her again. But she’s a talented big body and they usually get more consideration.

Other players like Owusu, Diamond Miller, or Kitley (who I just talked about) could easily find themselves in the lottery. In the unlikihood that Cameron Brink or Haley Van Lith were to declare early for this draft, they’d be up for lottery consideration also, imo.

As far as Paige Bueckers goes, before her ACL injury she said she wanted to stay 4 years for sure. If she still feels that way, she could put off the WNBA draft for awhile.

2020-2021 Much ballyhooed freshman year
2021-2022 Injury riddled sophomore year
2022-2023 Out for ACL
2023-2024 Redshirt junior year
2024-2025 Redshirt senior year
2025-2026 Bonus covid year? (If NCAAW approves, and what haven’t they approved lately)

If she wants she will get a 6th year, she doesn't have to submit an application for a waiver. Everyone is allowed 1 redshirt year (most don't end up using it, but they have it), and she falls into the group of players that was given the extra year due to COVID so she has the option to use both, whether she decides to that's unknown right now, but the NCAA doesn't need to approve anything.

mred

PostPosted: 08/31/22 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

If she wants she will get a 6th year, she doesn't have to submit an application for a waiver. Everyone is allowed 1 redshirt year (most don't end up using it, but they have it), and she falls into the group of players that was given the extra year due to COVID so she has the option to use both, whether she decides to that's unknown right now, but the NCAA doesn't need to approve anything.

Right. You normally get 5 academic years to play 4 seasons. Everyone knows the COVID year (20-21) doesn't count against the 4 season limit, but it's important to note it also doesn't count against the 5 year limit.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Right. You normally get 5 academic years to play 4 seasons. Everyone knows the COVID year (20-21) doesn't count against the 4 season limit, but it's important to note it also doesn't count against the 5 year limit.

Think of it as the Ali Patberg rule.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/03/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nine names to know from the 2023 WNBA Draft class

https://www.swishappeal.com/2022/9/3/23323839/ncaaw-wnba-draft-2023-aliyah-boston-haley-jones-diamond-miller-elizabeth-kitley-ashley-joens-rickea

Quote:
Much can happen between now and the 2023 draft, of course — we don’t even know the complete draft order yet, as the WNBA Draft lottery has yet to take place — but we can put together a list of the biggest names in college basketball who will be vying for draft position, regardless of order. This is by no means a comprehensive list; consider it a quick refresher and, if you’re a WNBA fan, a handful of names to watch this winter.

PostPosted: 09/04/22 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is draft lottery typically around the end of playoffs? or months from now?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/04/22 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

The last couple haven't happened until December, but until those two they usually did it much earlier. So my guess would be December again, but neither would surprise me.

PostPosted: 09/04/22 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

The last couple haven't happened until December, but until those two they usually did it much earlier. So my guess would be December again, but neither would surprise me.

thanks

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/10/22 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking Mike Thibault will draft Diamond Miller or Ashley Joens if the Mystics doesn't have the #1 Pick.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I'm thinking Mike Thibault will draft Diamond Miller or Ashley Joens if the Mystics doesn't have the #1 Pick.

Wouldn’t a big strong PG like Owusu (Maryland ties like Austin) be a nice replacement for Machida?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/11/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Wouldn’t a big strong PG like Owusu (Maryland ties like Austin) be a nice replacement for Machida?

I think Owusu will have to drop a lot of pounds to be effective in the WNBA. I wouldn't draft Owusu with a Top 4 Pick.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/22 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hN5g50y6YBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hN5g50y6YBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/12/22 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Let's see what Owusu does this year. Pretty clear things were messy last season in Maryland. Owusu does need to check out Chelsea Gray's "get that body in shape" program to take her game to the next level. Maybe the new location does the trick for her...

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/13/22 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just for fun

1. Indy Boston
2. Wash H. Jones
3. Atl D. Miller
4. Minn Kitley
5. Chi Joens
6. NY Owusu
7. Indy Blackwell
8. Atl Jackson
9. Sea Cooke
10. Conn Horston
11. Dallas Edwards
12. Minn Sheldon

wnbafan

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Let's see what Owusu does this year. Pretty clear things were messy last season in Maryland. Owusu does need to check out Chelsea Gray's "get that body in shape" program to take her game to the next level. Maybe the new location does the trick for her...

As a Terps fan, I'd be happy with Miller, Owusu or Reese. I was disappointed the latter 2 transferred. I agree Owusu needs a fitness program, but she is surprisingly fast after that first step.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
just for fun

1. Indy Boston
2. Wash H. Jones
3. Atl D. Miller
4. Minn Kitley
5. Chi Joens
6. NY Owusu
7. Indy Blackwell
8. Atl Jackson
9. Sea Cooke
10. Conn Horston
11. Dallas Edwards
12. Minn Sheldon

No Tamari Key ? Shocked

PostPosted: 09/13/22 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Key is interesting. I think she will probably go first round because of size and blocking ability. But her games against the best teams last year were pretty lackluster [other than blocks]. She definitely has upside.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/13/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Key is interesting. I think she will probably go first round because of size and blocking ability. But her games against the best teams last year were pretty lackluster [other than blocks]. She definitely has upside.

I have a strong Hunch Key will be the 2nd Post Player drafted after Boston.

PostPosted: 09/13/22 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
just for fun

1. Indy Boston
2. Wash H. Jones
3. Atl D. Miller
4. Minn Kitley
5. Chi Joens
6. NY Owusu
7. Indy Blackwell
8. Atl Jackson
9. Sea Cooke
10. Conn Horston
11. Dallas Edwards
12. Minn Sheldon

I don't see Mike Thibault passing up a chance to draft Diamond Miller unless she has a sub-par senior season if the Mystics don't get the #1 Pick, heck Thibault might do the same thing he did in 2022 trading down to get the player he wants and more draft picks. By the way, Maryland University is on the same Metro Subway Green Line as the Mystics Entertainment & Sports Arena.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not locked on any specific player that I like for the Sky. I will observe the growth of the 2023 prospects this upcoming season. The players that the Sky sign during the free agency season will tighten my focus on what prospects would best benefit the Sky.

PostPosted: 09/15/22 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this comment/discussion thought here was as good as any place.

When we talk about missed picks it is often from the perspective of someone being picked too high,

I am going to go in the other direction.
Is Jonquel Jones being a 6th pick one of the most missed picks of the last ten years?

She looks like a #1 pick to me and if Stewart wasn't in that draft she should have been #1, but falling to 6 in hindsight seems absurd.

picked ahead of her 2. Jefferson 3. Tuck 4. Banham 5. Powers

and not only was she passed over four times for clearly inferior players but she was also traded

I don't remember for who but I can't imagine that trade looks good in hindsight.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/15/22 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Is Jonquel Jones being a 6th pick one of the most missed picks of the last ten years?

She looks like a #1 pick to me and if Stewart wasn't in that draft she should have been #1, but falling to 6 in hindsight seems absurd.

picked ahead of her 2. Jefferson 3. Tuck 4. Banham 5. Powers

and not only was she passed over four times for clearly inferior players but she was also traded

I don't remember for who but I can't imagine that trade looks good in hindsight.

yeah, uh...

Connecticut Sun traded Chelsea Gray, the 2016 No. 15 pick (Whitney Knight), the 2016 No. 23 pick (Brianna Butler), and the 2017 No. 4 pick (Allisha Gray; that pick got traded again) to the Los Angeles Sparks for the rights to Jonquel Jones and the 2016 No. 17 pick (Jamie Weisner)

Los Angeles Sparks drafted Jonquel Jones 6th overall

PostPosted: 09/15/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut traded Chelsea Gray to get the Jonquel Jones pick, so it wasn't too lopsided

Nobody at the time seemed terribly surprised she fell to #6. Lots of stuff like...

Don't understand the need to acquire Jones

you may have Amber Harris

The new Sun coach is working for the sparks

That trade looks really good for the Sparks

Goodness, did LA just commit highway robbery?

Wtf sun seriously wtf? Jone has bust all over her, sorry to her fans.

The Sun gave up too much, imo. LA robbed 'em

PostPosted: 09/15/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Connecticut traded Chelsea Gray to get the Jonquel Jones pick, so it wasn't too lopsided

Nobody at the time seemed terribly surprised she fell to #6. Lots of stuff like...

Don't understand the need to acquire Jones

you may have Amber Harris

The new Sun coach is working for the sparks

That trade looks really good for the Sparks

Goodness, did LA just commit highway robbery?

Wtf sun seriously wtf? Jone has bust all over her, sorry to her fans.

The Sun gave up too much, imo. LA robbed 'em

I am glad my comments at the time don't reflect too poorly on me

the trade doesn't look bad mainly because C. Gray turned out to be awesome and A. Gray decent

OTOH it does sort of illuminate my point on how badly J. Jones was under valued by everyone

Also could Conn have just drafted J. Jones at #3 and kept C. Gray?

that seems like a huge mistake as well

everyone did OK and looks foolish for the trades of the 2016 draft

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/15/22 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm convince the Mystics would've drafted local GW player Jonquel Jones at #6 in the 2016 WNBA Draft if the Sun didn't trade up to #5. The Mystic did draft Kahleah Copper at #6 who was included in a trade the following year for Elena Delle Donne.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: