RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/06/23 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know this was discussed last year regarding Emmanuelle Tahane, but I don’t recall if there was a more official answer as opposed to speculation. Some players have announced on social media after the deadline that they were entering the draft, of course that doesn’t mean they didn’t notify the league before the deadline, but if they missed the deadline and sign with an agent thus automatically forfeiting NCAA eligibility do they just automatically get entered into the draft?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/06/23 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shocked I really thought most of them would come back for another shot at the championship. Especially for Cooke though I think this is a good year to come out. She will go in the first round. Next year it will be loaded so not so clear. And I think her stock is as high as it's apt to go.

I thought it for a few seconds, but then I was like, they won a NC, they got to 3 FF's, cemented themselves as the best class in SC history, and none of them will have a higher ceiling than they do now, especially Boston and Cooke. Aaliyah is a great player, but next year she could be the #3 or #4 pick. Not trying to start controversy here, but if I were a WNBA GM and I needed a post next year and the pick was Boston or Brink, I'd take Brink. She is just so much more versatile and her style fits he pro game better.

There is no way Beal and Cooke would be 1st round picks next year.

Lastly, college is a great 4 years, but that's just what it is-4 years. Go, be a pro, and have no more school work. LOL

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/06/23 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping we get a 'final' list from the league now that the deadline to withdraw has passed, so those players might have made it onto that. If they haven't then I don't know. I doubt the league would want to block anyone who wants to turn pro right now, but there's not much point in a deadline if you let people miss it and do the same things afterwards. Technically, if there was anyone who turned pro late last year and they didn't let them in, those players would have to be draft-eligible this year (as you have to be available in at least one draft).

PostPosted: 04/06/23 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm hoping we get a 'final' list from the league now that the deadline to withdraw has passed, so those players might have made it onto that.

And here it is: https://www.wnba.com/news/2023-wnba-draft-eligible-candidates-and-rescinded-opt-ins/

only major news was the withdrawals, with the newest one being Sedona Prince. no other obvious changes, it looks like.

Quote:
In addition, four players have rescinded their prior decisions to opt-in for the draft and have removed their names from consideration: Esmery Martinez (Arizona), Charisma Osborne (UCLA), Sedona Prince (Oregon), Endyia Rogers (Oregon).

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/23 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so if they declare for the draft but don't hire an agent and aren't drafted, can they 'renege' and go back to college?

and it's interesting Prince withdrew her name. will she go back to college or is she just quitting basketball altogether?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/06/23 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so if they declare for the draft but don't hire an agent and aren't drafted, can they 'renege' and go back to college?

and it's interesting Prince withdrew her name. will she go back to college or is she just quitting basketball altogether?

If it is like the NBA, they have to decide to renege before the draft. If you go through and don't get drafted, you can't just go back to school instead.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/23 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so this is kinda maybe the first 12, in alphabetic order:

Grace Berger Indiana
Aliyah Boston South Carolina
Zia Cooke South Carolina
Jordan Horston Tennessee
Ashley Joens Iowa State
Haley Jones Stanford
Dorka Juhász Connecticut
Taylor Mikesell Ohio State
Diamond Miller Maryland
Lou Lopez Sénéchal Connecticut
Maddy Siegrist Villanova
Stephanie Soares Iowa State

it's not awe inspiring, but not terrible either

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/06/23 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's first-round mock draft matches myrtle's list except that it includes Amihere and Beal rather than Cooke and Mikesell. I'd go with myrtle's as well.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/23 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All this talk about Beal as a first rounder is puzzling to me. It's one thing when a player doesn't have a three point shot. Beal doesn't have a two point shot. Hell, she doesn't even have a one point shot. I would highly displeased if my team selected her in the first round.

PostPosted: 04/06/23 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is the Foreign Non-Collegiate Player eligible for the 2023 WNBA Draft that could be a surprise in the 1st round?

bballnut901

PostPosted: 04/06/23 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
All this talk about Beal as a first rounder is puzzling to me. It's one thing when a player doesn't have a three point shot. Beal doesn't have a two point shot. Hell, she doesn't even have a one point shot. I would highly displeased if my team selected her in the first round.

Agreed. Her 3pt shot doesn't look very fluid either. All of her 3pt attempts at SC are wide open catch and shoot opportunities, and she has a line drive jumper and slow release. Richards has been brought up as a comparable player, but Didi is a better facilitator and yet she still hasn't found her footing in the league. I'd take a proven collegiate scorer over Beal in a mid to late 1st round draft pick.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/23 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Who is the Foreign Non-Collegiate Player eligible for the 2023 WNBA Draft that could be a surprise in the 1st round?

Lots of people seem to like Maia Hirsch

PostPosted: 04/06/23 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:
Richards has been brought up as a comparable player, but Didi is a better facilitator and yet she still hasn't found her footing in the league.

Beal isn't as good a defender as Richards was in college. Richards went in the second round of a draft even worse than this one.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/06/23 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's latest mock
(1st round only)
https://www.espn.com.au/wnba/story/_/id/36075573/wnba-mock-draft-2023-picks-player-projections

The Next
(Top 15)
https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2023-wnba-draft-board-v2/
Quote:
11. Shaneice Swain, combo guard, Canberra
👍👍

PostPosted: 04/06/23 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the mights in this description made me giggle

Quote:
Amihere is one of those players who might come into her own in the pro game, in part because she has such versatility at her size. She can guard players on the perimeter and inside, and we might see more offense from her at the next level. She was someone who could fill any gap for a deep Gamecocks team, and that potential might develop in a pro setting.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/23 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Luuuc is Swain a W player in your opinion?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/06/23 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
All the mights in this description made me giggle

Quote:
Amihere is one of those players who might come into her own in the pro game, in part because she has such versatility at her size. She can guard players on the perimeter and inside, and we might see more offense from her at the next level. She was someone who could fill any gap for a deep Gamecocks team, and that potential might develop in a pro setting.

She's so much of a project that she should come bundled with a trifold display board and a baking soda volcano.

PostPosted: 04/06/23 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tried to properly sort the declaration list into categories and then there is a pointlessly long discussion of international players who exercise intercollegiate eligibility after their age 18 year:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/04/06/2023-wnba-draft-declaration-list-breakdown/
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/07/23 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So Luuuc is Swain a W player in your opinion?

She has shown enough evidence for me to think she can be, and more evidence to think not yet though.
Hopefully she's open to being stashed for a year, because I think one more season in the WNBL and she'll be cherry ripe for an intro to the big league.

PostPosted: 04/07/23 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She makes way more money on social media than she would in the WNBA. I’m not exactly sure what her plan is going forward, but professional basketball isn’t something that is urgent for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/07/23 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics should draft Stephanie Soares and call it a day. The Mystics have enough at the Center position this season to wait on Soares.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/07/23 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're inviting 15 players to the draft, which seems... brave.

https://www.wnba.com/news/2023-wnba-draft-invitee-list/

PostPosted: 04/07/23 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every year Rebkell does their own mock draft. This year, nothing. This draft class must be very dismal for no one to be interested in participating in a mock draft. 🙃

PostPosted: 04/08/23 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The past few draft classes have been dismal as well though.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/08/23 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Every year Rebkell does their own mock draft. This year, nothing. This draft class must be very dismal for no one to be interested in participating in a mock draft. 🙃

speaking as someone who has moderated the board-wide mock draft before, it does take a lot of time & energy to run/conduct. it also takes 12 or so people [plus the moderator] who can be punctual & basically omnipresent within a 2- to 4-day span, which could very well be asking too much. we barely get 12 semi-regular posters on here nowadays during the league's offseason – of which we're still in, considering we're in between free agency & the draft. (and honestly, it seems like more than not of the super-regular posters such as ourselves tend to opt out of participating in it, for their own reasons.) everyone, even us basement-dwellers, has our own lives – well, probably, anyway. Razz

it does seem like rebs' overall activity between all the boards has noticeably decreased on the whole – though i'm not about to psychoanalyze it. it is what it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: