Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/22/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Dennis Rodman says he's going to Russia to seek release of Brittney Griner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/dennis-rodman-says-going-russia-seek-release-brittney-griner-rcna44106

Quote:
"I got permission to go to Russia to help that girl," Rodman told NBC News at a restaurant in D.C. "I'm trying to go this week."

Quote:
Rodman does not need special permission from the U.S. to enter Russia — just a visa from Moscow — but the State Department has issued a travel advisory that strongly discourages American citizens visiting the country.

Well, okay then. Whatever works, I suppose. Something tells me this is probably going to be used as a tool to embarrass the US.

I hope he's smart enough not to pack illegal drugs in his luggage, or he may end up in the cell next to Brit's. That would be a nice tool to embarrass the US.

Does it matter if he is? Russia could claim it regardless. It’s not like they wouldn’t want another American hostage.

Hell, Rodman claims he was abducted by aliens and they brought him back. Maybe Russia doesn't want him either.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/22/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is behind a pay-wall, sorry.

Quote:
His contributions to the negotiations -- if Russia even chooses to pay attention to him -- will be minimal, experts say.

"I can’t see how he can do anything," Russian legal expert Jamison Firestone told USA TODAY. "This is a matter of state-to-state negotiations. Dennis Rodman has no ability to represent the United States and therefore nothing to offer the Russians. I can’t see how this will help Brittney or simplify negotiations. It seems like there is no upside for Brittney here and that it just creates the possibility a damaging fiasco."

Quote:
State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters that Rodman would not be traveling on behalf of the U.S. government and "anything other than negotiating further through the established channel is likely to complicate and hinder those release efforts."

Quote:
“It's strange to see Mr. Rodman going now, after the U.S. has made an offer,” David Whelan, Paul's brother, wrote in a text message to USA TODAY. “And there's always the chance that non-governmental actors will derail the Russia-US discussions. I'm confident, based on the White House's statements, that it continues to discuss its offer with the Russian government, regardless of input from other parties.”

Quote:
“I have no knowledge that he has any sort of connections in the Russian federation that would enable him to achieve some sort of prisoner swap or get Brittney Griner home," Pomeranz said. "I’m sorry to be so negative.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2022/08/22/dennis-rodman-brittney-griner-russia-experts-reaction/7868377001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/23/22 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Doofus or not, if anybody can help, why not try?

Who’s he planning on meeting with? The RU’s have already disavowed his intentions. They (the actual RU negotiators) won’t meet with him. Why? Because he has no authority to negotiate on behalf of the U.S. Bill Richardson, who has much more experience in negotiations than Rodman ever will, esp. at an international basis, does. Rodman’s entry is a clown show & could possibly even threatent Griner’s fate over there.

Just as a brief reminder of Richardson’s resume: 7 times elected to the New Mexico House; U.S. Ambassador to the U.N.; Secretary of Energy; & Governor of New Mexico. He has also negotiated the release of hostages before.

Rodman, not so much.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rodman's intention is likely to to turn this into a clown show. That's his job. I hope the professionals on both sides are able to completely ignore him and his side show.

coffy73

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Rodman's intention is likely to to turn this into a clown show. That's his job. I hope the professionals on both sides are able to completely ignore him and his side show.

It will be a clown show. Rodman's only intention, like it was in North Korea, is to stroke his own deflated ego. Rodman's visit to NK was used, of course, as a propaganda tool for its leader. You can bet the same will occur if he goes to Russia. Rodman doesn't have any power to negotiate for Griner, nothing! The right people are moving things behind the scenes, Rodman will just hinder what's already being done.
Rodman just wants to use this for attention and I think it's lousy!

coffy73

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Dennis Rodman says he's going to Russia to seek release of Brittney Griner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/dennis-rodman-says-going-russia-seek-release-brittney-griner-rcna44106

Quote:
"I got permission to go to Russia to help that girl," Rodman told NBC News at a restaurant in D.C. "I'm trying to go this week."

Quote:
Rodman does not need special permission from the U.S. to enter Russia — just a visa from Moscow — but the State Department has issued a travel advisory that strongly discourages American citizens visiting the country.

Well, okay then. Whatever works, I suppose. Something tells me this is probably going to be used as a tool to embarrass the US.

I hope he's smart enough not to pack illegal drugs in his luggage, or he may end up in the cell next to Brit's. That would be a nice tool to embarrass the US.

They're not going to do anything to Rodman because he's not serious. He was a propaganda clown in North Korea and the same would be true if he goes to Russia. I would not be surprised if he's being paid by someone Russia-linked to do this circus.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 08/23/22 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Early this morning, I saw this article in which he said he wasn't going.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-discourages-dennis-rodman-traveling-russia-detained-wnba/story?id=88705431
Quote:
The U.S. government on Monday strongly discouraged former NBA player Dennis Rodman from traveling to Russia to help secure the release of detained WNBA star Brittney Griner -- a trip that Rodman himself separately clarified isn't in the works, reversing an earlier comment.

...Amid the scrutiny over his comments, Rodman told ABC News on Monday that he doesn’t currently have plans to travel to Russia.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-discourages-dennis-rodman-traveling-russia-detained-wnba/story?id=88705431
Quote:
The U.S. government on Monday strongly discouraged former NBA player Dennis Rodman from traveling to Russia to help secure the release of detained WNBA star Brittney Griner -- a trip that Rodman himself separately clarified isn't in the works, reversing an earlier comment.

...Amid the scrutiny over his comments, Rodman told ABC News on Monday that he doesn’t currently have plans to travel to Russia.

He got his name back in the national news for 20 seconds. What else mattered?

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a waste of a lot of time, webspace, print, discussion.

He does all this stuff to draw attention to himself, and for what? This stunt did not affect his irrelevance factor at all!

PostPosted: 08/25/22 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
At risk of not just stepping into a minefield, but doing my best Gregory Hines impression in the minefield, is it possible that he is doing this at the behest of someone who would love to take credit for freeing Griner when the current administration failed , but who would also be able to keep their hands clean if the attempt failed and really wouldn’t feel terrible if their meddling made things worse?

Now, who on EARTH could that [Donald Trump] BE? No one in their right mind [Donald Trump] could hatch such a bizarre scheme....! Shocked Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/26/22 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Quote:

He got his name back in the national news for 20 seconds. What else mattered?

+1

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/06/22 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Transcript of an interview on npr's "It's Been a Minute" radio show with Kimberly St. Julian-Varnon, a doctoral student at the University of Pennsylvania who focuses on the Black experience in Russia -- what hit me is she said when she first saw the video of Brittney at the airport, her first thought was "Oh no....Oh no, she's going to prison" -- because of the timing.... Interesting interview.

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/1117141677

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/08/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/09/02/brittney-griner-americans-russian-league/7948566001/?gnt-cfr=1

Despite Brittney Griner's imprisonment, these Americans still plan to play basketball in Russia
WNBA star Brittney Griner is in a Russian jail. Yet her story isn't keeping dozens of American players from planning to play in Russia. Experts say these players risk the same fate as Griner.

Brittney Griner sits in a Russian jail cell, trapped in a legal system with few protections. Her case, along with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, has prompted the State Department to issue stern warnings urging Americans not to travel to Russia.

Yet dozens of American basketball players are still planning to play in Russia this season.

USA TODAY Sports has identified at least 31 men and one woman who are expected to play – with the signings confirmed by either the player's representation or the team itself – in Russia’s top professional league, a development that several basketball executives and global security experts view as highly risky considering the ongoing tensions between the American and Russian governments.

“I don’t think any Americans should willingly go play basketball in Russia right now,” said Dr. Dani Gilbert, a hostage negotiation expert and Rosenwald Fellow in U.S. Foreign Policy and International Security at the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding at Dartmouth College. “I think Americans are putting themselves in potential danger by traveling to countries where governments have shown a willingness to use their criminal justice system to take Americans hostage.”

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/08/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the old "it can't happen to me" mentality.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/08/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight started a thread devoted to the issue of other players heading to Russia.
W.N.B.A. Stars to Head Overseas Despite Griner’s Arrest
https://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=101562

Howee

PostPosted: 09/08/22 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's the old "it can't happen to me" mentality.

Orrr.....$$$ vetoes common sense??

PostPosted: 09/13/22 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without the periodic trial dates to keep the media's attention, BG appears to have dropped down the media's memory hole. Hopefully, that hasn't also happened within the U.S. State Department and their Russian counterparts.

I confess I have never understood why Russia would be significantly interested in the release of arms dealer Victor Bout, an ethnic Ukranian born in Tajikistan.

If there are ongoing prisoner swap negotiations, perhaps they importantly involve Germany, who convicted former FSB colonel Vadim Krasikov to life imprisonment for what is presumed to be a Russian-ordered murder of a Chechen in a Berlin city park.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/13/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Without the periodic trial dates to keep the media's attention, BG appears to have dropped down the media's memory hole. Hopefully, that hasn't also happened within the U.S. State Department and their Russian counterparts.

I confess I have never understood why Russia would be significantly interested in the release of arms dealer Victor Bout, an ethnic Ukranian born in Tajikistan.

If there are ongoing prisoner swap negotiations, perhaps they importantly involve Germany, who convicted former FSB colonel Vadim Krasikov to life imprisonment for what is presumed to be a Russian-ordered murder of a Chechen in a Berlin city park.

https://news.yahoo.com/richardson-visits-moscow-griner-whelan-001037183.html[/url]

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/13/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Bout is/was a Soviet spy, arms dealer, and crony of Putin. I'm sure Russia has some use for him.

Putin, OTOH, has been facing increasing calls for him to resign or be impeached, on the grounds that he lied to the Russian public, is a war criminal, is an anachronism holding Russia back, and/or is an incompetent military leader.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/14/22 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LVFan.....check your pm box. Smile

PostPosted: 09/15/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/article/brittney-griner-paul-whelan-biden-meeting-8a9049fcedf67bdda9d0bac1b83d53c3

Griner, Whelan families to meet Biden amid US-Russia talks

Quote:
"While I would love to say that the purpose of this meeting is to inform the families that the Russians have accepted our offer and we are bringing their loved ones home — that is not what we’re seeing in these negotiations at this time,” Jean-Pierre said.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/16/22 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://apnews.com/article/brittney-griner-paul-whelan-biden-meeting-8a9049fcedf67bdda9d0bac1b83d53c3

In this article, the administration suggests that Richardson's efforts are not helpful and may be affirmatively harmful to the negotiation process.

Quote:
Friday’s meetings were scheduled before news broke this week of an unconnected trip to Russia by Bill Richardson, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations who has been a veteran emissary in hostage and detainee cases. Administration officials reacted coolly to that trip, with State Department spokesman Ned Price saying Wednesday that dialogue with Russia outside the “established channel” risks hindering efforts to get Griner and Whelan home.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/16/22 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what his vested interest in going over is, if not sent by the administration?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/16/22 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I wonder what his vested interest in going over is, if not sent by the administration?

I see it as similar to Jimmy Carter going overseas to witness elections - an elder statesman, respected by all. Just as elections run by fascist regimes continued to be corrupt despite Carter's presence, not every negotiation by Richardson will be immediately successful. But Richardson has earned respect with other successful outcomes in his presence. Of course the government cannot sanction contact outside the US admin structure. That was a very bland dismissal of Richardson's efforts.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/16/22 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I see it as similar to Jimmy Carter going overseas to witness elections - an elder statesman, respected by all. Just as elections run by fascist regimes continued to be corrupt despite Carter's presence, not every negotiation by Richardson will be immediately successful. But Richardson has earned respect with other successful outcomes in his presence. Of course the government cannot sanction contact outside the US admin structure. That was a very bland dismissal of Richardson's efforts.

Ah, I appreciate the insight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: