RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/08/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news!!!!

So sad that Paul isn't with her. Hopefully he will be coming home soon as well.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/08/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
YES!!!! BG WILL BE FREE!!!

Why did i read this in an "Amistad" Voice Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 12/08/22 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Great news!!!!

So sad that Paul isn't with her. Hopefully he will be coming home soon as well.

Really. I can't imagine the disappointment Paul's family must feel. I don't remember ever hearing, but he's gotta be in one of those hellacious labor camps, too.

I certainly hope Brit is resilient and will quickly heal her body, mind and soul in these coming days. Good job, Joe! Cool

PostPosted: 12/08/22 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a Christmas miracle!!! thank fucking god 🙌🏼

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/08/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So glad BG is free. Of course it is bittersweet as Paul Whelan and others are wrongfully detained but every freed American should be met with celebration. This was a difficult decision. I would be just as happy for Paul if he was the one being freed and not BG.

I hope BG can heal and overcome this ordeal. If she never plays again, I will be at peace but I do hope she is able to play again if that is what she wants.

Thank you to everyone who commented here, even when we quibbled over the minutia. She's free.

BG means a lot to us as WBB fans but let's keep this energy for those that remain wrongfully detained. The fight doesn't end here.

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 12/08/22 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hell yeah!! Great news to wake up to!!

PostPosted: 12/08/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
YES!!!! BG WILL BE FREE!!!

Why did i read this in an "Amistad" Voice Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/08/22 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonderful news and just in time for the holidays. This is the best Christmas present BG’s wife and family could’ve ever dreamed and hoped for!!

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/08/22 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now we pray for emotional and mental healing too. After all she's been through, it probably still won't be an easy trip back to 'normalcy' for BG.

elsie

PostPosted: 12/08/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and lets pray and rejoice too that a major arms dealer is now free to sell more arms and cause more death...YIPPEE.....and just before the holidays....

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/08/22 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
and lets pray and rejoice too that a major arms dealer is now free to sell more arms and cause more death...YIPPEE.....and just before the holidays....

i agree, i wish we could've traded people like you instead but Putin didn't want y'all 😭😭😭

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/08/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

Bad people are set free every day. He served half his sentence. It is absolutely not a fair trade and does set a bad precedent. People with good intentions increased BG's value to the Russians. Mistakes were made a long the way but these negotiations are messy and it was not a level playing field. It was the only way.

I am relieved she is home. I think bad decisions were made to get us here but here we are.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears the U.A.E. and Saudi Prince were key in this .... Exclamation

https://www.reuters.com/world/uae-president-saudi-crown-prince-led-mediation-release-griner-joint-statement-2022-12-08/

PostPosted: 12/08/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
elsie wrote:

i agree, i wish we could've traded people like you instead but Putin didn't want y'all 😭😭😭

+1 stormeo +1 Exclamation Exclamation

PostPosted: 12/08/22 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

I doubt anyone in the world was looking to buy weapons but couldn't find a seller

PostPosted: 12/08/22 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What great news to wake up to!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/08/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
elsie wrote:

+1 stormeo +1 Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks, Stormeo (and WNBA 09).

PostPosted: 12/08/22 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
So glad BG is free. Of course it is bittersweet as Paul Whelan and others are wrongfully detained but every freed American should be met with celebration. This was a difficult decision. I would be just as happy for Paul if he was the one being freed and not BG.

I hope BG can heal and overcome this ordeal. If she never plays again, I will be at peace but I do hope she is able to play again if that is what she wants.

Thank you to everyone who commented here, even when we quibbled over the minutia. She's free.

BG means a lot to us as WBB fans but let's keep this energy for those that remain wrongfully detained. The fight doesn't end here.

Well said. All of this.

PostPosted: 12/08/22 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The video of the Swap , you can see the Saudi prince shaking Griners had first after the exchange. Lord bless him !

https://www.tmz.com/watch/2022-12-08-120822-griner-bout-1529358-894/

https://twitter.com/JadeALawson/status/1600948972407095296?s=20&t=4Lz1iSMRLij1VQselPLKIQ

PostPosted: 12/08/22 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

I read from many who know more on this topic that Bout was safer in an American prison than in Russia. Plus this from Politico,

"Bout has already lost what he most valued — his ability to move freely across the globe and act with impunity as an agent of chaos in the service of his Russian handlers and his own interests.”

I'm glad Brit is free, Russia can do whatever they want to Bout. Now, to work on getting the others out. Nothing in this was ever going to be easy.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/08/22 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I propose we close this thread for ceremonial purposes and migrate and sticky the Brittney Griner Freed thread moving forward.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/08/22 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
elsie wrote:

I doubt anyone in the world was looking to buy weapons but couldn't find a seller

LOL. I was just thinking to myself, "I didn't know that the international arms trade came to a dead stop in 2018."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 12/09/22 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
It appears the U.A.E. and Saudi Prince were key in this .... Exclamation

https://www.reuters.com/world/uae-president-saudi-crown-prince-led-mediation-release-griner-joint-statement-2022-12-08/

I was wondering why I saw an Arab gentleman greeting her at the airfield.
I'm happy they helped. US court dismissed a lawsuit against the Saudi Prince earlier this week. Coincidence? There's so many layers to how this stuff goes down.

Either way, I'm happy BG is coming home.

I read TJ Quinn's tweet in which his WH sources told him that the US had offered a 2 for 2, and then a 1 for 1 with Bout and Whelan, but Russia refused. They didn't want to negotiate for Paul at all. Confused I hope something changes for him too.

PostPosted: 12/09/22 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An article about what BG faces now that she's home.

Found this interesting.

Quote:
Jonathan Alpeyrie, a photojournalist who was captured in 2013 by Syrian rebels and held hostage for 81 days while covering the war there, said what helped him get over his experience most was jumping “straight back into war” coverage. Though his ordeal differed from Griner's in significant ways, he said he would recommend Griner start playing basketball again as soon as she can.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/12/09/brittney-griner-whats-next-release-russia-prison/10860901002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 12/09/22 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
An article about what BG faces now that she's home.

Found this interesting.

Quote:
Jonathan Alpeyrie, a photojournalist who was captured in 2013 by Syrian rebels and held hostage for 81 days while covering the war there, said what helped him get over his experience most was jumping “straight back into war” coverage. Though his ordeal differed from Griner's in significant ways, he said he would recommend Griner start playing basketball again as soon as she can.

Just.....NOT in Russia....right?? Razz

While I understand the logic he presents, there IS the significant factor that she's not been doing the physical things needed during this time to quickly return to competitive basketball. I have no doubt she'll ease back into it, as directed by trainers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: